Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt6 View Post
I have a trip planed to London and Paris for 10 days in July. I know I am going to get some backlash for this, but my coach and I decided it would be best to do a mini-phase-off of IP (1 week on P2, 1 week on P3) for the trip, and then get back on the wagon upon my return. I am nervous about doing this since I have so much momentum right now, but I think it will be best. Part of enjoying Europe is enjoying the culture, and especially in Paris, part of the culture is the food. I made a promise to myself not to go overboard on things that are off plan (for example, I won't go back to drinking soda or putting sugar in my coffee), but I want to enjoy my vacation properly. I hope it works out. I think the fact that I have a plan going in is better than any decision I would have made before IP (i.e., I'm on vacation, let's go nuts!), so that is a step in the right direction.
I don't think you should get backlash for this. I did this a mini phase off (about 11 months into it) and went to Mexico enjoyed girlie drinks paid attention to what I was eating AND paid attention to how my body reacted but really just enjoyed my vacation. The rule was though, you're 'ok' once the plane lifts of Canadian soil and it's game on (Phase 1) as soon as it lands. No looking back, no 'settling' in. Be ready with all your packets to start immediately.

About 3 months into my IP journey I wrote down all the reasons why I wanted to lose weight. Right before Mexcio I took that list and added "what work have you done to get this far". I took that list (and a before and now picture) with me to Mexcio and read it everyday to remind myself why this may be a vacation but it didn't mean I was done). I encourage you to do the same thing. I encourage a lot of poeple to do that and a few of them have said "nah, I know why I want to do this" - there is something 'different' about knowing it and writing it...and then reading it.

Good luck, with the right planning you'll rock it!

Last edited by Ishbel; 06-20-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #17  
Started ip 4/15/2013

S/C/G: 157/150/120

Height: 5'6"

OMG this post could not have come at a better time. July 1-6 i'm leaving for a family wedding and have been thinking to try and stay on program as much as i can. I know i can definitely do the shakes in the morning the problem for me was going to be lunch and dinner. As i am indian and the family that is getting married is veg. i'll have a hard time trying to get my dinner protein in (the vegetables will be saturated in oil and excess of salt so i'm not going to touch that). And of course our weddings are crazy hectic and long i'm just not sure how i'm going to sneak out. So i was thinking of making some chicken (deli meat) rolls with peppers in the middle as a good snack to have around me to keep me at bay and i might indulge in the higher carb items just to help me out.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Just returned from 10 days away...

Quote:
I have a trip planed to London and Paris for 10 days in July. I know I am going to get some backlash for this, but my coach and I decided it would be best to do a mini-phase-off of IP (1 week on P2, 1 week on P3) for the trip, and then get back on the wagon upon my return. I am nervous about doing this since I have so much momentum right now, but I think it will be best. Part of enjoying Europe is enjoying the culture, and especially in Paris, part of the culture is the food. I made a promise to myself not to go overboard on things that are off plan (for example, I won't go back to drinking soda or putting sugar in my coffee), but I want to enjoy my vacation properly. I hope it works out. I think the fact that I have a plan going in is better than any decision I would have made before IP (i.e., I'm on vacation, let's go nuts!), so that is a step in the right direction.
Hi all..just returned from a 10 day family vaca on Captiva Island...big beach house entire family...wonderful weather...time and memories!

Also wonderful food and family meals. I had planned to stay with the program for this trip since it was all close family...but found I really wanted to enjoy at least some of the meals and experiences with everyone...so I pretty much did most days. Making minor modifications to what I ate compared to the rest of the family: Stuck to egg white omlettes or an IP drink for breakfast...salads with small portions of left over grilled meats at lunch each day and enjoyed the family dinners we planned of seafood and salads. Confession: I had 3 mojito mixed drinks.....(No Sugar)....and 2 glasses of champagne during the week, then with trepidation...had a weigh in this AM...and I lost 3.2 lbs. I would have been happy to have "maintained"...

No "snack" foods at all though... and portions were small of anything I ate at breakfast or lunch that was not IP. I think not losing my head over eating "real" food and the knowledge that I'd jump right back to the P-1 protocol once vaca was done.... helped me enjoy what liberties I took, and I am so happy I did it that way. When there really wasn't anything I was dying to eat for a meal...I used a shake. The mixed drinks were enjoyable...but not something I'm ready to do again anytime soon. But gooosshhh...I enjoyed it all.

The fact I'm well into the rhythm of this plan and have lost 2/3 of what I hope to lose...(which is over 50 lbs now) was probably a plus. My body actually seemed to enjoy the break...and I don't feel guilty since I feel I was choosing responsibly and carefully, and am pleased with the scale today.

I'm not advocating this for any or every one...but feel some sense of power over this whole process now that I know I can manage the choices and not wreck what's been done. The thought of the next phases and maintenance terrified me a few weeks go. Now I think it won't be so bad. This was a good idea for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #19  

I recently went to a family wedding and took a soft-side cooler with foods that would compliment what was being served (no veggies served and the only salad was a pasta salad). I brought along my own seltzer water and gave it to the bartender to serve to me. I stayed on plan just fine throughout the wedding and reception.

Quote:
I'm not sure what backlash you expect? You won't be in the country. Everything will be different and no control over food choices. I would have phased off too, and made the best choices I could each day.
I'm learning that vacations can be about more than the food, no matter where I go. This will carry me far in my maintenance life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
Yesterday was the hungriest I have been in a while. I wanted to eat anything and ended up having 5 packets. In looking back, however, my Tuesday eating was off due to my weigh in and some personal things that were going on, making me not hungry. Needless to say, not eating well enough one day throws you off the next so I am going to be more mindful of that.
Glad you figured out why you were so doggone hungry.
Extra packets kept you on plan. Good for you! Much better choice than what could have happened!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 230.8/199.5/150

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
I don't think you should get backlash for this. I did this a mini phase off (about 11 months into it) and went to Mexico enjoyed girlie drinks paid attention to what I was eating AND paid attention to how my body reacted but really just enjoyed my vacation. The rule was though, you're 'ok' once the plane lifts of Canadian soil and it's game on (Phase 1) as soon as it lands. No looking back, no 'settling' in. Be ready with all your packets to start immediately.

About 3 months into my IP journey I wrote down all the reasons why I wanted to lose weight. Right before Mexcio I took that list and added "what work have you done to get this far". I took that list (and a before and now picture) with me to Mexcio and read it everyday to remind myself why this may be a vacation but it didn't mean I was done). I encourage you to do the same thing. I encourage a lot of poeple to do that and a few of them have said "nah, I know why I want to do this" - there is something 'different' about knowing it and writing it...and then reading it.

Good luck, with the right planning you'll rock it!
Thank you so much for your support! I was thinking this morning that I should write a letter from my motivated self to my coming home from vacation self to remind me of the way I feel RIGHT NOW. I love your idea of bringing the letter along with me.

As excited as I am for a "break" from IP, I'm nervous that I will fall HARD off the wagon and not want to get back on. I think the you suggested doesn't leave me the option. Thank you!!

Last edited by amt6; 06-20-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 297 / 266 /160

Height: 5'5"

Today's topic is especially fitting for summertime and the travel most of us do in one way or another over the warmer months! I spent the last four days in Breckenridge at a convention. I planned like a crazy lady and took a ton of packets with me as well as veggies. And a couple of gallons of water. Basically it looked like I was moving when I rolled my big cooler full of stuff in with me.

And my giant bag with a LOT of clothes. My shape is changing so much daily that I knew I needed extra options because things are fitting so differently day to day.

I had a couple of NSVs and Revelations on the trip though:

1) At first I was kind of ashamed to be "on a diet". I wasn't telling anyone except my immediate family. I was I guess worried that even though I "see" everyone else's successes that maybe it wouldn't work for me, or was simply embarassed. I never wanted to be the "big girl" dieting and having everyone thinking stuff "like its about dang time". Its a personal hang up and probably most people wouldn't think that. At any rate, I digress, basically four weeks in I have had a revelation: I am owning this diet. I am doing it for me. I will be a better me. Now I'm not like shouting it from the rooftops, but if people question what I'm eating, or why I brought a giant cooler to a convention at a fancy resort in Breck, I am saying with confidence and ownership: "I'm on a special diet and need my goodies!"

2) At the convention I managed to stay almost entirely OP!!! I did have a slip up at the 2 meals that were served rather than buffet style, BUT instead of the slip up being that I ate the entire scoop of mashed potatoes next to my chuck roll and the cheesecake desert already on the table, I ate 2 bites of mashed potatoes and thought to myself "I don't need this. I am better than this. I control what I eat. NOT my belly!" Same thing with the desserts both nights!

I actually feel even more motivated, knowing that instead of horking down the food without a thought other than how tasty it was, I consciously was able to eat one or two bites then re-evaluate. This is progress!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
In looking back, however, my Tuesday eating was off due to my weigh in and some personal things that were going on, making me not hungry. Needless to say, not eating well enough one day throws you off the next so I am going to be more mindful of that.
My weigh-ins are at 3:00 p.m. I eat normally on weigh in days because I really feel that throwing the timing of my meals will play havoc with the consistent blood sugar that I am hoping this eating plan helps me achieve. If you think about it, by trying not to eat or drinking water before a weigh-in you are going to have a false-low weight and may set yourself up for hunger and temptation for later in the day as you experienced this week. Happy to hear that you survived with both arms intact
Old 06-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 187/138/140

Height: 5'3"

Loving this thread and agree that IP is doable on trips (in country anyway)! With dehydrated foods and a solid plan I was able to stay OP during a recent camping trip. Plan plan plan!!

I did my first restaurant meal last night with book club girlfriends. One friend has been on a shake diet for a month and lost 7lbs. She splurged with chips and bean in addition to a wedge salad drenched in dressing. Another friend previously lost a lot of weight but looks to have put some back on (apparently had a slice of wedding cake and downhill from there for several weeks). She had steak slathered with butter and massive amounts of fries as she was wanting to splurge. Other non-dieting friends had fries and chips all about the table but thankfully I was able to avoid them.

The waitress was awesome and let me get the steak sans butter and swap grilled asparagus with olive oil in for the fries. Didn't mean to feel superior but I did. I wasn't bloated and stuffed after the meal and was super happy to have stayed on track!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #24  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

3 day re start HEADACHE is gone! Whooooo Hoooo.

Hunger is pretty much under control and not the constant distraction.

I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 12!

I hope you all have a great day and great night.

I've decided "baking cookies" is more fun than eating cookies!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 229/218/155

Height: 5' 8"

I made it! I hit my goal! Phase 3 is awesome. Keep OP. the payoff is worth it!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #26  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by harper75 View Post
I made it! I hit my goal! Phase 3 is awesome. Keep OP. the payoff is worth it!
Congratulations!! What an exciting milestone. And thanks for sharing it as it also provides some great inspiration.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 140/140/126

Height: 5'6"

I'm new to this forum and thread although have been low carbing for years but have slipped in the last year. Can I check what you mean by packets please?
Old 06-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkydunky View Post
I'm new to this forum and thread although have been low carbing for years but have slipped in the last year. Can I check what you mean by packets please?
Chunky: this is an Ideal Protein thread. We follow the ideal protein plan & purchase the moderate protein/ low carb packets from them or alternate sources.
More info is available in our stickies

Last edited by lisa32989; 06-20-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #29  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkydunky View Post
This thread/subforum is specific to the Ideal protein diet, which uses packets of high protein meal replacements as part of the plan.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaAnn View Post
Today's topic is especially fitting for summertime and the travel most of us do in one way or another over the warmer months! ......
I actually feel even more motivated, knowing that instead of horking down the food without a thought other than how tasty it was, I consciously was able to eat one or two bites then re-evaluate. This is progress!
Amen...and best of luck to you ! Part of the ownership for this going forward is making those decisions, sometimes at the spur of the moment. I am starting to see that feeling in charge of the control lever is of paramount importance to the success level when we are thrown into the deep end of the pool!!
Closed Thread