Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #31  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

You are already amazing by quitting smoking! With your determination you should have no problem taking the next step in losing weight. There are many ways to go about losing weight, and many parts of this forum are dedicated to various meal plans that can help you get you started.

Losing weight is not impossible. It is doable, but it takes time, effort, determination, and motivation. So just ignore all the mean comments from "normal" people who have never known what it is like to be fat and are trying to lose weight.

My favorite aunt used to weigh about 400 pounds in her early 70s. She is also diabetic and has had back problems from her weight. When her husband became bed ridden from Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, she decided it was time to lose the weight. In fact, she had to in order to provide home care for her husband. With calorie counting and using the diabetic exchange that comes on most packaged foods, she managed to drop her weight to about 120-130 pounds.

She never went to a gym and exercised mainly in her home. She would do "old lady" push-ups on the counter because it was hard for her to get to the floor. She would play music and dance to it. She got a treadmill so she could walk inside.

She lost the weight all by herself. When I saw her after she had lost all the weight it was amazing! She was like a new lady. After her husband passed away, my aunt went back to work, working in an Alzheimer's ward. And now she goes out dancing.

My aunt is my inspiration. And I know that if I keep working at losing weight, that I can be thin, too.
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #32  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5 ft tall

try keeping a food journal that has helped me in the beginning actually seeing what and how much you take in ... and like you decided cut out the bad like soda...

you can do it like i said before

read labels and look up portions size... that was a huge eye opener

Last edited by MidwestMom; 05-08-2012 at 09:56 AM.
MidwestMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Aww, how fun to have your grandchildren with you. I'm sure it's often challenging, but I'll bet they will be great cheerleaders for you when you explain to them you want to eat to be healthy. My son really helped me get started with his enthusiasm and support. ALTHOUGH, it was clear he expected quick results and didn't know this was a loooonnnnngggggg process. The first time I proudly told him I lost 10 pounds, he looked at me in confusion as if he was thinking, "Where.....it looks like you still got it." I told him I needed encouragement sometimes, and he was more than willing. Just his smile when I told him I lost another pound let me know he was proud of me. So use those kiddo's as your cheerleaders! We all need every bit of encouragement we can get!! The added bonus is teaching them good eating habits.
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #34  
ShrinkingPrettyGirl

S/C/G: 290/248/130-ish

Height: 5'5"

Congrats and how exciting!! Welcome to the forums! Like many others have said, you have a year and A LOT can happen in that year. It's a hard journey, but one well worth the work!

IDK how much help I will be with advice, but I do know that I am encouraging, if nothing else. LOL Personally, I count calories and I do a little bit of exercise and about to increase that. Feel free to add me to your buddy list and chat any time I am online!

Good Luck!
ShrinkingPrettyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 184/184/125

Height: 5'1"

Hey Cuddlebug, I am new on here too but one thing I found was the blogs on here. On the home page (where you click Forums) there is a page for member blogs. You can start one and pour your heart out into it. If you aren't really into blogging then keep in mind the point of this site is to meet people in the same or similar situations as you and get encouragment and support.
Anyways, I am sorry that you are having such a horrible experience in relation to something that was supposed to be a good thing. One step at a time...you quit smoking. That's a HUGE step. Be proud that you have jumped that hurdle. Then you got on here and admitted that you need to lose weight and were open and honest. I think that's a great second step. Keep up the good work
km78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #36  

Laifierr,MidwestMom,sunshauna,ShrinkingPrettyGirl, km78,

Omgosh I am so overwhelmed, Thank you all.. omgosh truly...thank you every single one of you...everyone who has responded to me...After coming here, how could I ever think the world was full of cruel people...when there is so much love and suport here. I am totally blown away.

Laifierr,

Blushes, thank you on your praise for quitting smoking ...I have been looking at meal plans and methods today...OMGOSH so confusing...hehe..I am sure I will find the right one...it will just take time to get use to a new way of life and find the one that works best for me. ...Yes after coming here I am going to ignore the negative people ..and concentrate on the wonderful people here...I think for me that is going to be the important thing.. ...WOW your grandma..what an inspiration ..I think she must be a very special and amazing woman in your life...I feel even more inspired now...WOW ...and you now losing weight I bet she is sooo proud of you..keep it up .. WOOOT ..HUGS HUGE ...Thank you for your wonderful advice.

MidwestMom,

This is not going to be a walk in the park ..and I can see that by keeping a journal (something I have never learned to do) it will help me. I just hope I can learn to do all these things that are new to me...like reading labels, journaling and counting calories ..I am going to give it my best shot MidwestMom HUGS

sunshauna,

Yes having my adorable grandchildren with me can be so much fun...they bring light into my days...and yes...it can be challenging too lol..the girls are 15 years, 13 years, 3 years, and 1 year old..and a baby on the way....to be honest I sometimes find it very hard to cope lol...but they are worth every second. I wouldnt swap them for anything...Your son sounds like he is a wonderful person I hope he continues to support you on your journey and maintanance at the end of your journey. He sounds like a sweetheart.... Yes my girls do need a role model and I havent been that for them..the older ones are already struggling with their weight...I dont know how many times I have cried in bed at night, seeing them hurting over cruel words someone has said...the oldest two have offered to walk with me..on weekends..and we can take the youngest ones in strollers...the second youngest already helps me down to the mail box and back ...that sounds silly doesnt it..rofl...the reason I need a little help is...I am on medications at the moment that make me feel "drunk" and "wobbly" for the pain..and the only time I can walk is when it is at it strongest...so as soon as the pain eases enough I try and use that window of time to do what needs doing...but I need on walks someone beside me incase I fall...lol... So I am sure in time they will learn from seeing what I do .. HUGE HUGS

ShrinkingPrettyGirl,

OMGOSH thank you ShrinkingPrettyGirl, your friendship on this journey will be most welcome...encouragement and compassion are two things that are huge when it comes to doing something difficult and for me something so scary and in turn I hope I can be encouraging for you when you need it....well even when you dont need it..I am thinking from comments here..that counting calories until I have learned about other methods...to make and informed descision, is the way to go .HUGE HUGS

km78

LOL I am sure I sound a bit of a scardy cat..and in a way I am...so thank you for saying your kind words...I needed somehow to reach out...to find people who were kind and compassionate...who would not look down on me or make fun of me... I cant believe the kind beautiful people here and how they have not only responded in such a wonderful positive manner but have reached out to me...I feel like a drowning woman who suddenly has so many hands reaching down to help pull me out of the water...when in the past there were only dark faces and hands tring to push me down under and laughing while they did it..I hope that doesnt sound silly..but it is as close as I can come to how it felt :'( and how it feels now ... I have never blogged..I dont know how to even start..but like anything new..I will be reading and trying to work out how to do it myself....I think if others do it here, it must help them and maybe others who read their blogs. ( I am a little computer illiterate).. km78 thank you for your kind kind words and help HUGS HUGE
Cuddlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #37  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

A warm welcome to you Cuddlebug!

Losing weight and tackling health problems can feel very overwhelming at times. I broke everything down into smaller goals to help with this. You've already made such wonderful progress in quitting smoking so give yourself lots of credit!

Don't let the thought of cruel and hateful people bring you down. There's lots of support here for you! Post often and let us encourage you and cheer you on.

Hugs to you!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Cuddlebug, welcome to the Forum! I'm so glad you reached out.

I stumbled upon this video this morning and hope I can repost it here -- it certainly inspired me and I intend to watch it every morning. Look at how he changes from the beginning of the video to the end and I think you will find it inspiring too!
http://www.godvine.com/Man-Barely-Ab...zing-1476.html
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Hey Cuddlebug - welcome to the forum!

A huge well done on quitting smoking - that's a great achievement and together with a little exercise will make a massive difference to your overall health levels. As someone else already said, break your journey up into little bits and set yourself small targets at a time to make them seem less daunting. before you know it, you'll have achieved loads and be looking back and thinking "wow when did all that happen?" Ignore those sad, cruel people who have so little in their lives that they get pleasure from nasty remarks. They're not worthy of your attention.

I set myself little targets at a time - like cutting out fried food, then soda, then just losing that 3lb to the next stone marker or whatever. I built up my exercise from barely managing 1 mile to easily doing 5+ at a time as well as sit-ups, weights etc. It all adds up.

You can achieve a lot in 1 year and even if you don't get to your target, just think how far you'll have come and how proud you can be of your achievements. Just as your fab friend obviously is! Go for it
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #40  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

Welcome, Cuddlebug! Congratulations on quitting smoking and taking on the next step to a healthy lifestyle.

I agree with all those who posted before me that you will have the most success with baby steps. Pick one or two things a week you can do to get the ball rolling and keep adding to the list each week. This will be a marathon (as it is for most of us) but so worth it. The combination of a little less weight and a little more stamina will make for a glorious vacation with your very generous girlfriend. A wonderful side effect will be the great example you set for those granddaughters who will see a strong, determined woman and will likely follow your lead.

It's gonna be a bumpy road so be sure to come here ALWAYS for support. There's no shame in bad days or falling off the wagon, don't let them keep you away. I saw a post recently and wish I could credit properly but I'll paraphrase: "When you stumble on a flight of stairs you don't throw yourself to the bottom and start again, you dust yourself off and keep climbing." Think of that on the days you struggle and know there are lots of us here to cheer you on when you're *sure* you can't possibly do this for another day...

Last edited by mahtha; 05-09-2012 at 03:15 PM.
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #41  

Tai, ladynredd, Elliemar, Mahtha,

Thank you all so much for your replies. Already at the start of my journey, so many friendly people reaching out to me..I am beyond stunned.

Tai,

I am going to do my darndest...I am not sure how to break down to small goals as yet....I am truly not really sure how I will do this....Grocery day yesterday though...and it comprises fresh fruit and vegetable .. normal meat as yet...but no soda and no chips or sweets.... it feels strange and a little scary. Yes as for cruel people...I am staying clear of that sort of person and staying here where there seems to be so much love and support...what an amazing forum HUGS

laddynredd,

Thank you for taking my hand when I reached out that means so much to me..more than you can know... .....the link to the video you posted for me.......OMGOSH ..I cried..what an amazing man...I will be watching it every day also HUGE HUGE HUGS

Elliemar,

Your kind words and advice are so appreciated I look forward to the time that I can walk even a mile. Today so far, I have managed to walk to the mail box...around the back yard and back..the furthest I have managed with my back...and my back physio exercises....tears running down my cheaks most of it...but I know the back needs it for it to improve.. then I came here and reread all the amazing and wonderful suport posts..which gave me strength again...and found more supportive posts...thank you so so so much HUGS HUGE

Mahtha,

Thank you for your kind words and support...Yes I feel so exhausted, just living....the extra energy would be so wonderful..and yes a big thing for me is to see my granddaughters having a positive rolemodel to follow. I dont want them ending up one day..like me....as I am now.. The idea of "baby" steps on this journey I think is how I am going to have to attack it...the whole thing seems so overwhelming at the moment..I need to look at it in a different light... Yes I can see that coming here for support whether I stumble and fall along the way or not ( I will probably fall a lot )..I think is what I need to do.. I need the positive energy that everyone, regardless of their weight, exhudes in here. Your stair analogy strikes a chord...I will remember that as I go on this adventure... thank you HUGS HUGE
Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #42  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

Hi Cuddlebug, How are you doing today? Check and and let us know how your day is and know that we're here to you on!
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 168/see ticker/147

Like Mahtha I am wondering how you are doing Cuddlebug, update please
Milly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #44  

mahtha, Milly1,

I got a chair and placed it near the fridge so that I could sit... (cant bend or even sit for long as yet..and knee bends....to do stuff at my weight...is beyond my knees... . )... and I cleaned out all the not so good things and then got the girls to help me with the cupboards...so I wouldnt be tempted....maybe in time I will be strong enough to be able to eat some in moderation..but I am not at the moment....anything that was any good tin packet wise....I sent down to the local salvos hoping that it will help feed less fortunate.... giggles I need to find somewhere in here to keep updating ...but I am not good enough to journal...wouldnt even know where to start...but feel that a small few lines to reach out...and my friends here reach back to reassure me...is what I need to do.... A for the support and B to keep me on the straight and narrow.... through good and bad.. .......... oh and didnt know how to deal with it....(constipation)...so got a small pack of prunes...and replaced my morning Wheat Bix that I use to eat...some prunes... ick how embarrassing...
Old 05-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 168/see ticker/147

Good for you! Guess it depends on your personality and that of your family what you can have in the house. I have to live with biscuits and sweets as other family members consider these essentials. What I do is buy for them the ones I am not so keen on. If you replace some of your previous foods with extra fruit and veg that should help with your more immediate problem. I make big pots of soup which last for days. Mind you I live in Scotland and its never really warm. Keep going, a little bit here and there and if something doesn't work just learn from it and move on.
Milly1 is offline   Reply With Quote