Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #46  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Default Fiber

All of this information is valuable. I do have one question, though. Has anyone found anything at all that is low in carbs but high in fiber?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #47  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
All of this information is valuable. I do have one question, though. Has anyone found anything at all that is low in carbs but high in fiber?
I am not sure I understand the question. In theory, the answer to your question is vegetables.

Are you asking about a ready made product that is protein, low carb and high fiber?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 180/180/154

Height: 5'5"

Posted this on the alternative site....but thought I might add it here....
I have a bar I like to use.....I get it from netrition.com. It is called "Oh Yeah." Stats are:
Carbs: 8g...fiber is 2g..(so to me, net carbs would be 6g). There is , however, 2g of sugar and 13g of total fat (6g of saturdated..0g trans fat). ...calories however are: 210. Protein is 14g. I used this as a meal replacement.....and certainly NOT everyday. Not ideal...but not bad tasting. I DO like the 14g of protein. Gonna check out dietdirect.

Might try those Slimdownbars...or Pure Protein from Walmart...I THINK there is less calories,but more carbs.

One trick I learned LONG ago is the DiVinci sugarfree syrups. A bit pricey (netrition.com is cheapest). I have them set up (looks like a bar!!). I would add this to shakes or puddings. My favs are toasted marshmallow and pumpkin pie (mmmm...add to IP butterscotch puddings). It certainly allows variation. Now using EAS shakes....I put the shakes in a blender with ice...and add a DiVinci syrup. WalMart has Torani syrups....fav is raspberry.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlaker View Post
Posted this on the alternative site....but thought I might add it here....
I have a bar I like to use.....I get it from netrition.com. It is called "Oh Yeah." Stats are:
Carbs: 8g...fiber is 2g..(so to me, net carbs would be 6g). There is , however, 2g of sugar and 13g of total fat (6g of saturdated..0g trans fat). ...calories however are: 210. Protein is 14g. I used this as a meal replacement.....and certainly NOT everyday. Not ideal...but not bad tasting. I DO like the 14g of protein. Gonna check out dietdirect.

Might try those Slimdownbars...or Pure Protein from Walmart...I THINK there is less calories,but more carbs.

One trick I learned LONG ago is the DiVinci sugarfree syrups. A bit pricey (netrition.com is cheapest). I have them set up (looks like a bar!!). I would add this to shakes or puddings. My favs are toasted marshmallow and pumpkin pie (mmmm...add to IP butterscotch puddings). It certainly allows variation. Now using EAS shakes....I put the shakes in a blender with ice...and add a DiVinci syrup. WalMart has Torani syrups....fav is raspberry.
I use Supreme Protein & Slimdown bar as restricted items.

Stats are :

Supreme Protein Peanut Butter Crunch :

Calorie: 200
Fat : 9
Carbs : 13
Prot : 15

Slimdown Almond Coconut :

Calorie: 150
Fat: 7
Carbs: 15
Prot: 15

Those are my 2 favorites, although all the Supreme Protein are delicious ! They taste like Oh Henry! chocolate bar. Slimdown Almond Coconut is IMO the best one, followed by Belgian Crispy Chocolate. The peanut butter one is really hard to find (well atleast here in Quebec) and so not worth it.

Hope this help
Old 06-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #50  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. I'm used to eating 25 or more grams of protein from vegetables, lentils, etc. Every time I try to create a sample daily menu with waht I'm allowed, I come up short about 10 grams. I know there's no way of getting around that with just the amount of vegetables and salad we're allowed. So yes, I guess I'm looking for a legitimate low carb packaged food, liquid or solid, that I can use to get more fiber. And thanks so much for replying.
hi Linden, I just posted a long thing in this week's chat about fiber. My short answer is psyllium capsules. IP is now selling their own version (psyllium, aloe and prune) so I know they are on plan. They will make up the soluble fiber you are missing from grains and lentils.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #51  

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. I'm used to eating 25 or more grams of protein from vegetables, lentils, etc. Every time I try to create a sample daily menu with waht I'm allowed, I come up short about 10 grams. I know there's no way of getting around that with just the amount of vegetables and salad we're allowed. So yes, I guess I'm looking for a legitimate low carb packaged food, liquid or solid, that I can use to get more fiber. And thanks so much for replying.

are you already using this product?
http://www.edenfoods.com/store/produ...ucts_id=103050

It is on plan to use Soya, soy beans. the black soybeans are the lowest net carbs, only 1 carb per 1/2 cup, and have 11g protein in the same serving. You can use it several times a day as it is on the unrestricted veggies list.

So, if you had 1 cup of that per day it would give you 22g of protein from a vegetable source. You can buy it online about 1.85 per 15oz can. OR buy the case at 19.98 for 12 cans. I think you can also order this from amazon stores.

I would also suggest, one cup of spinach (5 gms of protein) or broccoli (4 gms of protein) or asaparagus (5.5g), or alfalfa spouts added to a salad (1.5g), green soybeans (28g but have more carbs to think about), beet greens (3.5g), chinese cabbage (pak Choi) has (2.5g), cauliflower (2g), celery (1g), dandelion greens (2g), mushroom 3g, summer squash (yellow/croooked neck) or zucchini (2g).

Here is a link to a great site, you might already know about it!
http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-0...l?maxCount=498

This particular page gives a quick reference of fiber. If you compare that to what is above, maybe you can get a bit closer to closing in on those last 10 g of high fiber protein sources.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #52  

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. I'm used to eating 25 or more grams of protein from vegetables, lentils, etc. Every time I try to create a sample daily menu with what I'm allowed, I come up short about 10 grams. I know there's no way of getting around that with just the amount of vegetables and salad we're allowed. So yes, I guess I'm looking for a legitimate low carb packaged food, liquid or solid, that I can use to get more fiber. And thanks so much for replying.

It is on plan to use Soya, soy beans. the black soybeans are the lowest net carbs, only 1 carb per 1/2 cup, 7g of fiber and 11g protein in the same serving. You can use it several times a day as it is on the unrestricted veggies list.

So, if you had 1 cup of that per day it would give you 22g of protein from a vegetable source. You can buy it online about 1.85 per 15oz can. OR buy the case at 19.98 for 12 cans. I think you can also order this from amazon stores.

I would also suggest, one cup of spinach (5 gms of protein) or broccoli (4 gms of protein) or asaparagus (5.5g), or alfalfa spouts added to a salad (1.5g), green soybeans (28g but have more carbs to think about), beet greens (3.5g), chinese cabbage (pak Choi) has (2.5g), cauliflower (2g), celery (1g), dandelion greens (2g), mushroom 3g, summer squash (yellow/croooked neck) or zucchini (2g).

Here is a link to a great site, you might already know about it!
http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-0...l?maxCount=498

This particular page gives a quick reference of fiber. If you compare that to what is above, maybe you can get a bit closer to closing in on those last 10 g of high fiber protein sources.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #53  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post

It is on plan to use Soya, soy beans.
I never noticed Soya on the list, but it makes sense. I'm assuming Edamame would also fall under Soya?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #54  
Dave - The Speedo King

BTW, does anyone have any idea what to tell my coach now that I'm using EAS AdvantEdge shakes in place of the IP drinks for breakfast?

Level with the coach and say I'm concerned with the cost?

If I got all of my protein from the EAS shakes, I'd be spending $25/wk. instead of $85...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
I never noticed Soya on the list, but it makes sense. I'm assuming Edamame would also fall under Soya?
I think, and this is a highly personal opinion, that the answer is yes! Here is why, if you look at the nutritional data for 1/2cup of edamame, the net carbs per serving are 4 which, makes it fall in with the other unrestricted veggies levels. I might be a little more cautious in the quantity I eat of this versus the mature black soy beans. I have actually mixed the green soy bean (unshelled edamame) with the black soy for a more colorful dish. It is really nice with a chili pepper lime dressing too.

Here's what you'll find in a 1/2 cup serving of shelled edamame (or 1 1/8 cup edamame in the pods):

* 120 calories
* 9 grams fiber
* 2.5 grams fat
* 1.5 grams polyunsaturated fat (0.3 grams plant omega-3 fatty acids)
* 0.5 gram monounsaturated fat
* 11 grams protein
* 13 grams carbohydrate
* 15 mg sodium
* 10% of the Daily Value for vitamin C
* 10% Daily Value for iron
* 8% Daily Value for vitamin A
* 4% Daily Value for calcium

Quote:
BTW, does anyone have any idea what to tell my coach now that I'm using EAS AdvantEdge shakes in place of the IP drinks for breakfast?

Level with the coach and say I'm concerned with the cost?

If I got all of my protein from the EAS shakes, I'd be spending $25/wk. instead of $85...
UMMM ... this is a tough one. You really have no way to avoid the discussion. When you cut back to buying the equivalent of 2 packets a day, it will raise questions. All I can say is be honest about the need to control the cost. You can say you want to use an alternate approach with other protein drinks or egg whites only for the other meal. I use just IP products and I know the cost is a real concern. I don't know how my coach would deal with it. Maybe someone else has gone down this road???

Last edited by showgirlaz; 06-17-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #56  
Dave - The Speedo King

Question

Quote:

UMMM ... this is a tough one. You really have no way to avoid the discussion. When you cut back to buying the equivalent of 2 packets a day, it will raise questions. All I can say is be honest about the need to control the cost. You can say you want to use an alternate approach with other protein drinks or egg whites only for the other meal. I use just IP products and I know the cost is a real concern. I don't know how my coach would deal with it. Maybe someone else has gone down this road???
It would really help me if anyone has had this discussion with their coach, or a similar discussion.

I'm doing IP through my doctor, he's been on the plan for a while, and it's worked great for him. It's working great for me, too. My coach is a nurse from his office. Her husband is on IP and it's doing well for him. As this is my family doctor's office, I'd rather not cheese them off. I only bought one box of food last week. Sooner or later, that's going to catch up with me because eyebrows will be raised.

BTW, I'm tall and my ideal weight is still over 200 lbs, so my doc suggested 4 packets a day to preserve muscle mass. I've been doing 3 a day, unless I feel extremely hungry in the afternoon when I'll add another drink. Moving forward this will almost always be an AES drink. That way I can get my extra protein without incurring greater IP cost.

Here's the thing. The cost is less of an issue than what I perceive to be the value. It's not that I can't afford it. It's just that I have a hard time buying the IP UHT chocolate drink at $4.50/per when I actually get more protein and more potassium from the AES AdvantEdge at $1.25. I think the AES tastes better, there's more variety, and I like that it's actually a larger serving (11 oz. vs. 8 oz.). I'm a little concerned about the cholesterol in the AES, but my cholesterol levels aren't bad to begin with.

Same goes for the Pure Protein bars. The IP bars are good, lower in carbs and calories, but at $4/ea., it's really hard to justify when I can pick up a 6 pack of Pure Protein at Wal-Mart for $6.

It's starting to sound like I think IP is a rip-off, which I don't feel at all. But from Day 1 I started looking for cheaper ways to get the packets (saw some chicken soup on eBay for cheap -- then realized it was there because it's just plain nasty!). I guess there's just a part of me that always tries to beat the system, to get the best deal. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Looking down the road after I've reached my goal and have moved to Phase 4, I will use the EAS and Pure Protein products exclusively -- simply because I like the idea of a protein snack but still want to be cost conscious.

I'm just over a third of the way to my goal. I have a lot more to lose. So do I lump it, pay the cost, and just be happy with the new me? Or do I break it to them that I'd rather have AES for breakfast? What would you all do?
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #57  
Dave - The Speedo King

Unhappy

Quote:
So I talked to my coach this morning, and she COMPLETELY DODGED THE QUESTION! I had my cheat last Friday, but am back in ketosis, and still dropped 4 lbs. this week. I brought up cost, but didn't list the alternatives I would/have been using -- like the AES shakes. I simply mentioned that cost would be a concern for the next 30-60 days, and that I'd seen I could substitute egg whites for the packets. She said it was the first time anyone had ever raised concern over the cost -- and that she'd check with the doctor and let me know. That wasn't what I was expecting at all!

She mentioned again that her husband is doing IP, and that he started with the egg white substitution and eventually wandered off the plan entirely. I don't know if that was her attempt to keep me on the program and buying food, but it wasn't exactly the empathy I was looking for.

At the end of the session, I ended up buying my 3 boxes. Oh, and on a related topic: My coach says they're reformulating the UHT vanilla & chocolate drinks (b/c of FDA issues), so they're currently unavailable. Anyone else running into this?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #58  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
So I talked to my coach this morning, and she COMPLETELY DODGED THE QUESTION! I had my cheat last Friday, but am back in ketosis, and still dropped 4 lbs. this week. I brought up cost, but didn't list the alternatives I would/have been using -- like the AES shakes. I simply mentioned that cost would be a concern for the next 30-60 days, and that I'd seen I could substitute egg whites for the packets. She said it was the first time anyone had ever raised concern over the cost -- and that she'd check with the doctor and let me know. That wasn't what I was expecting at all!

She mentioned again that her husband is doing IP, and that he started with the egg white substitution and eventually wandered off the plan entirely. I don't know if that was her attempt to keep me on the program and buying food, but it wasn't exactly the empathy I was looking for.

At the end of the session, I ended up buying my 3 boxes. Oh, and on a related topic: My coach says they're reformulating the UHT vanilla & chocolate drinks (b/c of FDA issues), so they're currently unavailable. Anyone else running into this?
Dave, I have heard several different reactions from coaches...some are very understanding and their goal is to help you acheive your goal however is best for you. I have also had a friend who's coach ended her diet and stated point blank "you follow the program or your off..that is what Ideal Protein says" I was surprised by that, but when I asked my coach about it she verified that is Ideal Protein's Corperate policy. She also explained that each clinic is owned independently and that the coach can decide how they want to precede with their dieter. Hope that helps!!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #59  
ReStarted IP 6/4/2012

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
All of this is really, really helpful. I wasn't aware of either of the sites. Many places, i. e., netrition and Walden Farms won't ship to Hawai'i, or the method they use costs more than the product. But I will check these and hope for the best. I really appreciate the information.
Just a thought, but do you have a friend or family member in the contiguous states that might be able to recieve items for you and then send them to you? You could have them sent flat rate postal from your friend, and it would be the cost of shipping to them the 5-10 dollars more to ship to you.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #60  

Quote:

Yes. My coach informed me he has been told he will not be able to get the vanilla or chocolate UHT/ready drinks for awhile. Again, related to inspections.. maybe reformulations. Also, strawberry pudding is an issue.

I am not surprised about the reaction. There goal is for you to use the whole program. They don't make money off of office visits or consult fees, the money is in the food purchase. So, if you substitute, it does cost them revenue. Also, like the quote below, I have been told "if you don't do the program the way it is written, we are supposed to kick you off the plan. It is a corporate requirement." Apparently, even though these are independent clinics, if they don't run them according to "the book", they can be stripped of the right to run provide the food. The diet is a medical treatment protocol. Everyone wants to look at this as just a "diet" but it isn't. There are strict guidelines to taking people in and they consider level of commitment, health, and more. If that changes, someone stops following protocol, develops health issues not compatible with the plan the clinic is supposed to remove the dieter from the plan FOR THE DIETER'S well being. This diet is strict, can be at near starvation levels, and uses a lot of supplements which, used improperly, have risks. For someone to do this half way or wrong, could create a health hazard and is not something Ideal Protein promotes. Or, so I have been told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSweet View Post
Dave, I have heard several different reactions from coaches...some are very understanding and their goal is to help you acheive your goal however is best for you. I have also had a friend who's coach ended her diet and stated point blank "you follow the program or your off..that is what Ideal Protein says" I was surprised by that, but when I asked my coach about it she verified that is Ideal Protein's Corperate policy. She also explained that each clinic is owned independently and that the coach can decide how they want to precede with their dieter. Hope that helps!!

Yes, I got this information from my coach and from the regional director too. They can lose the right to sell the product and provide services if they don't follow protocols.
Closed Thread