Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #31  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Hey, same7 (if I can call you that), if you have smart phone (either iphone or an Android OS phone), you can download an app called CardioTrainer (by WorkSmart Labs) that uses gps to give you a minute-by-minute update on your running pace, as well as your total distance, and maps/saves your route for future reference. It's far from perfectly accurate, but will definitely give you an idea if you're running 8 minute miles or 10 minute miles.

As for coffee, in my opinion, it's an unmitigated positive. Essentially zero calories (I don't like cream or sugar), provides energy, and may even boost metabolism and lower the chances of getting Parkinson's or Alzheimer's disease. Ok, that last part is only a correlation at this point, but hey, it at least doesn't hurt.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #32  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Neurodoc, thanks for the tip! I just downloaded CardioTrainer. I had a different one installed but junked it after a couple 99 mile runs at 99 miles per hour. I will give this one a try. Love my data! Are you a neurologist? Don't worry, I won't ask for medical advice! Neurology is an impressive field -- that brain is one complicated character.

I wish I liked black coffee. My father swears the coffee from my machine tastes like it has milk in it already (it's a super-automatic espresso maker so the brew has a lovely crema, the foam on top of espresso). Maybe I'll give it another go. Over the winter I got ridiculously addicted to lattes -- like, three a day. Partially for warmth and possibly for consolation over how hateful winter is (IMHO). This year I shall rely on tea!

OK, off for my run. And a shout out to my DH, who is staying up after a 2 am - 7 am shift to watch the kids during my run. I'm a lucky girl!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Neurodoc, thanks for the tip! I just downloaded CardioTrainer. I had a different one installed but junked it after a couple 99 mile runs at 99 miles per hour. I will give this one a try. Love my data! Are you a neurologist? Don't worry, I won't ask for medical advice! Neurology is an impressive field -- that brain is one complicated character.

I wish I liked black coffee. My father swears the coffee from my machine tastes like it has milk in it already (it's a super-automatic espresso maker so the brew has a lovely crema, the foam on top of espresso). Maybe I'll give it another go. Over the winter I got ridiculously addicted to lattes -- like, three a day. Partially for warmth and possibly for consolation over how hateful winter is (IMHO). This year I shall rely on tea!

OK, off for my run. And a shout out to my DH, who is staying up after a 2 am - 7 am shift to watch the kids during my run. I'm a lucky girl!

What a great DH of yours! It looks like you are doing well maintaining. Congrats Amy!

What part of the Jersey shore is your family from? All of my family is from the Jersey shore!! Manasquan to be exact..do you know that area?
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #34  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Chelsey, are you secretly a Jersey Girl?!?!?! I love it!

I'm originally from North Jersey, one of the NYC suburbs. My parents live down the shore now, in Little Egg Harbor. But I definitely know Manasquan, because we used to go to Point Pleasant in the summers.

My inlaws are in one of the NJ suburbs of Philadelphia, so I've got Jersey running all through my family. Don't worry, though -- I'm not like the crazy Real Housewives (tho Franklin Lakes is very close to where I grew up ).
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

hahah no I'm not secretly from Jersey. Ive lived in FL since I was 3! But my mom grew up in Manasquan, so that is where the majority of my family lives. She too went to Point Pleasant in the summers. I wonder if you know each other somehow. Although thats a long shot considering she's about 25 years older than you!

Hah I try to explain to people the jersey shore is not like the show "Jersey Shore". When people hear my family is from the shore they automatically think of "Snookie" and "the situation". Not sure if you know of that show.. Gives the shore a bad name..

Hope your weekend is going well and have fun visiting the family!!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #36  

Hi everyone! I've been on plan, and my weight went up on the scale this morning, so I'm trying not to get discouraged. It's annoying though since I've been doing everything right.

lilmissPope: I used to drink unsweetened iced coffees from Starbucks all the time, but I've cut way back now because I'm trying to save money. Now I just drink regular coffee every morning with splenda and unsweetened soymilk. I don't think there's any problem with it.
sammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #37  
Samantha417

Hey everyone! I'm going to try to post here more often now!

I was so bored today that I scrubbed the outside of the oven, dishwasher, and refrigerator. I'm a keeper! Haha! Tonight I'm going out to dinner with two of my friends. I've been bad eating wise for the past two days so I'm going to get a small house salad and french onion soup. That always does me well

Dianne: Jersey Shore just gives people a bad name. But yet I can't stop watching it hahahah!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 136/118/115

Height: 5'4

sammy: I think I will continue to get my coffee... its almost a treat for me instead of snacking on chips or cookies or even ice cream, I just get a little ice coffee! I absolutely love it and it fits into my calories for the day so why not!!

Been doing well on the diet so far!! But not seeing any loss yet.. ick. will keep going though. I actually enjoy my new eating habits!

Last edited by lilmissPope; 08-08-2010 at 06:55 PM.
lilmissPope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #39  
Samantha417

I've been doing really good with my eating today and my stomach thanks me for it!! I feel "clean" again!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #40  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Hello, ladies! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I'm hovering around 125, and looking forward to slowly seeing the scale go down. It's the final stretch!

I'm having an odd bit of back and forth with myself about my body at the moment. At my current weight, I am a size 2. When i get to goal in less than 10 pounds, I will probably be a size 0. It's exciting to think about, but scary at the same time, because I feel like I always hear "Size 0 is not attractive! Women who wear size 0 aren't REAL women because they don't have curves!" But I don't feel like I am THAT skinny. I have boobs... I am a 32D. And hips. I am a short woman with a tiny bone structure, so I feel like really my size suits the way I am built. I DID look bigger at a size 6 or 8 than someone with a larger frame would have. I guess it's just frustrating because I felt fat for so long and now I feel like people think I should be ashamed because I am at the other end of the spectrum. :-/

Sorry for the ramble. Haha.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #41  

bama: I think the most important thing is that you feel comfortable with yourself. You need to be happy at your weight and the size you wear. However, I believe that size is much less important. Just look at your body and determine whether or not you are happy, it doesn't matter what size you wear. People's bodies are so different. I know some people who wear a size four almost look too skinny and then some who are zeros and you wouldn't even know it. So it depends on you, just make sure your happy with your self and that is all that matters.

As for me..... I am still doing great on my new eating plan. Counting the calories is working and almost feels fun!. Checked the scale today just for fun.. down a pound but will wait until Friday for the "real" number. :] Just trying to stay positive!!!! Also, how do you know if the amount of calories you are taking in is the appropriate amount?? I have heard many people say that too little calories they didn't lose or not as much anyways.. and then some say too much of course didn't work either... Will I just know? If I see a drop in my weight after a week or even two weeks is my plan working?

Also, not sure if it even matters but when I gained my weight it was after i switched b/c.. I gained 20lbs in 2 months. needless to say I switched off that pill. Over the past year I had NO motivation to diet.. But I never gained any more weight I just maintained. I ate absolutely anything I wanted. Ate out all the time, almost everyday for lunch and maybe 2 or even 3 times a week for dinner. Ate chips, snacks you name it.. Never gained another pound. So, I guess I'm just wondering if I will even be able to lose my weight.. Im sure this just sounds weird to even ask. ugh!

Thanks! Hope everyone is having a great monday!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 137/130/119

Height: 5'4''

We got back from our vacation last night (after a 7 hour drive, yuck!) and had one last 'vacation' meal of pizza and red wine. Now I'm back on track with my morning oatmeal and a peach. Definitely need to do some grocery shopping today to get some veggies and the like in the house!

On the trip I tried to make good choices - which I did for the most part, and limit portions. We als did some long hikes which helped burn calories! This morning my weight was 130 exactly, so not up too much. We'll see how it goes this week.

As far as being a size 0 and feeling 'too skinny'. Remember a size 0 today was really a 4 not too many years ago. When I got married I wore a 4 or a 6 from stores like J Crew or Banana Republic, but my wedding dress (which is based on pattern sizes and not vanity sizes) was a size 10!
ainsleymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #43  

ainsleymom: Sounds like you did great on your vacation! That really shows you are serious about your goal. Many people go completely bonkers on their vacations and take in as much food as possible. Congrats!

Today will be a true test for me. My mother wants to do lunch. So far I have had no cravings what so ever no issues!.. but going out to eat for the first time might trigger some cravings. Luckily even before this I would get salads most of the time so hopefully we go somewhere with good salads :]

Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #44  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsleymom View Post

As far as being a size 0 and feeling 'too skinny'. Remember a size 0 today was really a 4 not too many years ago. When I got married I wore a 4 or a 6 from stores like J Crew or Banana Republic, but my wedding dress (which is based on pattern sizes and not vanity sizes) was a size 10!
This is so true. Unfortunately, most people don't realize that, so size 0 has become this horrible demonized thing when it's really quite ok for people with small frames to be that size. I wish people and/or the media would just mind their own business and not comment on the size of others' without being asked!
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #45  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Dress sizes

Clothing sizes are one of my (many) pet peeves. If you're interested, the 1981 standard clothing measurements are available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size

It is enlightening to look at the table near the bottom, titled "conversion from catalog sizes," which now applies to the majority of bricks-and-mortar retailers as well. There is a 3-dress-size difference between the size on the label and the size it SHOULD be, based on body measurements. The size 0 (and 00) is an artifact of the last 10-15 years. There didn't used to be a size 0 because ONLY CHILDREN were smaller than a true size 2 (bust 32, waist 22, hips 33), and they wore children's sizes (see the girls' size chart).
All this is to say that, not only should you not feel guilty about being a size 0, that size is actually as big or bigger than a "true" size 6 used to be.

The worst part of all the vanity sizing (and it's ALL vanity sizing now), is that there is no consistency. One retailer's 4 is another's 8, and the only way to know what size you need is to try it on. Ugh.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote