Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 138/136/110s

Alexis, I realized I didn't answer your question about my username. A couple years ago, I was caught in a bad diet/binge cycle, and one day after I'd gone off and ate a crap ton of food and was whining about how bad I felt, my husband said it was "mottainai," which means kind of close to "wasteful," meaning how I kept destroying all my progress. For some reason that really struck me, and I was inspired to stop that from happening! And then I joined this website, so it became my username. (:

Good job to you and Hungerwerks!

On the topic of books like Geneen Roth's, even better I really liked Gillian Riley's Ditching Diets and Josie Spinardi's book, something something Cake and Skinny Jeans, too. They're also both about getting rid of the restrictive diet mindset to lose weight and stay healthy and trim more kindly and naturally. Really helped me out a lot!

I mentioned it on the other thread but I'm still just at 130, even after eating huge dinners (all you can eat Korean BBQ and a kind of double dinner on Sunday, plus more cake). Usually I actually eat less on the weekends, because I'm better at controlling portions and eating just a normal amount of food I really enjoy when I eat with my husband or we are out with friends, whereas during the week is when I'm alone for more meals and go off track with the boredom eating too. But since I actually had a lot this weekend, today I wasnt so hungry so far, so I'm doing good! Even haven't snacked on a bunch of chocolate and cakes and chips while I work, as is my vice...
mottainai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #62  

Also it's interesting you mentioned the "natural weight" thing, Hungerwerks. I've thought about it, and personally I think that everyone does have a "natural weight" but it's more a creation of your habits and lifestyle, and it changes over time depending on your circumstances. For instance, my natural weight as a busy mom of a baby might be a little higher than it was when I was single and had a lot of free time to work out as my hobby, so I don't mind accepting that and realizing it's not the end of the world if I'm not super skinny. That way I don't out undue pressure on myself to try and workout, and then rebel and overeat when it fails becaus I have no time!
That's just my take, anyway!

Last edited by mottainai; 02-16-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #63  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Wink

Way to maintain, Mottainai! And I'm glad Alexis asked you about your name. I was curious, too! I definitely believe in the concept of "waste not, want not," but had not thought about it in relation to food - clever.

As far as the concept of "natural weight," I can see what you're saying, and it makes sense. But, imo, it should be called something else, something that connotes temporary-ness. Because "natural weight," to me, kind of makes it sound like a sentence, like "this is the weight nature intended for you to be, and this is what you will be."

With my new approach to dieting, with which the loss is very consistent, I can decide what my weight will be, God willing. My body and my appetite are not going to do that, because I'm in control of what I eat, when it comes right down to it. Kind of empowering!

Edit: I just realized that, when one is breastfeeding, hunger cues would mean something very important, so they could not be ignored. I would think that much of what I'm saying about dieting would not apply to someone who is breastfeeding, so please excuse or ignore whatever doesn't apply in that case.

Last edited by HungerWerks; 02-16-2015 at 04:08 PM.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #64  

It's okay! To each his own! I've just had enough of denying my hunger and not eating what I really want without worrying about it, breastfeeding or not! So I've learned to find a way of eating that means I get to do that and still be thin. But in the past, I definitely did make the choice to do just like you said, to put my desires away for the sake of being super super thin and fit too. That's just not my life now, priorities have changed the past couple years, but I totally understand where you're coming from too!
Old 02-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #65  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Werks - I agree the idea of a "natural weight" does sound like a life sentence, but I firmly believe that one's "natural weight" can change over time. It seems like the word "natural" applies more to the act of maintaining it (ie - "natural" as opposed to "forced").

Seems like the key is to give up struggling and work with your body to achieve whatever goals you set.

Mottainai - Thank you for sharing about your username! Such a cool concept. Seems like you're the embodiment of maintaining a "natural weight": you eat what you want and stop when you're full. (and PS - can't stop staring at your avatar. SUCH a beautiful pic!!!)

~~~
weighed in at 149.2 this morning. Ate a truckload on Sunday, so it's to be expected.

Busy days at the office - have a deadline coming up on Wednesday, oy.

Went on a coffee date yesterday with a fellow I met on the onlines. Interesting in a good way, I think. He's a pastor at a church upstate, which was intriguing enough. Same denomination, different division. Hoping to be able to meet up again soon...

Sending feather love!!!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #66  

Alexis- that's cool about your coffee date. I met my husband online too, haha. What denomination of church do you go to? I'm a Catholic-turned-Presby. (: Good luck at work!
Old 02-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #67  
life is not a rehearsal

S/C/G: 62/60.5/50

Height: 5"4

Hi everyone! Sorry for being MIA again. Flat out here with work, Masters and building a house (did I mention I was building a new house?)

Long story short I weighed myself this morning for the first time in ages and I am up Oh my goodness. I think I need to stop and make some time for my health. The thing is I feel great and I think I must be carrying it well because people have been complimenting me on my figure lately. How bizarre.

Anyway the goal is still 110 but I am going to have to make more time to post here because you ladies keep me on track!

Alexis - welcome!

Last edited by Oneten; 02-16-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Oneten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #68  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneten View Post
Hi everyone! Sorry for being MIA again. Flat out here with work, Masters and building a house (did I mention I was building a new house?)

Long story short I weighed myself this morning for the first time in ages and I am up Oh my goodness. I think I need to stop and make some time for my health. The thing is I feel great and I think I must be carrying it well because people have been complimenting me on my figure lately. How bizarre.

Anyway the goal is still 110 but I am going to have to make more time to post here because you ladies keep me on track!

Alexis - welcome!
Hey, Oneten! I don't remember the house part - that is monumental! You have one busy, exciting life. Sitting down doesn't sound like something you do too often! I hope you're making some time for yourself.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #69  
life is not a rehearsal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungerWerks View Post
Hey, Oneten! I don't remember the house part - that is monumental! You have one busy, exciting life. Sitting down doesn't sound like something you do too often! I hope you're making some time for yourself.
Thanks HW - so sweet of you! Well I sit down all day at the office but I always try to make time to get out for lunch
Old 02-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #70  

Oneten- Wow on the house-building! I can't imagine. We are going to have to buy a place this year, and just finding one is enough work!
It's nice that you're getting compliments, regardless of whatever the scale says. (:

Weighed 129 yesterday, lowest yet! Had a double cheeseburger and fries for lunch and pork cups for dinner, so lots of salt, so it's back over 130 today, of course.
I got a pair of "motivation jeans" by chance from a friend who gave me some old clothes. They're very expensive and look great, so I'd love to wear them, but they are a size 26 and still slightly tight on me. So that'll be a good first step goal, to wear them comfortably! Pre-pregnancy and pre-some fertility work, I wore 23/24's though, so still a little bit to go after that..
Old 02-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #71  
life is not a rehearsal

Mottainai - Motivation jeans - love it! Which ones do you have? I'm Size 25 in J Brand at the moment but holding off on buying more jeans until I hit goal.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #72  

HW ~ I realized that I didn't answer YOUR question about Geneen Roth. I don't think the quote comes from her, but it may. I don't remember exactly where I got it, but I really like the meaning.

Oneten ~ Work, Masters AND building a house??? My word, girl!!!

Mottainai~ Woot woot for motivation jeans!!! I'm a Presby, too!!! (the Pastor is PCUSA, I'm PCA) Hoping to see him again on Sunday...

~~~
I weighed in at 147 this morning. Wasn't expecting that much water loss, but there you go.

Almost at the finish line for this proposal at work. (my life will be easier after Thursday...)
Old 02-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #73  

Oneten- They're non-stretch ultra skinny Joe's Jeans. I have J Brands in 24 and 25 too! I think we basically the same size and weight and with the same goal! You are now my motivation buddy, haha.

Alexis- That's so cool. I'm PCA as well. (: Good luck on your proposal! I'll be done with my latest work project Thursday as well, if all goes according to plan!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #74  

mottainai ~ No way about the PCA (too funny!) When I read that the pastor was PCUSA, I was like what the whaaaaaaat? (because, as I'm sure you know, they're SUPER liberal) He's reformed, though, thank goodness. And I, too have a pair of Joe's Jeans (no idea what size, but they're definitely stretchy).

Hopefully all will calm down after Thursday. We're all trying to pull together but there's definitely a lot going on. =

~~~
Weighed in at 148.6 this morning. Think I'm holding water from some veggie flax chips I had yesterday. Argh. Still keeping to the five point plan, though.

Stay strong, feather friends!!!
Old 02-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #75  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Cool

I googled "goal clothes" and got this:

Is there a corresponding American size to 25/26?

My motivational jeans just say "small" (they're actually capris).