Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #211  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Good morning.

I almost had a day of perfect logging yesterday. Not the all of it was the healthiest foods in the world, mind you, but I still logged it all and was about within my calorie range. Theeen I had a bowl of cereal before bed.

But! It was still so close to being back on track. Today I am determined to make it and stay there.

bargoo Good job on the loss!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #212  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

I am having an Angry Day. Rather than rant about not-so DH, I am going to use the few extra minutes to go breathe deeply. If it works, I'll stop by later.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Becky re "not so DH". I've got one of those on occasion too.

Dagmar
Old 01-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #214  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

What have I done to my Sunday?

I slept till almost 6:30 AM -- I get up at 4 AM on weekdays, usually -- and then was angry at myself at this, convinced that now there was no way I could do all that I meant to do. Which included going to the gym, but also returning a laser mouse at the drug store, printing a government form at the library (because our printer is out of commission), visiting the ATM, stopping at the Greyhound terminal to pick up an 18th century English corner cupboard shipped to me from Texas, picking up a mahogany demilune table that I saw yesterday at the antique show, cooking a cabbage, carrots & chicken stew, and finishing up a lot of office work on my laptop. I was practically crying on the Stairmaster at the gym at the thought of having to do all this. And then that wonderful thing about cardio happened, which always happens if I keep at it for more than about 20 minutes. Somehow it clears my head. The nervous energy gets burned off. And I step off the machine becalmed and feeling a lot more methodical.

Still, this is no way to spend a Sunday. No way to live, really.

And I wonder why my weight keeps teetering. Clearly, it's stress.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #215  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
What have I done to my Sunday?

I slept till almost 6:30 AM -- I get up at 4 AM on weekdays, usually -- and then was angry at myself at this, convinced that now there was no way I could do all that I meant to do. Which included going to the gym, but also returning a laser mouse at the drug store, printing a government form at the library (because our printer is out of commission), visiting the ATM, stopping at the Greyhound terminal to pick up an 18th century English corner cupboard shipped to me from Texas, picking up a mahogany demilune table that I saw yesterday at the antique show, cooking a cabbage, carrots & chicken stew, and finishing up a lot of office work on my laptop. I was practically crying on the Stairmaster at the gym at the thought of having to do all this. And then that wonderful thing about cardio happened, which always happens if I keep at it for more than about 20 minutes. Somehow it clears my head. The nervous energy gets burned off. And I step off the machine becalmed and feeling a lot more methodical.

Still, this is no way to spend a Sunday. No way to live, really.

And I wonder why my weight keeps teetering. Clearly, it's stress.
I think this is probably a "normal" Saturday/Sunday schedule for a lot of us.
It would be great to have a "day off" sometimes. I would sneak off to a hotel, wearing my PJ's and carrying a big sack of books and magazines and a box of tea.

Dagmar
Old 01-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #216  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

saef, yes stress does have a lot to do with our weight. With some, like me, it leads to nervous, careless eating and some , when stressed go the opposite way and can't eat.
saef, exciting to hear of your new purchases, I hope you will post pictures when every thing comes together in your new, rebuilt home.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-23-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #217  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Dagmar, thanks for the good vibes. I've read about some of your spousal challenges in the chat thread. Yep, I get it. NSDH and I have been married for 22 years, probably about 10 too long, and I suspect we'll have a reasonably peaceful split in about 5 more years. Most of the time, we have a fairly civilized partnership, but we've worn out the relationship and are pretty much together because it's practical. Given how little we talk to each other, coordinating kid tasks would be a nightmare if we had to conduct it by phone.

saef, I hope you were able to navigate the rest of your tasks without too much angst. Stress is definitely a contributor to weight issues, which causes more stress. Not good! Wishing you just a few free hours this week to do something nice for yourself that will bring you some peace.

Bunneh - logging it all, especially on a weekend, is something I haven't been too good with. This is puzzling, since I've found there's a very obvious correlation between how well I log and how well I can take off weight! The power of the pencil (or keyboard) cannot be denied - we can't plead ignorance if we are staring at evidence.

bargoo, great job with the 8.4. May this week be smooth and blipless!

Re exercise, I was active in softball and swimming as a kid and never was "fat" - I just had the unlucky coincidence of being surrounded by a lot of kids who were built like twigs. They were pretty good about letting me know I was the biggest of the bunch. On land, I am also slow and fairly clumsy, and I tend to get rather flushed in the face when exerting myself. This is the year I made a pledge to try more new things, and to gain a decent level of fitness. I'm intending to test the repairing shoulder in the pool this week to see if it's ready yet. The myofascial release massages really helped a lot, and I will definitely add that to the toolkit!

I'm annoyed that I let the issues of yesterday get me off track. I should have enough practice at this by now to be able to separate feeding from anger. Perhaps I need to try Martha Beck's technique of the Hate 'n' Rage journaling (which you destroy when you're done - see "evidence" above).

In spite of myself, I am at 155 this morning, having dropped another pound over the weekend. On to the next one, which will take me back to 20 lbs under my highest.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #218  

ICU, congratulations on losing a pound. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #219  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

My weekend veered totally off-track. Some combination of not eating enough breakfast, having a big craving for bread, and being generally grumpy for no apparent reason (though in retrospect, I am expecting TOM this week, so that is probably why). Weight is up a pound today.

I find that I need to eat bread on a fairly regular basis, otherwise I get overwhelmed with an immense bread craving and will buy and eat an entire loaf. If whenever I feel the need I can have one slice of wheat bread, I'm perfectly satisfied with that. We didn't have bread in the house the past two weeks though and it drove me nuts. DH, on the other hand, cannot control himself and will eat 3 PB&J's a day if we have bread around, so I didn't buy bread to humor him the past two weeks. The result? Both of us ate a massive amount of bread this weekend. I think we just need to stick to buying a loaf of ww sandwich bread and I will try to monitor him so he doesn't eat too much of it.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

What about buying a loaf of nice bread and keeping it in the freezer? It would be great for you if you just want a slice, you can pop it in the toaster and have a piece of toast. It would slow your husband down because 1) bread is in the freezer so you tend to forget it 2) it's hard to get frozen bread to the perfect temp/consistency to make a PB&J (not impossible, just difficult).
Old 01-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #221  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
What about buying a loaf of nice bread and keeping it in the freezer? It would be great for you if you just want a slice, you can pop it in the toaster and have a piece of toast. It would slow your husband down because 1) bread is in the freezer so you tend to forget it 2) it's hard to get frozen bread to the perfect temp/consistency to make a PB&J (not impossible, just difficult).
I was going to suggest the exact same thing! I keep a loaf of bread in the freezer all the time because I need to be prepared for those rare days when DS is home at lunch and I don't have anything else to feed him. Granted, these days if that happens he can hop in the car and drive himself to Del Taco, but I still like being prepared!

Managed a decent hike on Saturday morning before the winds kicked up. I kind of like when I go with my MIL as she doesn't have as much stamina and we have to take more breaks for her to catch her breath. Using this method to disguise my own limitations made it so I didn't end up with muscle soreness the next day. But boy did it wear me out! We went to a concert that evening and I kept nodding off ! ((how embarrassing!))

Goal for the week: be 100% spot on each and every day AND force myself at least once to get in either a good walk with the dog or on the treadmill or elliptical.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #222  
Recovering Pantry Pest

I'm here and hanging on. Very today; I woke up about 2:30 and simply could not go back to sleep. I went downstairs and watched my water softener cycle, I went upstairs and spied on two deer that were browsing on our crabapple trees, I got a big drink of water, I tried to go back to sleep ... Yesterday was on track until after dinner, and then the Sneaky Hate Spiral came back. I've GOT to make the leap into channeling that energy into some form of exercise. It very well may have been the after-dinner shenanigans that cost me the night's sleep. Lesson learned, at least temporarily.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #223  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi all,
I haven't logged in for a month or so, but I've been reading the threads and keeping track of everyone. Life is finally starting to become a bit manageable for me so I'm back to posting-

I have managed to lose then maintain down to 141-142 over the last month. My immediate goal is to maintain this loss. The last 5 will happen just as slowly, but I know I can make them happen.

One challenge is that my new boyfriend is a tall skinny bike rider with a metabolism like a racehorse on speed. Seriously, he wakes up and eats a bunch of chocolate for breakfast. And he drinks a lot of beer. So I need to be sure that I'm NOT trying to keep up with him because it would be disastrous.

The other challenge is that my new job is stressful, a bit frantic and not great. I really dislike a lot about how things are done there and what is expected of me. It was a bad job switch, but too late for me to move back now- i just have to deal with it and not eat my feelings.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #224  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
One challenge is that my new boyfriend is a tall skinny bike rider with a metabolism like a racehorse on speed. Seriously, he wakes up and eats a bunch of chocolate for breakfast. And he drinks a lot of beer. So I need to be sure that I'm NOT trying to keep up with him because it would be disastrous.
Just keep in mind that one day all that will catch up to him, but in the mean time, you're right--don't try to keep up!!!

I was so OP yesterday and got rewarded with a half pound gain. I hate when that happens. I know it's just the rise and fall of normal weight loss, but still.

Tomorrow I go see my doctor. I know I'm about 10 pounds over what I was the last time I saw him, and that bothers me, but at least I'm doing something about it. Just hoping the gain didn't cause any blood pressure increase. The last time I saw a doctor (different one) the nurse indicated my BP was borderline high, but at that time I attributed it to trying to complete the paperwork for my DS (we both went in for ear problems) and I was hurrying and that = stress that = higher BP.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #225  

Jay, glad to see you posting again. I know it is terrible to go to a job that you don't like but I would advise doing the best you can and learn as much as you can. Think of it as a stepping stone to a better paying , more enjoyable job in the future.
Closed Thread