Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 165/124/115

Height: 5' 5"

W7D1 done! Instead of running 25 min, I ran for 26 min so I could say I ran a solid 2 miles without stopping! Total distance 2.50 in 35 min.

I'm so proud that I ran 2 miles, even if I'm slow. I've never ran that far without stopping in my life!
justrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #137  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafadhali View Post
Elladorine, I feel the same way about the longer running times. The short runs are great for conditioning but they're actually really hard because they don't give you enough running time to get warm and get into a rhythm. My favorite part of runs is after the first mile when I'm warmed up, in the groove and not yet tired. So fun to work on that nice little zone where running doesn't totally suck!! LOL
It's good to know I have that to look forward to! I have noticed it seems to get easier at the end and actually want to keep going, which is a new feeling for me. I'm still sticking with the program though so I can work on my stamina. I'll be happy work on my speed much later on; I'm super-slow but happy that I can last, lol!

Got through W4D2 last night, and actually ran during daylight! I'm not nearly as self-conscious about running in public a I used to be (I think I got over that last year), but I get a little nervous about overheating from the sun (I'm in the desert). It was pretty cool last night so it worked out well. And I took a couple of photos of the neighborhood during the walking portions, hope you guys don't mind me showing off my local scenery.

Direct link.

Last edited by Elladorine; 04-06-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #138  

Greetings all. Checking in. W2D3 done. I pushed up the speed and intensity and it felt great. I also punished myself in the weight room afterward, and then did 20 min of restorative yoga so that there is some hope that tomorrow my legs won't feel like concrete. Ha!

Today was a special day because I finally dropped to 169.8 lbs. I realize that it is not materially different from being 170.0 lbs., but I'm sure you can appreciate the mental difference it makes to be in a lower decade!!

Looking forward to W3. I'm intimidated by the 3 min stretch of running in W3, but am excited to push myself and accomplish more.

Keep up the great work everyone.
YoAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 255/208/??

Height: 5'4"

I am done with week 8!!

I can't believe I'm almost done with C25k. My 13 year old son has stuck to the program too. It's been so neat to have him running with me. I'm really proud of him.

It was 50*, windy and drizzling when we ran today. I felt so dedicated to my cause!! LOL

My phone has gone missing (I suspect my 2 year old is involved) so I didn't have my app to run with. Not that I really need it now. I timed with a watch and we ran right about 29 minutes. We covered 2.31 miles, so we improved our time a little even. Ya know, slow to slightly less slow. Ha!

There is a Relay for Life glow 5k in a town close to me this coming Sat. night. It falls on the day we'd planned to run the last run of C25K. I think my son and I are going to go for it and sign up. There's a timed run, an untimed run and a fun walk. Runners/walkers start fastest to slowest in 10 min intervals. We already go much further than 5k total on our run days (close to 4 miles total with walking). I figure the worse case, we walk the end. I just think the timing of the race is so cool, and it's a good cause. Can ya tell I'm still talking myself into not being too embarrassed to do it?

Very pretty pictures Ellador, thanks for sharing. If I get a chance I'll take and post some too. It'd be neat if everyone posted where they run.

Yay YoAdrian for breaking into the 160s!! I know exactly how good it feels and how important that is even if the scale difference is small. The mental difference is important.

Yay 2 miles JustRunning!!! Good job!!

Happy trails y'all.

Last edited by Tafadhali; 04-06-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Tafadhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #140  
mossfootrunner!

S/C/G: 126kg/93kg/70kg

Height: 162cm(ish)

Shoot. Was typing and google crashed. Anyway, w6d1 accomplished but at a snail's pace, eating is better cause sil and brother are gone. Hills and altitude will be hard back home, may have to backtrack, we'll see... Looking forward to a real keyboard, lol... Reading all your posts, personals when I get home.
Magicsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 310/290.8/199

Height: 5'7

SOOOO.... Im posting here because I want to start C25K tommorrow and hopefulllllllly this will help keep me from saying Ill do it tommorrow again tommorrow :P
mb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #142  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

I'm baaa-aaak! Did you guys miss me? Apparently not, because there were 4 pages of new posts to catch up on! Yay everyone!

So.... I didn't run while I was on vacation. I know... I said I would, just wasn't possible. But, tonight, my first day back, I moved on with W9D1 and prayed that I hadn't lost my mojo over 7 days away! And, guess what? I hadn't!

Tafadhali I, too, ran without my iPod (don't know where I packed it) and just timed it. Yes, I can run without music and encouragement, but it's so much nicer to have the voice tell me that I "can do it!"

So, I'm in the predicament of finishing up this week, too. My plan is to increase my speed by running 30 minutes 3x/week and try to increase the distance. I'm thinking it should work like the previous program if I increase things gradually. If anyone knows of any experts we can consult, please invite them into the forum. We'll all need this help eventually. We're just a bunch of crazy running chicks!

Oh, and I second the advice to run SLOWLY -- I took that very literally (feeling a bit silly) and avoided any injury so far, and I'm heavier than a lot of you. Yes, I'm slow -- but, by golly, I'm running! That's what counts!
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #143  

S/C/G: 310/290.8/199

Height: 5'7

Awshucks did you know that they have a 5k to 10k program to continue with? its call B210K

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
I'm baaa-aaak! Did you guys miss me? Apparently not, because there were 4 pages of new posts to catch up on! Yay everyone!

So.... I didn't run while I was on vacation. I know... I said I would, just wasn't possible. But, tonight, my first day back, I moved on with W9D1 and prayed that I hadn't lost my mojo over 7 days away! And, guess what? I hadn't!

Tafadhali I, too, ran without my iPod (don't know where I packed it) and just timed it. Yes, I can run without music and encouragement, but it's so much nicer to have the voice tell me that I "can do it!"

So, I'm in the predicament of finishing up this week, too. My plan is to increase my speed by running 30 minutes 3x/week and try to increase the distance. I'm thinking it should work like the previous program if I increase things gradually. If anyone knows of any experts we can consult, please invite them into the forum. We'll all need this help eventually. We're just a bunch of crazy running chicks!

Oh, and I second the advice to run SLOWLY -- I took that very literally (feeling a bit silly) and avoided any injury so far, and I'm heavier than a lot of you. Yes, I'm slow -- but, by golly, I'm running! That's what counts!
mb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #144  

W3D1 in the bank. I was expecting it to be hard, and it was. I was dying a little at the end and now my legs feel like concrete, but I did it! I promised myself that if it was too painful I would slow it down, but I ended up keeping my pace for all of the running sequences.

I am more intimidated than ever by next week's 5 min running sets, but... next week is a long way away. I need to get through the rest of Week 3 before I start worrying about Week 4. And Week 5. And... *sigh*

Mortifying confession:

At one point today, the only other person in the workout room left, and I had it all to myself. I was listening to Britney's "Work B**ch!" on my iPod and started "answering" her. Like this:

Britney: You want a hot body?
Me: YES!
Britney: You want a Maserati?
Britney: Look hot in a bikini?
Britney: You better work bi**ch!

Only after this did I realize that no, I was not alone in the workout room. The other person in there quietly endured my shouting match with Britney on the treadmill.

Have a happy day everyone!
YoAdrian
Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 255/208/??

Height: 5'4"

W9d1... I did it!!

Not the 30 min, I did that. But.... (Drum roll please) I ran 5k!! 3.14 miles actually. I hit 30 min, felt great and knew I had less than I mile to go so just kept going. Finished feeling wonderful. My cardio isn't being stressed at all anymore, breathing has gotten easy. Towards the end of 3 miles I can feel my muscles getting tired, but not in an exhausted kind of way. Just well worked. Still dealing with the darn tendons injured when I broke my ankle but I think they're getting better, certainly not worse. So, overall reaching 5k was a very good thing. My son didn't want to run past 30 mins. He's sticking to the plan and persevering, but I don't think he's falling in love with running. Makes me sad, I don't want to loose my running buddy.

Aw Shucks, of course we missed you. I don't like running without music either. So glad a week off didn't negatively impact your running. I think I'm going to take a few days off after finishing this week to rest my body. I've read that you should give yourself an easy week every 3-4 weeks once you start seriously running. I'm not putting in enough miles (like, laughably not) to be a serious runner but I'm also a heavier runner. So, I think after 9 weeks straight of really busting my behind a few days off in a row will be a good thing.

I'm pondering the 'what next' question too. I'm not worried about speed. My slow 12:30-40 min mile is just fine with me. It'll naturally get fast as I get stronger and leaner. I love distance. That's my favorite challenge and what keeps me running. I want to go, and go, and go!!! I love hitting a new longer distance. That said, I think those who like to go faster are experiencing the same thing just different goal. It's the challenge if improving that makes running so addicting!

Congrats to everyone who is finishing their runs. Good for you! To those just starting, do it. This program is wonderful and so is running.
Tafadhali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #146  
Nuttin to it but to do it

S/C/G: 270/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6''

Oh my goodness, I love reading these posts! I am so proud of all of you and, perversely, being proud of you allows me to take pride in myself too!

Quick question, does anyone wear a knee brace?
I run super slowly but it felt so awesome that I ran two days in a row and did a long hard time on the elliptical all within 36 hours of each other and my knee decided to start speaking to me... I've learned my lesson, but feel like adding some stability to my knee might be a good call. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Keep up the great work! :-)
KarinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #147  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Was supposed to do W4D3 last night, but we had to take my four-month-old into urgent care. He's fine, thankfully . . . he's had a cold but we got extra concerned last night when his breathing seemed labored and he started wheezing.

And I woke up congested and achy myself this morning, so I'm sure I've caught it too. Oy! I just got over being sick and having to restart last month. I learned my lesson by pushing myself last time so I'm going to wait until I'm up for more running before I get back into the program.

Good luck to everyone! I'll keep on reading about your exploits and will join back with you as soon as I can.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #148  

KarinRose, I used to run with a knee brace. You can buy one at any sporting goods store, or even at CVS, and give it a try. If it feels better to run with it, I say, run with it!

One thing to think about is why your knee is hurting in the first place. For me, after months of pain and blaming my knee, I finally discovered that in my case the culprit was actually my ankle. Yes, I already had gone to a running store and gotten properly fitted stability shoes that would protect against my tendency to overpronate. But apparently I roll my ankle so much that even stability shoes don't always do the trick. I started taping my right ankle and guess what -- no more knee pain! So for me, the knee pain was indicative not of a knee problem, but of an ankle problem. So bracing the knee provided a little relief, but bracing the ankle is the real answer. Of course, everyone is different, so you may have a knee issue, or an ankle issue, or a big toe issue... just something to keep in mind!

Of course, a little bit of discomfort is normal for us, but don't run through any serious pain! Be careful with your precious self -- you're the only you there is!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #149  
Nuttin to it but to do it

S/C/G: 270/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6''

Thanks, YoAdrian! How did you finally discover that it was actually an ankle issue? I overpronate too. I was fitted for shoes, but wouldn't be surprised if I over-overpronate. ;-)
KarinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

Glad to hear your baby's fine, EllaDorine! My 3-month-old just got over a nasty cough/cold. Nothing worse than hearing your baby wheezing all night long.

So I just finished w5d3. Sort of. The plan calls for either a 20-minute run or a 2-mile run. I was going for 2 miles, since I'm going for distance, and I was doing it on the treadmill, since the gym has childcare. At first it was really hard, but doable, you know? Like hard enough that I Wanted to stop, but not so hard that I couldn't push through it. But finally I started getting into a rhythm and feeling good, when suddenly my baby demands milk. Crap. ~1.5 miles in and I had to stop! Gah. So I went and fed the baby (who was appropriately adorable and smiley afterwards), then hopped back on the treadmill and did another mile.

Soooo. I dunno. I wound up running a total of almost 2.5 miles in around 30 minutes total, but there was a five-minute seated break in the middle. I think I'm going to count it as 'complete' and move on, since I know I could've finished the full run without the break and I did actually run a bit more than was called for. What do you guys think?
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote