Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm really enjoying the weight lifting. I've done it before in a gym setting with machines rather than free weights. Can't do that at home, so all I have is the set of adjustable dumb bells, but I like the results.

I got up and did my routine today, adding a couple things and lowering the weight on a couple things so I don't hurt my rotator cuff again. Today's routine:

3 lb, 3 x 12 of some exercise DD taught me to strengthen the muscles around the rotator cuff
8 lb, 3 x 12 of
overhead extension
triceps extension
biceps curl
chest press
upright row
15 lb, 3 x 12 of
squats
lunges
bent over row
and then 60 crunches

It took a little longer today, mainly due to the extra exercises, but I feel really good about getting up and getting it done.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #77  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Thanks for the advice all! I went ahead and cancelled my membership. Now it's on me to do the weight work myself. I think it will be a good thing; I can focus on arms and abs where I need it, and not overdo my legs.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #78  

I have new enticement to make me lose this weight! I just booked a cruise for next summer!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #79  
Workin' It

I mowed my lawn for cardio on Friday - 1.5 hours in 96 degrees seemed fair to me for that. Saturday I did workout C of my strong curves and walked on the elliptical for 45 minutes, off Sunday. Elliptical again today, on track for workout a and elliptical tomorrow.

Food still a train wreck. Even the incentive of vacation in October isn't helping.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #80  

Nominal change in weight today. My alarm didn't go off and I was about 5 minutes late getting up, but that isn't a problem.

Workout:
15 lbs (12x3)
squats, lunges and bent-over rows
10 lbs (12x3)
upright rows
chest press
overhead press
biceps curls
triceps thingy (only one weight w/ both hands)
3 lbs (12x3)
rotator cuff thingy

I'll be taking Thursday off of working out (at least in the morning) because I can't have water before the colonoscopy.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #81  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
triceps thingy (only one weight w/ both hands)
French press / skull crusher?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #82  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
French press / skull crusher?
Nope. Triceps extension. I do them while sitting on the stability ball so working my core a little as well.

I forgot to add: my blood pressure seems to be coming down. It's weird, though, because if I take my BP when I first get out of bed, it's rather high. The past two days I've taken it post workout and it's close to normal. I would think that it'd be higher after the workout, right?

So, Birchey, I've booked a cruise around the British Isles! One day, we'll be in Wales (although I can't remember right now just where we'll be).
Old 07-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #83  
in development

Quote:

So, Birchey, I've booked a cruise around the British Isles! One day, we'll be in Wales (although I can't remember right now just where we'll be).
Terrific! If it's Holyhead and I'm around, let's meet up!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #84  

Quote:
Terrific! If it's Holyhead and I'm around, let's meet up!
Oh, my goodness! It is Holyhead! But it's not until June 2016.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #85  
in development

But June 2016? I haven't even got a diary for that far ahead! OTOH, it gives me /us plenty of time to get in shape!
Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #86  

Quote:

But June 2016? I haven't even got a diary for that far ahead! OTOH, it gives me /us plenty of time to get in shape!
Booking early saved a ton of money. And now I really have motivation to lose the weight!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #87  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
It's weird, though, because if I take my BP when I first get out of bed, it's rather high. The past two days I've taken it post workout and it's close to normal. I would think that it'd be higher after the workout, right?
Is it possible you have sleep apnea (pauses in your breathing while you sleep)? That problem drives up nocturnal blood pressure.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #88  

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
Is it possible you have sleep apnea (pauses in your breathing while you sleep)? That problem drives up nocturnal blood pressure.
I don't think I have apnea, but I do have arrhythmia and bradycardia according to my new fitness tracker.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #89  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi folks!

Shannon, the tattoo is lovely!

JZJ, wow, your hubby is skinny. I don't mean to be nosy and perhaps you've mentioned this before and my inconsistent checking in means I missed it, but does he have a medical problem that's leading to the weight loss? My DH is also right around 6' (I think he's 6'1") and the lowest his weight has ever been the entire time I've known him is 185, and that was when he was doing P90X and training for a half marathon and briefly had sixpack abs.

I'm continuing to make progress! It's getting easier and easier to eat properly now that I'm in a routine. I've been sticking to 1400ish most days with one day around 1800 and it's working. I saw 149.6 on the scale this morning -- first time under 150 in about two and a half years. Exercise has not been happening at all really, but that's okay for now.

On the other hand, I had someone ask me if I was pregnant this past weekend. Again. Sigh. The worst part though was that when I said no, she said, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you." I didn't say it but I was thinking, shouldn't YOU be the one who is embarrassed? You're the one who just said something completely inappropriate to a total stranger, how are you NOT embarrassed about it?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #90  
Workin' It

I made my weight workout and 45 minutes on the elliptical last night. I was proud of myself, as I didn't start the exercise until after 8 last night. On track tonight for elliptical.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to stick with Strong Curves or buy Body Beast. I have a hard time with DVD based programs, so I may just stick with this one for a while. A trainer told me once to pick a program and stick with it more than a few weeks before I change my mind. LOL

We have had DSS all week this week, since last Friday night, and boy a I not cut out for the full time mom things. I've been working from home in the mornings, taking him to camp at 1, and then going to my office until about 6. Home, dinner, then working out late, his bedtime in the summer is 10, so we don't often get him down until 10:15 or so, grownups take until midnight or so til settle, back up early for breakfast. Whew. Kudos to you guys who do it every day. I think it is why my food has been erratic this week - dinners have been good, but breakfast and lunch has been a mess.

ETA - thanks Jessica! And sorry for the woman and her remark. Yick.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 07-29-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote