Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Finished W3D1 last night. I've been running in my cross trainers and after the first few minutes my knee hurts less than at the start, and so far doesn't hurt any more than usual. Weird, but I'll take it. Still only running once per week.

BigChiefHoHo - I would count that effort as complete and move on!

KarinRose - I ran with a knee brace for awhile, it did seem to help a little but I found the brace uncomfortable. I recently switched my shoes and now run without the brace. Like YoAdrian, I have a non-knee problem that causes knee pain (recovering from ruptured achilles).
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 165/124/115

Height: 5' 5"

Finished W7D2 last night

I don't think I have ever sweated so much I ran on the treadmill and it was a little warmer in the house than normal because crazy NC weather can't decide if it's going to be spring or winter so we keep going back and forth between heat and air conditioning. It was cooler over the last few days so the heat was on, but it ended up being a warm day yesterday

Just like W7D1, I ran a little over the 25 min to make it an even 2 miles. I went a *little* faster in the beginning so I didn't have to run very long after the 25 min to hit the 2 mile mark. Last time I ran a minute longer, this time it was only like 20 seconds, so yay for a little bit of speed progress

Total distance with 5 min warm up and cool down was 2.50 exactly.

I really hope to one day be able to run 3 miles in 30 min, but I can't see me ever being that fast
justrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #153  

Greetings all! W3D2 done. Those 3 min segments are killer... but kind of fun!

KarinRose, I discovered my ankle/knee issue kind of by accident. I was having some major shin splints, and was doing ankle exercises. I think someone suggested to me that I could still run with shin splints but it would be more comfortable if I taped my ankle. So, I did, and it really helped... not only with the shin splints, but with the knee pain too. (I'm not a doctor, but I suspect those issues are all related to my ridiculous overpronation on the right side.) I haven't been taping my ankle in this round because these runs are all relatively short, but I may start doing so if I feel pain. Also, I have been lacing my right shoe a little tighter and I think that is helping. It probably gives the stability shoes a better chance of doing their job. Anyway - I hope you find a solution that works for you. Ankle and knee pain is no fun!

justrunning, it sound like you are well on your way to being faster if you want. Don't sell yourself short -- if you can run 2 miles in a little over 25 min, then that must mean you are running a 12:30-13 min/mile pace. 10 min per mile is definitely within reach. I have faith in you!!
YoAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #154  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

BigChiefHoho: aw, glad to hear your little one's better too! Someone told me I was being "overprotective" yesterday as a new parent, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Against my better judgment, I went for a little bit last night. Didn't use the app; I just alternated between walking and running for each lap around the neighborhood, which meant I walked 3/4ths of a mile and ran for half a mile. This whole 85+ degrees after sunset is going to get annoying fast, lol. Anyway, I'm doing ok today, still a little under the weather though. I guess I'm sort of afraid of losing my progress as I don't want W4D3 and beyond to be a struggle.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #155  

Question Any thoughts???

Completed W7D3 last night!

I used a new app along with C25K; Nike+. Anyone use this app? Either it was wayyy off or my treadmill is way off and I am leaning more towards the app being off because of the pace and distance being so wacky.

The app had my distance from warm up to cool down as 5.43 miles. In 35 min 26 sec. at a pace of 6 min 30 sec/mile....yea, i wish!

I know there are lots of runners who use the Nike+ app, both treadmill and outside runners, is it common for it to be this far off? I am pretty confident i did not run that fast or that far. I wish i could.

I like the app, but I do hope it is more accurate and something wonky happened last night. This is the app I am/was planning to use to map my runs both inside and outside when I venture out of my comfort zone and start running outdoors. But I want it to be accurate.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #156  

W3D3 done. I am sort of dreading Week 4. I think I am going to have to drop down my pace if I want to hang for 5 minutes... we'll see! My weight is pretty much staying under 170, and it feels good to be in the 160s, although it is not dropping off as fast as I would like. * sigh *

justrunning, I have used the Nike+ app with great success outdoors. Never used it on a treadmill. Outdoors, I find it is pretty precise -- I used to run the same 5K route every day, and knew the quarter-mile marks by heart, and the Nike+ app always got me within a few feet of them. That said, it can be wonky for very short distances -- every now and then it will give me something crazy for a quarter-mile split -- but it seems to even out over several miles. I probably wouldn't consider it accurate for distances under one mile, but as you start to do longer runs, it will be more reliable. I definitely would not trust it on the treadmill.
YoAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #157  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
W3D3 done. I am sort of dreading Week 4. I think I am going to have to drop down my pace if I want to hang for 5 minutes... we'll see! My weight is pretty much staying under 170, and it feels good to be in the 160s, although it is not dropping off as fast as I would like. * sigh *

justrunning, I have used the Nike+ app with great success outdoors. Never used it on a treadmill. Outdoors, I find it is pretty precise -- I used to run the same 5K route every day, and knew the quarter-mile marks by heart, and the Nike+ app always got me within a few feet of them. That said, it can be wonky for very short distances -- every now and then it will give me something crazy for a quarter-mile split -- but it seems to even out over several miles. I probably wouldn't consider it accurate for distances under one mile, but as you start to do longer runs, it will be more reliable. I definitely would not trust it on the treadmill.
Thanks for answering according to the treadmill, I ran 2 miles and total distance with warm up and cool down was 2 1/2 miles. Maybe I'll save the app for after I 'graduate' and work up the nerve to run outside. I'm running again tomorrow so I may give it one more try on the treadmill and see what happens, because I'm stubborn
Old 04-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #158  
Nuttin to it but to do it

S/C/G: 270/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6''

Good job everyone! Keep up the great work!

My knee has recovered, but I was diagnosed with the seasonal Flu on Thursday (wtf, it's April?!?!) so doctor says I have to wait to exercise off another week or two. :-(. Not sure if I'll be able to start back at end of week 2 or back at the beginning. Will make it work either way.
KarinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #159  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

Did w6d1 yesterday, and it went really well! I did my running intervals at a 12:00 pace, but sped up to 10:00 pace for the last tenth of a mile. It actually felt really good! I'm excited for w6d2 tomorrow. I think that's the last interval run, though, which is a little scary. I don't know how I feel about the transition to nothing but long runs.

I'm getting close to the end of the program now, so I'm trying to think of what to do next. Has anyone here tried Bridge to 10k before? Or any other slightly-more-advanced training programs? I'd love to hear suggestions.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 255/208/??

Height: 5'4"

Well y'all, I have officially finished the C25K program.

My son and I ran a Relay For Life Glow 5K last night which just happened to be the final run of the program and we rocked it (for us anyway). We finished in just under 38 min, ran the whole thing. It was a blast!! We're gonna take it easy this coming week, run one more week of easy runs then start into training for a 10K this fall.

If you're considering running in an organized event, go for it! I was too intimidated/embarrassed to run in a race last time I was running. Then I got injured and it occurred to me during my recovery that I may never work my way back to being able to run. Luckily, I am running again and this time I'm not worried about being too slow, or old, or fat. I'm happily crossing things off my bucket list.

The great thing is I wasn't the slowest, oldest or fattest runner. Even if I had been, no one there cared. Everyone was either focused on running their own race or encouraging others running theirs. It was a great experience and I'm really looking forward to more races.

Hope everyone is still running. Stick with it! I'm amazed at how well C25K works. 9 weeks ago I couldn't run 1/4 mile. Last night my son and I ran 3.1 miles. You can all do it, just keep running!!
Tafadhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #161  

This cold ended up hitting me pretty hard, and got the hubby too (who rarely gets sick)! I'm debating whether or not I want to do W4D3 tonight; I'm still congested, but feeling better overall. I don't want to push myself too hard but I don't want to lose progress either. I might do what I did on my last run, just half a mile with 3/4 of a mile walking, then maybe I can get back to the program this coming week.

Getting sick again like this has been really frustrating, but I'm not about to give up. So many good things to look forward to by summer! I especially want to run my first 5k (maybe in another couple of months?) and get out of obesity . . . only 9 more pounds to go!
Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #162  

Completed W8D1 today!

My app somehow paused itself in the middle of my run, I ran 8 min before I noticed it was paused

BUT, I used that glitch to push myself and I ran longer than the 28 min, I kept running until I hit 3 miles and then I did a short cool down.

I ran 3 miles in just over 39 min. With my 5 min warm up and short cool down I finished W8D1 in 46 min 23 sec

I'm really proud of myself, I didn't realize I could run that long nonstop

I seriously can't believe I ran 3 miles without stopping
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #163  

I felt better than anticipated last night, so I went all-out on completing W4D3. It wasn't bad at all, even though I've still got a cough and it had been over a week since I did W4D2.

I could get used to this!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 206.8/168.9/115

Hey all!! I'm just starting the program, and I finished W2D1 yesterday on the treadmill, at a 2.0 incline and a speed of 5.5 ...I'm definitely stoked because I just increased my speed a smudge from 5.2 and increased the incline. I heard somewhere sometime that putting g a slight incline on the treadmill helps to mediate the effects of the "ground" moving for you- which makes your run easier. not sure if that's true but I do know that it hurts my legs a bit more with an incline! All good though....I'm feeling really good!
WannabeNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #165  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

Finished the program last week! I can run over 30 minutes but 5 km is still the goal.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote