Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:42 PM   #1  
solitas...lacuna

Default Newbie with a Mission

I'm new to this forum. I found it through a google search for low-fat recipies. I want to lose 210 pounds and my goal is to do it in 2 years. I am working out in a gym and attempting to start a low-fat diet, although I've had glitches in both. I want to lose weight for my health and general sense of well-being. I'm tired of feeling bad, and being tired all the time.

I am posting on this board so that I can get support from other, understanding individuals who have faced the same struggle I am facing.

I have 3 great challenges which contribute to my weight problem and make losing almost impossible.

My intense addiction to Mountain Dew

My compulsive desire to snack constantly, whether hungry or not.

My passionate love for rich, fattening foods.

I like to cook, and experiment with new foods. I don't like any type of bean, though. Lima, butter, green, red, black, jelly....I hate them all. That limits my low-fat menu significantly, as you might imagine. I am trying to find ways to manage what I eat, and yet eat satisfyingly. I am unsure of how much I should consume, what types of food to eat, and if time of day really matters when it concerns what I eat.

I need a lot of advice.

Helpful tips, suggestions, or recipies are welcome.

I look forward to talking to all of you.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:50 PM   #2  

Hi and welcome.

There's LOTS of great forums on this site which can help with all sorts of things from recipes to meal planning ideas, etc. There's also little "clubs" (that are open to ALL) for people with a lot of weight to lose ... for example the 100lb club is for people with nearly 100lbs or more to lose. I hang out there ... only occassionally touching on other areas.

Just scan up and down the list of forums and pop-in where ever you might have an interest ... the posters here are friendly, supportive and welcoming.

I wish you the best as you find your way to a new, healthier way of living.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:23 PM   #3  

lumpy shadow you sound like my twin. i too have a large amount of weight to lose. i had a severe addiction to mt dew. i say had because in nov. of 2003 i quit cold turkey. have not had one since. and yes i went through withdrawl, but i am surviving. this is a great place for information, support, inspiration and all kinds of advice. post often and check out all the threads. hope to hear from you soon.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:50 PM   #4  
Student of the Hoof

Hey there Shadow.. I read the poem you posted in your journal, and I it got to me. Maybe a little too close to home, eh? It was very poignent.

I think most of us have a lot in common, though I will confess to loving, not hating, beans of the jelly variety.

As far as help .. there are so many approaches to changing one's life that it can be overwhelming. It took me quite a while to find my new lifestyle. One that I knew I could do, literally, for the rest of my life. I made a lot of mistakes, usually pushing too hard too fast with exercise, and restricting myself to certain foods, which ultimately led me to only want them more. Some people thrive on certain plans - you can find forums for them all, which might help you figure out if one of them might work for you. I personally found that www.fitday.com was a HUGE help to me. I learned more about caloric content than I really wanted to know. I think there are a few "rules of thumb" that seem to present themselves over and over and over when people talk about their plans. One is to up your water intake. Another would be to cut out empty calories (like soda). Add movement to your daily routine. Walking, swimming, join a gym and use the elliptical, whatever you wish. That's your cardio. Adding strength/resistance training in will help with muscles, which ups your daily basal metabolic rate. The biggest thing is to find a plan you can live with. And that takes experimenting, and it may change over time. Set reasonable goals, and add them in as you feel comfortable doing so. Goals do not all have to be weight based. Drinking a certain amount of water each day can be a very important goal in the beginning. Bedtimes, journaling, activities ... all can be goals.

The threads in the Support Groups are wonderful. You might start lurking around till you find one that you feel comfy with, and just hop right in. You'll find that people are more than willing to answer questions, offer advice, hold your hand, give you a hug, or even a kick in the rump if you need it.

Welcome to 3FC, I hope to hear more from you!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:57 AM   #5  

Hi there!

I'm new to the forum too, or at least new again..it's been a couple of years.

My mother and I are embarking on a weight loss program, and she's got about the same amount to loose as you. I have about 52 pounds (was 57!) to loose (again).

The main thing I wanted to tell you is that dropping the Mountain Dew could do wonders for you. My sister used to have a 32 oz for breakfast every morning, and several more throughout the day. Her dentist finally convinced her that if she didn't ditch it, she would be wearing dentures by the time she was 30. She did, and JUST by doing that, has dropped about 40 pounds over the last year or so. She honestly didn't make any other changes, and we're all amazed and thrilled! It also inspired me to keep the soda out of my house for the sake of my kids teeth. It really is evil stuff!

The point is, it's amazing how much small changes can add up. I figured it out just two days ago that if I had used full fat mayo and regular butter instead of butter spray, I would have eaten an additional 600 calories that day. I am committed to making that a permanent change in my life, even if I fall off the wagon again. The other thing I want to make a permanent part of my life is exercise. I'm on my 15th day in a row, and SO want to keep that going, no matter what happens with the food. My biggest problem is eating when I'm bored, and I am working on ways to improve other areas of my life to solve that problem. Even if you start with 5 minutes of walking a day, or ANYTHING for that matter, it's the getting into the habit part that counts. You'll be amazed at the momentum you build. I believe with all my heart that exercise is the key, along with permanent lifestyle changes. Diets bite. They're why my mother is as big as she is now.

As to new recipes, I am currently in love with the latest issue of Cooking Light Magazine. Generally I only pick one or two that I like out of there, but there seems to be a ton of good ones this month!

I could go on forever, but I'll stop now and hope to see you around the forums. Please feel free to email me if you want, and there's a wealth of information to be had right here on these boards! Success to us all

Deana
Closed Thread