Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 07:02 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Default A good workout - but I was a bit sleepy through the whole thing

There are so many posts! This place is hopping! I did cardio and weights today and burned 625 calories (35 minute treadmill, 30 minutes bike, 5 minutes row, 1 hr of weights at gym, 1:15 minutes of knee exercises at PT). I am eating good and I finally hit 150 lbs this morning!!!!!

Sherryi I used to work out whereveer when I was just trying to get a bit of exercise in every day: swimming at the beach, riding my bike to town, walking at the HS track, etc... Last Saturday I started lifting weights - and for that I have been going to the gym.

meredith Whenever I have a skip out day I do 50 crunches before bed, that way I can always say I did something!

justdoit I am glad you came out of lurkerdom. I have always been an exercise procrastinator, expecially when I am busy with my job and family stuff. Coming here to log in what I do everyday really helps motivate me to keep it up. I hope it will do the same for you!

Pearl Harbor was better than I expected - it was actually two movies in one - an hour long cheesy love story with heros and such - then 45 minutes of war - then back to cheesy love story - a bit more war and over. It was like 3 hours. The love story was good (Danny (one of the pilots) was HOT!), the war scene was spectacular - but the whole movie came off a bit disjointed.

I have never tried a heart moniter - but I think they are great from everything I have heard about them - and you can really increase your calorie burn by keeping your heart rate up for losing weight.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:23 PM   #32  

Hi Everyone!

I just came back from the gym and am feeling really good. I decided to report in right after my workout before I start dinner, so I know I'll stay on track today. This morning I did my Body Flex tape, then went for a walk and this afternoon I spent 1 1/2 hrs. at the gym. I got on the treadmill for 46 minutes and worked out on the machines the rest of the time. I'm organizing my time more, so I can do these things and get my work done, too. Who knew I could get all this stuff accomplished?LOL

I believe when I start blowing my diet, it's because I'm overwhelmed with everything... not enough time to get everything done. So a little organization here and there helped me loads today. Let's hope I can continue this plan.LOL

Copperblu, I know exactly what you mean about missing one workout and feeling like you're recovering from a loooong slump. I actually have to drag myself to the gym and just make myself get on the treadmill. I also feel sheepish and embarrassed... like everyone at the gym knows I didn't come in the day before. (They probably didn't come either.LOL) After my workout is over, however, I feel super! Of course, I'm not sure if it's because I'm done or because of all the endorphins.LOL

Morrigan, the only way I can get into any meditative state when I'm exercising is by getting lost in the music. Thank God the speaker is close to me when I'm on the treadmill, because I can keeping going and going, just like the energizer bunny. When the songs are bad, however, I snap out of my trance.LOL

Saggy, I love your exercise schedule! Do you like kickboxing? Is it something like Tae Bo? I was into Tae Bo a lot last year. Maybe I should dust off my old video.LOL

Welcome, Sheryl and Justdoit! I'm new, too. The gals here are very supportive and motivational!! This is an absolutely great thread!!

Meredith, tell me more about Pilates. It sounds interesting.

Well, it's time for me to cook dinner.
Let's all keep working out.
(Hugs),
Dena
Old 07-18-2001, 10:05 PM   #33  

Hey Meredith! I was in Minneapolis with my husband in June. He was there on business and I went along for the ride. I did some shopping at the Boston Store and a mall that was connected to it.
We were only there for 2 days so we didn't get to do too much, but I enjoyed my time there.

Saggy
Old 07-19-2001, 07:57 AM   #34  

Happy Thursday all!

Morrigan--Great job in the workout and eating. I do great with my exercise but eating is another story.

Saggy-I think Hilton Head is 3-4 hours from Charleston but not sure. I haven't been there in years. If you come to Charleston, go downtown to the market for some shopping & they have some great restaurants down there--Bocci's for Italian to name one & bring your shades, shorts and suncreen--it is so HOT & HUMID here. Be safe traveling.

JustDoIt about your post. Maybe you could say you will just workout 3 days a week instead of 6. I had set unrealistic workout schedule for myself and had to modify it to fit my real life. I tell myself I have to workout at least 3 times a week but always end up working out more when I don't have to

Meredith--Be safe traveling. WOW--12 hours of shopping--I'm jealous but don't think I could keep up anyways. I noticed The Four Agreements is your sig--I have them posted to my computer

Dena-Planning is the key. I wish I planned out my meals better and actually liked to cook

Last night I did weights & cardio at the gym. Today is interval step with light weights. Interval is 5-10 step and 5 mins weights. It really shows instant results and keeps me pumped up!!!!!

Have a GREAT Thursday all!
Old 07-19-2001, 10:34 AM   #35  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Thumbs down

Wow! It took me forever to read all the new posts!

Welcome to Sherryi and JusDoIt! I know that you'll fit in great here....

Copperblu! I would love to get your recipes! Post em soon, kay? And the dentist was great this time, thanks for asking! Look, , no cavities!

Morrigan ~ I do kinda know what you mean about that zone, although it doesn't happen to me very often... I wish it would though! What a benefit!

Sherryi ~ I've thought about a heratrate monitor as well. It's for a different reason though! I have one heck of a time counting my heart beats while there is music playing! I guess I'm easily distracted! Every time I try, somehow my heart beats end up beating in time to the music!!!!

Saggy ~ Golfing last night was great! I had a very good game, which was surprising since it's the first time I've swung a club this year! The weather was beautiful, and a few times, I felt my heartrate climb with all the walking, so I'm happy about that!

jusdoit ~ I know exactly what you mean about struggling in the morning..... I have to be at work at 7, so if I want to go swimming, I have to be up at 5 to get to the pool by 6, then a half hour to swim and off to work.... I have never been much of a morning person, but like Copperblu says, as long as you roll out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off, you should be ok...it's when you linger that you get into trouble... so don't think about it ~ just roll out of bed! Now here's the pot calling the kettle black!

To Be Continued....
Old 07-19-2001, 10:35 AM   #36  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

(The board wouldn't let me post such along post with all the smilies and stuff, so I had to split it in two!)

Meredith! 12 hours of shopping! Take me, take me! I realized yesterday morning when I was searching for some nice clothes to wear golfing, that I need to go shopping in a serious way! My work is very casual ~ jeans, tshirts.... so I don't really have very much in the way of "nice" stuff..... Of course this gives me the perfect excuse to go to the mall!

Dena ~ ITA about the organization helping! As long as my entire day is planned, I have a much better chance of getting everything done. I keep a little notebook in my purse, and have a page for each day, so I can keep a list and cross things off as I get them done. This takes care of errands, cleaning, cooking, everything! Without that notebook, I'd forget everything!

My Update:
I'm not going to have time to get to Curves today, what with the farmer's market after work, but I do plan on doing a short yoga workout at lunch.... Wish me luck at the market!

See ya later!
Old 07-19-2001, 10:41 AM   #37  

Wow! I think next week we might have to start new threads for each day!

Welcome Jusdoit!
I didn't think your post was boring at all! I know what you're talking about with everything getting in your way to keep you from getting in a workout! Sometimes it seems like the forces of the universe (or just our choices from the day before ) are against us!
I find that just a glass or 2 of wine will leave me sleepy in the mornings too -- and I do like my wine! But I can't have it during the week anymore, or I'll never get up do to my workout!

Saggy: Hilton Head sounds great! I've always wondered about going, but it's too far for just a long weekend trip for us, and that seems to be the only kind of trip we've been making lately.
Yeah, PMS -- my PMS/TOM made me eat a brownie last night! I had SUCH a craving, I thought I'd go mad! I can't wait 'til this is over!!

Meredith: Have fun w/your mom! And while we definitely should try to get out of a slump before it becomes a lifestyle, don't worry about it too much -- we all have bad weeks!

Morrigan: What a workout!! And congrats on hitting 150! That hard work's paying off, eh?

Dena: Nice to see you! Sounds like you're doing great!! Organization helps a LOT, though sometimes I sure do get tired of chopping up my fruit + picking out my clothes + getting everything ready the night before!

Sherryi: Congrats on getting your workout in! I think you're right about setting a minimum that you think you can meet -- that way you don't feel bad when you don't have an "Ironwoman" week, and you're always trying to beat your minimum, because then you did "more." It's a good system!

my update:
Well, I'm sorry to report that I didn't make it to the gym for my weights this morning. Would NOT get out of bed. I just don't have the hang of fitting in my workouts during PMS/TOM week yet! Sigh. At least I'm getting some workouts in (Sun, Mon, Wed) -- for a few months there, I'd end up just having a whole skipped week, because I'd just feel too tired + blah to workout after work (which is when I was exercising at the time), and before I knew it, I'd have skipped almost every workout that week! Maybe I can convince DH to go with me this evening + try to make it up.
The strangest thing, I think, is that for a self-confessed cardio hater, it's my weights workouts I've been skipping this week. Very strange!
Old 07-19-2001, 10:45 AM   #38  

Cross posted w/Marvin AGAIN!

Will post those recipes ASAP! I'll try to remember to bring them in tomorrow, so I can type them up.
And youve got it -- it was the LINGERING that did me in!! If I hadn't paused for that second after shutting off the alarm... argh!
Glad to hear the dentist's went well! I SO have to make an appointment -- I haven't been for YEARS.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:00 AM   #39  

Marvin--I just got my first golf lesson last week and plan another one in a few weeks from DF. I have to learn all the basics first before I attempt to play a game. I have walked it with my finace' before and I know what you mean about hard work.

Copperblu-Don't beat yourself up; just pick yourself up and get back on track. I'm a cardio lover & am trying to become the weight lifting queen

Only 6 more days until my vacation We're going to the mountains near Ashville, NC. I will probably exercise almost everyday on vacation b/c my soon to be sister-in-law and I go swimming everyday and take yoga classes & go walking after meals. The weather will be perfect also.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 07-19-2001, 11:37 AM   #40  

WOW - We are a busy place!

I am going to do lots of cardio today and abs. I think I am going to do ab stuff every day with the cardio. They don't seem to need a day of rest like my arms always do.

What I was saying about zoning out - is that I don't think it is that good for my goal of working out harder and burning calories. I am going through the motions - but my heart rate just isn't there. Of course - I can go for a long time - which probably compensates, but I want to do more intense exercise.

Another problem is that my knee is still not 100%. I tried jogging, but it became pretty swollen - so my PT nixed that for another week or so. I still can't run. I am not supposed to kick vigorously in the pool. I can ride up hill now, but only on spin cycle, not pushing really hard. The stair master works pretty good - but i have to do it backwards and it hurts a bit if I go too deep. I guess I am just going to have to be satisfied with low intensity workouts until I get a little bit better. It is hard to believe that 5 months after surgery my knee is still swollen all the time. The doctor said that should disappear about 9-12 months out.

I sound so whiney. I shouldn't be complaining. I am doing way better every week.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:19 PM   #41  

Default today's excuse.....

Wow, we are definitely hopping on here! Let me start by saying I haven't figured out all the cool icons and other tools, so for now my posts will probably look pretty lifeless....

Meredith - You made the right choice going to your little bro's play. I'm sure he really appreciated it too. I've heard that's a great play and hope to see it next time it comes around. Good luck with your power shopping!!!

Morrigan - You're workouts are truly INSPIRING! I know what you mean about the intensity issue. I tend to also get into a comfort zone and not want to come out. When I run with my husband his pace is a bit more erratic which helps because we'll have bursts of faster pace running that will get the heart rate up (which is why i HATE running with him....if I could use the icons I'd throw in a winking smiley here). Best of luck with Thursday's golf and wine adventure!

Dena - You are another awesome worker-outer. I gotta get my butt in gear. I also agree with you about the organization. There's nothing worse than having my stuff all packed for an early morning swim only to see it sitting there untouched as I get ready for work. Ugh!

Sherryi - That interval step class sounds great. I appreciate your advice about a more realistic goal than 6 days a week to start. I will definitely give that some more thought. My theory is that if I say 6 days, I may at least do 4 or 5.... We'll see. Good luck with the golf!

Marvin - Gee, we seem to have a few golfers around here. My husband and I have been talking about taking lessons, but so far just talk. You are absolutely right about the a.m. hesitation killing us! "He who hesitates is lost." The snooze alarm is my worst enemy. Yoga sounds wonderful! Enjoy it and good luck at the farmer's market.

Copperblu - That's a good idea about not drinking during the week......if only I could heed to your advice....I can't help it I live in California where you can get really good wines at reasonable prices.... Don't worry about not getting up this a.m. to workout. I know PMS/TOM can wreak havoc on our best laid plans. Get the rest your body is craving and tomorrow you'll feel fresh and ready for an even better workout.

I guess that brings me to my confession for the day. I got up at 5:10 a.m., got dressed for the Y, had a cup of coffee (a must for me) and was headed out the door - motivated to make a fresh start. That's when I heard her.....my baby girl was crying in her crib. My DH was in the shower and had to get to the office early. There was nothing I could do.....REALLY! I had to rescue her. She never went back to sleep so there went my workout. Now I'm at work and I have plans to go for a power walk with my girlfriend at lunch. She's an avid walker so it really is a workout. I'll even have to shower afterward (smiley face here...).

It's great to read all your posts! I'll check back after lunch and let you know that I DID GO FOR THAT POWER WALK!

Later gators.....

Last edited by jusdoit; 07-19-2001 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2001, 12:23 PM   #42  

Wow! started posting then had to take care of some work, came back and there's a billion new posts! This is great!

First of all, here's my update: Last night I got in about 30 minutes of Pilates. I think it was Dena that asked about Pilates. It's my new favorite thing. It's more or less strength training but instead of using weights or bands, you use the resistance of your body. Basically, you concentrate on your powerhouse (abs, obliques, and back) and also work on your shoulders, arms, legs, and butt. It is pretty similar to yoga in that you use these great stretches and really concentrate on breathing. It also does a lot with balance. After even a short workout, you feel 2 inches taller and your posture is vastly improved. I haven't been doing it very long, but in this terrible heat and humidity I've really taken to inside activities. I also worked at the video store for 5 hours. I really enjoyed it. By the end of the night, I could feel it in my feet all the way up to my butt. I'm not used to standing so much.

Tonight will basically be the same routine. I'm also going on a power walk this afternoon. When I'm stressed at work, I walk out the door and up a giant hill. I probably look like a dork, but I pump my arms and power up the four blocks, then turn around and "coast" down. It gets all my stress out, then cools my head off on my way back in the office. The rest of the afternoon I have a nice tingle in my body and I can concentrate better. It's really busy here today, I'm just now taking my morning break at 11:20.

I'm all geared up to go shopping. This is just supposed to be a little conference but my mom and I have turned it into a mini-vacation...which we both really need. I better get going. One of these days I will shut up and be able to have time for individual posts. Yup, any day now!
Old 07-19-2001, 01:30 PM   #43  

Morrigan--I know what you mean about just going through the routine. I try to do something different every time I work out so I don't get bored.

My favorite exericse is walking and I'm jealous of all the walkers. It is too hot here to do anything outside except power walk to my air conditioned car

JustDoIt-next time you post and see the smilies to the left just click on the one you want and it will show up I hope your power walk went well.

Meredith-I LOVE pilates. Do you do a video? I have been using Denise Austin's Pilates video and a hard core conditioning video.

I love posting here--it is so motivating.

Any suggestions on me eating better? I have the exercise down pat but not the eating.
Old 07-19-2001, 02:50 PM   #44  

Default Today is my 15th consecutive day of exercising!

I use dietwatch to keep track of my calories. It is kind of a pain to do every day - but it keeps me on the straight and narrow. I try for around 1400 or less.

I meant to exercise more today - but I started feeling really hungry and sort of light headed (probably too much caffiene today) - so I pooped out and came home early.

30 minutes stationary bike
10 minutes stairmaster
90 crunches

And tonight I am golfing 9 holes (I use a cart - so it isn't that much walking.)

Last edited by morrigan; 07-19-2001 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-19-2001, 03:24 PM   #45  

Hi guys! This thread is bumpin' today. Looks like everyone is getting in a great workout . Since it is so miserably humid today I only plan on going to kickboxing class tonight for 60 minutes. Wish I belonged to a gym, but the YMCA is always too crowded and I'm sure I would run into the parents of the kids I teach. It's bad enough when they corner me for 15 minutes at Krogers!

Morrigan- Hope you get a hole in one tonight (or at least make par!)

Have a good one!
Saggy
Closed Thread