Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #16  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
Cool, a chat!! I'll jump in.

I am mending from a broken back. I sat in my chair for weeks without any movement and the pounds just piled on. My back is feeling much better, and I am allowed to walk on treadmill. Weights are still a no-no, but hopefully I will be cleared in a week or two to start some sort of a lifting program.

My February goal is to get close to 140 pounds.
Glad you're here! And God bless you - a broken back is a big deal and I trust you will continue on the mend.

I have found that, for me, weight loss has more to do with getting a calorie deficit than it does with exercise. Since I'm not a big exerciser, that's kind of good news, I guess?

At any rate, it's nice to have more support here.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Hi Sum! Welcome to the chat!
Gosh, I cannot imagine a broken back! That must've been really awful. ): I bet you're excited to do some walking again though! Be careful and take it easy.

My weight hasn't moved in a couple days. Guess I'm stuck above 60 kg for now! That's all right, still hoping to lose just 2-3 in the next month.
I don't like making just weight goals, because you can never choose exactly how your body is going to respond, but I'm making some more tangible goals for myself to do every day:
-Replace breakfast and/or lunch with a big protein shake, especially when I'm super busy and can't be bothered to cook something healthy, so I don't let myself get too hungry and snack or overeat at dinner.
-Go for one walk and attempt pull-ups or push-ups once a day.
-No snacking while I work! I work from home and it's very easy to slip into the habit of eating while I work at the computer to make the work go by faster.

I'll stick to just those three habits for a few weeks and see how things go! Slow and steady, can't do anything intense now in my "fourth trimester." (;
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #18  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottainai View Post
Hi Sum! Welcome to the chat!
Gosh, I cannot imagine a broken back! That must've been really awful. ): I bet you're excited to do some walking again though! Be careful and take it easy.

My weight hasn't moved in a couple days. Guess I'm stuck above 60 kg for now! That's all right, still hoping to lose just 2-3 in the next month.
I don't like making just weight goals, because you can never choose exactly how your body is going to respond, but I'm making some more tangible goals for myself to do every day:
-Replace breakfast and/or lunch with a big protein shake, especially when I'm super busy and can't be bothered to cook something healthy, so I don't let myself get too hungry and snack or overeat at dinner.
-Go for one walk and attempt pull-ups or push-ups once a day.
-No snacking while I work! I work from home and it's very easy to slip into the habit of eating while I work at the computer to make the work go by faster.

I'll stick to just those three habits for a few weeks and see how things go! Slow and steady, can't do anything intense now in my "fourth trimester." (;
Mottainai, I love the idea of "more tangible goals," in addition to fitness/weight loss. A couple of mine are, as I've mentioned elsewhere:

Don't turn the computer on first thing in the morning.
Take care of whatever needs taking care of first, at least until 11 a. m.

That has been SUCH a success, so far. Of course, I've only been at it a few days, lol.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:25 PM   #19  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I had a splurge day yesterday. I met a friend for dinner and it was steak and wine... Needless to say; scale did not like it; two pounds worth. BUT I liked it! And that is all that matters, right?

Today back OP.

I am a retired mom. Both of the kids are in college and I found myself useless. Going from being a helicopter mom to nothing was harsh. Now I fill my days with volunteer work, hey someone has to do it! This week was insane. If they paid me for all the stuff I do, I could be handsomely compensated...lol.

About nursing; I nursed both of my kids. My DD about 8 months, my son was so BIG (10 pounds at birth, 25 pounds at 6 months), that I had to supplement after 5 months. He wanted to eat every 40 minutes and I got down to 108 pounds. I could not keep up with his needs without getting sick. I nursed him part time until he was 8 months old as well. -- My kids are so smart. I hope that the nursing contributed to their brain development. Plus I loved the connection. So ladies, keep up at it! No regrets here, coming from an older mom.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #20  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Talking

Quote:
I had a splurge day yesterday. I met a friend for dinner and it was steak and wine... Needless to say; scale did not like it; two pounds worth. BUT I liked it! And that is all that matters, right?

Today back OP.

I am a retired mom. Both of the kids are in college and I found myself useless. Going from being a helicopter mom to nothing was harsh. Now I fill my days with volunteer work, hey someone has to do it! This week was insane. If they paid me for all the stuff I do, I could be handsomely compensated...lol.

About nursing; I nursed both of my kids. My DD about 8 months, my son was so BIG (10 pounds at birth, 25 pounds at 6 months), that I had to supplement after 5 months. He wanted to eat every 40 minutes and I got down to 108 pounds. I could not keep up with his needs without getting sick. I nursed him part time until he was 8 months old as well. -- My kids are so smart. I hope that the nursing contributed to their brain development. Plus I loved the connection. So ladies, keep up at it! No regrets here, coming from an older mom.
Thank you for your volunteer work. That makes all the difference in a community! And your kids obviously benefitted from the nursing. As I said above, there's nothing better for their health, and I think it helps the mother to recover from pregnancy, also, iirc.

Sometimes I think that the splurge benefits - i. e., relaxing, bonding, whatever - outweigh the modest amount of temporary weight gain. Glad you and your friend had fun!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #21  
Fat to Fab and Fit

You are so right HungerWerks. My body bounced back in weeks. The sad thing is, I can not blame baby fat for my current condition

Another thing; we ate wild caught salmon a few time per week and children played musical instruments. I called it brain food/brain development-- Don't know if they made a difference, but both of them have high hopes in world. DD is doing computer engineering and DS wants to be a doctor.

I fully believe that mother nature knows the best.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #22  
life is not a rehearsal

S/C/G: 62/60.5/50

Height: 5"4

I'm back! Sorry for the huge absence (and happy new year to you all!) Will write more when I finish work for the day but just wanted to check in (lovely to see familiar names still). You're all doing so well x
Oneten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #23  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneten View Post
I'm back! Sorry for the huge absence (and happy new year to you all!) Will write more when I finish work for the day but just wanted to check in (lovely to see familiar names still). You're all doing so well x
Happy New Year!
Old 01-31-2015, 06:21 AM   #24  
Fat to Fab and Fit

I am glad this week is over! I did bring home some work from my volunteer post, but it should only take a few hours.

I am ovulating and weight is stuck, plus I have not had time to workout (walk) in a few days. Ovulation brings on the snacking too, at least for me. So scale is firmly planted at 149. Hoping for a whoosh next week.

I am returning back to my other volunteer spot on Monday. I volunteer for a local hospital as well (in addition to the Finnish Center where I am their Membership Chair). I can not remember my password after a two month absence...lol Need to get there early to sort that one out.

This weekend; I hope to get a few walks in, outdoors. Enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods.

We may be moving to Boston. We live in suburbs of Detroit now, but we have huge green areas and forests. We would like to live in downtown in Boston, so it could be quite a change for us.... My doggie is used to being a country girl. The forest where I do my 5 mile walk with her, she can go off the leash. Becoming a city doggie will be an interesting challenge for her. -- But we are looking to rent near big parks or by the river front, so there will be lots of places to walk. Unfortunately she is losing her leash free life. She had it good

I am getting my thyroid checked today, it has been acting up. Hopefully the values are getting in a normal range. It definitely has not made my weigh loss any easier.

Everyone have a fab day!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:19 AM   #25  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
I am glad this week is over! I did bring home some work from my volunteer post, but it should only take a few hours.

I am ovulating and weight is stuck, plus I have not had time to workout (walk) in a few days. Ovulation brings on the snacking too, at least for me. So scale is firmly planted at 149. Hoping for a whoosh next week.

I am returning back to my other volunteer spot on Monday. I volunteer for a local hospital as well (in addition to the Finnish Center where I am their Membership Chair). I can not remember my password after a two month absence...lol Need to get there early to sort that one out.

This weekend; I hope to get a few walks in, outdoors. Enjoy the peace and quiet of the woods.

We may be moving to Boston. We live in suburbs of Detroit now, but we have huge green areas and forests. We would like to live in downtown in Boston, so it could be quite a change for us.... My doggie is used to being a country girl. The forest where I do my 5 mile walk with her, she can go off the leash. Becoming a city doggie will be an interesting challenge for her. -- But we are looking to rent near big parks or by the river front, so there will be lots of places to walk. Unfortunately she is losing her leash free life. She had it good

I am getting my thyroid checked today, it has been acting up. Hopefully the values are getting in a normal range. It definitely has not made my weigh loss any easier.

Everyone have a fab day!!!
Outside is so invigorating and refreshing. I don't get out there much, but it certainly can give one a positive reset.

Boston - how exciting! That sounds like one big adventure. You will not be lacking for any cultural opportunities, that's for sure. And a person so involved as yourself will have a great choice of volunteer venues!
Old 02-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #26  
Fat to Fab and Fit

HungerWerks; we sold our house two years ago for this! That I could travel with my husband and live in different cities. So our dream is about to come true. -- Boston sounds exciting, lots of history and being right in the middle of it, will make it even more appealing. I bet I will hit a different museum, gallery, restaurant each day.

The bummer is, I am leaving my fab friends behind. I have such a nice group and now I need to start from scratch.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #27  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
HungerWerks; we sold our house two years ago for this! That I could travel with my husband and live in different cities. So our dream is about to come true. -- Boston sounds exciting, lots of history and being right in the middle of it, will make it even more appealing. I bet I will hit a different museum, gallery, restaurant each day.

The bummer is, I am leaving my fab friends behind. I have such a nice group and now I need to start from scratch.
I was thinking that would be a bummer for you. You seem like such a people person. They will be missing you a lot, too!
Old 02-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #28  
Fat to Fab and Fit

You nailed it! I am the ultimate people person. I have a very large friendship base.... not too large tho I like to keep good friends close by, and not waste my time on "useless" relationships. -- I fully believe, with my personality, I will make new friends; old friends won't be forgotten, just expanding my heart.

It will be an adventure, but we did this before...even as far as London, England.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #29  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
You nailed it! I am the ultimate people person. I have a very large friendship base.... not too large tho I like to keep good friends close by, and not waste my time on "useless" relationships. -- I fully believe, with my personality, I will make new friends; old friends won't be forgotten, just expanding my heart.

It will be an adventure, but we did this before...even as far as London, England.
"Well, I've never been to England...but I kind of like the Beatles" (love them, actually). You are an ambassador of good will.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #30  
Fat to Fab and Fit

HungerWerks We are hoping that in a year, after this Boston gig, we will get sent to Hong Kong. It probably will be a 9 month assignment, long enough to explore what that part of the world is about. My hubby was born in Australia, but has not been there in 45 years; which means he has no memory of it as he was an infant when he moved out, but he is a citizen. I would love to see Australia, New Zealand, Japan, India etc. When we lived in UK, we traveled some, but it was harder because kids were so small 4 and 6, it really limited what we could see. But I am glad they had the opportunity to visit many countries; they are seasoned travelers as we travel quite a bit.

I am leaving for Boston on the 8th and coming back on the 13th; househunting (apartment) time. I can not believe it is getting this real.

We got a massive amount of snow, yesterday. I barely got out of the sub, took me half a dozen of tries, nearly getting completely stuck, but I made it. The hospital I volunteer for usually has 100's of volunteers each day; only 5 of us showed up. They gave us lunch vouchers for our dedication. -- Me being from Finland, I am used to this fluffy white stuff; it does not scare me.

So is it just two of us here?? I wish more Feathers were to join the fun! -- It would be nice to establish a nice and strong Feather community.

LURKERS... don't be shy, join in!!!