General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 272/226/160

Height: 5'4''

day 10 of juicing for me and im 20 lbs down! i never felt better and i cant wait to go on for the full month!
omgsasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #47  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427pounder View Post
To those that just don't want to juice or just don't like it, that's not what I'm looking for. I want hardcore data as to why or why I should or shouldn't do it. Thanks in advance.
I don't understand the question. What "hardcore data" are you looking for? If calories are restricted, you will lose fat.

Are you looking for data that debunks the idea that one is "detoxing" their body? A simple google search will give you that data.

The one thing that you should be aware of is lack of protein when juicing. Lack of protein in a caloric deficit will actually cause muscle loss but over the course of 10 days this really won't be an issue.

"Hardcore data" doesn't really help one decide whether or not juicing is a good idea but I've made my personal opinion known on this topic twice in this thread so no need to beat a dead horse.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #48  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

So, I've always tossed handfuls of greens and fresh fruit in smoothies that are yogurt based. Typically, they include a greek yogurt, flaxseed, fish oil, 2 c spinach, 1 c kale, 1 c strawberries, 1 c mango, love this, kids love this, male type loves this. No issues.

I've bought a juicer this weekend. So far we love it. And I must be the lone ranger, but I toss about 90% of the pulp back in it. I love pulp, the only time store bought juice is brought into the house is when it's 100% juice and high in pulp. Just made sense to start making it at home. Personally, I don't see an issue with juicing. For me, I have a serious gluten intolerance and my 9 yo daughter has full blown celiac's. Blood test confirmed. We've both been hospitalized for this, it's not a craze for us. The best way to clear our systems of gluten lining the ruggae in the intestines is to restrict solids and flood our systems with soft foods and healthy, beneficial oils. If you've never experienced this, the whole argument that all we need to do is, 'learn to eat less and move more', is ridiculous. I'm aware of what I need to do, I'm also aware of what my body absolutely can't tolerate. Being hospitalized while you're being treated for malnutrition and dehydration and you weigh in at 200+ pounds is hilarious. /sarcasm

I personally feel that if this is a way for people to get the fruits and vegetables they'd avoid otherwise, more power to them. If they'll toss some of the pulp back in, even more power to them.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 427/412/240

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I don't understand the question. What "hardcore data" are you looking for? If calories are restricted, you will lose fat.

Are you looking for data that debunks the idea that one is "detoxing" their body? A simple google search will give you that data.

The one thing that you should be aware of is lack of protein when juicing. Lack of protein in a caloric deficit will actually cause muscle loss but over the course of 10 days this really won't be an issue.

"Hardcore data" doesn't really help one decide whether or not juicing is a good idea but I've made my personal opinion known on this topic twice in this thread so no need to beat a dead horse.
I'm looking for data that says "it will cause xyz issue" or "xyz benefit". I know people lose weight from it.

What do you mean by lack of protein? There are plenty of veggies that have protein. Do you happen to know how much protein the body needs? I'm gonna check after I finish typing this.

Quote:
Lack of protein in a caloric deficit will actually cause muscle loss but over the course of 10 days this really won't be an issue.
Thanks for the info. That's the kinda of info I was looking for. That's exactly what I meant about hardcore data. And just so you know, I originally posted this as its own thread, but it was moved into this one by a moderator. I didn't ask it again in the same thread.

Last edited by 427pounder; 02-25-2013 at 07:08 PM.
427pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #50  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I'm looking for data that says "it will cause xyz issue" or "xyz benefit". I know people lose weight from it.

What do you mean by lack of protein? There are plenty of veggies that have protein. Do you happen to know how much protein the body needs? I'm gonna check after I finish typing this.
Generally, juicing 'plans' focus a lot of fruit. The Fat, sick & nearly dead plan focuses on juicing because it is designed to give you all the nutrients you need. You should get plenty of protein but there might be certain amino acids you'd be lacking. I know the plan was designed by a doctor and designed to be used short term (as opposed to Joe who did it for longer and was monitored by a doctor the entire time).

Personally, I'm not a big fan of juicing for an extended period of time but the plan laid out by Fat, Sick & nearly dead doesn't seem like a bad one and you aren't doing it for a long time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #51  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Sorry a better choice of words would have been lack of adequate protein. How much protein the body needs varies quite a bit depending on the context but in a caloric deficit the need for protein to maintain LBM go up. (When you're maintaining your weight and in energy balance you need far less.)

Who much depends on who you ask but if you don't want to lose muscle the general guideline is about .75 - 1g of protein per lb of LBM for a weight lifting male. So in your case that would mean somewhere between 150-175g of protein per day. Not easy to get from vegtables (unless you're planning to juice soy).

However, in your case, 10 days is probably nothing to be worried about.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Some of the bonus weight you lose by juicing is simply emptying your intestines of food. When you eat solids again (and you most likely will), you'll quickly regain that--like, maybe 5 pounds overnight. That can be a little disheartening.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 427/412/240

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Sorry a better choice of words would have been lack of adequate protein. How much protein the body needs varies quite a bit depending on the context but in a caloric deficit the need for protein to maintain LBM go up. (When you're maintaining your weight and in energy balance you need far less.)

Who much depends on who you ask but if you don't want to lose muscle the general guideline is about .75 - 1g of protein per lb of LBM for a weight lifting male. So in your case that would mean somewhere between 150-175g of protein per day. Not easy to get from vegtables (unless you're planning to juice soy).

However, in your case, 10 days is probably nothing to be worried about.
Thanks for the info. Just found out that walmart sells protein drinks in the milk isle. I might look into those in the future.
427pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #54  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I think one of the things that gets lost about Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is the talk about the nutrients in fruits and vegetables, however you can get more into your diet is beneficial, as long as you don't go overboard on the sugar.

I thought this thread looked familiar and yet not familiar, glad I saw that post about a couple threads being mushed together

I love juice/juicing, but can't imagine doing it for 5 or 10 or 30 days, I've been throwing in a day or two of juicing during the week, 3 at the most, but not in a row.

I read some articles that interested me about non-consecutive fasting after hearing about intermittent fasting and wondering what it was. Instead of a regular fast, I've been doing a juice "fast" I don't let myself get hungry, I think changing things up once in awhile is good, just like exercise, changing frequency, intensity, time and type, I think I posted this exact same thought somewhere else, I'm having deja vu...but hey I guess I believe it...

After many years and many "diets" I take a little from different ones and do what works best for me, you have to find out what works for you, sometimes that means trying something and if it doesn't work trying something else.

best to all
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Well, the DVD introduced me to juicing and I bought one afterwards. I mainly use it to get my vegetables. I like it a lot. I couldn't fast, though. It's not for me.
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #56  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I'm back on the green monster smoothie for breakfast, felt like I needed some more nutrients, baby spinach, almond milk, banana, wheat germ and dry roasted peanuts (no sugar added~suprisingly harder to find than you'd think).

best to all
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #57  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

I have been juicing for the past 27 days, going to go 30 and then moving back into eating healthier. For the most part it has been great! I tried to do this last year for 10 days and only made it 7 because the whole thing was miserable. It is so much better this time around. I'm down 16 pounds, and according to my scale that gives body fat% (which I know may not be entirely accurate) says that my LBM is down 4.5 pounds. In part I did it for the 'reboot' aspect and that has been great. I feel confident that I will make better choices once this is all over. I am also really proud of myself for sticking with the decision. I've had a hard time following through on commitments and this has done wonders for my mindset. It's definitely not for everyone though
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 135/135/120

Height: 5'6''

I just decided to take a similar leap and start making smoothies for two meals a day which include almond or coconut milk, almond nut butter, some leafy greens and fruit. Depending on how I feel, I will have smoothies for all three meals. I have about 15 lbs I'd like to lose. I had shoulder surgery a year ago and I have multiple sprains and strains DAILY due to a connective tissue disease I have (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) which makes it difficult for me to be active. I had always been an in shape and relatively thin person until this past year and I'm very depressed about it. I'm also a wife and mother of two kids so I hope I can stick through this while making meals for them! For those that are juicing or drinking smoothies, how many do you have a day and what ingredients do you use?

Thanks
smoothienewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #59  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

I have been having around 72 ounces most days of pure juice/smoothies. I do a pint of straight fruit juice, mostly cantaloupe, pineapple, and citrus. Then I do about 20 ounces of carrot, cabbage, apple, celery, and greens, sometimes I add beet but not very often. My last juice has been a savory one, tomato, cabbage, greens, celery, carrots, also about 20 ounces. If I feel like I need more I have been having Naked smoothies as sort of a treat.

Good luck! I find it easy to cook and be around, but I know that I'm just not eating so that helps a lot.
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 253/234/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Just watched" Fat, sick and nearly dead "on netflix

Wow! I really need to change my eating / exercise habits ( and i have been )-- Now is the time but I'm not sure I can drink the green juice drink the guys in the movie live on for periods of time. Guess I could try it ---
kmruby1 is offline   Reply With Quote