General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259.6/245.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Massage Envy

Does anyone have any reviews/info, either positive or negative about this place? I love massages, but my last two regular therapists, who I LOVED have both moved on to I don't know where. I've had a few average ones, and one bad one in my quest to find a new therapist. Massage Envy just opened a new location in my area so I figured I'd give them a try.

Of course as soon as I mention it to someone here at work, I start getting the horror stories. They have a "membership" program and a high pressure sales tactic. The girl on the phone had to have my credit card number to book the appointment, in case I was a no show. Now all this is starting to make me VERY uncomfortable, almost to the point of canceling.

Should I just risk it? I can say no to the membership! Any thoughts?
jenwoobiekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I went there once, and never again. You get what you pay for. They are too commericial for me, and it is weird that they take your CC number. I felt uncomfortable with that too. I massage isn't even as long as it's supposed to be. The timer starts the moment u set foot in the door.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'd yelp a massage place honestly. I use yelp.com for EVERYTHING!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #4  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

My experience with ME has been positive. I had an initial "trial" massage then signed up for a year membership. I paid the entire thing up front to avoid yet another monthly charge to balance in my account, and for doing that they gave me a free bathrobe (Turkish-style, very nice) and a boatload of points to upgrade massages. I've still not gotten through the points and it's been 18 months. Thanks to the points, I have a 90-min massage every month even though I've only paid for 60-min ones. (Note: after the first year contract it switches to month-to-month billing).
Re masseuses: I tried four at that ME before I found one I REALLY liked, and that's super important. When she left after a year, I asked a friend who she liked at ME and now this new masseuse is my all-time favorite. I go in with IT band issues, calf cramp problems, neck pain from work, TMJ pain from being a stress bucket etc. and she fixes it all.
I think if you go in knowing exactly what things cost ahead of time and determine to find YOUR masseuse, it can be great.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I've never gone to Massage Envy, but a couple of my friends have & they loved it. It may depend on location and therapist.

I don't know that it's so unusal to take a credit card at the time of appointment. A lot of the local spas/salons in my area do this (at least for a new client) because they have a 24 hr. cancellation notice policy. If you cancel with less than that or are a no-show, they've lost possible business.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #6  
Good things happen.

Height: 5' 4"

I've been to Massage Envy a couple of times, but the ones here didn't request a credit card, nor did they pressure me into any kind of membership. They pointed out the brochures "in case I was interested" but that was it. I had two different massage therapists, one male and one female. I really liked the female; it was just kind of weird to me to have a male massage therapist, and he liked to talk when I just wanted to lay there and get rubbed.
But the experiences overall were good, in my opinion.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote