3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions-8/)
-   -   Trial and Error (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/introductions/207350-trial-error.html)

gretel 07-16-2010 02:47 PM

Trial and Error

I've been on this weight loss journey for as long as I can remember. My "adult" low weight was achieved as a senior in high school at 150 pounds. But, I was only that weight because I didn't eat enough. Slowly, and then more rapidly, I continued to gain weight through college and beyond topping at ~225. I never did get on a scale back then because I really didn't want to know what I weighed.

But today, I'm ~196 and looking for some fresh support. When I first took control of my health, I followed the South Beach Diet and lost 35 pounds. Unfortunately, I couldn't maintain that weight as I added more carbs to my diet. I think mostly that I got comfortable and then bored with the same foods. Then I tried WW, but without actually joining. Oh it worked, but I felt like I had no energy and gained some weight back. I figured that I was eating 1400-1600 calories then and it just wasn't enough to sustain me. Then things in my life went out of my control and I went into firm denial that I was gaining weight until I was back at 215. I decided early this year that this is no way for me to live. I've been through several transitions since then and I have come to the realization that structured programs are too stifling for me. I've given up on NROL4W (stage 4) and C25K (week 5) - and even with some amazing progress within each program. I feel like I can only focus on one thing at a time - either getting in better shape or losing weight, but not both.

I've managed to lose the last 8-10 pounds by eating the same basic meals every day and allowing a bit of freedom on the weekends. I've spent so much time calorie counting that I know I'm in the range of 1600-2000 calories any given day. I also haven't lifted in almost 2 months, so I have to wonder if I'm losing muscle mass now too. But, I do ride my bike as often as I can to work and on the weekends. This is the most enjoyable exercise for me. And I know it is an intense workout judging by the pounding in my chest and dripping sweat. I do want to get back into lifting, and I've tailored a short workout that I can do at home with only dumbbells - but I haven't tried it yet.

Actually, I don't really know what I'm looking for in terms of support. I just have a feeling that today is a day to reach out to others. I guess I'm looking for encouragement to step up the weight loss a little bit. A pound a month is great, but I can do better. I may also be dreading the proximity of my 29th (and the ever popular 30th) birthdays. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of the spectrum, plodding along at a snail's pace. I'm insanely jealous of those who lose weight easily and hypercritical of those who don't try at all. Unfortunately, my day-to-day life contains more of the I've-given-up types.

It's nice to finally introduce myself.

Onederchic 07-16-2010 03:07 PM

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle

Losing It 2010 07-16-2010 03:38 PM

Welcome

We are glad you are here and know that you will find great support and information

Quote:

Originally Posted by gretel (Post 3390023)
I've been on this weight loss journey for as long as I can remember. My "adult" low weight was achieved as a senior in high school at 150 pounds. But, I was only that weight because I didn't eat enough. Slowly, and then more rapidly, I continued to gain weight through college and beyond topping at ~225. I never did get on a scale back then because I really didn't want to know what I weighed.

But today, I'm ~196 and looking for some fresh support. When I first took control of my health, I followed the South Beach Diet and lost 35 pounds. Unfortunately, I couldn't maintain that weight as I added more carbs to my diet. I think mostly that I got comfortable and then bored with the same foods. Then I tried WW, but without actually joining. Oh it worked, but I felt like I had no energy and gained some weight back. I figured that I was eating 1400-1600 calories then and it just wasn't enough to sustain me. Then things in my life went out of my control and I went into firm denial that I was gaining weight until I was back at 215. I decided early this year that this is no way for me to live. I've been through several transitions since then and I have come to the realization that structured programs are too stifling for me. I've given up on NROL4W (stage 4) and C25K (week 5) - and even with some amazing progress within each program. I feel like I can only focus on one thing at a time - either getting in better shape or losing weight, but not both.

I've managed to lose the last 8-10 pounds by eating the same basic meals every day and allowing a bit of freedom on the weekends. I've spent so much time calorie counting that I know I'm in the range of 1600-2000 calories any given day. I also haven't lifted in almost 2 months, so I have to wonder if I'm losing muscle mass now too. But, I do ride my bike as often as I can to work and on the weekends. This is the most enjoyable exercise for me. And I know it is an intense workout judging by the pounding in my chest and dripping sweat. I do want to get back into lifting, and I've tailored a short workout that I can do at home with only dumbbells - but I haven't tried it yet.

Actually, I don't really know what I'm looking for in terms of support. I just have a feeling that today is a day to reach out to others. I guess I'm looking for encouragement to step up the weight loss a little bit. A pound a month is great, but I can do better. I may also be dreading the proximity of my 29th (and the ever popular 30th) birthdays. I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of the spectrum, plodding along at a snail's pace. I'm insanely jealous of those who lose weight easily and hypercritical of those who don't try at all. Unfortunately, my day-to-day life contains more of the I've-given-up types.

It's nice to finally introduce myself.

Liliann 07-16-2010 04:33 PM

:bravo: on your 25 Lbs loss!! Good luck with your continue efforts!! :)

DhaniCauldwell 07-16-2010 09:30 PM

Welcome and good luck!

:queen: Dhani :queen:

skygirl 07-16-2010 11:22 PM

welcome! this is a good place for info and support. good luck on your journey! :)

gretel 07-19-2010 07:53 AM

Thanks everyone! Now it's time to find specific groups to have all of my questions answered. :)