General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 184/146/130

Height: 5'1"

I am still reading the book in between a very busy schedule, not dieting right now, trying to eat only when hungry but finding it difficult. Years of dieting is hard to erase. When I let myself eat food I want it just leads to me wanting more and craving more. Trying to really think of eating as healthy fuel for my body but so hard. I baked for the first time today, banana chocolate chip bread......yep still not good for me to be around. I allowed myself some today and still wanting more. Worst thing is I work at a weight loss clinic and after my coaching days, I feel like I should get back to the diet. I hate feeling the few lbs I have put on but trying to let that go....... I have been working out everyday, because I feel better doing it, I plan on hopefully doing that 6 days a week or 5 maybe.

Good for those of you succeeding at IE, I hope I will get there!
kellycg102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
hello everyone, I read IE and the overfed head and i'm trying really hard to get in sync with it all. I've been going to the MRC center since june 22n'd 2012 and I lost 34 lbs and 29 1/2 inches. Went into maintenance jan 4th 2013 and after two months my cravings came back I gained back 10lbs thankfully I've been able to keep it only at 10lbs gained, I do really good during the day but nights are my problems. I've gained back about 4-5 inches mostly around my midsection, the belly fat is what they call it at MRC. I really want to do the IE way of eating but I'm wanting to know if anyone doesn't eat breakfast? We have always been told that you must eat breakfast to jumpstart your metabolism. Well I'm 57 yrs young and I don't require a lot of food like I did when I was much younger. I'm not hungry in the mornings but i'm having a hard time getting past not eating three meals a day. So starting tomorrow i'm going to not eat until my belly growls so I can actually feel what its' like to be hungry. I would love to lose the ten lbs I gained and lose the fat around my midsection.

Spryng you are doing awesome!!! And I agree it's quiet on here but let's keep up with the posts. I'm in Indiana so we might be on a time difference. Thanks for your input.
I know exactly how you feel! once you are in maintenance the thought of having to continue that very strict or restricted diet is cumbersome and overwhelming, it works for losing the weight but FOREVER? that was always my thoughts too so of course as soon as you try to eat "normally" the weight packs back on. I love with IE if you are not hungry don't eat, right? that includes breakfast, so if you are not hungry in the morning, throw out that "diet mentality of YOU HAVE TO START YOUR DAY WITH BREAKFAST" and just listen to your body. I was in the habit of eating something within 10 minutes of waking up, my body was no where ready to eat yet but I thought I needed to "start my metabolism" so I ate. Now I just wait for my body to tell me, so instead of eating at 6:30 I have been eating around 8am or even later somedays.. I just wait and wait for my stomach to turn on and grumble lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellycg102 View Post
I am still reading the book in between a very busy schedule, not dieting right now, trying to eat only when hungry but finding it difficult. Years of dieting is hard to erase. When I let myself eat food I want it just leads to me wanting more and craving more. Trying to really think of eating as healthy fuel for my body but so hard. I baked for the first time today, banana chocolate chip bread......yep still not good for me to be around. I allowed myself some today and still wanting more. Worst thing is I work at a weight loss clinic and after my coaching days, I feel like I should get back to the diet. I hate feeling the few lbs I have put on but trying to let that go....... I have been working out everyday, because I feel better doing it, I plan on hopefully doing that 6 days a week or 5 maybe.

Good for those of you succeeding at IE, I hope I will get there!
Years of dieting IS hard to erase! I have to remind myself of that constantly! am I choosing that frozen meal because I LOVE the taste/flavor etc or because I know it's low in calories etc.. did I just choose that apple because I was craving a cool crisp apple or because it's low in calories when I really want some chocolate.. I'm constantly trying to "check" myself so I can stop the dieting mentality too. For me it's 15 years of habits and for some it's 40+ years or more, so it's TOUGH. You are in a very unique situation, working at a weight loss clinic and trying to do the IE way of life, you probably see people really suceeding on the plans your clinic offers and think "I should just get back on that" so I bet you struggle all the time. Hang in there though, I think if we can keep at this IE we are gonna be so happy in the end. No restrictions, no guilt, eat when hungry even if all we want for dinner is that delicious banana chocolate chip bread, that is ok! have it! I think I'm gonna pick up the book, How to have your cake and skinny jeans too, I heard it's really good on the IE way of life. Anything to help keep it at the forefront for me seems to be working.
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 180/177/155

Height: 5'9"

Back online.... I've been waaay too busy for the past several days. Thought I was doing pretty well with eating but then had a hard day yesterday (which also reminded me that I need to check in here daily)

I wasn't feeling hungry yesterday, and ended up snacking a lot rather than eating any full meals. But then I went to my book club meeting in the evening where there was a LOT of food and wine and overdid it. Fell right back into my old habit of going back for seconds (and thirds). Ended up feeling stuffed, slept badly, and still feel bloated today

The good news is that I've been able to call a halt to the negative thinking that started, the self-defeating messages like "I'm so bad for eating too much" "I have not willpower at all" and instead look at this as a learning experience and get right back to honoring my hunger signals and treating myself well.

Last edited by bookwoman; 06-27-2013 at 02:07 PM.
bookwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #124  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwoman View Post
Back online.... I've been waaay too busy for the past several days. Thought I was doing pretty well with eating but then had a hard day yesterday (which also reminded me that I need to check in here daily)

I wasn't feeling hungry yesterday, and ended up snacking a lot rather than eating any full meals. But then I went to my book club meeting in the evening where there was a LOT of food and wine and overdid it. Fell right back into my old habit of going back for seconds (and thirds). Ended up feeling stuffed, slept badly, and still feel bloated today

The good news is that I've been able to call a halt to the negative thinking that started, the self-defeating messages like "I'm so bad for eating too much" "I have not willpower at all" and instead look at this as a learning experience and get right back to honoring my hunger signals and treating myself well.
I love your attitude about it! You also did not berate yourself to where you just said "screw it" and go on a feeding frenzy for several days or weeks like maybe we did in the past, everyday we are re-learning, you are doing so great!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #125  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

spryng: I love the Have your Cake and Skinny jeans too book, it's awesome, she's got another book coming out soon, i'm waiting to read it. Right now i'm reading Ditching Diets by Gillian Riley, How to lose weight in a way you can maintain. She also wrote "Eating less: Say goodbye to overeating"
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #126  

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
spryng: I love the Have your Cake and Skinny jeans too book, it's awesome, she's got another book coming out soon, i'm waiting to read it. Right now i'm reading Ditching Diets by Gillian Riley, How to lose weight in a way you can maintain. She also wrote "Eating less: Say goodbye to overeating"
Good to know! I'm gonna download it today on my Nook

well last night I ate until stuffed for the first time in like 3-4 weeks.. I felt horrible. My DH made my favorite home made pasta.. chicken and veggies in a cream sauce, all home made, it's soooooo good. After one bowl I was full but it tasted so good that I went for seconds... I knew even putting it in the bowl I was full and I needed to stop but I just wouldn't... I ate half of the second bowl and I was stuffed, like miserable, stomach bloated and hurt stuffed! I felt so bad afterwards but it was soooo darn good! I even went for a walk to try and help my poor body digest etc and even at 11 pm last night I was still miserably stuffed, it just wasn't going anywhere fast. Lesson learned, I HATE feeling that way, it physically hurts and is uncomfortable to be that full! Never again..

so I know I've asked this before, at least like 2-3 times now but how do you incorporate alcohol into this way of eating?? since it contains calories do you only drink if you are hungry? only with a meal maybe??? I love a glass or two of wine each week and I'm not sure how to enjoy that! please please someone let me know how you work it in. The IE book NEVER talked about it so I have no idea.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 180/177/155

Height: 5'9"

Regarding breakfast - I've been struggling with this too. When I don't eat first thing in the morning (because I'm NOT HUNGRY) I feel like I'm disobeying every teacher, parent, and doctor that I've ever known. Like I'm one of those bad kids who smokes behind the school and reads comic books and doesn't eat breakfast. Sure to come to a bad end and contribute to the downfall of civilization.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it's amazing how ingrained all these rules are.

I have an interesting weekend coming up, I'll have two of my nephews visiting, ages 19 and 6. The 19 year old eats like a vacuum cleaner, and the 6 year old just wants play food. I'm planning meals around things like spaghetti casserole that will be fun and easy for us all to have just as much or little as we want.
bookwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #128  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwoman View Post
Regarding breakfast - I've been struggling with this too. When I don't eat first thing in the morning (because I'm NOT HUNGRY) I feel like I'm disobeying every teacher, parent, and doctor that I've ever known. Like I'm one of those bad kids who smokes behind the school and reads comic books and doesn't eat breakfast. Sure to come to a bad end and contribute to the downfall of civilization.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it's amazing how ingrained all these rules are.

I have an interesting weekend coming up, I'll have two of my nephews visiting, ages 19 and 6. The 19 year old eats like a vacuum cleaner, and the 6 year old just wants play food. I'm planning meals around things like spaghetti casserole that will be fun and easy for us all to have just as much or little as we want.
That was too funny! Like I'm one of those bad kids who smokes behind the school and reads comic books and doesn't eat breakfast but so true! lol spaghetti casserole sounds amazing, spaghetti is one of my favorite meals, can you share the recipe please? Your 19 year old nephew reminded me of the thread to not eat like a man, lol We are tiny sport cars and they are big mack trucks, lol we can't eat like them, darn it lol
Old 06-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #129  
Sherry, Senior Member

Well today I didn't eat anything until 1:55 pm, I didn't get the growling belly but I could tell I was starting to feel hungry, hope this isn't bad. I did have a starbucks decaf grande skinny mocha, has 15gms protein and little fat. So maybe that's why my belly didn't growl. As far as drinking alcohol i'm not sure how that would incorporate in a meal. I drink tons of water all day and it keeps me full too. I on occasion have a peach daqiari. I wish I could get rid of the fat around my mid-section I feel so bloated all the time.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 150/136/120

Height: 5'5"

Gosh darnit!! My library system has ONE copy of the book and it's currently being inter-library loaned

I downloaded a sample of the ebook version and really like it but would much rather borrow than buy it.
JoJoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

I've done better this week. Even last night, my guy took me out to dinner and I got an AMAZING seafood dish (amazing being tons of fresh seafood, a light sauce, and veggies on the side). Even after 2 glasses of wine (a rarity!), I still had enough wits about me to recognize when I was satisfied (NOT full), and take the rest home.
(I may have stopped for frozen yogurt on the way home...but since I do not have it often, and I have done well the rest of the week, I am not focusing on giving into that craving!).

I'm having a hard time with breakfast. I LOVE breakfast, and I normally am hungry within an hour or two of waking up. However, I wake up so early for my job that I am not always hungry at 5:30am. If I don't eat it then, my only options for breakfast are 1) wait for a break and go buy it (which, while I have a nutritious option, is outside of my budget), and 2) bring something that will not spoil while it sits in my bag (we have no fridge/microwave options at my work). Plus, by the time I am hungry, it hits me HARD so a few hard boiled eggs won't do!

One of the habits I am trying hard to break is not being so afraid of being a little hungry. I used to eat before leaving the house all the time, not out of hunger at the moment but because I didn't want to be in a situation where I either had to buy food or had to stay hungry. I've definitely made progress, so I hope I am not reinforcing my old habit with this breakfast thing!

What is your opinion: if I know I am normally hungry within an hour or two anyways, is it really a big deal to eat before I am actually hungry?
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #132  

I'm hungry pretty soon after I wake up in fact that's what sometimes gets me up around 7am. I'd say go ahead and eat.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #133  
Sherry, Senior Member

Default A great Day

Okay so I posted below that today I didn't eat until 1:55 p.m. because I simply wasn't hungry. Now I did have my starbucks decaf skinny mocha so maybe that helped not being hungry. So at 1:55 p.m. I had a subway chicken teriakyi sweet onion chicken salad with a few Keebler crackers and I did eat all of it but I was satisfied not overfed. I got off work at 5:00 got home around 5:30-5:40 and I had put a sirloin tip roast in my crock pot for the day. I wasn't hungry just yet so I did some things around the house, load of laundry and then around 6:30 or so I had a little growl so I fixed dinner and guess what? I actually for the first time ever left some food on my plate because I was satisfied. YAHOOO!!! I feel great and it's 9:00 p.m and I have no cravings what so ever, usually by now i'm snacking on whatever I can find. This is amazing. One day at a time!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #134  

How is everyone doing this weekend? Im almost finished withe Have your cake and skinny jeans too, wow, I wish I would have read it before the official IE book because this book is so much better! I really like how she describes true hunger vs psuedohunger, Im definitely learnkng alot.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #135  
Sherry, Senior Member

Hello, had a good weekend, had a family reunion and unfortunately I overate!! But it's a new day and I didn't beat myself up. I had a good time and enjoyed meeting a lot of my husbands family. I'm slowly getting use to the IE way but I know there will be bumps along the way and that's okay because it is my choice.

Spryng: I agree I wish I would have read Have your Cake and Skinny jeans before IE it makes more sense. I'm reading Ditching Diets and its really good.