Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #286  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

Hey, everybody, how's it going? KarinRose, how was your 5k? Silverfire, congrats on the 12-minute run! That's a huge milestone! BeachPlum, nice job running in the run! Really makes you feel like a bad-***, doesn't it? Horo, how's the first week going?
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #287  
Nuttin to it but to do it

S/C/G: 270/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6''

The 5k went ok. Neither as bad as I feared, nor as good as I imagined. I started off at my steady slow pace and felt fine. Then about a mile in I started to lose my mental headspace as children passed me and I psyched myself out and started walking and jogging. I was a little disappointed because I was sure that I would jog the first 30 minutes like in training at the very least. It didn't help that it happened after a stressful week and after the last day of school (complete with happy hour).

I'm proud of taking it on but I am itching to continue training and to do the next one and improve.

This time was 47:08. I am still looking forward to a time that includes no walking in it though. :-)
KarinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:36 PM   #288  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

It's going well. I completed day 2 successfully, though I'm thinking I might have to repeat week 1 before I can move onto week 2 as I'm still just barely managing.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #289  

S/C/G: 184/157/125

I also just started C25K just last Sunday. And I just finished up day 2 yesterday. I found week 1 to be quite manageable and dare I say easy? But I still can't picture myself running a 5k.

I was always one of those who would get side stitches when running and give up midway. I'm learning perhaps I was running too fast. Lesson learned. Can't wait to see how I do in week 2.
hellolovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #290  

S/C/G: 191.4/187/150

Height: 5'9

thank you Hoho for the encouragement. and way to go Karinrose! you rock! I can't wait till the day I can say I completed my first 5k! I am suppose to be in week 3, but I am going to start it over. We have had some pretty wicked humid weather here and I am finding it hard to run in it. So I have been fast walking. still doing something, so I am not going to kick myself. Hellolovely, I can attest to your thinking you can't picture yourself running a 5k. But we can do it! might take a while, but that's what training is all about.
Beachplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #291  
Started May 16, 2011

S/C/G: 194.4/189.2/160

Height: 5'8"

Hey y'all! I started C25k for the second time the other day. I think last time I got to week 5 so hoping to actually make it through the whole program this time . I finished w1d2 today, so really just beginning. Looking forward to this thread for motivation!
savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #292  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I started C25K W1D1 yesterday. I did pretty good 1.79 miles @ 14:25 per minute. I also run my Zombie run app to motivate me. Sometimes I have to sprint to evade zombies which can make it tiring. lol. I'm looking forward to doing this and finally completing something!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #293  
Started May 16, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZTaCCen View Post
I started C25K W1D1 yesterday. I did pretty good 1.79 miles @ 14:25 per minute. I also run my Zombie run app to motivate me. Sometimes I have to sprint to evade zombies which can make it tiring. lol. I'm looking forward to doing this and finally completing something!
What is this zombie app you speak of? Sounds interesting!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #294  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

I just finished Week 2 day 3. I'm a bit slower than I would like, I do the first half the work out running 5mph, then get burned out and my legs hurt, so the last half I run 4.5mph. I've been doing the walking at 3mph. My app on my phone says that I should do 5.2mph run, and 4mph walking. I'm no where near that!

Week1 was hard, but I managed, I'm wondering if I should re-do week 2 and try to do the 4mph walks and the 5.2mph runs? Or, slow and steady and just work my way up there?

I can't wait to run a steady 5k, even if I run the whole thing at 4.5 mph. I'm sure I'll get faster!
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #295  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Hi C25k-ers! I have completed C25K twice in the past (most recently in February I think) but stopped running for various reasons. Let's hope the post-C25K thread will help with that

yaaaaay I FINALLY got out and ran again. I had to go back to Week3,Day2. It was the right level - challenging but doable. I hadn't run (except for once a month ago) since April.

Great to see some many people getting out there and doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurisitaru View Post
I just finished Week 2 day 3. I'm a bit slower than I would like, I do the first half the work out running 5mph, then get burned out and my legs hurt, so the last half I run 4.5mph. I've been doing the walking at 3mph. My app on my phone says that I should do 5.2mph run, and 4mph walking. I'm no where near that!

Week1 was hard, but I managed, I'm wondering if I should re-do week 2 and try to do the 4mph walks and the 5.2mph runs? Or, slow and steady and just work my way up there?

I can't wait to run a steady 5k, even if I run the whole thing at 4.5 mph. I'm sure I'll get faster!
Hi, kurisitaru - I have always gone much slower than what your app is saying. Although when I started the first time, I was on a treadmill and I was doing the run portions the first week at like 6.0 mph! Then as the runs got longer, I had to slow way down to get through them. When I got to the long 20+ minute runs, sometimes I would be at 4.0 mph! Which is what your app is saying is a walking speed... My walking sections were usually 3.0 mph, same as you.

The advice I got (years ago) was to just work up to sustained 30 minute runs, which is where you are when you graduate the C25K program, then just work on speed from there. More seasoned runners will be able to give you more details. I was never sure the best way to "work on speed" - just try to run faster for 30 minutes? Go back to intervals? or what?

One thing I always thought about doing was going back to an earlier week, maybe even Week 1, and jog during the "walk" sections and run all-out during the "run" sections. You'd have to jog during the warmup and cooldown sessions (repeating them I guess so you get the actual warmup and cooldown) to get a full 30 minutes though.

Last edited by EmmaD; 06-23-2014 at 02:17 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #296  
Getting my life back

Thank you EmmaD. I think I'll just stick to my slow runs and try to finish the 8 weeks. Once I reach the 5K part, maybe I'll just increase speed incrementally until I hit a faster spot.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #297  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Hi ya'll, I haven't been progressing with the C25K really, and have sort of just been running instead. Yesterday I ran for 15 minutes all in a row (I hopped off the treadmill for a 15 seconds or so just to catch my breath a couple times) The week before I did 13 minutes in a row! I figure if I just keep adding a minute or two every week or two, I'll be golden
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:14 AM   #298  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy View Post
What is this zombie app you speak of? Sounds interesting!
Zombie Run is a running app with a story line as if you're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. There is 3 seasons, season 1 is only 1.99 and had 23 running sessions (stories). Every time you run/walk it tracks your speed and miles, as well you "pick up" supplies. It always has a map of the camp and every run you do and complete you get supplies to make the camp bigger for more survivors etc....

I really enjoy it.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #299  
Started May 16, 2011

Week 1 complete! Onward to week 2
Old 06-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #300  
Getting my life back

Zombie app sounds fun, but dangerous? Running while looking at it seems like a bad idea, or does it interact with noise and not pictures?

I did week 3 day 1. Boy... the 3 minute run was rough, I had to drop speed to 4.3 for the last one, but I did it! I did that Tuesday, will do day 2 today. I also have been halving calve issues. I stretch and do the warm up, perhaps I should stretch more? Anyone else have that? I discovered I'm not as out of breath, but my calves start to burn and feel like a rock got stuck. If it weren't for that, I think I'd be faster. Any thoughts?