Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 05:33 PM   #46  

All of you looking for a heart rate monitor without a cheststrap...I just ordered one online last week. I haven't gotten it yet, but it's a wrist watch. It can also tell how many calories you burn during an activity. It can't tell you basal matabolism, but that's easy enough to figure. The brand is Mio. I'm not sure of the site I found it on. I just did a search on yahoo. It uses sensors on your wrist rather than your chest. I found it in a magazine (either fitness, self or shape) then just poked around till I found it. There was also a few reviews. It's not 100% accurate, but a lot more than my fingers and a clock! It's not all that cheesy looking either. I'll have to give a review once I get it.

I probably won't get a chance to post until Tuesday, so have a great weekend everyone! I'll think of you as I'm lugging shopping bags through shopping center after glorious shopping center!

Meredith
Old 07-19-2001, 07:00 PM   #47  

Default quick check-in

I did go for a power walk at lunch, but I soooo wanted to run off some work stress . (Sherryi - thanks for the smiley instruction ). We walked at a good pace though so I guess it counts....

Saggy - have a great kickboxing workout!

Meredith - have fun shopping. We'll be looking forward to a full report next week!

Morrigan - sooooo???? how was golf?????

Tomorrow morning I will be at the Y swimming at 5:30 a.m. NO MATTER WHAT! Then MAYBE I'll sneak in a run at lunch???

take 'r e.z.
Old 07-19-2001, 07:52 PM   #48  

Hi everyone. I haven't posted yet this week. I have done really good with my exercising all week. Thank goodness for having a backyard pool and the weather to go with it. I've swam everyday and also done abs and arm weights or leg exercises. My eating hasn't been so good since Saturday though. All of a sudden I've had a sweet tooth. I've got to nip it in the bud. I think it may be because we didn't shop last week and we are down to just boring apples. If I had some good in season fruit I think I would do better. Well - tomorrow night we shop so I won't have that excuse. Luckily, I have maintained my weight and not gained.

Justdoit - Welcome to the thread! I can relate to your strategy of trying to work out- shooting for mornings, then lunch and then whatever you can fit in if you miss out on the other two. I have a hard time getting up and right now it's too hot to do it at lunch. In the fall my daughter will be in an afterschool latchkey program right at the YMCA (they will bus them there when school is out) so I can arrive for a quick personal workout and then take her to the pool so we can both get some fitness time. Glad to hear you got in a good walk today.

Meredith: Sounds like you've been doing pretty good with your workouts. I am glad your brother did so well in his musical. That's definitely worth missing the workout. Have fun on your shopping trip. Doesn't all that walking and carrying shopping bags count as a workout? The more you buy the more calories you burn carrying it around!

Saggy: Congratulations on your 4 pound loss and doing so well at the party you went to!

Morrigan: Sounds like you've been getting some good exercise. How was the golf? My husband LOVES golf. He golfed 4 times this week but usually only twice. I don't golf - I stay home with the DD.

Sherryi: Welcome! I also love to walk but know what you mean about the heat. My favorite exercises are ones where you don't sweat like walking in moderate weather or on a treadmill in airconditioning, swimming & yoga. Sounds like we have something in common. My DH and I vacationed near Ashville a lont time ago. My aunt & uncle lived there. We drove around a lot in the mountains there and did some walking. It was pretty there.

Copperblu: Sorry you haven't felt so good lately. I really admire how dedicated you are to working out and I know you will be back on track soon!

Marvin: How'd things go at the market?

Dena: Hi! So how do you like the Bodyflex/Oxycise? I've heard of Oxycise but don't know much about it.

Well, I have to go. I want to get out to the pool for a while. For some unknown reason, my lower back started hurting at work today so bad I could barely walk. It feels better after taking some ibuprofen but I want to be careful in the pool so I will probably be just floating around instead of losing calories. It was kind of hard replying and looking over all the posts I've missed this week so forgive me if I missed anyone or got something mixed up.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:04 PM   #49  

Hi Everyone!

I just got back from the gym. Whew! 45 minutes on the treadmill, 20 minutes on the machines. I also did Body Flex and went for a walk this morning. I'm determined to tone up this body before my birthday next Friday. I bought this great black skimpy dress because my hubby and I are going out dancing that night and I wanna look "hot" for the occasion.LOL Talk about motivation! (Morrigan, I'm gonna fit into that dress and you'll fit into your pants.)

I want to thank Marvin, copperblu, Sherryi and Jusdoit for sharing with me the importance of being organized and making lists. It really has helped me from being overwhelmed and is so encouraging to know I'm not the only one doing that.LOL Thanks again.

Meredith, thanks for explaining Pilates. Sounds great!

That's what I like about this board. We all have so much in common and can learn so much from each other. We are all really trying to be our best, and it really takes work, doesn't it? But the results of our efforts are really paying off each day!

Sorry I don't have time to post to everyone today. I'm kinda short on time (in spite of trying to be organized). Let's keep up the great work, team! And that's what we are... a wonderful, healthy fit team!
(Hugs),
Dena

Last edited by Dena; 07-19-2001 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:51 PM   #50  

Stamper, we must have been posting at the same time. About Body Flex, I like it a lot. It's really simple, only takes about 15 minutes and I feel so energized when I'm through. It's interesting because I do it first thing in the morning, with my eyes half shut but when I'm done I'm wide awake, so I know something is working. It's a combo of yoga and breathing exercises. You hold your breath while tightening certain muscles. I've only been at this for a few days now, but the end result should be less inches. Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for.LOL
Old 07-19-2001, 10:19 PM   #51  

Hey guys, I need to gripe. Everyone at kickboxing class is like 125 pounds. I hate being the only chub there. even though I keep up and have no problem with the workout I just feel out of place sometimes. Especially tonight, I got stuck in front of a mirror which I hate. Can't stand watching my body jiggle. Oh well, I guess I can't let those skinnies keep me from a good workout. Thanks for letting me complain!

Saggy
Old 07-20-2001, 12:52 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Golf was fun - my partner was gone - so I brought I friend (her dad and my uncle are best friends) and she is on the Varsity golf team at the high school. It is a scramble and it worked out great. We had an awesome score - due to her long drives and my good chips and back to her good puts (at least I contributed something). And since I was golfing with a 16 year old - no wine! Which means I came in at 1711 calories for the day - higher than my plan, but still reasonable. So I can count today as a good day food wise and go on to Day #8 of my latest streak - a new streaking record for me.

I am just a beginner golfer, but those really good shots make it all worthwhile. I hit a 5 iron a long, long way over water and landed on the green about 4 feet from the hole - it was really cool.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:21 AM   #53  

Morrigan, Very impressive ---hitting a long drive with a 5 iron. I'm not a big fan of the irons. They feel too short for me. If I could , I would play the whole time with my 3 wood and putter. For some reason the 3 wood seems to be the only club I can truly hit with.

Today's exercise plan: Firm upper body with weights video
Step aerobics tape

I'm going swimming at a friend's house today, but that consists of us laying out and then just bobbing in the water.

Have a good day all!
Saggy
Old 07-20-2001, 09:05 AM   #54  

Morrigan-Congrats on 15 days of exercising--you are the workout QUEEN (not worthy) and golf game

Saggy--my gym is also very crowded right now. It is normally busy during Jan, Feb & Summer. Remember all those skinny girls are probably 20 & can eat anything they want & it does catch up sooner or later & we all had to start out someplace

JustDoIt-Great job on the power walk.

Stamper- about you not wanting to sweat like me. I do love yoga and am just getting into power yoga. I'm jealous of your swimming pool. We're going to start building our dream house soon and I can't wait to put my very own swimming pool in.

Dena--WOW--what a great workout you probably had. I'm sure you will look great for your birthday. I will say HAPPY BIRTHDAY now b/c I will be on vacation starting next Thursday.

Okay my confesstion time. I didn't exercise yesterday but did something I'm sure we all hate worse than exercising. I cleaned my house for 2 hours yesterday instead of going to the gym. I don't get in cleaning moods very often & had to take advantage of them when they hit.

Today I plan on step class & weights at gym.

I'm blessed with a job where I can surf almost all day right now b/c it is a slow time. I will check back later.

Have a great weekend all!
Old 07-20-2001, 11:55 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Default Day 16 exercise streak / Day 8 dieting streak

It is so great to so us all working out every day. I LOVE THIS THREAD!

I rode my bike to town today (50 minutes - it took me longer than usual because it was really windy and I was against the wind). I am going to PT (1.5 hours of weights for my right leg) and then to the gym with my DH (I love it so much when he gets a day off) for arm weights and my left leg. I am going to eat good today too.
Old 07-20-2001, 12:12 PM   #56  

I did pretty good last night. I worked for five hours, on my feet the whole time. I also drank 2 liters of water during my shift. I did some yoga to relax before bed. I did have a major binge though. I had eaten soooo healthy all day, then I bombed. I had a candy bar, 2 giant handfuls of Better Cheddars, and a bowl of frosted mini wheats. I felt bad afterwards, but what can you do. Today, I figured all of my calories for yesterday and I still managed to stick around 1600 even with the nosh-fest. I did get a lot of veggies in, I should just quit feeling guilty and get on with life. I just feel so rotten when I do stuff like that. I know I've gained this week. I could pawn it off to stress and such, but life is always stressful, I just need to learn to control myself. On the plus side, I never feel guilty enough to throw it up. I've had my share of problems in my life, but I would never have an eating disorder. OK, I'm rambling. I'm going to enjoy my vacation, try to resist temptation and get in some good exercise. Talk to you later!
Old 07-20-2001, 12:15 PM   #57  

Default FRIDAY!!!!!!

Hi Ya'll! I did it! I got up at 5:00 and was at the Y by 5:30 swimming. It felt great. I swam just over a mile and then did some kicking drills. Whenever I'm swimming I always say to myself, "why don't I do this more often, it feels so good?" Anyway, I feel like I'm back on track. I even plan on going for a run on my lunch hour (the boss is gone so time is on my side ).

Stamper - I am so, so jealous of your pool. We plan on selling our house in 4 years when my step-daughter graduates from high school and buying our retirement home with a pool (not that we'll actually be retired by then). That sounds great that you'll be at the Y with your daughter. Not only a good workout for you, but also great quality time with dd .

Dena - You're gonna look awesome in that little black dress! My birthday is next Thurs 7/26 - I'll be 40 (YIKES!). My husband and I are going to Santa Barbara for 4 days. It'll be my first overnight away from my 1 year-old (yes, I'm an OLD mom). AND we plan on working on another while we're there .

Saggy - Your kickboxing workout sounds great. While you're doing it try to change your perspective from worrying about how you look, to focusing on your moves and feeling strong. I get self-conscious when I go to the gym to lift weights, but I notice that when I really focus on what I'm doing and sort of pretend I'm alone, I get a much better workout then when I'm worrying about what other people are thinking or how they look compared to me. YOU'RE STRONG AND BEAUTIFUL!

Morrigan - CONGRATULATIONS on a successful day 7. YOU GO GIRL .

Sherryi - 2 hours of cleaning is DEFINITELY a workout. I bet you were sweating, right? Enjoy your step and weights today!

I'll let you all know if I actually follow through with my lunchtime run

Cat
Old 07-20-2001, 12:20 PM   #58  

Default Hey Meredith

We were posting at the same time. I definitely don't consider 1600 calories a bad day by any means. I will confess that last night I had 2 glasses of wine with dinner and an ice cream sandwich and 3 oreos after dinner..... However, for the time being I am trying to concentrate more on the workouts than food. Although I am trying to do well with both. Have a great day and a fresh start .
Old 07-20-2001, 12:43 PM   #59  

Wow! So much activity! I'm about to run out the door, so I don't have time for a real post, but I just wanted to check in + say hi -- and I'll have to update + respond to y'all on Monday! Have a great weekend!
Old 07-20-2001, 03:31 PM   #60  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Wink

Holy Mackerel! Look at us go!

Congrats to all of you on your successes! I am very proud of all of you!

My market went fairly well, so I'm happy about it, but was up way too late last night afterwards! I am paying the price now!!!!

Anyway, ITA about having a daily thread! We're almost at 60 posts for this one! It's great, but really hard to keep up with!

I'll be going over to Curves after work (only 2.5 hours to go!)

Have a great weekend!
Closed Thread