General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Default Do you avoid hugs?

I find that I avoid hugging people because of my weight. Do you find that you are also avoiding hugs?
TexasNonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #2  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Its like this thread was created for me. I've been a hug avoider (except for my son who I hug constantly) since I was a teenager. I have this fear that people will feel my back fat when they hug me.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #3  
fatty

S/C/G: 272/202.8/119

Height: 5'7

sometimes. i actually believe that im bigger than I really am and i fear people wont be able to get their arms around me which is never the case. im my own own worst critic.
destyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Oh, my gosh yes I was!

Well, first I was raised in a "don't touch" household, but I got better about realizing hugs are healthy, but then I didn't want anyone to feel my fat!

Now that I don't have back fat and my ribs are basically what you feel, I don't have a problem with it like I used to.

Look at all the things we had (or have) hang ups about because of our insecurities caused by being overweight!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

I don't mind standing up hugs, but I won't let my boyfriend touch my tummy when spooning in bed. (Unless I'm sucking it in!)
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #6  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

I grew up in a huggy household and I have huggy friends. So, we all hug, regardless of size.
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

It depends. I'll hug my family and only my closest of friends but it has nothing to do with my weight. I'm only touchy feely with people I really love. I don't touch other people and I don't want them to touch me.

Last edited by Daki; 03-15-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daki View Post
It depends. I'll hug my family and only my closest of friends but it has nothing to do with my weight. I'm only touchy feely with people I really love. I don't touch other people and I don't want them to touch me. I just don't like being touched unless I'm close with the person.
^^^This.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #9  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I have never really been a huggy person outside of my family and boyfriend... I have some really huggy friends that drive me crazy though. I have never really thought about the relation between not liking hugs and my size, but it could be a factor.... More often than not I find hugging to be awkward!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/260s/120

Height: 5'1"

I've never been a very huggy person but I never thought it was because of my weight. I feel hugs are very intimate and I'm not able to hug anyone unless they are very close to me, even if they are a relative. I will never back away from a hug but I usually don't initiate it, either.
LadyPetite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I like hugging, unless the other person is one of those people that creeps me out and makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Then, I'm gone Johnson, I do not know you!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #12  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i dont like people in "my bubble" of space in general....hugs are fine with immediate family but thats all...like someone said, i wont back away from a hug but i wont initiate it outside of DH and my kids...i am also very leery of movement around my head and especially behind my head where i can't see it because i have vision problems and ear issues...so when my tall teenager is bending over to hug me while i'm sitting i still get a bit nervous with him looming over my head...stuff like that...

and i cant stand those work related icebreaker things where you all have to get in each others space and do stupid icebreaker things with strangers....ughhh i dont need to know you, i'm fine with being strangers
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #13  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

While I'm not a hugely physical person naturally, I don't avoid hugs. I even give reciprocal cheek kisses to my friends who engage that way. It's been a process but now I find I enjoy some physical affection with friends (and haven't ever had much issue with my husband regarding that, but we're not a highly touchy/feely couple).

I've never thought to avoid a hug because of my weight - if someone cares enough to hug me, why on earth would they care or judge me for being fat? It's not like my size was ever some big secret and nobody noticed
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I've never thought to avoid a hug because of my weight - if someone cares enough to hug me, why on earth would they care or judge me for being fat? It's not like my size was ever some big secret and nobody noticed
Stole the words right out of my mouth! I'm not an extremely touch-y person so it's not like I run around hugging strangers, but I don't think much about my weight when someone hugs me. They already know I'm big by looking at me, why would they be surprised by touching me?
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #15  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I don't think I ever stopped hugging cause of weight, my grandparents lived around the block from me and I seen them daily and we always hugged. That's how my family is, not hugging would be bad manners. My real problem was hugging and sweating under my arms. I would always kinda not fully extend my arms. Weird but I really only sweat under one arm, which does double duty so I also do right arm hugs to avoid the left. Think that's y I never thought about having someone feel my fat, too busy thinking of them smelling me.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote