Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #121  
On plan since June 23/13

S/C/G: 197/153/150

Height: 5'3"

Boo for me! Up a pound over Xmas but back on P1 until it's gone....should be tomorrow! You gotta love IP!!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #122  

S/C/G: IP 140/115/115

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by masenki View Post
Dear Maintainers - do you feel hunger when out of ketosis? Im getting closer to my goal and getting all nervous about P2/P3. Im worry about getting cravings and being hungry.
I start reading Paleo books to understand what is my next move id going to be (after phasing off properly from IP). Anyone here have good experience w Paleo?
Hi,
I've been following paleo since about May, been great!!
Of course I did enjoy a few treats this week, mostly wine and
couple apps. Was up a couple lbs, probably salt, sure it'll be gone
soon, water weight cuz I know I didn't eat 7000 extra calories and I went to
the gym. Lol!!
My cravings are minimal on paleo, works for me.
Good luck! Lots of great websites out there.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas!!
Happy New Year to you all!!
Ps I got my fitbit! Just gotta learn how it use it Lol!

D
Old 12-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #123  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Here is a link to a great article by the author of Refuse to Regain.
DECEMBER 11, 2013
Falling Off The Various Wagons: A Holiday Peril
by Barbara Berkeley, MD
As the author of Refuse to Regain, she explores the Holiday Perils. Here is the link.

In Food Cravings, Sugar Trumps Fat - NYTimes ... - Refuse To Regain
www.refusetoregain.com/2013/
12/in-food-cravings-sugar-
trumps-fat-nyt...‎

I like her beginning:
"Some years ago I wrote about the fact that weight maintainers have to live on a sort-of island. While everyone around them is splashing in a sea of fat, sugar and chocolate (and a great many are drowning in it), those who live by their own eating rules are up on dry land watching the proceedings in a state of relative isolation. It can be downright lonely on the island. "

At times I do feel like there is a sea of consumption during the holidays.

She comments that the most successful maintainers follow their healthy eating rules 365 days of the year. However, this does mean excluding all modern eating. Ie holiday indulgences.

" What it does mean however, is that you must clearly, CLEARLY know which foods you have to completely avoid in order to prevent relapse. You must also know exactly how much and what types of foods will preserve your current weight and you must have a plan for small gains that you are willing to institute right away when the scale climbs up. Does this sound like "defensive eating?" I think the plan for immediate gain is important and like the concept of defensive eating.

During the holidays,she recommends to simply do the same thing over the holidays that you do the rest of the year. This seems difficult at first, but many successful maintainers employ this strategy and have found that it gets easier as time goes by.

Here is what she tells her patients:
"Here's what I say to my patients during the holidays.

Remember that eating in a way that protects and defends your weight and body, keeping yourself strong through exercise, sleeping 7-8 hours a night, and taking time to relax and de-stress are all part of the most important gift you can give yourself this season. For every year that you get through the holidays having given yourself this gift, you add more holidays to your life, more opportunities to live without pills, dementia, and excess risk."

I think her advice on clearly knowing what foods will cause regain is good as well as having a plan to work any up pounds off.

So far so good on my holiday eating. I am in my range and cutting back for a few days before New Years. I had a great time trying North African and Morrocan recipes yesterday.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 157/119.8/125 r/b 136/136/125

Height: 5'2"

I'm new to maintaining...it's a little scary out there (jk!). I've been looking through threads to gather ideas for meals & am still stuck b/c I like many hesitate at adding certain foods back into my diet. I have to plan my back to school meals (I'm a "brown-bagging" k teacher). I'm thinking I may stick with salad, veggies & some type of protein for my lunches. I know that if I don't plan out my meals, I tend to not have a balanced meal. Breakfasts aren't difficult for me (I love the P3 breakfast ideas). Holidays weren't too bad for me, but I did notice this past weekend I had finally gained the 2 -4 pounds my coach said I would gain, but this morning it was gone again.

DRegan - I haven't researched/read a lot about the Paleo diet; I do have a nephew who was following the diet (he's a runner, hiker, 6th grade teacher). Was it difficult to start or does it fall in line with the way I was eating P1-P3?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 213/201/185

Height: 5'11"

I just hit the 6 month mark of maitenance. I am slighly below my goal weight. Keeping the weight off hasn't been as bad as I thought.

I eat well 80% of the time and excercise several times a week. I wasn't excercising at all before doing IP. The eating well/excersising seems to be enough to keep me fit. I still avoid sugar/sweets and carbs. I have them occaissionally, but probably eat 75% less of them than I was before IP.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #126  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkids View Post
I'm new to maintaining...it's a little scary out there (jk!). I've been looking through threads to gather ideas for meals & am still stuck b/c I like many hesitate at adding certain foods back into my diet. I have to plan my back to school meals (I'm a "brown-bagging" k teacher). I'm thinking I may stick with salad, veggies & some type of protein for my lunches. I know that if I don't plan out my meals, I tend to not have a balanced meal. Breakfasts aren't difficult for me (I love the P3 breakfast ideas). Holidays weren't too bad for me, but I did notice this past weekend I had finally gained the 2 -4 pounds my coach said I would gain, but this morning it was gone again.

DRegan - I haven't researched/read a lot about the Paleo diet; I do have a nephew who was following the diet (he's a runner, hiker, 6th grade teacher). Was it difficult to start or does it fall in line with the way I was eating P1-P3?
Hi, it wasn't too hard to start paleo since I pretty much gave up wheat already, I felt so much better gut wise. Slowly I gave up the rest of the grains and dairy and legumes, which was minimal for me anyway. I have no more joint pain and my belly is happy! And flatter, lol! I'm heading into menapause slowly and I feel this will help. The wheat belly book is enlightening for sure and The Paleo solution is very good. I read a lot on many websites. Lots of blogs & recipes out there.

I guess phase 2 is more like it, protein and lots of veggies. I have fruit and sweet potatoes in moderation. Olive oil, coconut oil, avacados.
Everyone's different but I'm happy so far. No cravings,
I just fed my college son his favorite chicken parm with pasta and garlic bread, I stuck with garlic sautéed chicken with broccoli and marinara sauce, was yummy and I didn't feel deprived at all, the whole family was happy, lol!!

Good luck,
D
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #127  
Maile

Fitmom: you count net carbs. Your breakfast looked great.

Bubbleblower:We are lamb lovers also, but only now and then due to its high fat content. Your husband is quite the chef.

Dregan: I have gotten used to eating marinara with a protein and zucchini noodles. I don't miss the pasta either.

MDloser: congratulations on 6 months of maintenance. I also still avoid sugars, sweets,and carbs.

KKids: I am a teacher also and take salads for lunches. It helps me to make them the night before.

Maxxy: That is the beauty of IP. Having a P1 for a maintenance tool.

Happy New Year everyone.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #128  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi, everyone! Haven't checked in for a couple of weeks - busy with holiday/family stuff.

Dregan - I have been thinking about trying paleo/primal. Seems like whenever I gain a bit, I've been too high on carbs (for me, anyhow). Thinking that may just work better for me. Do you still count calories and carbs? Or just follow the general guidelines? Seems like there are a lot of variations to this approach.

Kkids - the whole idea of maintenance is scary at first... You will figure out what works for you. Just keep checking in and ask questions.

Bubbleblower, Maile - another lamb lover here! Almost always pickup some lamb chops when I am at Sam's Club. Love them with an olive oil, lemon juice, lemon rind, garlic, oregano marinade! Yum!

Congrats, MDLoser!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #129  

Hi lizzy,
I still use my fitness pal app daily, my carbs still stay around 50ish, net.
Calories around 1500, but I don't get too crazy, especially if I'm getting at
least 4 workouts in a week. Usually only 1-2 fruits a day, berries are best for fiber and lower sugars.
I've been enjoying baking with coconut and almond
flour recipes, banana bread is delish, my go to breakfast with black coffee.
I still have a quest bar occasionally, not perfectly paleo but IP compliant if I'm
stuck for time.
Also got my fitbit for Xmas, fun tracking steps & calories burned.

Happy new year everyone!!!!
Keep up the great work, you're all worth it!!!

D
Old 01-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #130  
Maile

Enjoy your fitbit! I am thinking of getting one of those trackers that you put on your shoe.

Lizzy63..that sounds like a great way to eat lamp chops. I also love lamb curry.

We are fogged in and my flight is cancelled. Now we have to drive to another city to leave. Winter can be hard!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #131  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

Height: 5'5"

Maile..Thanks so much for you constant presence on this site. You are my rock. I'm in a mini-reboot mode right now. You inspire me and make me believe that maintenance is possible.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #132  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone, and happy 2014!! I, for one, was more than happy to see 2013 to the door! Although there were a lot of highs (getting to goal weight and moving into our new home) there were a lot of tough times health-wise. Thankfully both my DH and I seem to be past that!

My weight was up a bit after a big (but yummy!) dinner of filet mignon and king crab legs on NYE, but I took it easy yesterday and am still below goal weight. I look at my goal weight as more of a top limit, and that seems to be working for me.

I eat mostly protein and veggies (not worrying about fat too much) and don't really ever seem to get hungry. My main challenge is to listen to my body and not to eat when I'm full.

Hope you all are off to a great start!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Happy New Year everyone!

bubbleblower I too find that my goal weight became my top weight and I found my emotional balance better that way.

Maxxy only 1 lb! Way to GO!

DRegan I like Paleo too, my mom introduced me to some almond flour paleo crackers. We figured out 5 crackers was an almond snack. I had to put them in the freezer so they weren't within easy reach. We used some epicure seasoning in them (dilly dill dip for one). SO SO good! I find my body is 'ok' with good fats and like to eat that way too I just really like my cheese even not pregnant so I can't say I eat paleo...I say "paleoish"

Maile Morrocan recipes - have you ever used a tajine? My gf got one for Christmas and told me all about it. It sounds FABULOUS and now have it on my list for something to buy next. I love love using cumin!

MDLoser Congrats on 6 months!

Lizzy I tried lamb once and did NOT like it, have you eaten it a lot throughout your life? I didn't grow up on it....my mom said that's probably why I didn't enjoy it. lol

I got into the ginger snaps over Christmas (kept it down to 3-4 actual cookies though, proud of that), I still dream about them (my Auntie put candied ginger in them!). I'm very proud that I kept it relatively under control but still enjoyed my treats. My sister was querying me about how I eat and how it hasn't really changed much and she's doing some serious thinking about paleo when she's done her masters.

I'm probably a little more 'relaxed' about it because I'm pregnant but meh...with no real 'fun' day I'm trying to keep the treats to just one day of the week to keep them at a minimum. Martha (my tummy) has made me 'pop' more so then usual and got the "you're only 4 1/2 months?!!" comment over Christmas. Yeah ;p! lol HOLY HANNAH boobs! Yeesh, I'm going to fall forward soon ! (sorry if that's TMI lol)

My cravings are still tomatoes and dairy, mostly cheese, I dream of cheese sometimes. I'm dreaming of some brussel sprouts though, VIP isn't home for supper so I'll cook them up the way I want them and not worry about someone whining too much . Don't get me wrong, I still will have the 'going out meals', had western chinese for New Years Eve and really enjoyed the dumplings! mmmm.

VIP did pretty good for his year at his weight, he's only up 5-7 but wants to go a little lower for some more wiggle room. SO, he's doing a reboot that started 1 Jan and I'm cracking out the Phase 1 appropriate suppers and making more for my lunches. WHICH helps me keep the weight gain to a 'creep up'.

I recieved a fitbit TOO for Christmas and it's working out AWESOME. I am not running now but the little machine is making me walk so I can see the 10K steps a day. My mom gave me a little smirk when I told her it was working to keep me moving.

Last edited by Ishbel; 01-02-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #134  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
I tried lamb once and did NOT like it, have you eaten it a lot throughout your life? I didn't grow up on it....my mom said that's probably why I didn't enjoy it. lol
I absolutely *hated* lamb growing up! It was always too gamey for me. I couldn't even stand the smell. I think a lot had to do with the quality of the lamb. When we buy it now, it's always New Zealand lamb, and the way my DH roasts it on the rotisserie with garlic cloves, it is just mouthwatering to me. I didn't even want to try it the first time until I started smelling it as it was cooking.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #135  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Hi Maintainers! I knw I've been MIA for a couple of months, but I'm still here and working at maintaining. I'm up about 5 pounds from my desired weight, which is 5 pounds under my posted goal, so I'm planning my P1 reboot. Just ordered some alternatives from Nashua and I'll see my coach on Tuesday and stock up on IP drinks. I'll probably start P 1 tomorrow and stay on for two weeks, then do a week of P2 and then a bit of P3 just to cement the loss. I still feel good and most clothes ft, although the 5 pounds shows on my tightest jeans. Funny how we notce that little bit.

But it was a good holiday. Last year I was on P1 and stayed 100% during the holidays. Ths year I allowed myself "treats," although not nearly what I used to do. The sweets did not tempt me like they used to. A small taste was sufficient, and I was abe to resist crazy eating. That felt good. But I knw I overdid the carbs by eating bagels. Ah well.

I really enjoy my " normal" maintenance eating and it felt great to eat my grilled chicken, cucumbers, ad roasted corn last night.

I'm so inspired by you all and want to continue to post and read your posts.

One more day of vacation, then back to school for me.

Happy New Year to you all!
Closed Thread