Old 08-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #61  

Hello

Welcome Maryblu. We would love to have your company here on this thread. Lainnie calls us the intropsective self analzying group. I think that sums us up. Right now including you there are only 4 of us, so someday don't be discouraged if there a no new postings. We always get back to one another it is just some days it takes a bit of time.

I do remember MN very foudly. I was rasied in the Northern part-born in Ely and went to elementary school in Hibbing. I love it's tranquility and beauty but gotten too soft for the harder winters. I still miss lake swimming, When in cal had to use a pool, I hated the smell of chlorine along with the crowds and noise. The pool I use now is outdoors and often I am the only one in it due to foggy or rainy weather-fine with me. My husband has never been to the state and one of goals when I am down another 100 lbs is take a road trip thur the state. Right now the weight is too hard on my joints so my mobility is too painful.

I agree you can do both posting in that Beck is changing your mind set about food and I think fat smashers is a food plan. What do like about fat smashers and what grabs you about Beck?

I am in a transition day-2 days of splurge eating which for me that is more wine and processed carbs. Now to get back to my lower carbs and on 1500 cals a day which I need to record each measured amount of food. Actually I can tell my body is tired of the richer stuff. Even my husband is ready to eat more modestly.

warmly
sue
coastalsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #62  

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalsue View Post
Lainnie calls us the intropsective self analzying group.
Yes~ exactly.

Welcome, Maryblu. It never occurred to me that there might be lurkers!

I watched a Tyra show and they had the author from 3 diet books on, including the Fat Smash guy, and they had a little show contest to see which guru's dieters would do the best over some weeks, and the Fat Smash guy won handily. One of the others was the pretty gravelly-voiced trainer from The Biggest Loser. She and the Fat Smash guy were arguing and digging each other...it was painful and so unprofessional to watch. Anyway, of course I own the book. It does seem really sane and balanced.

I've been reducing my caffeine, and the last two days Ive slept a lot. A lot. I'm down to a medium coffee (which is like 22 oz) and diet soda during the day. I drink a lot of coffee and I know it's not helping me any or my liver or my feeling of peace and control. If I get into any sort of difficult situation, if I'm jittery, I'm just that much more likely to turn to food.

I'm just going to cut back, not all the way. I do want to get off aspartame, tho. There's a good possibility that it can increase fat or hunger since it causes insulin to be put out into the body, but there's no food for the insulin to go to. (I knew this but it was in the 4 Day Win book and it's an easy enough thing to do) Plus I never drink water b/c I'm always drinking soda.

Those are two easy things I can do that aren't directly involved with cutting out food.

Im so glad I can write here b/c the people in my life don't want to hear ANY of this.

girly~
girlythin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #63  
Banishing the Belly

S/C/G: 180/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey Ladies,

Welcome Maryblu! Wow, a new threadmate! Great to have you here! As you've seen from lurking, we are loosely following the Beck Diet Solution here. We mostly try to analyze why we are eating the way we are, and how to prevent the bad stuff and cement the good stuff into place instead of strictly following Beck's lessons day by day.

We've lately been talking about the 4Day Win by Martha Beck but Sue and I don't have copies yet. I couldn't find one. I just moved and havent found the local bookstore yet.

Tomorrow my goal is to work on portion size and eating sitting down--two of Martha Beck's lessons. I partied quite a bit today because we had friends over for beer, so I ate more junk than I would have otherwise. It's back to plan tomorrow though: 1500 calories or less and every bite recorded on FitDay.

What's the Fat Smash? Is it a lot of vegetables and a little bit of lean meat, like South Beach?

L
Liannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #64  

A quick good morning to everyone,

L-Congradulation on losing weight while moving. That is Hugh changes that you were busy, stressed and preoccupied and LOST weight. You are thinking like a thin person!

g-I spent many months making small changes in my eating habits.-using less fats in cooking and in my salad dressing, drinking more water, eating less processed carbs.-I slowly lost 20 lb is over 2 years, It still took me over 6 months to lose the next 30lb. I am a very slow loser. But I was close to being 400 lbs and now I have hopes of being a measly 299 lb by Christmas. Every change that you make is improving your health and lays the foundation for your body to lose weight. We both (even skinny DH) after some occassional needed times of overindulgence, now enjoy the simpler meals with more veggies and less fat. One of the trouble with all the diet books is that they give the illusion that changes are quick and easy. It is all for quick and easy sales of books but leaves the reader feeling guilty and unsuccessful .

I LOVE my coffee and also working on reducing diet cokes-I have read that coke-based on some limited studies-coke- diet or regular may reduce bone density. Plus I read the same stuff on even phony sugar can affect insulin.
Still do use some splenda . I try to drink all that water also and use carbonated water was treat-this is sort of working.

My good new is that I went back to 1500 cal . recorded it and lost the 1 lb regain from the weekend. Today I will swim.

I don't have the other Beck book, but got CDs from the library of herbook called The Joy Diet, I'll give that a listen.

to thinner fat cells

sue
Old 08-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #65  

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalsue View Post
You are thinking like a thin person!
This is so, true. Sue, you have a very positive way of looking at things, and congrats, Liannie!

Sue, congrats on the weight loss. That's great.

I'm having a good day so far.

girly~
Old 08-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Thanks, all!

Ladies, thanks all for the warm welcome.

Special thanks to Coastal Sue for reminding me how great it is to swim. I live on a clear, clean lake and have dipped only a few times this year. I get so caught up in gardening, I forget how good it feels.

Took advantage Sunday evening........of the lake and the solitude.....yanno what I mean? Clear lake, warm evening, no one around.......ahhhh, such a delight!

What I like about Beck is that it is a step by step, do this.....laid out method. I like that. I gave my book to a friend, though. LOL. We are going to start a group after summer winds down.......which is WAY too soon for me. Coastal Sue knows how short they really are in Minnesota!

I never did buy the Fat Smash book....I just read the review on FC and followed from that.......I can tell you than when I do it to the letter..and even if I cheat a little, I feel great. When I run what I have eaten through My Fit Day, I am getting less than 1500 calories and over 35 gms. of fiber--simply the healthiest I have ever eaten. It just takes quite a bit of doing to get a good lunch. I end up having to eat lunch out with clients or peers once or twice per week.......those luncheons are not Fat Smash friendly.

I look forward to lots of good exchanges.

Mary
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 PM   #67  
Banishing the Belly

Hey All,

Just a quick holler on my way to bed tonight. It's been a busy couple of days and I havent been so true to plan in terms of recording each bite but I havent eaten with wild abandon. In fact, I havent had meat in about 2 days, just lots of veggies, fruits, cheese and bread (and about a half bottle of some awesome Portuguese red wine tonight).

Best wishes to all who are in success mode and profound sympathy to those who are not. Big meeting at work tomorrow with catered lunch and dinner. Hopefully I will stick to healthy habits.

more tomorrow,
L
Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #68  

Hello,

Maryblu I envy that tranquil swim-sounded lovely. Look forward to hearing about the group which deals with some of the Beck stuff.

I really need a job-but there are so few in this little place so I now turned is my weight loss tasks into a job while still looking. Working on swimming over 4 hrs a week-which with the drive amd changing really means a total of 10 hrs devoted to the activity.

Just started getting a large bag of fresh organic veggies delivered once a week-I have never used to many unusually veggies-it seems each day I am cutting and dicing something for an hour. Any one know anything about Kohlrabi?

L- did a low cal taco using your suggestions. even followed an idea of quickly steaming the tortillas then a spray of oil before then draped each one over two bars of the oven rack-baked taco shells. It was great to increase the range of tastes and still lose. Hope your week of work is not too crazy.

G-hope all is well. For some reason this exercising and dieting is actually easy for me this week-very unusually but it does happen and will for you too. I have lost a lb but really feel that drop in inches that exercising does. Kind one of those rare moments where my body and head are working as a team and both body and spirit are doing well.-Next if we could get a healthy bank account-hm, alot to ask for.

sue
Old 08-31-2007, 12:58 AM   #69  

Just a hello to say I'm here.

Liannie--Congrats on 169...ohhhh!~ I wish! I think we started at about the same weight

Sue--I'm glad to hear that some days are easy. I really hope I'll be able to say that someday. And wow, you sound like you are eating really healthfully.

Shout out to MB--

You cannot believe how incredibly hot and humid it has been here in Southern California. My place is inhumanly hot. I hope it ends soon.

Have a great Frday

~girly
Old 08-31-2007, 03:49 PM   #70  
Banishing the Belly

Hey Ladies,

Girly....I've been scale-shy for about a week. I don't think I would be exactly 169 right now. I've been a bit lax. But I will get back there soon. Keep up the exercise. It makes all the difference.

Sue, I'm SO GLAD to hear you're in the groove right now. It seems like there's only enough room in that groove for one of us at a time. I've jumped out temporarily. Work stress leading to stress eating (and stress drinking) and my home gym is not yet set up to get me back on my exercise plan--those are my excuses today. Not to worry. I'll be back at it quite soon.

Maryblu, how great to have a friend to work the book with! I bought a copy for my best friend but then she decided she didn't really have an eating problem. She just chooses the wrong foods. Well that's my problem too. Along with eating them at wrong times and eating too much of them!

I just wanted so holler at you all while I'm easing into the holiday weekend. I said I would spend some time unpacking upstairs today but I found a can of mango nectar, a bottle of tequila and a television in between me and the staircase. Oops!

L
Old 08-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default wellll...........ahhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm

We haven't started doing it yet. I just gave her the book a couple of weeks ago.....and we have not started...so now I need to get another copy and we are recruiting two or three other friends and starting all together ....a day at a time and meeting once per week...that doesn't mean I can't practice what I learned from the book.

I need to hold in my mind how good I felt at 138#..how nice it was to have clothes hang the way they are supposed to, and not "stick". I carry so much fat in my face, if I gain an ounce it goes there......I want my face BACK.(not to mention my waist)

I am gaining weight instead of losing, I want you to know. I haven't changed my ticker, but I am back to 155#. I just can't seem to stay on track for more than one or two days at a time.....that said, fall is my favorite time so am hoping some active days will help...

I truly believe in Cognative Behavioral Therapy...I just need to apply it ALL the time. I thought Beck hit the nail on the head with everything she said.......everything rang true with me......well, except for trying to be "one of us" with only 20#s to lose, if that! LOL. I loved what she said about us all thinking thin people get to eat whatever they want. I have watched how thin people eat, and some do watch it closely; others do seem to be able to get away with beer and pizza. Oh, well, certainly I am not "one of them".

Luck and joy to all.......chat soon

Mary
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #72  
Banishing the Belly

September 1 Means A New Thread. Please Join Us There!