Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #16  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Hi Awshucks! I often post in the 40s threads, but I try not to join too many cause I can't keep up, lol, but if you ever come over I'm generally there too.
I'm enjoying it so far, but to be honest, that's not very far. I did the first week and a half of c25k in my house, then started over outside- it's a lot harder on "real" ground. I've done two runs up in the forest and I'm reasonably proud of myself. The weather turned, yesterday, and it was cold and gross and drippy, but then I thought, "if I can get through it today, I'll have no excuses in the future (unless they are legitimate, lol)." I also have fairly traumatic memories of running, but that was kind of why I wanted to do it- to try it at my own pace and give myself a chance to suceed, because normally, I wouldn't even try for the bus!

Aaaaand- I had to run a block to get the bus last night and I caught it! Mwa ha ha ha ha, I own that bus now! The bus it MINE ha ha ha ha...

Hello Big Chief and Chattabox and everybody... I hope to see you often over the next several months
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #17  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Ugh - I tried to repeat W4D3 yesterday and just couldn't do it. It was a new treadmill, it was really different than the other ones I had been using. The speeds seem totally different, what felt like decent walking pace on the other one was 2.8-3.4 while the new one I was walking at 4.5-5.5 and jogging at 7. I should have a closer look at the settings today maybe. So many buttons to push!

Hope everyone else is keeping on keeping on!!!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

W1D2 down! I'm feeling good about completing this week on schedule and moving on to the next one. I was afraid I'd have to repeat the first few weeks, but I'm thinking that won't be an issue (until things get harder around week 5, anyway...).

lilmisschattabox - Good call on the breathing. I tried to focus on that today, and it helped quite a bit.

AwShucks - How'd your early morning workout go? I always hate getting up in the morning to exercise, but it makes me feel AWESOME for the rest of the day.

Magicsusan - I did mine outside today instead of on the treadmill, and you're totally right. MUCH harder! But it was also a lot easier for me to stay motivated and felt like it went by a bit faster because of the changing scenery. All in all, I'd say outside is better, I think.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #19  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Well, I lied. I did not run early this morning. We had freezing rain overnight and it was just too cold to get out of bed! But, I did the first run of week 5 tonight. I missed the beginning of my strength training class (most of the leg work) so I just went right on to the track afterward. My podcasts repeatedly say this is a mind game, and they're right -- you just gotta get through each step.

Rated How are you doing with week 5?

Magicsusan, Yay for catching that bus! Isn't it great that running can be put to good use!? I'm going to imagine your Swiss forest while I'm going round and round on the track at my gym.

Silverfire When my gym got new treadmills, I asked to see one of the manuals so I could figure things out. No one was there to explain things... how are we supposed to know how to use a new machine?!

lilmisschattabox Yay for Week 4! 9 weeks sounded like LONG time in the beginning, didn't it? We're about half way finished!

BigChiefHoho You're movin' on... week one will be over before you know it!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Magicsusan – That must be so nice running in the forest you must have some awesome scenery for your run; even if it is cold and drippy. Sometimes I feel so bored stuck on my treadmill.

Silverfire – That is tough not knowing the correct pace on a new treadmill. I have noticed even walking/jogging at a slightly faster pace than what I am used to really makes a difference near the end of the workout. At least now you know if you use that treadmill again to slow it down a bit.

BigChiefHoho – Congrats on finishing W1D2. Nothing wrong with repeating weeks (I have done it a few times), but it is so cool to see your body complete tasks you didn’t think were possible. I am sure you will continue to surprise yourself as you continue through the program.

AwShucks – I do not blame you for skipping the early run, especially a morning after freezing rain.. Good for you though not skipping it entirely and getting it done! What did you think of week 5 day 1?

I planned to reapeat W5D1 a few times but I didn’t find the three 5 min runs too bad so today I moved on to W5D2. It was HARD! The first 8 min section was okay but about 5 mins into the second 8 min section I thought I was going to die. I completed W5D2 but I don’t think I am ready for day 3 yet. I am going to repeat day 2 at least two more times so that I am better prepared for the 20 min run.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #21  
mossfootrunner!

Silverfire, I'm sorry about the dead i-pod; music and a little voice saying "run, now!" are a fantastic motivator. I always say "yes sir, drill sergeant" when the voice tells me to run. Don't worry, mostly I say it inside my head. I've never been on a treadmill- I find buttons really intimidating and am taking advantage of our lack of winter. Good luck figuring it out- I don't envy you!

BigChiefHoHo and AwwShucks, like I just told Silverfire, I've never even been on a treadmill. Running through the forest is the ultimate goal, anyway- but I want to be in good enough shape to enjoy it, lol. And you're right about motivation- I love looking at the moss and trees and stuff. I can totally see why a treadmill works for some people (convenience if you have small kids who are napping, no weather worries- because, as I said, we haven't had much of a winter. If I even *think* there might be ice on the ground, I am not going running) but at the moment, the forest is really working for me If I had had freezing rain, I would have been doing some exercises in the living room or waiting for it to clear up too!

And, Rated- I don't know how to post pictures here (other than my avatar) but it's really nice. Fresh air when you're struggling to inhale enough is goooood! Will you be able to run outside when the weather starts to behave? Meanwhile, I'm trying not to let your reports of week five scare me, lol

So, I just did week1, day3 today. I thought I was going to die, because I was so knackered and I hadn't even heard the voice that says "you're half was through" yet, so I pulled out my iphone and lo and behold, I just hadn't heard it! I only had one more one minute run to do and I did it!

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!

About breathing, though; it's not too much of a problem, but my left nostril slams shut if I inhale too hard, which doesn't help. I went to and ENT who said the surgery needed to correct it is pretty invasive, so I'm taking it easy and trying to improve my cardio capacity to the point where I'm not snorting air so much.

My other option is to wear one of those charming plastic thingies that keeps one's nostrils open. No.

Last edited by Magicsusan; 03-05-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Magicsusan - If your avatar is a picture of where you run I am very jealous it is so green! My favourite thing during the running sections is to look at my ipod and see that there is less time than I anticipated left makes me feel hopeful

I have thought about running outside once it warms up (-30 to -10 right now) but it is all dirt roads which get very muddy in the spring. I have signed up for a 5k so I want to have some practice running outside before since I know I will find that more difficult.

And don't let my reports of week 5 scare you. Honestly I have a love hate relationship with this program but seeing what I have been able to accomplish in such a short time amazes me! I can't believe the difference between now and week 1.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #23  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

On week 7 now. I have been taking my time, should have finished by now but happy to enjoy a week or bi weekly run as I love to walk and ride too.
Never thought I could run 25 minutes.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #24  

Haven't been able to get in a run yet this week. Met again with a trainer yesterday and by the time she was done with me, there was no way in h3ll I was going to run! I'm going to attempt a W4 repeat today.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #25  
I think I'm losing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated View Post
I planned to reapeat W5D1 a few times but I didn’t find the three 5 min runs too bad so today I moved on to W5D2. It was HARD! The first 8 min section was okay but about 5 mins into the second 8 min section I thought I was going to die.
It totally agree, Rated! W5D1's 5-minute runs were a piece of cake compared to the next day's 8-minute runs. I felt the same as you on W5D2. I actually had people say I looked tired when I was leaving the gym. I was beat! It was the first time I actually thought I might not be able to move in the morning. But, surprisingly, I felt really well today and had lots of energy.

I'm going to attempt the 20 minutes tomorrow night. Not sure I can do it, but then... I have felt that way before every new routine presented so far. We'll see. You guys are the first ones I'll tell if I make it! Or, I might shout it from the rooftops!

noshoes Way to go on running 25 minutes! Keep us posted on your progress. It will be nice to have advice from someone ahead of the pack.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #26  

Bah! I was all ready to do another repeat of W4, started the app and was on my way. About halfway through I realized I was on W5D2!!! OMG!! It was about 4 minutes into the 8 minute run that I just couldn't handle it anymore! I Might as well dive right in to W5D1 next week! I'm going to have to switch up my running days to offset training days I think. There is no way I will be able to both!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #27  
mossfootrunner!

Had a rather discouraging run today; various app misfunctions that resulted in my not hearing the voice prompts, so I was just sort of randomly walking and running, then, when I got that sorted, I didn't realize the app had re-selected the day! I was just thinking that the 90 seconds of week two didn't seem any longerthan the 60 on week one... I had done w1 d3 again instead of w2 d1

I ran a little extra and even uphill some, but I was already miserable because all I have to run in are capris, and it was freezing this morning, literally. I never managed to properly warm up and my calves felt tight and crampy. Pooh.

Rated, yes, that's my forest. I embrace the mud!

No shoes, lol on 25 minutes; I wouldn't survive 3 at this point, I don't think!

wow, Awwshucks. You're scaring me! I am going to be sooo thrashed when I get past week three!

Silverfire- I guess I'm not the only one with app problems. Mine seems to refuse to play nicely with my map my run

Next week, I'll try week 2 properly, but later in the day. I went running first thing and it was really cold! In the afternoons, it's supposed to be 10c or more and sunny. Have a good weekend, everyone!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #28  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Yay, C25K thread! I like the ongoing threads better than monthly. There is such a wealth of information. Thank you for posting all the links in the first post! So helpful.

[Background... I did a lot of lot of LOT of research when I first did the program in 2009. I completed it, then fell off the running wagon. I only ran sporadically after that, mostly as High Intensity Interval Training (60-90 second sprints). I decided I needed a regular, sustained, form of exercise - then I realized how OUT OF SHAPE I was on a hike with friends - so I went through the program again in mid-December.]

I finished a couple of weeks ago (did two 30-min runs on a treadmill, all previously were outside).

Then..................

I fell off the wagon again. I didn't run for nearly 2 weeks. BOOOOOOO What is UP with that?

I "ran" to the gym last night, thinking I could get close to 30 min in before my class ... NOOOOOOOPE. I ran around 8 minutes and was pooped. That's what 2 weeks off got me.

SO - I think I am going to have to repeat some weeks to build back up to 30 minutes. I'm thinking the 10' + 10' combo is a good place to start. But yeah, even 8 minutes was exhausting so maybe I should go back to the 5'+5'+5' (W5D1?).

Then, once I get through the program again, I have to inspire myself to want to run 30 minutes at a time. C25K is fun, like a game, or at least a challenge to overcome. Somehow I have to find this appeal in everyday running. My plan was to just run 30 minutes at a time, working on speed but clearly I didn't follow through.

I don't want to run further than 5K (and I never got close to 5K [3.1 miles], I ran maybe 2.25 miles in 30 minutes) ... So a 10K training is not of interest to me. One idea is to go through the entire program again, running "faster" but that is hard to judge if I don't do it on a treadmill. I suppose I could figure out how to use a tracking app to determine my speed.

Anyway, not sure of my exact plan yet, but I am getting back on the C25K wagon! I'm pretty sure I won't have time to run today because of work but I will get out there ASAP and check in here regularly. Y'all lovely C25Kers are very inspirational!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #29  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

oh and sorry to hear about the app malfunctions! I have had my share for sure and I am so dependent on 1) my music and 2) my lady's voice prompts (even for the 30-minute runs) that I have just given up when one or the other doesn't cooperate. Sad but true. Someday I hope to be a "real" (ish) runner again, like I used to be, able to just run without tunes

Last edited by EmmaD; 03-07-2014 at 03:08 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #30  
I think I'm losing it!

Hi everybody! Guess what? I DID IT!! I ran for 20 minutes!
Really, minutes 3-8 were the hardest. I thought, "What the heck made me think I could do this?! It seems endless, and my legs are already SO tired." And, then, I don't really know what happened. Maybe I got into "my stride" and it was just predictable - methodical - know what I mean? "Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll get through this.." My podcasts are so inspirational -- the lady kept saying I could do it, and I believed her!

I measured my distance by counting the laps around the track, and I ran just over 1 mile in 20 minutes (11 1/2 laps, and 11 is a mile). That tells you how slowly I run! ha! But, dog gone it, I RUN!!! I still can't believe it...

Y'all, don't let the coming weeks intimidate you. YOU CAN DO IT! The program is proven, and if all the people who have completed it can do it, we can, too. Every week I'm not sure I can do it, but somehow I do.

Sorry you guys are having technical difficulties. The one day my ipod cratered, I couldn't run. I didn't even attempt it. I NEED my inspiration!

Silverfire It definitely helps to schedule what you'll do and when. I run Mon, Wed & Fri and do strength training on Tue & Thu, and a barre class (i guess it's light weights & resistance training) on Wed before I run. Weekends, I rest. This week, because of the ipod problem, I ran Tue & Wed, following my workout, and by late Wed, I was toast! But, on Thursday, I just did strength training and recovered enough to run today.

Emma I agree. The program is like a game to me, too, and a huge personal challenge. I've wondered what I will do upon graduation, when I don't have a plan. I don't think I want to run more distance, either, but I do want to have a reason to keep on running. I definitely need to work on speed, but I haven't read a lot about how to do that. Guess I'll have to do more research. Once we're all through, maybe we can hold each other accountable for running 3x/week no matter how long, far or fast we do it. We could be our own little runners club!

Last edited by AwShucks; 03-07-2014 at 10:11 PM.