General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Are you going to watch Jamie Oliver next week?

He's in L.A. with his Food Revolution. I really enjoyed Season 1. When he took us all to the mortuary, I was astounded at the size of the coffins. I don't know why I didn't think that it would have to be the size of a queen sized bed. It would be interesting to revisit and see if they did indeed keep the HFCS out of the school diet.

Seems odd to think that there is a problem in image conscious L.A. I know he ran into some problems with the City leaders. They didn't want him filming the students.

It is on ABC beginning on Tuesday.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Seems odd to think that there is a problem in image conscious L.A
Small parts of LA/industries are image conscious. The school district is huge (meaning more bureaucracy) and covers a wide area with widely disparate populations. So it isn't surprising to me at all. It's a much tougher problem than the small/local district in Huntington provided.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #3  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

You bet I am watching :-) I really like what JO is doing and his recipes .... oh boy!
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Already have the show set on my DVR. I loved last season of the show and I think it's marvelous what he is doing for the kids of America. My niece is still in day care and when I look at report at the end of the day (her and my sister live with me and my sister usually works nights) I'm shocked at the garbage they are feeding kids/toddlers. Yesterday the report said that for lunch she had chicken nuggets, french fries, buttered bread, baked beans, and pears and that was just for lunch! o.O I don't know what these teachers are thinking but apparently the regulations encourage them to feed the kids garbage instead of healthy food.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by niafabo View Post
Already have the show set on my DVR. I loved last season of the show and I think it's marvelous what he is doing for the kids of America. My niece is still in day care and when I look at report at the end of the day (her and my sister live with me and my sister usually works nights) I'm shocked at the garbage they are feeding kids/toddlers. Yesterday the report said that for lunch she had chicken nuggets, french fries, buttered bread, baked beans, and pears and that was just for lunch! o.O I don't know what these teachers are thinking but apparently the regulations encourage them to feed the kids garbage instead of healthy food.
No carbs in that meal!

I don't think the teachers have anything to do with it. It is the administrators. Sounds like your niece needs to take a packed lunch.

If you remember from the last show, some administrator said they were going with high fructose Friday's because they could feed a child for 50 cents or some such ridiculous amount.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
No carbs in that meal!

I don't think the teachers have anything to do with it. It is the administrators. Sounds like your niece needs to take a packed lunch.

If you remember from the last show, some administrator said they were going with high fructose Friday's because they could feed a child for 50 cents or some such ridiculous amount.
She's only 1.5 so if I sent her with one she would be the only one eating a packed lunch. I asked my sister and she said that wouldn't be fair to her and that I should stop trying to make the baby eat health food.

Wow that is cheap.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

She's only 1 1/2 and they gave her that much food? Sheesh!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/153/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I loved the first season and will check out this next one. I never had heard of a 'flash mob' until his show (on Marshall's campus). I was obsessed with finding all kinds of flash mob youtube clips. I think they're so cool--his is the best. Jamie seems so caring.

I work in a municipal health department. I formerly was a "walking advocate" for my city for a project that works to increase active living and increase healthy food options in the schools and restaurants. I get to challenges and the sweet possibilities when the administration, schools, and community support the "revolution". It's amazing. I've seen so much change in 8 years.
iaradajnos is offline   Reply With Quote