General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

Default Does anyone not "LOOK" their weight?

I don't know about any of you but I get told all the time that people don't believe that I weigh as much as I do, and people tend to think I wear a smaller size than I do also. I know it's a great compliment but it also gives me a false sense about my weight. For so long I thought "maybe I don't look so bad" but with that thought came more weight. I weigh 232lbs the last time I was at the Dr. and even my Dr. looked at me and said she thought I was more like 189lbs. She even did a bunch of tests on me to see if there was some reason why I was carring my weight so evenly. But nothing showed up! Does anyone else get the same reaction from people? I am not initially worried about what I weigh but more about what size I wear. I know that when I get down to a size 14 I feel great and look great, but at a size 14 I weighed 180 lbs. I think it's more important to feel good about how you look than worrying about who much you weigh (except if it is a health issue)!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I get the same thing... My doctor makes me step on the scale several times before he'll believe the weight usually... I think we're just blessed with carrying our weight evenly and I won't complain. I know I have a lot of muscle mass under all this padding that probably weighs a bit too... Although, when I lose I look WORSE for a while because my top half thins out way faster than my bottom half and I look disproportionate for a while .
Old 06-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have been told my whole life I don't look my weight, I know now everyone was trying to be nice. I see pictures of people on the boards that weigh the same as I do or did and they look the same as me - either that or A LOT of people carry their weight well. I weigh 190 now and when I look in the mirror I see 190 for the first time in my life and I like it. When I looked in the mirror at 190 before I saw 150.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

It's funny because at the weight I am now people always say "You don't weight that much" Umm, yes I do. But, when I weighed 135 I was told you're fat, overweight, etc. Ummm what?! But yeah...when I wasn't fat, I was called fat and now that I am they say I am not fat...are you fricking blind! LOL But I do think it is in the way you carry it and I don't care what anyone says, I know I am overweight and need to lose so...no I don't get a false sense about my weight. I think a person can look good no matter what weight they are but it is a health issue for sure and being too overweight is not healthy.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Carmen Manheim's biography, "Wake up, I'm Fat," (Great book, by the way) talks about how most people underestimate others weights. Like a casting director turning her down for at part because she was too thin, he wanted a "really fat actress, like over 200 lbs" (she weight like 30 to 50 lbs more than that at the time).

I remember when I first hit 300 lbs, so many friends and family wouldn't believe it, because they thought of a person over 300 lbs as someone who couldn't get out of bed or walk or anything. I was even accused of making it up by one person (like who would make that up?).
Old 06-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Yep! I'm about 5'8 tall and when I weighed 185 lbs no one would ever have guessed because of my height and shape. I'm small chested and have a slim waist but my weight sits in my butt and thighs. If my upper body was in proportion to my lower body I probably would have looked heavier.

Even my doctor was surprised when she weighed me. I've been maintaining my weight at 165 for the last year but want to lose that last darned 10 lbs to hit my WW goal.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

When I told everyone I started at a tight size 26, they were like "NO WAY were you that big!!" So I guess I carried my weight well then, and my uncle said I looked like I was 160 when I weighed 190 when I saw him. I'm like the rest of you girls, I carry my weight VERY evenly. Everything gets big all at the same time, and everything is shrinking all at the same time.

But I think I look what I weigh now, because everyone asks what I weigh when I see them (does anyone else get that? like it's okay to ask someone on a diet how much they weigh? but I tell them because I don't mind) and no one has said, "You don't look like you weigh that much!" And everyone I know knows what I weigh, so I must look it now.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 AM   #8  

When I go to the doctor they always set the scale at 150 and try to slide the weight up from there. Unfortunatly, they end up going to the 200 shortly!~
Old 06-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #9  
Addicted to potato salad!

Hi Thin!! Well, I've been "stuck at a plateau" for about a year and a half...I really have just come to a place in losing that I need to incorporate some more intense exercise. But when I see people I haven't seen in about a year, they say, "Wow...you've lost a TON of weight!" And I'm like, "No...not even one pound...but thanks..." I can only figure it's because they know I've been frustrated trying to lose and are just trying to make me feel better or...who knows...maybe things are shifting around or something, but I can definitely tell you that I haven't lost one friggen pound in well over a year.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #10  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Most people tell me I don't look like I weigh just over 160lbs. They also don't believe that I am still a size 14 bottom (size 10/12 US). Mind you, it was the same thing when I was bigger, because when I would talk about not being able to buy clothes, people would say "Sure you can. They go up to a 24!" (20/22 US?) I couldn't even fit into the 32s in the larger size clothes stores! People really didn't have a clear picture of the size I was.

Zelma
Old 06-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

WOW it's funny, when I started this thread yesterday I thought that it might just be me and no one would post. But I am glad to see that I am not the only one. Not that I wish weight or weight issues on any of you but I think like most of us that we think no one understands some of the petty stuff that hurts us being overweight. I have been working hard now for two weeks trying to keep myself motivated to eat right (I haven't got to the exercize part yet) but I already do feel better knowing that I am at least trying and not just thinking about it!

Oh and the clothes thing, I have recently discovered that some of the new materinty clothes fit better than what is out for my size and they are pretty stylish. And they don't make that big panel in the front anymore so none knows that you are wearing maternity clothes. Why is it that plus size clothes have to come in such ugly patterns and the most unflatering shapes? I want to look sexy and attractive too!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #12  
Collie Mommie

When I weighed over 200 and I went to the doctor's office, the nurse would always start the scale at 150, move it to 160, and then inch it along really slowly. My weight is extremely evenly distributed and I have fairly broad shoulders, along with a larger frame. Even now, at 175, I wear a size 12, and a medium in stretchy clothes. My sister has a totally different body shape, with a lot of belly/body fat, but I would venture to guess she doesn't realkly weigh much more than I do, and she takes a size 16 at best.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #13  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

people look at my weird like Im lying when I tell them my weight, I say 119lbs and they look at my like sure, more like 130
Old 06-16-2006, 01:36 PM   #14  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

Shoot - I can't even eyeball 4 ozs of chicken, much less try to guess someone's weight!

LOL
Old 06-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/191/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskitty
Shoot - I can't even eyeball 4 ozs of chicken, much less try to guess someone's weight!

LOL
Me too! lol
Closed Thread