Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #391  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I am facing east and blowing as hard as I can so some of our mild west coast weather moves in that direction. So sorry you are all having to bear that cold!!

Shannon, I'm glad your water company is so responsive. Those guys must be very busy right now.

Yesterday, after I brought home several more anti-nausea shots from the vet, Pepper decided that he loves the Pill Pockets and actually ate the last of the Cerenia pills! But I can't get more pills until Monday, so I'll have to give him the shots today and tomorrow. We think he is eating more in general, so he may yet pull through.

I'm still feeling a bit puny from whatever bug I have, but except for a lot of coughing in the morning, it's not too bad. I am managing to get through my workouts and yesterday I did a fairly easy hike.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:08 AM   #392  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Sunday morning at 162.5.

The high yesterday was around 10 degrees. After wrenching the car out of a snow drift, and driving to the grocery store, and trudging to the gym, well-bundled-up, which many of the regulars had skipped, I stayed in. How I ran that gas oven of mine. Roasted parmesan butternut squash, roasted eggplant, roasted mixed vegetables, baked tofu triangles, a roasted chicken and then a loaf of Anadama bread. I would've made muffins, too, but I was out of rolled oats. Also a load of laundry where I longed to climb inside the hot dryer with the tumbling clothes.

Today at least the wind will stop, thankfully, as I've got a matinee ticket and will be walking around Times Square. I'll see if the cold has subdued the crowds in my least-favorite neighborhood to navigate through.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #393  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Alice, I'm glad you are recovering from being sick. And that Pepper is rallying. These IBD patients can be every bit as sick as those with indolent GI lymphoma.

Saef, I'm drooling at your menu of items from yesterday. Stay warm (and to all of you shivering from the cold spell). Dagmar, how are you surviving your long stints in the outdoors?

Jessica and Shannon, I've also started checking out yoga by Adrienne videos. I like her vibe a lot. I'll check out the Down Dog app also. Right now my running is mostly limited by my IT band pain and I need to get back into the yoga groove, it's always been the best thing for it. I managed a 10 mile run yesterday; the dregs of this virus made it feel like 50 but the sun was shining and that felt so nice.

New quarter starts tomorrow - ugh. A few weeks of break to concentrate on research and clinics without teaching was great, it's depressing that I'll be losing large chunks of time again. Not that each of those things isn't equally important - but I'm able to do 2 out of 3 well with the time I have, I've found.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #394  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post

Saef, I'm drooling at your menu of items from yesterday. Stay warm (and to all of you shivering from the cold spell). Dagmar, how are you surviving your long stints in the outdoors?
I wear a lot of technical clothing. Over 24 years I've found stuff that works best in combinations for the cold weather. Most of it is sold be LLBean and it's their "house" brand. It's made all over the world now but it still works, lasts at least one season, and fits my particular body type very well.

Their customer service is way above the ordinary too. I just had an incident with a shipment of theirs and the resolution was swift, polite, and entirely satisfactory to me. They also explained why they stopped using Canada Post for delivery and gladly accepted my feedback about their current carrier UPS (which sucks in my country).

And the service rep was someone in the US with an accent I could readily understand. I can't praise them enough!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #395  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Happy Monday?!

Hope all is well for all.
I'm back at work and running around like the proverbial chicken.

Just popping in to say hi...

Back to the crazy!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #396  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

157.6 this morning, and I didn't do too badly over the weekend calorie-wise. Had to approximate some stuff but I think I hit 1884 Saturday and 1697 Sunday. I need to do better on weekends. Doing good so far today.

I also found that there's a Blogilates app. I used to do her pilates workouts back a few years ago and always enjoyed her style. Might give that a try too!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #397  

All that yoga is really paying off as I age. I went smack flat onto my back this morning on concrete covered in snow and only have 2 small bruises and a bit of stiffness to show for it. Took some Robax about 15 minutes after the fall so that helped too but I think the yoga has helped me "fall well" more times than I can count.

Dagmar
Old 01-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #398  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone. Happy belated New Year. I'm back from a 6 day family trip to Colorado. For once, it went well. DH didn't blow up at the kids, oldest DS didn't complain (too much), and middle DS didn't ignore the rest of the family. We spent a great night socializing with some long-time friends in Aurora, then picked up my brother-in-law and drove to Breckenridge for 3 days of skiing (first time in Colorado; we've always skiied in northern MI). The weather was perfect (way way better than in MI), our hotel was adjacent to one of the big lifts, and no one got hurt. What more can I say?

I have no idea what I weigh, as I got back at midnight last night and got up at the last possible minute due to jetlag. Probably just as well, since I was clearly retaining water (ring was tight yesterday, and I must have peed 10 times today). I'm hoping weight is stable, considering I skiied 6 hours a day for 3 days straight (though I also ate all meals in restaurants/cafes where food items were frequently made with too much sugar, salt and oil).

Just checked out the Yoga With Adriene videos and also decided to subscribe. Now I just need to convince DH, who is constantly complaining about his upper back and knee pain, to start doing them with me.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 AM   #399  
Girl Gone Strong

Tuesday morning, and I realize that in the rising tension of Monday back at work, I didn't check in here. I worked until about 8:30 PM trying to stay abreast of several projects needing to be advanced all at once.

Well, I was 162 yesterday and am 161.8 today, so not much of a change.

I expect another long day but this one also packed with meetings, some ceremonial and kicking off the new year.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #400  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

So I started the yoga with Adriene yesterday. A week late, but that's ok. It was good. I felt great afterward and thought I'd have some stiffness today, but I don't, so that's good.

I made a huge batch of turkey vegetable soup, so that will be lunch for the next two weeks. Dinners will be light. Let there be weight loss!

I'm having a leak detector come today to see if we have leaks. I mean, we do all we can due to California being in a perpetual drought. First, we got rid of the lawn. Then we switched to Navy showers. The pool doesn't leak (we tested it). So why did my water bill double? The bill projects our usage at 9700 gallons and we used 25000. Something has to be wrong.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #401  
Workin' It

I'm glad so many are enjoying Adriene. 😀 Today was nice, a restorative one.

Michele - school was cancelled yesterday with the ice that wasn't, and I forgot to check my phone for my Fitbit all day and missed your challenge invite before it expired. Please invite me again next week, I enjoy them. I think his week is too late to resend the invite.

Long weekend here. I feel just on the edge of coming down with something. Busy time of year for me with tax form prep for the employees. Lots to do.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #402  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

157.6 again today. Yesterday ended at 1522 cals with a 30 min yoga session at lunchtime.

Today I got in 30 mins of tabata intervals on the elliptical and doing well on food so far. An old friend is coming to visit this weekend -- hopefully I can keep eating in check.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:14 AM   #403  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I'm having a leak detector come today to see if we have leaks. I mean, we do all we can due to California being in a perpetual drought. First, we got rid of the lawn. Then we switched to Navy showers. The pool doesn't leak (we tested it). So why did my water bill double? The bill projects our usage at 9700 gallons and we used 25000. Something has to be wrong.
Before they switched us to "automatic" readers our meter reader entered the number on our water consumption meter wrong and we got an astronomical bill.

We called in the proper reading and it was adjusted accordingly.

Dagmar
Old 01-10-2018, 06:16 AM   #404  

Back from the dogsit last night. Even though my clients have a huge house with all sorts of perks there are so many minor things that don't work that I'm always relieved to be back in my small but fully functional house.

Dagmar
Old 01-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #405  
Girl Gone Strong

Wednesday morning at 161.3 after working late last night again to stay abreast of projects.

Two days in a row of working hard & fast on a draft announcement or a 15-slide PowerPoint deck while also attending a lot of meetings, staying just ahead of having to hand in or present these things.

And I anticipate doing this again today, as I have to create materials for a meeting tomorrow and a meeting on Friday, and I also promised to get something else drafted by the end of the week.

Too many projects, and also I need to do those five year-end evaluations & schedule meetings to deliver them.