Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #31  
Progress, not perfection!

S/C/G: 132/118/110

Height: 5'0

Quote:
I love people who are brutally honest, it's so refreshing and entertaining
well, it's less about me being brutally honest, and more me not having a censor in my head filtering what comes out and what doesn't. lol.
offmyfranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #32  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Ok, here is a question, chickies.
I have never had any kind of waxing done down there and I have been thinking about, but here is my problem: I am very fair-skinned. I mean VERY. Also, I bruise very easily. I swear - you just give a bad look and I get a bruise.
Once, I attempted to do my own waxing - just the "bikini line" and not only it hurt like **** (though I am no pro, of course) but the worst part was that the area bruised up really badly - and the bruises all the colours - yellow, purple, blue - it was not pretty!
At that time, I had some Arnica ointment (for sore muscles and such) and it really helped with the bruises, they disappeared a few days later. I no longer have the Arnica (was never able to find it again - there are Arnica lotions but they are not nearly as good as the vaseline-like Arnica I had).
Do you get bruised, and if so, how long does it last?
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I've never bruised from a wax, and I have fair skin and do tend to bruise easily. I've waxed my own bikini line for touchups when I haven't had time to get to the waxer and yeah, I have bruised myself.

The thing is, when you do it yourself, most likely you're NOT going to have the quick "zipping" motion that a professional waxer will have. So the extended pulling from doing it yourself (a) makes it more painful and (b) makes it likely you'll bruise.

If you're REALLY concerned, call and make an appointment and tell them right up front that you're really concerned about this ... they can do a test area just to make sure.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #34  

The reason you bruised is because you weren't holding the skin tight enough, so the wax was pulling your skin. When you get a brazilian (or even a regular bikini wax), your esthetician will ask you to hold certain areas taut and you won't bruise. I'm a licensed esthetician and every time I try to wax myself I bruise because I just can't hold the skin tight and wax at the same time.

If you're afraid to get a brazilian, it's a good idea to go get a regular bikini wax for a few months so you become comfortable with the esthetician. I think that's the part people are most uncomfortable with; feeling vulnerable in front of a stranger. Definitely don't go for the cheapest you can find. This is something worth paying a little more money for. Get recommendations and find out how long the esthetician has been doing waxing. It's something that most estheticians need a lot of practice at before they get good. The last thing you want is a first wax with somebody who's only practiced on another student in beauty school.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #35  

Also, I've read that you shouldn't get waxed in the week before or after your period? I've never been waxed.. but I read that you are a lot more sensitive around that time.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #36  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Thanks ladies. I figured it had to do a lot with the fact that "I didn't know what I was doing", so to speak. At that time, I did it only on one side because when I saw the result, I had no intention to duplicate it on the other side. LOL
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #37  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

This is perhaps the funniest thread I've read on 3fc.

So, being an idiot - I tried to wax "down there" again this past week. I guess I forgot that last time I did it while preg it hurt like effin' crazy.

I am now the proud owner of a half waxed cooter. Since I can't reach down there at the moment, I have no idea what to do with the other side. DH was like...what shape were you trying to make with this one? bah! I guess I'll have to have him shave the rest.....which makes me very, very, very nervous.

Too bad there isn't a moron emoticon, it would be more than appropriate right now.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #38  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post

I am now the proud owner of a half waxed cooter.

DH was like...what shape were you trying to make with this one?
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #39  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeffryn View Post
I guess I'll have to have him shave the rest.....which makes me very, very, very nervous.
Good luck with that!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #40  

Quote:
I am now the proud owner of a half waxed cooter.
*snicker* God this thread is funny!

As far as your period - I've been waxed at every point in my cycle by now and I've never noticed much of a difference, to be honest. Some women I think have more issues with tenderness or swelling ... it's never bothered me. But there's no reason not to, other than for some women it might be a little more painful.

The only time I was ever uncomfortable was when I'd scheduled a waxing and completely forgot my period was due to start. So I .. um .. (TMI warning) had a tampon in while she was waxing. That made me feel awkward and so now I do try to schedule my waxings for NOT the week I'm on my period.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-20-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #41  

oh, man! Did the waxer notice that you had one in or did you kind of... tuck it?
Old 11-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #42  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post

The only time I was ever uncomfortable was when I'd scheduled a waxing and completely forgot my period was due to start. So I .. um .. (TMI warning) had a tampon in while she was waxing. That made me feel awkward and so now I do try to schedule my waxings for NOT the week I'm on my period.

Better to leave it in than deal with those consequences...

ick.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #43  

I tucked.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

This thread is killing me! You guys have totally made me appreciate the fact that I don't get brazilian waxes or a period!!!
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #45  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

I've always wanted to try. Maybe start with a bikini first until the spring maybe.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote