Old 02-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #1  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Default Let's LC Chat! February 25 thru March 2nd

Gosh, it's hard to believe February is almost over already, isn't it? All a blur and not a really productive blur on this end! Did pick up on the exercise for awhile there but with the flu bug biting me pretty hard - even that went by the wayside. Hate to tell ya that sleeping a lot was definitely a part of this bug laura - started out that way & after a deepdeep 4 hour nap/sleep today - seems to be ending that way too!

The good news is that I'm feeling more & more like myself this evening . . . not near as weak & ready to kick off the week. Got a lot of inspiration from reading jerseygyrls recent Post on changing her life and am spendingthe evening cooking for the week. Got some eggplant & zucchini in - have totally burned out on coldcold salads - also going to make Linda's Tuna Casserole - hot & yummy for this kind of weather (ice ice Baby here in MO!) & perfect for Lent. Thinking I've been ignoring the importance of a VARIETY of veggies long enough, ya know?

Let's have a Great Last Week of February LC'ers!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #2  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Hey there, ladies! Sorry you've been feeling so ropey, aud - but I'm glad to hear that you're still keeping on keeping on, and that JerseyGyrl's helping to inspire you. Go Team!

Just checking in to say Good Morning from Bangkok, and to announce that, despite having been a bit off plan this past week (and totally failing to go to the gym AT ALL), I'm delighted to have lost another 2lb. That's just such an awesome feeling, you know? And it really inspires me to keep on keeping on, damn it - and to get my *** down to the gym!

Also, today I am wearing a new T shirt that I bought on my shopping spree the other day, and lots of people at work have commented on how much weight I have clearly lost! Which is really encouraging - and especially since today is the School Photo day, and I feel so much better about myself than I did this time last year!

Have a lovely day, folks!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

GGGGoooooo Faye! You keep on rockin. I'm still not getting on the scale. Even though I have not strayed off plan since January 1 the scale was screwing with my motivation so I stopped. I thinking that probably I can only lose during a week or so out of my cycle because of the perimeno thing. I have noticed that during January and February that the week of my period, without changing anything I'm eating, that my ketostix turn dark dark purple everyday all day and I have that slightly nauseous all the time feeling that you get when you first go into ketosis. Even doubling water to almost 200 ounces a day does not lessen the intense purple color. I don't think it has much to do with my plan which has been basically been for the last two weeks, adding more of the ongoing weight loss foods but sticking to 20 carbs or less a day. Overall I have lost 12 1/2 inches though.

Still feeling kinda punky. Sounds like we all have something. (We have to excuse Joyce because she ALWAYS has a little sumptin, sumptin goin' on but it ain't sicknes.) tee hee.

Aud: I too am burned out on lettuce. It just happened out of the blue. It is always harder for me to get the veggies in during the weekend because I am not packing a balanced lunch and taking it to work to eat. Instead, I can wait until I'm hungry and then just eat what I want. I hate it when I don't get the veggies in. Today I had a slice of flax bread (6 carbs) with a slice of swiss cheese on it, 1 cup and 1/2 of salad with chicken salad on it and an omlete for dinner. I had to throw some broccoli into the omelette to get those veggies in. Been taking my COQ10, L Carnitine and multivitamen.
cally just some fat and protein and no veggies (unless it is spagetti squash).

No exercise today. I feel like a sloth but between being sick and having insomnia (work stress makes me wake up every couple of hours and over the past couple of weeks has me up at 3:00 a.m. for good) . Tomorrow is Bodypump at 6:00 p.m. though and I feel like I will be up to that!

DH just brought me a decaf soy latte (God Love Him).

Here is to a new week!

SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:08 PM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

Glad to hear your feeling better Aud! Yes, variety is the "spice of life".

BAB - HURRAY...for yet another successful WI! Even after your fantastic week...that's great...guess you didn't go off as far as you thought! Great job!

Well, I'm turning in guys...head hurts like ****...day 2 of TOM...still bloated and feeling lousy...but getting over the flu...don't know what the heck is wrong..so many things at once...stress, flu, TOM...ahhhhh! Anyways...planning on having a strong workout week! Going to be doing my weight training hardcore!!! Have a great eve/morn/afternoon (whatever it may be where you are)...Joyce
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #5  
banned

SIC - Correct me...but I do believe WE'RE ON THE SAME CYCLE!!! Awwww...now I have someone to share my mysery once a month with...yeahhh!! And...this is pretty much my only "down time" of the month (wink..wink!!) Gotta give BF some recouperating time...ya know!! hee hee!

FYI - Gals..I totally feel your pain on the veggie boredom...that's why I like to make Linda's soups...my favorite is the cauliflower bisque which I turn into a seafood bisque by simply adding shrimp, catfish (oh..yes..yummy in soup) and scallops! It's loaded with cauliflower, but you really don't taste it...and...it's a great way to get your veggies in! Also, the chunky chicken soup is outrageously good! What a better time for a nice hot soup and you can make enough to dip into during the week when your hectic...too tired to cook or just want a quick (in between meals) snack!

Okay..okay..I've rambled enough...good night to all...Joyce
Old 02-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #6  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Hmm...okay, who can explain to me about protein powders?

'Cause almost on a whim I went into a chemist today after buying my groceries, and saw they had some. And when I looked at the ingredients it read:

ONE SERVING: 32 grams

Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC 80): 27.06 grams
Sucrose: 2.81 grams
Cookies & Creme Flavor: 2.09 grams
Total: 32 grams.

This wasn't as helpful as I'd hoped - not exactly a breakdown of carb content - but it seemed to me that it was pretty low carb, since it's basically protein with a dash of sucrose and flavouring. Right? And since I'd heard folks talk about using protein powders as meal supplements/snacks, and since several of the recipes over at Linda's Low Carb use these things, I thought it was a reasonably sensible purchase.

I made a shake, in the name of experimentation, and concluded that it wasn't a bad thing.

...only now I've been over to Fitday, and Fitday seems to think that a generic protein powder contains 17 grams of protein and 27 grams of carb per 2 tablespoons.

WTF????

If this is the case, what on earth is the point? Why don't they call it Carb Powder, for crying out loud?

I've tried to find the nutritional content online for this specific product (ProFlex Whey ++), but to no avail - it's made in Thailand by a Thai company, so I'm just grateful that ANY of the label was in English.

However, gotta say that I am not terribly impressed. Would be most indebted to you if you can possibly shed some light on this for me!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #7  

Aaaaggghhhhh. Faye this is quite frustrating. I didn't realize that non-imported food over there is probably not labeled with nutrition information. How maddening. I don't use protien powders but Bambi and Azure do. I think we can deduce that the sucrose is absolutely carbs but I don't know what you get in the way of fiber here as a deduction. You might want to google whey protien isolate as opposed to just protien and see what you get on fitday. If you are not in love with the taste of this stuff I would give it the boot and order something online that you have the nutritional stats for. You are doing SO FABULOUSLY
Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #8  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

BroadAbroad, I would go with whatever the count is on the back of your powder. Some protein powders are high in protein and carbohydrates--people not on a LC diet benefit from replenishing their carbs and providing protein after a workout. The protein powder I use (Zero Carb Isopure)--has zero carbs, but that's because it's a specific kind. Protein powders range from having 0 carbs to having 60g carbs per serving--it really depends on what you're using it for!

As with anything and FitDay, if they don't have your specific brand of anything, you should enter it in as a custom food and go from there. I like Isopure, because it doesn't have any carbs (sweetened by sucralose (Splenda)). I realize that in Thailand you can't really find Isopure (I'm assuming!), and protein powder isn't necessary on a LC diet--I just like being able to chug a shake if I'm short on time. It's better for me to chug a 300 calorie shake with minimal carbs and lots of protein than to skip a meal and risk being starving later!

Looks like in your protein powder, in one scoop (32g), you have 27g protein and about 3g carbs (the sucrose). I don't know what's in the "flavoring" (I'm assuming that ingredient isn't in English?), so to be on the safe side you could count your powder as having 5g carbs and 27g protein per scoop. It's not ideal, but it may be as good as you can do in Thailand--at least it's not one of the higher-carb versions!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #9  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Just popping in & out - late for a forgotten "Well Woman" appointment and then back to work for the first time since the flu bug chomped on me last Wed!

Hi Ho Stirrups - here I come!

Will catch up in the Wee Hours but just gotta give ya a hug azzie it's so good to cya again!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #10  

Hi, I've been to my step class and am trying to summon the motivation to go to Yoga after work. I could easily justify going home early since I worked over several times last week, but then I wouldn't be coming back out for Yoga. I know if I get home, I'll stay home. The Yoga class is only on Monday and thursday. I've gone the last couple of thursdays, but I don't think I'll make much progress going only once a week. I'm pretty un-flexible these days. But, I could just go home. I'm pretty sick of work anyway! Decisions...Decisions.
Aud, bad news about the flu. DD15 came home yesterday at 4 and announced her stomach hurt. She went to bed at 5 p.m. and slept straight through to 8 a.m. She didn't want to go to school today. I'm really hoping I don't catch whatever she has!!
Faye, I've been tempted by the protein powder too, but I've never bothered to do any research. It sounds like Azure has a handle on it though.
Bambi, I'm going to have to look at the soup recipes. Last year at this time I was making soup every weekend and then eating it for lunch every day. I was doing Weight Watchers so I have a whole notebook full of low fat, low point soups. WW soups are always big on beans! I've been eating salad with grilled chicken for lunch every day! Maybe I need to branch out. I may have to visit Linda's site tonight!
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #11  
banned

BAB - The only reason I'm taking the protein drink is because I'm working out like a banchi woman!!! If not...there would be no need for the extra protein other than my normal diet! Xtra protein is imperative if your in a weight training program and are trying to build muscle...other than that...it's just extra calories...sooooo...with that said...until you get really active on a regular exercise regimen...I'd stay away from the protein drinks! Just my opinion though....sounds like your already on your way there...so you should probably not return the protein back to the store! Joyce
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I'll put my two cents in here. I went back to work today after a week of vacation. That is always unpleasant. I was a disorganized mess but I think I got everything caught up that needed to be done.

Fay-sounds like you got all the advice you need regarding protein powders. I use them to make yogurt smoothies and they can come in handy for low carb baking if you get that adventuresome.

Sorry to hear so many of you have had the flu but I know it has been a really bad year. I've been lucky so far although I work in healthcare.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #13  

Default Well Woman

Just for Aud:

This might compete with my escaping boob story and since you are having your "scoot down" experience today I will share it with you. Until recently, I had a company phone that also had a radio. You know the kind where someone else in your company has the same thing so they can push the button and open the channel and it beeps at you in an annoying fashion with static and they can hear you and what you are doing.

Two years ago I was at my well woman appointment. When I got there the nurse said, "Oh, the new tables have these stirrups that people have been complaining about. They kind of dig into the bottom of your feet. I just got another complaint so let's try something new. Why don't you leave your boots on." I complied and got comfy. The Dr. walks in and doesn't say anything. He gets to work and after a couple of minutes he says, "nice boots". If that wasn't bad enough, my radio phone beeped. I didn't answer, obviously. Then it beeped again and I hear my boss say, "Stayincalm, are you there? Why aren't you picking up?". The nurse hands me my phone off of the counter and I beep back (because this is not a call it is a radio conversation) and I say, "I'm right here is this urgent?" (Meanwhile, my pap smear is still going on). Boss says (all irritated too), "What are you doing?" (He obviously wanted to talk to me about some employee problem but didn't know who else might be in the room...little did he know. I say, "Well, I'm kind of busy right now can I get back to you in about 10 minutes?" He says, "What are you doing?" and I get to say (in an exasperated manner), "Getting a pap smear. What are you doing?" The nurse and Dr. were hysterical.

The NEXT year the exact same thing happened (with the exception of the boots). What are the odds that out of the eight years I have worked for this man he called me by radio maybe 4 times and two of those times I had my feet in the stirrups? The next day he said, "I have decided that we are just going to have cell phones now and don't really need the radio features anymore." Within a week about 60 new phones were distributed.

la, la, la.

SC
Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Stayincalm, you had me lmao.

I have that very unpleasant appointment scheduled for next week. Must be something about this time of year. Even if my pager goes off while I'm in the stirrups, they will just have to wait.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #15  
banned

Hello All! Okay...so, it's Day 7 of my "Ripped" program and I just got finished with my hour and a half workout...and boy was I stoked...I muscled through it like a pro! My lungs are still not fully clear (cuz I'm a smoker and it's takes me longer to get better from flu), but I perservered and I feel better than ever as I sip my delishous vanilla protein drink made w/fresh strawberries and 1/2 banana and 2/3 cup soy milk unsweetened! Yummmmy! I haven't really paid any attention to the scale this week cuz it's also day 3 of TOM and quite frankly I was really bloated the first two days...however, strange thing happened...I weighed-in sat (first day of TOM) and was 2 lbs up...sickened...I worked out that day and kept on with my program (lots of water, supplements, etc.)... by end of day Sun I sneaked a peak at the scale and had lost the 2 lbs!!! I'm not going to get on the scale again until next Saturday...which I just know has to be spectacular cuz my clothes are literally fallin off...and my boobies are starting to look very saaad!!...unfortunately...but not to fret...as I do upper body tomorrow and I'm gonna pump those babies up like balloons or pop a blood vessel tryin!! hee hee!...so saggy breasts for me...aahhh...no way!!!...I'll just keep chanting, "I must...I must...I must develop my bust...oh pleazzze...oh pleazzze...oh pleazzze don't let them touch my kneezzz!" LOL!

Okay..okay...must be light-headed! How's everybody else doin!!! No GYN's for me lately...I think my BF keeps everything aligned and running smoothly! hee hee! okay..okay..i know...get your mind out of the gutter!...but monthly's are a b*tchin time for me! Joyce