Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225 / 177.2 / 140

Height: 5'4"

Default Trial and Error

I've been on this weight loss journey for as long as I can remember. My "adult" low weight was achieved as a senior in high school at 150 pounds. But, I was only that weight because I didn't eat enough. Slowly, and then more rapidly, I continued to gain weight through college and beyond topping at ~225. I never did get on a scale back then because I really didn't want to know what I weighed.

But today, I'm ~196 and looking for some fresh support. When I first took control of my health, I followed the South Beach Diet and lost 35 pounds. Unfortunately, I couldn't maintain that weight as I added more carbs to my diet. I think mostly that I got comfortable and then bored with the same foods. Then I tried WW, but without actually joining. Oh it worked, but I felt like I had no energy and gained some weight back. I figured that I was eating 1400-1600 calories then and it just wasn't enough to sustain me. Then things in my life went out of my control and I went into firm denial that I was gaining weight until I was back at 215. I decided early this year that this is no way for me to live. I've been through several transitions since then and I have come to the realization that structured programs are too stifling for me. I've given up on NROL4W (stage 4) and C25K (week 5) - and even with some amazing progress within each program. I feel like I can only focus on one thing at a time - either getting in better shape or losing weight, but not both.

I've managed to lose the last 8-10 pounds by eating the same basic meals every day and allowing a bit of freedom on the weekends. I've spent so much time calorie counting that I know I'm in the range of 1600-2000 calories any given day. I also haven't lifted in almost 2 months, so I have to wonder if I'm losing muscle mass now too. But, I do ride my bike as often as I can to work and on the weekends. This is the most enjoyable exercise for me. And I know it is an intense workout judging by the pounding in my chest and dripping sweat. I do want to get back into lifting, and I've tailored a short workout that I can do at home with only dumbbells - but I haven't tried it yet.

Actually, I don't really know what I'm looking for in terms of support. I just have a feeling that today is a day to reach out to others. I guess I'm looking for encouragement to step up the weight loss a little bit. A pound a month is great, but I can do better. I may also be dreading the proximity of my 29th (and the ever popular 30th) birthdays. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of the spectrum, plodding along at a snail's pace. I'm insanely jealous of those who lose weight easily and hypercritical of those who don't try at all. Unfortunately, my day-to-day life contains more of the I've-given-up types.

It's nice to finally introduce myself.
gretel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #3  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Default Welcome

We are glad you are here and know that you will find great support and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretel View Post
I've been on this weight loss journey for as long as I can remember. My "adult" low weight was achieved as a senior in high school at 150 pounds. But, I was only that weight because I didn't eat enough. Slowly, and then more rapidly, I continued to gain weight through college and beyond topping at ~225. I never did get on a scale back then because I really didn't want to know what I weighed.

But today, I'm ~196 and looking for some fresh support. When I first took control of my health, I followed the South Beach Diet and lost 35 pounds. Unfortunately, I couldn't maintain that weight as I added more carbs to my diet. I think mostly that I got comfortable and then bored with the same foods. Then I tried WW, but without actually joining. Oh it worked, but I felt like I had no energy and gained some weight back. I figured that I was eating 1400-1600 calories then and it just wasn't enough to sustain me. Then things in my life went out of my control and I went into firm denial that I was gaining weight until I was back at 215. I decided early this year that this is no way for me to live. I've been through several transitions since then and I have come to the realization that structured programs are too stifling for me. I've given up on NROL4W (stage 4) and C25K (week 5) - and even with some amazing progress within each program. I feel like I can only focus on one thing at a time - either getting in better shape or losing weight, but not both.

I've managed to lose the last 8-10 pounds by eating the same basic meals every day and allowing a bit of freedom on the weekends. I've spent so much time calorie counting that I know I'm in the range of 1600-2000 calories any given day. I also haven't lifted in almost 2 months, so I have to wonder if I'm losing muscle mass now too. But, I do ride my bike as often as I can to work and on the weekends. This is the most enjoyable exercise for me. And I know it is an intense workout judging by the pounding in my chest and dripping sweat. I do want to get back into lifting, and I've tailored a short workout that I can do at home with only dumbbells - but I haven't tried it yet.

Actually, I don't really know what I'm looking for in terms of support. I just have a feeling that today is a day to reach out to others. I guess I'm looking for encouragement to step up the weight loss a little bit. A pound a month is great, but I can do better. I may also be dreading the proximity of my 29th (and the ever popular 30th) birthdays. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of the spectrum, plodding along at a snail's pace. I'm insanely jealous of those who lose weight easily and hypercritical of those who don't try at all. Unfortunately, my day-to-day life contains more of the I've-given-up types.

It's nice to finally introduce myself.
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #4  
300+ Chick

on your 25 Lbs loss!! Good luck with your continue efforts!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #5  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #6  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

welcome! this is a good place for info and support. good luck on your journey!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225 / 177.2 / 140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone! Now it's time to find specific groups to have all of my questions answered.
gretel is offline   Reply With Quote