Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #121  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Down three pounds from last Friday, though that's mostly due to time-of-month (as it's so quaintly called around here) finally abating.

I'm sitting at my desk trying to calm down. The snowstorm that wasn't supposed to start till after I'd left the gym began when I was in my 5:45 AM spin class, oblivious, in a windowless room with a lot of music playing. I came out & saw through the gym's big sweating plate-glass windows that the cars were white heaps and that we were already in the middle of a fast-falling band of lake effect snow. I had a white-knuckled drive home. I was actually breathing the way I do during a hard cardio session. The plows hadn't been out at all. It was hard to even see where the road ended and began. I tried following in tracks but slid this way and that way. At every familiar landmark -- like Citgo and Tim Horton's and a mall with a grocery store -- I kept debating with myself over whether to turn in and wait. I couldn't believe it when I got home. And I was shaking so hard I could barely stand up after climbing very, very carefully out of the car.

I think we'll get six or eight inches today. Of course, schools are closed all over.

Last edited by saef; 01-13-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Even though I live in California we sometimes get ice on the road. I have skidded driving my car on an icy road. Scary!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #123  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

So frightening, saef. And that shaking is like nothing else. Glad you're home.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #124  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

saef - glad you made it back! There's nothing that feels as awful as losing control of your car. I remember one drive home where I literally had to peel my fingers off the steering wheel. Sorry you had to go through that, and hope you have some time today to do something really nice for yourself, inside where it's warm and dry!

Last edited by ICUwishing; 01-13-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #125  
Workin' It

I'm glad that you made it home, Saef. I've driven on ice like that and it is terrifying.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #126  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Saef, glad you made it back okay! I recall a similar white-knuckled drive home from occupational therapy in Providence during an ice storm. The last 30 minutes of the drive consisted of going one block up a hill from the stoplight to my apartment complex. So many people had been sliding back down the hill there was a huge backup, and I was so afraid that either someone would slide down into me or I'd slide into the person behind me. I was tempted to get out and leave my car blocking traffic and just walk home.

Becky, the cauliflower recipe wasn't meatless but it was low-meat (1/2 lb meat for 4 servings). I will look it up and post right now.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Back when I lived in SLC, driving in snow and blizzards never phased me. I don't know how I'd fare now that I'm older and don't feel uninvincible (is that a word?).

I'm being driven crazy at work! The office building next door is having the parking lot resurfaced. At first I thought they would just do a slurry coat and repaint the stripes. No, I think they're taking up all the old asphalt and laying it new. My building has been rumbling all day!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Glad you made it home ok saef. I too was driving in snow and blow for half the day today. Laffie's first storm. He did quite well, except for the wipers (which are the winter ones with the rubber "overshoes" on them). He made several loud "clunking" sounds on the hills (the beach area is full of hills) which turned out to be his ABS engaging.

I am quite comfortable driving in snow etc. as I drive all day long. The wipers were frustrating though (as was all the fog all over the windows from all the hyper-excited dogs).

Hap and Bella found a drift large enough that they could tunnel through it. They did this several times and then the whole thing collapsed on them. Whee! they clambered out and ran off in search of MORE!

Even my seniors were all happy to be out in the snow, rolling on their back and making "doggie angels". All the excitement and joy at being out in SNOW made the day pass quickly.

Oops - time to eat the turkey slow cooker science experiment.

TGIF!!!

Dagmar
Old 01-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #129  
Recovering Pantry Pest

300 cals over for yesterday, but still doing fine on the week's average. 2.5 loss for Mon-Fri. Now the tough part. . Good thing I am in motivated company!

Dagmar, were you playing in the snow too?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

icu, good job 2.5 pounds ! Congratulations !
Old 01-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #131  

ICU Unfortunately my play in the snow is limited. As the pack leader I can't get down right to the level of the dogs. And I don't run because Bella has already ripped 2 pairs of my pants "catching" me and for winter I wear $200 Gortex most days. Can't fix those.

So I contented myself throwing snowballs for the dogs and jumping on and off a big log into a drift. Hap immediately picked up on this one and did me one better. She jumped on to the log at one end, ran down its length, and threw herself into the drift at the other end. Then she put her front feet up on the log to see what I'd do. I followed her lead, and Bella and Billie followed me.

I have a lot of fun with that particular group. Female labradors are my favourite dogs and this group is almost all that (Hap's mom went off with a sheperd I think so she's half something else).

Dagmar
Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #132  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Dagmar, the dogs are lucky to have you!

Bargoo, thanks! If this goes the way my last loss did, it will be a pound at best per week from here on out. I am truly the turtle!

Dinner at inlaws went fairly well. I focused on the vegetables. No greens today, but there was steamed broccoli and two kinds of cabbage. I had one beer more than intended (145c) and my piece of apple bundt cake was over by about 50%. I can't be sure, but I think I was close. Tomorrow I'll go under a bit.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #133  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

An up-and-down week but today I'm down 0.1kg on last Sunday. This is going in the right direction, I know, but 3.5oz is not a lot. Even the max-min fluctuation over the week has been only 1.1 lb. There have been some poor days, though. I am especially challenged by being at home, alone, wading through domestic tasks, and I've had a couple of days like that because of scheduling difficulties. This coming week will be better.

I'm going to change the ticker every Sunday so I've changed it (up) to show that number.

Good work at the in-laws and on the big loss, Becky. I'll be happy if I can join you in losing a pound a week.

Dagmar, Gore-Tex is expensive but very, very good. Such a brilliant invention. It has transformed outdoor clothing.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #134  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm watching the weather with a wary eye, as I've got to drive downstate tomorrow to do a walk-through of my gutted apartment with the electrician to talk about wiring and outlets.

It seems to have stopped snowing sometime last night, as there's just a fine dusting over what was clean wet pavement. But now whatever was wet has iced over, as at 6:40 AM, it's two degrees below zero (-19 degrees celsius, for those on the metric system). When I went outside to walk down to the foot of the drive to get the newspaper, the packed snow made that creaking, crunching noise that signals that it's really, really cold. I'm delaying heading outside to drive through the dark to the gym. I don't want to sit in my car in the parking lot with the heater running waiting for it to open.

I think I'll wear my fleece zip-up top, as I believe the yoga room is going to be quite chilly from being closed up overnight.

This weather makes me want to eat & eat, even when I am not hungry. It's like a biological imperative. I'm going to try to turn that to something useful like making a big pot of soup later this afternoon.

Last edited by saef; 01-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #135  

Default a little OT

silverbirch I have no hesitation in shelling out the money for the Gortex and other higher tech clothing. My job would otherwise be a misery from about Nov. - late April.

Here's a fun thing. When all of you get ready for work in the morning picture me getting ready. This is what I "wear" from Nov - April and beyond, every day at work.

From the skin out
Bottom:
Cotton undies, poly/cotton tights, fleece leggings, gortex pants, wool socks (different weights depending on temps outside), and light hiking boots.

Top:
sports bra, poly/cotton mockneck, poly fleece hoodie, parka, one or two sets of gloves (depending on temps)

All this is "accessorized" by a big pouch around my waist, containing all sorts of doggie stuff, 6 leather dog leashes hanging from my neck, and sunglasses.

Make-up? Very good quality sunscreen and lip balm. And I always wear my silver and gold love-knot earrings (a gift from DH) to add that "girlie" touch to the ensemble.

And I can still drive, walk, trot, throw a ball and bend over!

for the high tech clothing industry. Now if only they would bring back the style of parka with 6 pockets and make it 4 inches longer than my present one . . .

Dagmar
Closed Thread