General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/175(first goal)

Height: 5'3"

Default Fat Sick and Nearly Dead - Juicing!

If this has been posted somewhere else recently I apologize. But I just watched this documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. This australian who is overweight and sick decides to come to the US for 60 days and have nothing but juice - vegetables, fruits, etc. He inspired others to do 10-day juicing "jump starts" while he was here. He also lost 50+ lbs in those 2 months. Has anyone else seen this documentary or want to do juicing?
I was hoping to find some motivation here once I actually start on it. I know the first few days can be difficult since your body is essentially detoxing but after that you get a lot of energy.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #2  

Hi there - I watched the documentary about a month ago as well.

Overall it looks like they were healthy and careful and raised a lot of good points. And the two main featured men definitely benefited from it. I had some problems with the intensity of the documentary but I do realize that it was a life changer and lifesaver for some people.

I know for me it wouldn't be something I would enjoy or stick to. I have done better with learning more about my calorie needs for the days.

Anyway, although I won't join you on this challenge I do look forward to hearing how it goes for you and I hope you get others to do it with you. I can't remember if he did a book or web site for people to follow and make sure they are going about it healthy. It might be a great jump start for some people trying to lose weight.
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/160/130

Height: 5' 6"

Living on a diet of nothing but fruit and vegetable juices sounds like a godawful and miserable time to me... not to mention it reminds me of the plethora of other "lose fat quick by going to ridiculous extremes" diets that rarely work in the long run.

Hey, different strokes, I guess. It obviously worked for some people. If you're fine with the idea of drinking the same kind of "meal" every day, by all means give it a try. I'm just a natural skeptic.
joltyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

I'm not a fan of juicing because it can create glucose spikes, and deprives onesself of valueable fiber. It's much better to eat the whole fruit or vegetable.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

If you follow the plan laid out on the Reboot website it's actually a healthy plan with several alternatives including full and partial juice fasts. There were some people following this in one of the other areas, Maybe a search will help There's also a Fuhrman thread in the vegetarian forum. He is the doctor that supervised the people in the movie. Good luck!

ETA: here's one in the 100 lb forum: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...cumentary.html

and in 20s: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-s...-tomorrow.html

as Suzanne noted in another forum, it's important to be monitored by your physician

Last edited by CyndiM; 11-13-2011 at 09:15 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #6  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

hi there. Im actually starting a full 40 day juice fast tommorow. Im doing it cause my body is really sick and in need of serious cleansing and im hoping that by doing this, it will help me with my wheat and gluten intolerance issue and i will lose weight and improve my health..good luck!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I'd think that a juice fast would be even less suitable for someone who is really sick.

"Detox" is a term that's thrown around a lot, and when it comes to complementary therapies and diets is usually linked to some sort of scam. Real detox is things like coming off alcohol or drugs, delirium tremens and the like.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #8  

Your body requires protein and juicing will not do it. This is a way to be very unhealthy in a short time.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/145/130

Height: 5'5

Hi there -

I spent a long time working at a raw food restaurant and have come in contact with multiple people who have tried juice fasts, etc. My worry is that someone doing a long-term juice fast is going to cheat, then feel like a failure. And also, eating whole foods after a fast is very difficult on your body.

I highly suggest doing a raw food detox over a juice fast. In my experience, that has been the most successful.
AtLeastMyToesAreThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #10  

Default Juicing/weight gain

I saw this documentary just a few days ago, but have been looking to do a juice detox for a while, i just didnt know how, or how often I was supposed to be drinking the juices, recipes etc. In the past I have been on liquid diets(not for dieting purposes) and I lost weight on it, but then gained it back before i was even done with the fast. This kind of worries me for doing the juicing. I have PCOS does that make a difference? Will i end up gaining while juicing???
Selah05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I have PCOS. I have juices once in a while as a complement -- bung it all in the vitamix and I'm not straining or losing fiber.

But I don't see that as a "all my meals thing" -- a lot of juice can mess with stable blood sugar. Even if it DOES have the fiber in there.

I see it more like a treat in my plan.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/183/140

Height: 5'3

Default juicing

I did a 40 day juice fast myself, lost 25 pounds and led me to become a vegetarian. It was a complete game changer for me!!!! It taught me how to cope with my food addiction, it pushed me and I pulled through, now juicing is a part of my daily life and I touched off a mini revolution at my office. Its a fantastic way to incorporate vutal nutrition in your daily life.
yams1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 175/165/145

Height: 5' 11"

yams: wow I am impressed. I watched the movie yesterday and want to start. I came here to find motivation or a group that is starting...
Igb2htalmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #14  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I couldn't do juice alone, but I have been juicing for breakfast or dinner several nights a week, and I love it. It's pretty much the only way I can stand to get veggies (yea, it's not the ideal way, but it's better than nothing, which is what I generally get without juicing them). And the juice gives me a TON of energy. I was drinking a triple-shot latte every morning to feel alive, and the juice gives me the same effect if not more.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

I am planning on buying a juicer when I get paid in a couple weeks and incorporating more vegetable juices into my daily diet. I would be interested in doing a 7-12 day juice fast but I am not sure about the effect something like that would have on the body more long term. I know when coming off a juice fast you have to do it right and very carefully.

I have been vegetarian in the past and found it very difficult to do in a healthful way since I am not a big vegetable eater. I find it difficult to include veggies and when I try I tend to skip over them and opt for other things. I really feel that juicing my be the best option for me to get all the goodness and be able to mask tastes and textures in juices.

I am really looking forward to start juicing and can't wait until I can order my juicer!
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote