3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Are you going to watch Jamie Oliver next week? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/229936-you-going-watch-jamie-oliver-next-week.html)

cbmare 04-06-2011 01:00 PM

Are you going to watch Jamie Oliver next week?

He's in L.A. with his Food Revolution. I really enjoyed Season 1. When he took us all to the mortuary, I was astounded at the size of the coffins. I don't know why I didn't think that it would have to be the size of a queen sized bed. It would be interesting to revisit and see if they did indeed keep the HFCS out of the school diet.

Seems odd to think that there is a problem in image conscious L.A. I know he ran into some problems with the City leaders. They didn't want him filming the students.

It is on ABC beginning on Tuesday.

mandalinn82 04-06-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Seems odd to think that there is a problem in image conscious L.A
Small parts of LA/industries are image conscious. The school district is huge (meaning more bureaucracy) and covers a wide area with widely disparate populations. So it isn't surprising to me at all. It's a much tougher problem than the small/local district in Huntington provided.

josey 04-06-2011 01:57 PM

You bet I am watching :-) I really like what JO is doing and his recipes .... oh boy!

niafabo 04-06-2011 03:16 PM

Already have the show set on my DVR. I loved last season of the show and I think it's marvelous what he is doing for the kids of America. My niece is still in day care and when I look at report at the end of the day (her and my sister live with me and my sister usually works nights) I'm shocked at the garbage they are feeding kids/toddlers. Yesterday the report said that for lunch she had chicken nuggets, french fries, buttered bread, baked beans, and pears and that was just for lunch! o.O I don't know what these teachers are thinking but apparently the regulations encourage them to feed the kids garbage instead of healthy food.

cbmare 04-06-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niafabo (Post 3794594)
Already have the show set on my DVR. I loved last season of the show and I think it's marvelous what he is doing for the kids of America. My niece is still in day care and when I look at report at the end of the day (her and my sister live with me and my sister usually works nights) I'm shocked at the garbage they are feeding kids/toddlers. Yesterday the report said that for lunch she had chicken nuggets, french fries, buttered bread, baked beans, and pears and that was just for lunch! o.O I don't know what these teachers are thinking but apparently the regulations encourage them to feed the kids garbage instead of healthy food.

No carbs in that meal!

I don't think the teachers have anything to do with it. It is the administrators. Sounds like your niece needs to take a packed lunch.

If you remember from the last show, some administrator said they were going with high fructose Friday's because they could feed a child for 50 cents or some such ridiculous amount.

niafabo 04-06-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbmare (Post 3794696)
No carbs in that meal!

I don't think the teachers have anything to do with it. It is the administrators. Sounds like your niece needs to take a packed lunch.

If you remember from the last show, some administrator said they were going with high fructose Friday's because they could feed a child for 50 cents or some such ridiculous amount.

She's only 1.5 so if I sent her with one she would be the only one eating a packed lunch. I asked my sister and she said that wouldn't be fair to her and that I should stop trying to make the baby eat health food. :(

Wow that is cheap.

cbmare 04-06-2011 05:35 PM

She's only 1 1/2 and they gave her that much food? Sheesh!

iaradajnos 04-06-2011 06:58 PM

I loved the first season and will check out this next one. I never had heard of a 'flash mob' until his show (on Marshall's campus). I was obsessed with finding all kinds of flash mob youtube clips. I think they're so cool--his is the best. Jamie seems so caring.

I work in a municipal health department. I formerly was a "walking advocate" for my city for a project that works to increase active living and increase healthy food options in the schools and restaurants. I get to challenges and the sweet possibilities when the administration, schools, and community support the "revolution". It's amazing. I've seen so much change in 8 years.