Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #16  

Another point Alana, which got me thinking...
I am 30 - 2 kids ages 9 and 6!
you are 24 - 2 kids 4 and baby! (you are me 6 years ago)

I hope you can motivate yourself now! you will gain 6 years on me!
I wish i could go back, and not have wasted the last 6 years! it has taken me until now to really get on with doing something! in the last six years i went from overweight (sitting around 220 pounds) to OBESE!(280) the pain i could have saved myself. I have been an angry, unhappy mother to my children, i have been depressed, obsessed (with my weight), and have probably hurt a lot of people because i have been plain miserable. Today I feel great! i wish i had found that self importance and strength (mentally) years ago, the kids love it when i take them out swimming, or to the beach and I actually join in to their games of chase's.

Even 10 minutes is something girl!!!!!!! I wouldn't do it every day (you will get bored very very easily) do it for 4-5 days a week. and increase slowly! Making it easier is more cardio and will burn calories, turning it harder will more strengthen your legs and you will gain a little muscle to start with, so start easier. And start looking after yourself, if you only look after your family you will burn yourself out! if the mother is happy so is the family (according to Dr Phil!!)
Start small, and do it for yourself! be a bit selfish!
WW is brilliant! stick with it, it is a very common sense way of eating!
And don't beat yourself up, you are wanting to help yourself to better health! Go for it!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

You are so right when you say I need to do it for me. I too feel bad when I am in a bad mood about my weight. I feel like I am not as happy a mother as I should be. Thats not always just when I get down over being overweight. Im still trucking along and am doing pretty good. I guess thats whats most important. Thanks so much for all your help. You wouldnt believe how much it means.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #18  

Thumbs up

I would say do it for yourself as well as for your kids. If Mom is eating healthy and making great life choices, so will the bambinas and bambinos. My daughter is what got me moving. When she is ready to start eating solids, I want her starting out healthy. I dont want to see my daughter grow up like I did. I watched my mom yo-yo diet all my youth and in turn ended up being on all her fad diets right along with her. I can remember in middle school being on the cabbage soup diet with her because she wasnt able to cook "real" meals without being tempted. (Wish you were my mom icedragon! Kudos to you my dear for not making your family be pulled into your weight loss demons.)

Because of my moms weight issues, I quickly developed severe body image issues and ended up being anorexic through high school. Not something I am proud of.

This is the reason I am starting this journey while my daughter is only 3 months old. By the time shes on solids I will be at a healthier point in my life. Throughout her childhood I will be able to teach her how to make healthy food choices and how to be involved in school sports for exercise. Isnt this the most important thing we can teach our children? Especially little girls. They have a terrible time growing up battling all these unrealistic body images that are in the public these days.

I just wanted to stick that in there....Not only are you making it better for your children because you are healthier both physically and mentally, but you are making it better because you are setting them up for a healthy life of good food and exercise choices. Keep up the great work! You guys are doing super!!!

And Alana Jo.....10 minutes is a start....it will lead you to wonderful places! Next week do 20 minutes, and then 30 the next and you will feel like you havent even changed your workout.....you will soon love how you feel after exercising and not even mind it. Chin up chica!

Hope you guys dont mind the extra input or even another buddy, you are both so positive and I dont know about you, but positive people are the ones I need to be surrounded with right now!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:42 PM   #19  

I love having more people to talk to. The more the merrier!!! I agree I want to be around positive people. Its easier for me if I am talking to someone who is encouraging me instead of telling me that I cant do it.

As for my kids you are so right about getting them to eat healthy. My oldest son is such a picky eater that I pretty much let him eat anything that he wants. But I am lucky that he likes healthy foods for the most part. My youngest son is 4 months old.. well almost 5 months. I have started him on solids. I gave him cereal for about a month and then on to veggies. I try to give him more veggies than fruits. I know from experience if you give them more fruits eventually they wont eat the veggies.

I managed to make it 12 minutes on the exercise bike today. WOO HOO!!! But it was on a medium resistance rather than a light one.

How are you girls doing?
Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM   #20  

Talking

Hola Ladies! Congrats on the 12 minutes on the bike!!!! WHOOT WHOOT! A little at a time = a lot over time!

Alana Jo, how did you know it was time for cereal? Or did you just do it at 4 months like the Dr. says? My daughter is a supported sitter and is currently doing 7 ounces every 3 hours during the day and then sleeping from 8pm when I put her down for bed and wakes at 5am for another bottle. I questioned the Dr. about possibly starting her on cereal because I feel like some cereal in the AM will help her to feel more full during the day. My Dr. said absolutly not but I am seeing that other people are giving their babies cereal at like 2 months to help them sleep through the night. What are your thoughts, there is nothing like the opinion of a Mom who has been there done that!!

You are so correct about starting with veggies....once they taste the sweetness of the fruit, its unlikely that they will choose the veggies unless they have grown a taste for them. Sounds like you know your stuff!

So do you gals do food diaries? How do you support each other other then kind words of encouragement? Do you have reward systems for yourself once you meet a goal? Alana Jo is doing WW, what is icedragon (do you have a real name or do you prefer using an alias?) doing? I'm doing calorie counting, I found a GREAT website to help me count and keep track of all my calories and activities for the day.....it makes graphs comparing input vs. output its a very helpful tool for me! www.fitday.com if you are interested, its completely free.

Hope you did well today! I look forward to hearing back!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:18 PM   #21  

Well the way I knew Dalton needed more than just breast milk was when he would nurse and nurse and nurse about constantly. He just didnt seem satisfied at all. I talked to my lactation consultant and she seemed to think I had been doing everything fine. She suggested either giving him some formula after he had finished nursing or giving him a little cereal. My mom also said she thought I should start him on cereal. Just a little at a time. He was right at 3 months old. I bought one of those feeder bottles and mixed just a little cereal in with some formula and water at first. Then after he nursed I would give it to him. It took him a couple times to get use to the feeder but not long at all. He was a pro at it before long. Once he got use to sucking out of the feeder I gave him a little more to thicken it up. Eventually he got up to about half cereal and half formula. After a couple weeks of him being on cereal I decided to try him on some baby foods. You need to give the step 1 jars first. Give the same kind about 4 times before giving a different kind so you will know if they are allergic to it or something. At about 4 1/2 months old he has anywhere from 1 to 2 jars a day. They suggest some cereal or fruit of the morning. Then veggies at lunch. Then cereal or fruit of the evening. But I would give cereal, veggie, and then fruit. It totally depends on how hungry he acts. I hope that helps.

I started a food journal on the first day I started my diet but I have only wrote in it a couple times. I keep track of mine on the WW book that I have here at the house. My journal name is alanajo if you wanna check out what I do have there. I also have a livejournal but I dont have that set to the public. If you are interested in that I could PM you my name. I havent really found a 'set' buddy that I talk to everyday other than on here in this thread. I do have msn messenger and would be willing to chat on there or through email if you wanted.

Also I talked to Dh earlier and he said he was gonna go work out. I told him I may come in there with him. He was like "Really?". I went in there and he showed me how to do the exercises that he does. We worked out together. It was nice. I did 4 sets of 10 tricep extensions, then 4 sets of 15 leg extensions, and then 2 sets of 15 standing calve raises. Then tonight Ill do my regular 50 crunches and 50 leg lifts. I dont plan on doing that much everyday. But I will do something small everyday.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 197

Height: 5'3"

Alana...were you a member of the August 2001 baby playgroup way back when? I saw the name baileysmomma and had that feeling.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #23  
Julie - Stampin Up Demo

Default New to Board

I am new to this board - reading some of these posts - gets me so motivated.
My name is Julie and I started Weight Watchers in mid July. To date I have lost 31 and per WW scale I need to lose 31 more.
My Christmas. New years goal is to lose another 9 pounds (to make an even 40 lost)
I have 3 children and a wonderful husband that is supporting me losing the weight. It is so nice at work that people are actually noticing my weight loss and make comments to me - that makes me feel great.
With winter in full swing in Ohio - I dont walk nightly outside like I was - so the weight is much slower. I need to find something I can do in the winter
Old 12-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #24  

Brandi- Yep I was and I still am

Osborn- WTG on loosing 31lbs that is AWESOME!!! Do you have an exercise bike or some kind of video that you could do instead of walking? Im doing a little of everything. I guess eventually I will get into a set routine. I havent seen a scale that tells you how much you should weigh from WW. Id like to see where I should be at. Do you have a link for it?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #25  

Congrats Alana Jo on working out with the hubby! Its really great that he was able to show you things that you can do with the equipment that you have available to you. Doesnt it make you feel great to know that he is on board with you?! Its someone to work out with, someone that you dont have to worry about looking stupid in front of and someone that truely cares about your well being. Sometimes its really hard admit that you have a problem to your spouse (in our case our problem is our weight), its embarrassing and something to be ashamed of (for me anyways). I have begun to realize that I should ask for help and not worry about what hes thinking. I worry what he thinks when I am having a "fitness seizure" while doing my dance videos (its probably something nobody should ever have to witness, thus why I exercise at home ). The other night I played one of the videos for him and hes just as horrible at coordination as I am and his parts were jiggling too. I snickered under my breath of course. Anyhow, kudos to you girl! Keep up the GREAT work!

I keep a food journal, thats the only way I am able to stay on track!! I have one buddy that I go back and forth with everyday and boy, its really really helpful. When I slip up shes there to say "tisk tisk" and visa versa. I would recommend that to anyone, its a really good tool. This thread is good too, its the same thing just obviously not private so I dont know how much is censored. Me, I dont care what people think about me. We are all in the same boat right? We are all unhappy about our weight, lets be real with each other! Lets conquer this demon together.

Thanks for the advice about the cereal. Really helpful!!

Julie, Julie, Julie WAY TO GO on the first 31 pounds! I'm impressed! Its so great that you have found this site helpful, you have stepped into the right direction to kick those last 9 pounds. We will cheer you on one pound at a time!!! Keep up the work! As far as winter workouts, have you checked out any work out videos or DVDs? I am sure you will find something fun and "doable".

Check you chicas later!!! Good work girls!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #26  

I was a little embarrassed working out with him because obviously I had no clue what I was doing and he had to help me with everything and show me how to do everything. But I think it boosted his ego that he knew so much and could teach it to me. Who knows we may end up working out together everday!

I have some Tae Bo videos but the are all VHS tapes and I dont have a VCR in the livingroom. I have a DVD player in here so I will have to buy them on DVD or move the VCR in here or something. I use to really enjoy using them. Cardio to me is majorly important to me. However I have yet to do much of it.

I still dont really report to anyone everyday except myself.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #27  

Hi Alana. I just joined today, and can definetly relate. .I have 3 girls, 7, 1 and 4 months. My husband is a personal trainer, and is in great shape, but I cannot seem to ask for his help. I gained so much in my pregnancies, and just never took it off in between children.

My husband offers his help, and I think he is hurt that I will not take it, but I also think he does not understand that I want to separate this from my life with him. I also would be too embarassed to admit my weight or how much I need to to lose. Other people pay him to help, but I don't even want to talk to him about it.

I ordered the Tae Bo Boot Camp from the Billy Blanks website, as a christmas gift to myself. I have not received it yet, but am planning on waking up early in the morning when everyone is alseep to do it.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #28  

Welcome momof3!!! Your hubby is a personal trainer and you dont want to take his help?!?! Question for you.....do you think he doesnt already know how much you weigh and how much you need to lose? I mean, this is his profession, hes likely to be an expert? I'm not trying to be rude, but I am guessing that hes been around people that are like you and probably are worse. I think you have a WONDERFUL resource right at your finger tips! I am sure he loves you no matter what, after all you do have 3 children together? I bet he could turn into the best support system you could ask for. Think about it, baby steps....you might change your mind.

As for the Tae Bo tapes....Great start! They are sooo much fun! You can do this, I know you can....chin up and reach out to your support systems! We are here for you with each pound you lose!

I know I'm not Alana, but I wanted to welcome you too Leave it to me to stick my two cents in where they werent welcome...DOH!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #29  

Thanks Morgan. I am sure he knows more then I tell him, but I think I need to try this by myself for a while before I enlist his help. I think for a few reasons:

1. I am doing this for myself, not him.
2. I would rather have the push to do this come from me, not him.
3. I really need to gain some confidence on my own before I go to him.

My husband and I love eachother more then anything in the world, and hopefully I will be able to use him soon, but as of now, I just cannot bring myself to do this with anyone.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:44 PM   #30  

Thumbs up

You are a very strong woman and I applaud your strength! You are going to succeed by leaps and bounds!!! This is def the beginning to the rest of your life! There need to be more people like you! Truely amazing response!
Closed Thread