Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Swilk, what do you teach? (Just curious.) Sorry to hear that you're having the headache thing too. Mine seems to have have subsided for now. (Fingers crossed.) For the most part though, mine weren't intense like yours. It really does sound good idea to go get that checked out.

My brother-in-law just lost 10 lbs on IP in 10 days. He doesn't really talk much, but my sister called to tell me that he is happy, and to thank me for telling them about IP. They have mentioned it to my nephew (age 37) who is overweight, and his ears perked up. We may have another convert soon!

Gotta tell you that I am delighted to feel "recalibrated". I am really ENJOYING eating whole grain toast, fat free cottage cheese, and lima beans now. Heck -- just being able to put real salad dressing on huge salad is a huge treat! I don't feel at all deprived -- even though I am still on a diet. I know that the pizza and french fries will still be available down the road and later on I can have them on occasion. But I'm not particularly craving them, because right now I am so much enjoying eating healthy foods!
Birman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #47  

Lilita, wasn't it you who posted that excellent info about muscle building, inflammation, and weight loss? I did a search, but couldn't find it. I think some of the new members in the regular IP thread would be interested in that info.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 192/192/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi All, I'm back to work tomorrow and feeling pretty good.
I was happy to get on the scale this morning and I'm down another 2 lbs.
My headaches have also subsided. I am feeling much better so maybe I was feeling alot of stress from my surgery that I had last Friday.

Today's menu was:
Breakfast: an oven toasted corn tortilla (no flour) with all natural peanut butter with a tea and skim milk
Coffee with skim milk...no sugar
Lunch: Vegetable salad with LF ranch dressing, tomatoes, cucumbers, feta
Snack: cerlery
Dinner: 1/2 corn tortilla with olive oil sauteed veggies, bean sprouts, feta grilled in my pennini grill thingy & sauteed shrimp in garlic
Later: tea with skim milk
Lots of water, B complex and D.

Tomorrow I'm going to be a little more creative but have been lazy lately and eating for some reason hasn't been a priority....it's nice not to be hungry but I know that will catch up with me and I'll either get really bored and mess up all together on my diet and/or start feeling lousy again. Tomorrow a good cereal for breakfast and fruit for snack and my regular greek salad for lunch.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Trish
skittlescda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #49  

Glad you're mending fast and feeling well, Skittles!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #50  
Goddess of Research

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

Talking wAY LATE RESPONSE about ketosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittlescda View Post
I'm almost wondering if I can support the IP diet anymore when it puts so much emphasis on ketosis and when I read posts like the one I just read on another forum by Soccermomof93 about being in Ketosis...and then about counting carbs. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this ketosis thing and testing strips/sticks and counting carbs. Did you do it and it just seems so sad when I read that people are so terribly upset about being in/out of ketosis.
Just venting but would love to hear what everyone has to say about this topic.
Have a nice evening!
Hi Skittles,

This response is a week later than the posting, but I couldn't resist with the topic of your post, I found it interesting. First of all I was shocked you had been on Atkins and never heard of ketosis... since usually its emphasized- but thats neither here nor there. I agree with you about the panic over the ketostix, because if you look into medical research and studies- you will see that they are hardly accurate and only represent 1) 10-20% of the ketones your liver produces daily and 2) it only measures one of the three ketones( acetone, acetoacetic acid, and beta-hydroxybutyric acid) produced by the liver. Acetoacetic acid is the one excreted in urine and in your breath, I believe and only accounts for a very small portion of all the ketones at work in your body, so you can test negative or trace and still be well in to ketosis for a wide number of variables- which is why I agree with you about people freaking out about the ketostix. It works for an indirect measurement of whether you are in ketosis or not but people should not become depressed or panic if the readings are not high or what they desire as long as they are following the protocol. The best way to check is blood testing which is just completely inconvienent! Thats where I think counting carbs (just to be informed and educated) is a good idea. So you know you are following the plan and you don't need to FREAK about a negative reading because your body is doing alot more than that test strip can say! Because when it comes down to it- the carbohydrates are what are going to keep you from burning fat if they get too high- if you choose the low carb route. So you can relax and tell the ketostix to take a hike and stop peeing on them 12 times a day! The only other thing I do is read and research like a maniac- because there is nothing better for frustration and not knowing whats going on (WHY AM I NOT LOSING WEIGHT?!) probably the most popular topic- than to become very educated and learn all the details- from reputable sources!!

But that is just my take on your post. I agree with you on the panic etc.
MuayThaiGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #51  
Started IP 1/8/10

S/C/G: 192.5/166/130

Height: 5'4"

Birman -- I teach special education. This year, I co-teach in a fourth grade classroom for half of the day and teach students with learning disabilities in the afternoon in resource groups. Last year I taught students with severe disabilities in a self-contained classroom. It's likely I'll be going back to that next year, which I'm really looking forward to. I really love my job, and I feel so fortunate to be able to say that.

In other news, I am really in a rough spot right now. I've been having a lot of intense lower abdominal/pelvic pain over the past week. It's possible it's the endo, like my doctor thought, but there's a chance it could be ovarian cysts or something else. I'm going to have an ultrasound on Thursday, and I can't wait to figure out what's going on. My whole body just feels like it's shutting down: this pain, the headaches, joint pain, extreme fatigue, etc. I'm supposed to be at my step class right now, and instead I'm on the couch with a heating pad trying to feel even remotely comfortable.

I had thought that the diet was a big factor in the way I'd been feeling, but now I'm really wondering how much of an impact it even had. I feel worse now than I did a few weeks ago (though I have not felt like I was going to pass out as I had while on the diet). It's killing me too, because I weighed in this morning at 171 lbs. I'm eating well and making good choices, but I must be doing something wrong. I'm really looking forward to three weeks from now, when my surgery will be behind me and I can go back to IP. If I'm going to feel sick, I might as well be losing some weight while I do it

Sorry to be so negative, I'm just really feeling down tonight. I hope you all have a great week and that you're progressing with your weight loss
swilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 202/166/150

Default Lindora Question

Hey guys! My husband is seeing my great results with IP (and some people at his work) and he actually asked me about him doing it. However, he doesn't want to spend the $330 for the initial start up that my center charges. That includes 11 days of product, the three supplements, and $100 of that is for the consult. So...I wasn't interested in Lindora before, but now I am - for him.

Is anyone here doing Lindora exclusively? Are you losing and not hungry? I also remember talk of other supplements but when I did a search I couldn't find where to get them.

Thanks guys for any info you can give me
stacerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #53  

Swilk - I am so sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. Being in pain all the time sounds awful. And now you have worry on top of it. I'm glad it is only a couple more days until you have the ultrasound and can find out for sure.

If it was me, I wouldn't even bother with dieting right now. Really. Eat healthfully, and take care of your body. Whatever diet you want to be on will still be there when you are ready.

Regarding your weight gain, I think it's possible that you are doing nothing wrong. I've done IP for short periods three times now. And I automatically now expect to see the scale jump up 4 or 5 lbs as soon as I go off. Did this time too, and I didn't even worry about it. Some of that is the extra volume of food in my system. The rest of it is water -- since we are eating more carbs, and carbs attract water. I really doubt that you have put on fat, Swilk. Really.

You might try sticking with low glycemic carbs for now, and not having fat when you eat your carbs. If you do that and generally eat healthfully, I am pretty darn sure you won't gain fat. Hang in there!

PS: I'm glad that you have a meaningful job that you love so much.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacerp View Post
Hey guys! My husband is seeing my great results with IP (and some people at his work) and he actually asked me about him doing it. However, he doesn't want to spend the $330 for the initial start up that my center charges. That includes 11 days of product, the three supplements, and $100 of that is for the consult. So...I wasn't interested in Lindora before, but now I am - for him.

Is anyone here doing Lindora exclusively? Are you losing and not hungry? I also remember talk of other supplements but when I did a search I couldn't find where to get them.

Thanks guys for any info you can give me
Stacerp, I think you probably actually meant to post in the Alternate IP thread instead of this one. But you've landed here with us Rebels, and you DID actually ask us for our advice. (heheh) So... with that invitation....

Background first: I alternate doing the IP diet with doing a more flexible diet. This last time on IP I lost 22 lbs in 30 days. No, I wasn't hungry. And no, I didn't use the IP products. Personally, I didn't use the Lindora ones either. (I've tried both, but couldn't be bothered using them.) Instead, I bought a good quality bulk protein powder and good supplements and ate pretty well like Phase 2 of IP -- eating 2 real food meals per day instead of one and protein shakes other times.

I have read Dr. Tran Tien's book, I have looked at the ingredients list of the IP products, and given what he says are the principles of the diet, I just don't see why using IP packets is better than eating real food. I think if we are careful in our choices we can get a roughly equivalent high level of nutrients, with roughly equivalent low carbs, low fat, and low calories using real food as opposed to packets. In fact, on this diet I wouldn't touch the bars that IP sells with a 10 foot pole! They contain sugar, malitol syrup (which is has a very high glycemic index) cane sugar, brown rice syrup, etc. For a low carb diet, no less!!! A few items like the IP soups and puddings have a nice high protein to carb ratio -- which is what we want. In my opinion, most of the rest aren't overly impressive (and a few of them are poor.) That's IP. My opinion is that their products are generally better than the Lindora products-- better quality of protein and stuff. However, my rebel opinion is that one doesn't need packets of any kind to do this diet well.

My suggestion would be to start your husband on packets (from either company) for a week or two. Get him used to the idea of strict dieting. Give his tastes buds a chance to adjust. Then, consider transitioning over to Phase 2, using real food and bulk protein powder.

Regarding protein powder, isolates have the best protein to carb ratio. Here are ones I use that have no aspartame, have a really good nutrional profile, and taste great! Syntrax Nectar (lemonade and other fruit flavors) Prolab Whey Protein Isolate (chocolate), Kaizen Precision Isolate (vanilla), and Now Whey Protein Isolate (unflavored). You can get good protein isolates just at the health food store, though. I can also tell you what other supplements I use if you're interested, but once again there is nothing magical about them. I just buy whatever I see at Costco or iHerb that is close to the nutritional ingredients of the IP supplements.

I know I didn't answer your question about Lindora. Sorry ya landed here, aren't ya, Stacerp? <wink> They can help you more with Lindora product in the Alternate IP thread. (Mine Lindora packets are just sitting in the cupboard -- so I can't tell you much about 'em!) So try asking over there.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #55  
before picture in profile

S/C/G: 213/183/165

Height: 5ft 7 and 3/4th

Drive by posting: been working at my regular job (ER nurse) plus busy with my side-job (selling jewelry at home parties.)

Plus food shopping, food prepping and cooking is time consuming!

I have now been on the No Flour No Sugar diet for about a week with no weight gain. I feel great. It seems like so much food! I shop at my local health food store and the produce there is organic, locally grown and huge. And not expensive either! I feel so lucky to live in California where great food is easy to find.

I am talking about giant, sweet strawberries, juicy oranges and romaine lettuce that is too big for the plastic bags. I could go on but I don't want to make y'all too envious.

After being on IP, the world of fruits, root vegetables, nut butters and whole grains is so delightful. I don't have any desire for junky food. Yay!

Be back later in the week to respond to some of your posts.
Lilita175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #56  

Question

Hi All,

Lilita175 I am envious! I live in Ontario Canada, not in the big city but a touristy "cottage" area with a winter population of roughly 34,000 and that more than triples in the summer months. I do most of my shopping at The Super Store, local health food store and sometimes Walmart and if I drive to the closest largest city Barrie Ontario then I'll go to Costco for my produce.
I have to say that for this time of year we have amazing produce also with great prices too. Lot's of strawberries, blackberries and the asparagus is plentiful. I remember not long ago these items being expensive and we'd see them only in the summer or fall....now we can buy them year round here in Ontario.
I'm loving the No Flour, No Sugar diet and I dug out my Mediterrranean Diet Cookbook a few days ago and I'm combining the two. I'm eating so healthy and I have no interest in eating any other way. I don't ever have that feeling anymore where I feel that I have to EAT and EAT NOW. I have the patience to take the time and make myself something healthy. Last night I had turnip fries, roasted chicken breast and greek salad with a Chai Tea later in the evening. I also had a glass of white wine while waiting for dinner to cook.
I think just adding fruit back into my diet has made all the difference and having a whole grain tortilla occassionally is giving me much needed fibre.

I haven't had any flour, sugar, pasta, potatoes or rice since I started IP in January. I haven't had an IP product for 4 days now. I've bought some Risotto which is supposed to be a very good substitute for rice. I've had a couple of pieces of fat free swiss cheese and I eat a little feta cheese with my salad or if I grill veggies and put them in my corn tortilla I'll sprinkle in some feta cheese before putting it in the panini grill.

I'm an HR manager for a manufacturing company and yesterday two of the ladies in the plant stopped me to tell me that I look great and years younger (no more bloated face lol) and wanted to know what diet I was on. That really made me feel so fantastic....I was smiling big time inside lol. I mentioned it to my 23 yo daughter last night and she said..."Mom, you do look younger because you look HEALTHY!"

I had surgery last Friday so I'm holding off on the exercise until April 1st....but then I'm going to get going on that too.

I can't stress enough how much better I feel and that the No Flour, No Sugar plan is working for me.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #57  

One thing I meant to mention in my earlier post, since it's probably the most important thing that has worked for me and I feel is crucial for anyone trying to lose weight, is to use a food log. I still use the IP log they gave me....I copied the pages of the green booklet and I keep track everyday what I eat, how much water I drink, vitamins and supplements and make notes on how I'm feeling that day on a scale of 1-10. At first it was an inconvenience but now I keep it with me and update it throughout the day because I know it's important for my continued success and gives me peace of mind knowing that I have it to look back on so that I keep on track.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #58  

Lilita -- nice to see ya stopping by. Glad to hear that all is going well with you, and enjoyed reading about your luscious food.

PS: I'm still trying to deal with my headache. Am attempting to drink a gallon of water today. Will be up all night I'm sure!

Skittles -- glad to hear that you're doing well too. Your food sounds yummy too!

And Skittles, I think that's a great idea to keep logging your foods. I'm actually considering doing that to see if I can figure out what is causing my headache.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #59  
Goddess of Research

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 5'8

One really important thing is his balance of all of the amino acids to in honor muscle loss so it's just purely fat loss that's like one of the core principles of the diet... I would be interested in seeing if it could be duplipcated
MuayThaiGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #60  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiGoddess View Post
One really important thing is his balance of all of the amino acids to in honor muscle loss so it's just purely fat loss that's like one of the core principles of the diet... I would be interested in seeing if it could be duplipcated
Not sure what you mean about "duplicating" it, MTG. Are you referring to my post about using other high quality protein powders instead of the IP packets? Or are you referring to something else?