Old 09-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #121  

Cool

Hi All,

GUESS WHAT!!! I bought a scale this weekend and I weighed myself and (drum roll please....) I lost 5 lbs!!!! Now me being skeptic I am, because I think all scales are evil...lol, I do not trust the scale. But, I see my life-plan is working so I am soooo Happy . I can finally move my ticker...lol

GO GI!!!!!

Last edited by Pherrise; 09-19-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Pherrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #122  

Weigh to go Pherrise!!! Congrads!!! I agree scales can be evil (very very evil) But as you said the life plan is working. Keep up the great work.

I had a weigh in today Wednesday Sept 21 and lost 2 lbs so, I was happy but a little dissapointed as I worked really hard with the food plan, which I love and did eat a lot of those foods already (probalaly too much!!) and I did a lot or brisk walking 28 miles for the week so I thought I would have lost more than 2 but that is better than a gain.
I have promised myself to stck as close as possible to the GI plan for 12 weeks by than a lot of my choices should become a habit so I still have 11 more to go I do have a mini goal of 10 lbs fo oct 22 I know it is a little big butt I do have 2 off now so there is 8 left and abotu 6 weeks so it may be doable. Just perservre right? I love to come here and read what yu people post this is such a wonderful siite and you all are a great inspiration and checking in here has kept me motivated for the last week Thanks guys your great. Have a great day

Last edited by barbie40; 09-21-2005 at 02:39 PM.
barbie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #123  
A Happy Canuk Chiky

Hello everyone been catching up on postings alot..and everyone is doing great for the most part. I was on vacation for 3 weeks then started packing etc as Im moving at end of month so dieting has been the last thing on my minds thats for sure not that I'm overdoing it now..Vacation was another story lol...I went to the East Coast of our beautiful country and totally pigggggggggggged out on all the seafood and home cooking was a fantastic experience. So I hope to get on track again once I'm settled. I'm contimplating joining a Truestar Health For Women here in Barrie going for a consultation next week. They work with the GI Diet as well. Plus you get personal trainer all the time. Which is what I need big time since exercise is out the window these past few months for me. Other than walking (which I'm having problems with as I did something to my foot while away) have to go for xrays I think. Keeps swelling up.

Great stuff with the scale Pherrise I haven't broke down and got one yet. I was slave to it when I did Atkins and drove me nuts when I didnt lose enough. So at the moment I'm just going by the clothing fit. And the calorie intake/portion size I'm starting to believe along withthe GI is really important I didnt pay much attention but I think that was alot of my problem especially the portion. I rarely eat junk food as a rule but larger portions were norm for me.

Nice to be back and see new folks I'm hoping to keep up with the postings the support is great here.

Happy GI'ing
Wendy
chiky1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #124  

Happy October everyone!!!

I think I have the hang of the scale now... I have decided to only use the scale once a week, Monday morning (like today) to view my progress. And to my surprise, I am down a few more pounds from my last posting. Portion control has really been my thing for the past week, no more going for seconds... OHHH but its sooo hard!!lol. I do have a question for the group though, let me know your thoughts...

I have noticed that ever since I stopped working out (its been 3 weeks) I started to lose weight. It has always been my thought, for me at least, that my body builds muscle really fast when I exercise and that adds to my pounds, so I never lose weight. My fear has been that, if I continue to workout, I will end up weighing my current weight, which is too close to 300 than I would like it to be, but look like a body builder...lol, not that anything is wrong with that, but I want to lose actual pounds. Since its the pounds that have me in the high risk category. Does anyone have that problem? I am going to start back slowly, with some cardio and yoga. I did speak with my doctor about it, and of course, she says to continue to exercise, that YES I will be building muscle, but I will burn the fat also. Let me know what you think....

Old 10-11-2005, 02:31 AM   #125  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Hi Ladies

Been a while - but I am still here

I have been plodding along introducing healthier low GI products into my diet. I made some great things this week already. Stir fry soba noodles with chicken (buckwheat soba noodles that were really nice!), spinach and ricotta cannelloni (although I added some pork mince for OH ) and last night I made fajita's (sp?). Will post the receipes tonight when I get home.

I went for a decent walk on the weekend - we only had one fine day, the weather is just so unpredictable at the moment. The wettest spring we have had in 11 years I think. So anyway, I walked 6kms with the dogs and OH and my butt and inner thighs are still feeling it. Feels good . I am going to jump on the orbitrek tonight - finally got it out of retirement from the garage - and will do about 30 mins i think and then some upper body weights. I need to get back into weights as they really increased my metabolism last time i did them and lost heaps of weight.

I bought some lean cuisine meals to keep at work as I am still buying crap when I go out to get lunch - not the mention the price . So that is a good thing too. I had tortellini for lunch that was ok. Just had about 5 glasses of water so I feel really full now. Also restocked the herbal tea supplies at work so I can stop having so many coffees.

Pherrise - as you know muscle weighs more than fat. You will find that your metabolism is increasing so even when you are not working out, your body still has that fire burning that will burn off the calories. Of course the weight loss will be greater with exercise - so don't stop! How are you working out with weights? Is it to failure? What specific weight are you lifting? It sounds strange that you aren't seeing any movement on the scale, but keep going with the weights and the cardio. Cardio will be the major fat burning element.

You will have to lift major, and i mean major, amounts of weight to get bodybuilder size muscles and increase protein significantly.

If you want I can send you the way I do weights which is fast and aerobic, based on Joyce Vedrals program. Very good and you will have your upper body and lower body done in 30 mins depending on the amount of work you want to do (up to 50mins max). It is aerobic because you don't allow yourself major rests throughout the session and work with the pyramid system.

Perhaps I have gone overboard with the questions but let us know - we want to help and I would love to give you support.

Take care
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #126  

Hi everyone just started the Gi diet after reading Rick Gallops book Living the GI diet.. its been very hard to find support groups for this diet though! I even went as far as starting a yahoo group called living the gi diet but so far its just me and my sister since I put the group up yesterday LOL oh well Im giving it time and since I finally found this site I figured Id join in here as well.
Im really excited about this eating plan , and havent been hungry at all..Im an emotional eater so Im hopeing it helps me control that as well. There are a TON of recipes in the book I bought so Id be happy to share.. I like how the book is broken down in to traffic light colors it makes it dummy proof for me LOL!
Anyone else reading this book?
Thanks for letting me ramble!
Kristy
Sillver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #127  

Thumbs up Welcome Silver

Just joined aswell- good luck with the GI plan- i a sort of restarting a gi plan tonite- its the unislim diet- minaly i think in Ireland.

Anyway may come back to you later ofr those recipes.

BFM- tell us a bit about yourself.

GGG
gogirlgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #128  

Thanks for the welcome Im a 34 year old stay at home mom.. all my kids are in school now so I may look for a part time job next year but Im really enjoying the peace and quiet so Im not in a huge hurry
I have about 55 pounds I want to lose and since my weight has been going up instead of down I figured I better get off my butt and lose it! Im so tired of clothes shopping and having it be a nightmare so hopefully this will be what works for me .
Id be more than happy to post some recipes.. Im actually trying one tonight its garlic shrimp fettuccini, using wheat pasta instead of regular, and I have 2 more planned for tomorrow and Thursday. Ones Mushroom and beef barley soup, the other is Rosemary roasted chicken thighs.. these come right from Rick Gallops book..
Would love to know more about you all

Kristy
Old 10-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #129  

Hello Everyone, WELCOME new GI'ers!!!

Thanks Daisy, you tips are helpful, but I think I may have been typing too fast in my previous post. I DO NOT want to be a body builder....lol. I have noticed that when I exercise, I do not lose pounds, actually I gain, and I know its muscle. But recently, I have just been eating Low-GI and not exercising and I am seeing the pounds come off. I will start back gradually, by doing some cardio and yoga, but I dont want to add anything else, because the progress I already have in losing will be re-gained. I hope that makes sense.

Everyone - - I like seeing the recipies here, they are really giving me some great ideas for alternative meals....

Keep up the great work everyone!!! WE CAN DO IT! GOOOOOO GI!!!! (no, I was not a cheerleader in a previous life...LOL)
Old 10-11-2005, 06:52 PM   #130  

Thumbs up Recipe

Just thought I would share an awesome recipe from the Living the GI diet book.. tried this tonight for the first time and its yummy and filling.

Garlic Shrimp Pasta
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil
6 Cloves of garlic minced
1\4 Tsp of red pepper flakes
1\2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth (low fat low sodium kind)
1 pound of large raw shrimp peeled and devained
1/2 Cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 Tablespoon non hydrogenated soft margarine
6 ounces of whole wheat linguine or fettuccine

1. bring large pot of salted water to boil
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic starts to turn golden, about 1 minute.Add the wine and bring to a boil.Add the shrimp and cook until pink and firm, about 5 minutes.Add the parsley and margarine and cook until the margarine is melted.

Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente, drain and add the pasta to the shrimp mixture, toss to coat with sauce.

Ok.. here are the only two mods I made to this recipe.. because my daughter would be eating it and I didnt want the wine taste to strong I added 1\2 cup of wine and 1\2 cup of chicken stock to mellow out the wine taste some. I also used a pound and a half of shrimp instead of 1 lb.
I also used healthy harvest whole wheat pasta, the wide noodle version.

Enjoy!
kristy
Old 10-17-2005, 12:11 PM   #131  

Default hi from a newbie

hi to everyone...I have really REALLY got to get a handle on my weight! I am a stress eater and have recently gone through a divorce and financial problems and a crazy ex and you can just imagine what I look like. I want to try the GI plan because I have always suffered from terrible hunger while on traditional diets and I think I need to normalize my insulin levels.

I am off to Amazon to buy a book or two (yeah, I can't afford it but so what, I can't afford all the junk food I buy either!)

Haven't read all the posts yet here..I am looking forward to getting to know you all.

Suz
Katmaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #132  

Default Newbie

Hi Everyone:
Can I introduce myself to this forum and thread?

For a while I was successful - 2 months and a 20 lb. weight loss. Then I fell off the wagon, gave up, threw in the towel, wimped out, gave in to cravings etc....... I feel like an idiot because after 7 months of pleasure eating I gained back 15 lbs. of the 20 I lost.
It is now near the end of October and a few weeks ago I cracked my upper tibia when I fell off a ladder only 4 feet, landing on my feet! That was quite a wakeup call since I used to be fairly athletic and a 4 foot drop onto my feet should never have broken or cracked anything! Maybe a sprain or pulled ligament. I can't believe what a physical wreck I have become. I guess it sort of crept up on me and one day I got a cold slap in the face. I am on crutches for 3 more weeks. I am excercising my upper body for now on a Total Gym and have gotten serious about re-starting and staying on the G.I. Diet. I've been successfully doing The Low G.I. Diet for 3 1/2 weeks now. I don't want this to be a sob story, just have to pick myself up, dust off and get back in the fight. I found out the hard way that the humiliation, agony, self hatred etc. isn't worth losing what you have fought hard for! I've had it with the yo yo thing, back in the saddle and that's where I'm staying.
TTYL.
Quincy.
Quincy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #133  

Default Does this help hypoglycemia?

Does this way of eating help hypoglycemia. I get shaky in between meals, crave carbs really bad, I tried South Beach a few dozen times, & can't stay on it. I'm getting mixed messages, some sites say that low-carb & high protein is the way to go, some day more whole grain carbs. Help!?
India-Ink21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #134  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherrise
Hello Everyone, WELCOME new GI'ers!!!

............I DO NOT want to be a body builder....lol. I have noticed that when I exercise, I do not lose pounds, actually I gain, and I know its muscle. But recently, I have just been eating Low-GI and not exercising and I am seeing the pounds come off. I will start back gradually, by doing some cardio and yoga, but I dont want to add anything else, because the progress I already have in losing will be re-gained. I hope that makes sense.
Hi Pherrise:
I started excercising on a Total Gym doing more of a cardio workout. I'm thinking this can only be beneficial. Since muscle is heavier than fat then you may not lose much weight for a while but you should lose inches off your waist, or wherever your body so kindly stores the extra for you . Two things about excercising I've noticed. One is good, one not so good. When I workout then of course I am hungrier wanting to eat more (not so good), but I feel better physically and mentally when I do workout so I turn less to food for comfort (this is good). Also, more muscle increases your metabolism so it burns more fat. Excersize is not a must for weight loss but does help, not to mention that it keeps your bones strong so you don't develop osteoporosis as you get older.
My wife's grandmother was in an old age home and didn't like an elderly man there because he punched her once, and gave her a black eye, so when he was shuffeling by one day she reached out with her cane and tripped him. Because he had osteoporosis his broken bone did not heal too well and it almost killed him. Moral of the story....... you do not want to develop osteoporosis.
TTYL.
Quincy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:39 PM   #135  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Default I would like to join...

i have been looking for a diet that my DH and I can live with for a while now. We have been on Atkins and now that I have decided to go off the diet (after two weeks of crazy eating some crazy stuff) I decided that a life style change has to be PERMANT and I really dont think that I can go without a sandwhich for the rest of my life, or get through the hoildays with only a select number of veggies one can eat. (yes, there is low carb bread, but the stuff is like cardboard!) So....to make a long story short, I did learn I HAVE to workout (yuck!) and I have to cut the bad carbs. I lost 3 pounds, but one apple, or piece of bread would have me 1 or 2 pounds up the scale. A person cannot expect to live a whole life that way. I have been researching the GI diet online and it looks good, so I want to try it.

My question is how long has everyone been on it, and have you lost wieght?

thanks!
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote