Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Petite, I think slowly lowering your exercise will help. Just as where people who are trying to exercise more, they start slowly and build up! You can do it! How about you give me some of that energy and we can even out

Ainsley,

That is a good idea! I am going to aim for 1500 a day. That way on the days I go over, it will all even out. I have also decided I am going to give myself one day at 2000 calories. Probably a night when I go out drinking with friends! Ill let you know how well this all works!

You are so funny about your bread and beer. Sounds like my kind of diet Have fun Sunday at your lunch!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Hi guys! This has been a good on-plan week for me! I ran last night and it felt great. I don't typically run at night, but it was really my only option due to thunderstorms and 100 degree heat! My pants are starting to fit a little better, so that is definitely a good sign.

We are going out to dinner tonight, but I'll be choosing the healthy option. I've allowed myself the luxury of ordering not so healthy foods all summer, so it's definitely time to start ordering healthy again. It's either order healthy or don't go out at all, or at least that is the rule I'm trying to set for myself until I get back to my goal weight.

I also wanted to say that I am a big believer in walking. It was my main form of exercise during most of my weight loss. I built up to walking for an hour straight, then I sped up my walking to burn even more calories.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. My goal is just to stay on plan!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #78  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Ainsleymom, LOL on the cake. I had SUCH a hard time when we made cupcakes for DH's bday in July. I usually eat tons of frosting as I decorate.

Chelsey, sounds like your metabolism is humming along just fine! So nice to know numbers. I'm such a numbers geek. Maintenance has been going well. I'm at 120.6 today, and my highest weight in the last month is 122.6 (I'm trying to stay under 123).

Kellost, I ran last night too, but it didn't feel good at all. I went about 45 minutes after dinner and my stomach hurt terribly and then I got a tremendous headache. The running part (legs, lungs, heart) felt great. Go figure. But I will never do that again!

My college roommate is coming to visit tomorrow and we are going out to dinner. Luckily, I have a 10-mile run in the morning so that should allow me to have a pretty generous dinner -- and even share dessert!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Ainsleymom, LOL on the cake. I had SUCH a hard time when we made cupcakes for DH's bday in July. I usually eat tons of frosting as I decorate.

Chelsey, sounds like your metabolism is humming along just fine! So nice to know numbers. I'm such a numbers geek. Maintenance has been going well. I'm at 120.6 today, and my highest weight in the last month is 122.6 (I'm trying to stay under 123).

Kellost, I ran last night too, but it didn't feel good at all. I went about 45 minutes after dinner and my stomach hurt terribly and then I got a tremendous headache. The running part (legs, lungs, heart) felt great. Go figure. But I will never do that again!

My college roommate is coming to visit tomorrow and we are going out to dinner. Luckily, I have a 10-mile run in the morning so that should allow me to have a pretty generous dinner -- and even share dessert!
Waaaiiittttttt - you lost weight while on maintenance?? Im so jealous!!! I can't wait till I can say I am doing a 10 mile run. the most I can run without stopping is 1.7 miles. lol that sounds pathetic even typing Congrats and have fun with your college friend!!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #80  

Well, I haven't really lost weight. I kind of bounce around between 120.6 and 122.6. Up or down a bit every day.

And take heart -- I certainly wasn't always running 10 miles! I've been jogging/running on and off for 18 years!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #81  

Dianne.....it's okay to run less miles. I completed my first 5K this past May, and basically I've been running around 3 to 3.5 miles three times per week ever since. I am hoping to "maybe" up my mileage in the fall when it gets cooler. But if I don't, thats okay, too. I'm just taking it slow. I have a feeling I'll do the half marathon training someday in the future, but for now I'm just trying to stick to my 3 miles and not give up on it. The main thing for me is, not to lose this ability to run 3 miles straight. I never, ever, was a runner before, and I want to keep it going if I can.

Same7: I know what you mean about having trouble running after dinner. I waited about 2-3 hours after dinnner, so I didn't have any problems. One time, though, I ran after eating a greasy, cheesy meal. Was I ever sick after that! Eating poorly and running afterward was not a good idea at all!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 144/122.4/healthy for life

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi feathers!
So I'm officially in maintenance! I'm trying to stay under 135, and I've been bobbing around 133ish for a while. I might try to drop to 130 by the end of this semester as a goal to keep me on track .
Major NSV today--I didn't exercise this morning (it was raining and I just couldn't pull my body out of bed) so I planned to just adjust my calories accordingly. It was VERY tricky (I'm a nanny, and the family I help purchase some awfully unhealthy food; I now have a list of "what I said no to today" a mile long!), but I stayed under 1500 today, which was the plan! I'm super excited because Tuesday and Wednesday were terribly close to my calorie limit, and in the past a few bad days would totally throw my plans. Not so anymore!

Last edited by oneoftwelve; 08-13-2010 at 07:33 PM.
oneoftwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #83  

Way to go, oneoftwelve!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #84  

Hey Feathers!

I'm still on track......still on track! Can you tell I'm trying to psyche myself into being good for awhile??? I know what I need to be doing, but have had the hardest time finding motivation lately! I kind of found myself this week, I guess.

So, my older son was invited to a sleepover tonight. Then my mom found out and offered to watch my younger guy so my hubby and I can get a night out. (We don't do that nearly often enough!) Now I need to really make my resolution stick, because everything in me wants to schedule dinner at a fancy place and not worry about calories. I'm not going to do it, though. We will go out to dinner, but I swear I'm going to stick with a healthy entree. We might go to the movies, too, but no popcorn for me tonight!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #85  

Good morning, feathers!

Kellost, how was your night out? We went out Saturday night, too (no grandparents nearby, thank goodness for babysitters!).

Saturday was really interesting to me. I had run 10 miles in the morning and estimated around 920 calories burned. Added to my 1800 daily cals, and I was sitting pretty at 2700+. Still, I ate very moderately during the day so I could really enjoy my dinner out (and also because I was so busy preparing for houseguests).

It is amazing how quickly those calories add up, though. I made some little tartlets for hors d'oeuvres before we went out, and the crust had a gazillion calories. Add in a few glasses of wine, a cocktail, a creamy soup, steak frites, a shared dessert, and I think I ended up 50 calories over. And if I hadn't been in a calorie-counting mindset, I can assure you I would have eaten more. Back in the old days I'm sure that would have been a 3700 calorie day.

Yesterday I was back on plan, and this morning I am heading to the gym. This will be a busy week, as we leave for a week at the beach on Saturday. My beach week will be interesting because I will be completely without scales and largely unable to control my food. We are renting a house with my husband's entire family and we take turns cooking dinner. It would be absolutely unacceptable to eat something other than what is prepared. I will practice portion control and eat lots of vegetables (which hopefully will not be heavily sauced). My husband's family is generally very healthy and they are all thin, but because it is vacation they will be splurging with things like dessert every night, cocktails in the afternoon, etc. One saving grace is that I am so active when we are there. I can run every day if I want, and take walks on the beach, swim in both the ocean and the pool, etc.

All that is to say I must be perfectly on-plan this week in preparation...
Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Well, after running nearly 11 miles on Sunday, I signed up for a half marathon in September. It will be my first race ever as an adult. The last and only race I ran was in high school. I won, but it was only a mile, and everyone else dropped out less than halfway through. I don't imagine that that will happen again.

And to think I never ran more than two miles at a time before the end of April this year. It's crazy! Thank you, StairMaster!

I'll also be running about 3,000 feet up and passing right by my house. The valley is at about 4,200 feet, but I live on a mountain at 6,100 feet, and the race goes on up from there and then down and up across the mountain range.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 137/130/119

Height: 5'4''

Oh that run sounds beautiful Petite Powerhouse! Are you in Colorado? Your lung capacity must be insane.

I'm very pleased the scale went down again and I'm still not counting calories. I'm really hoping I can do this without having to measure everything as that's not sustainable for me long term. We'll see. As I posted before we went out to lunch on Sunday and I did really well. I got a salad and only ate until I was satisfied. Which honestly wasn't even half of it. Before I probably could have ordered something really bad and polished it off. As I'm becoming more conscious about what I'm eating, it's really eye opening to see how many calories you could eat without thinking about it. Oh that ice blended mocha drink while you grocery shop - 400 calories, those samples of processed food at costco - 300 calories, the cupcake you pick up to 'treat' yourself - 700 calories! It's really no wonder how obese our country has become.

After doing my weekly menu I noticed I have a lot of carb heavy meals planned, so I'm going to have to work out more this week. I'm thinking of trying Zumba at the gym tonight - anybody try it?

Last edited by ainsleymom; 08-17-2010 at 09:09 AM.
ainsleymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #88  

PetiteP, what day is your race? I'm doing a half on September 12. Yours sounds beautiful but very challenging! Mine will be nice -- it's through a park that meanders along a creek from near my house to downtown Washington DC. Mostly downhill.

AinsleyMom, I'm so impressed you can do this without counting. And I have to admit I was momentarily jealous. But then I reminded myself that I can moan about having to count calories or rejoice that I found something that works for me. In fact, I think I need to apply that sort of thinking to all aspects of my life. I'm not a huge fan of being a SAHM -- I have to remind myself that I am fortunate to have that option. And I'm definitely not a fan of my husband's work schedule -- but I will remind myself that his work gives our family opportunities and security, and that it helps other people and brings him a lot of satisfaction.

(Sorry for the monologue, everyone... sometimes writing things out helps me process them.)

~sigh~ So for now I will try to focus on the half-full portion of the glass. It might help if I had a glass half-full of wine right about now.

Maybe I'm grumpy because I was around an unusual number of mirrors today and was not impressed with my legs. My upper body, especially around my sternum, has gotten downright bony, and my tummy is flat (very grateful for that after 3 kids) but my legs still look like tree stumps. Narrower tree stumps than before, but still awfully sturdy. Ah well. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps, I should focus on how strong they are and be grateful that they can propel me for long distances, which brings me joy. (see how that above monologue is already working?)

Speaking of joy when running, I think I had my first "runner's high" on Saturday. At mile 5, on one of my favorite stretches of road, I was flooded with such beautiful contentment -- not a rush or a buzz -- just pure, calm, contentment. I think I will keep chasing that.

Last edited by thesame7lbs; 08-17-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 137/130/119

Height: 5'4''

Don't be jealous! I'm sure as I get closer to goal it will become harder and harder and I will have to count to make headway. Actually sometimes I get curious about what I'm actually consuming, and am a little concerned that it's too low. But if I'm not cranky or feeling faint than my calories must not be too low right? Also I'm still nursing DD twice a day (hoping to move to just at bedtime soon), and she doesn't seem to have any complaints.

Today was a doozie (no naps) and I'm skipping Zumba tonight. Boo! But we went on a three mileish walk this morning and we went swimming this afternoon.
ainsleymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #90  

Hellooooo, anybody out there?

Maybe you all had a day like I did... rainy and gray didn't do much, ate a donut and too much fried yucca. Now I'm feeling yuck-a.

Hopefully a better report tomorrow. DH has the day off and we're taking the DD's to the county fair while DS stays home with a sitter. A fun day in store, no doubt, but I don't think there's a county fair on earth that is good for staying on plan!