Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #46  
Getting started

S/C/G: 260/tricker/159

Height: 5' 7''

Week 3 day 1 completed, so I am very happy. Should add though that it was difficult for me to do the 3 minute runs. In the beginning I tried a mantra of "I can do it and it is easy to do." that turned around minute two into an "Is it over yet? Is it over yet? Is it over yet?".

5.3 km completed in 48:28 though and I was proud to have improved my time a little bit compared to the last workout so that helps with motivation.

Also purchased a cute grey runner top a little by accident and can't wait to test jog it. The funny thing is, it took C25K program for me to allow myself to get and wear sleeveless tops again in public in ... I can't even remember, most likely not in the last 10 years.

Riddy - I really like your idea of repeating the last workout of every week one more time. Thank you for sharing that tip. I think I will wait and see how week 3 goes but think that if the 3 minutes continue to feel so very challenging perhaps I should consider taking it slower also and doing more of the same session, maybe.

Questions I have wondered about while jogging today: have you ever felt a turning point in your C25K progress, when the runner in you really kicked in or have your experiences been mostly of continuous and gradual improvement?

If you were to start the program again, is there anything that you would do differently? Do you have any special lessons learned?

Happy C25K for all!
Lizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

W7D1. 4k = 2.5 miles. It took me 29.5 minutes so I almost graduated from the program )) I run on a new trail and there were some hills, so I had to stop and breathe twice. It made me feel like a failure, but I had to remind myself I do this to be happy, not dead exhausted and hating every minute. After breathing for about a minute I was able to continue jogging uphill. I will see in next two sessions if I can do it without a break, at any rate I won't be moving to week 8 until I can run 4 km non stop.
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #48  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz View Post
Questions I have wondered about while jogging today: have you ever felt a turning point in your C25K progress, when the runner in you really kicked in or have your experiences been mostly of continuous and gradual improvement?
For me, it's all been gradual. I watch my mileage with Endomondo, and I'm pretty consistently around 2.1-2.3 miles for the workout. I sometimes walk and extra minute or 2 at the end if I've misjudged my speed/distance and I'm not home yet. I haven't had any big "aha! I'm a runner!" moment yet. I just get to the point at the end of the week that the workout is less hard than it was at the beginning of the week.

And I bought more of the amazing socks yesterday - they are Champion C9 Premium Maximum Performance - low cut with heel shield. They come in packs of 2 pairs, white with magenta and dark grey trim on 1 pair, neon yellow and grey on the other. I am seriously in love with these socks - I hate hot feet, sinking socks, and toe seams. These have NONE of those issues.

I won't have a chance to run again til the weekend, so it's yoga the rest of the week for me.

Happy learning to run, everyone!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Hello! I just finished week 5 today, and for those of you that are on week 6 or later that means a jump from an 8 minute run to a 20 minute run! It wasn't too bad! Looking forward to finally hitting the 5K!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #50  
Shrinking Chick

Repeated W4, D3 yesterday, and increased my distance to 2.22 miles. I'll take that as my sign that I'm ready to start week 5 - probably tomorrow. Since each day is increasing this week, I have to decide which day to repeat. I'm leaning towards repeating day 2 before moving on to the 20 minute run.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #51  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

Week 2 is my B%^#+!!! I feel sorta lame that 6 1.5 minute runs totally had me winded. I like the "5K runner" app though.

Week 3 starts at 6am tomorrow. Bring it!
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #52  
Shrinking Chick

Week 5 Day 1 done!

My distance was back down a little, but oh well. I made it through all the running segments, and felt all right.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #53  

Height: 5' 8"

This is my 3rd time doing C25K. I have enjoyed the challenge of it every time.

Summer 2010 - I had NEVER jogged further than a mile and could not understand why anyone actually enjoyed running...but my then 10 yo wanted to run a 5k, and I he was to young to go on his own. (Little did I know that he would finish in almost half the time I did, luckily we had neighbors and friends their that kept him company while waiting for me!)

Summer 2011 - I did not jog over the winter and needed to restart. Went on to jog a 1/2 marathon in Sept 2011.

Summer 2012 - I am going to do a double C25K
My 7 yo girls want to run in a 5k so I am starting C25K with them.
I want to increase my speed, so I am going to jog on the walk and actually run on the run.

Lizz - There is nothing I would change any of the times I have done C25K. EXCEPT, if my first race were hilly (they all are around here) I would make sure I did some running on hills...I kept it flat and was shocked on my first hill! They are doable, but it is better to train for them.

Riddy - there are usually fun 5Ks around Halloween, I bet you could find one near you.

Rainbowsmiles - look at you increasing your speed!!!

Last edited by envelope; 07-23-2012 at 06:20 PM.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 290/269/185

Height: 5'7

So super happy to find this thread! I have been day dreaming of being a runner - again. Back in the day I ran daily and LOVED IT!! I will be starting the C25K this weekend. I need some good gear 1st.
Rainbowsmiles...I see you on the IP boards too....quick question - my coach told me I shouldn't increase my heart rate too much or I will be out of ketosis? sound right? either way, i'm gonna run!! can't wait to start and post my expereinces!!!!
AMS65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #55  
Shrinking Chick

Rainbow and AMS,

I'm doing all this on Medifast, which I know isn't the same as IP, but closer than most other plans. From what I've seen on the MF board, they suggest adding 2-3 ounces of lean protein before running, if people notice their weight loss stop or reverse. I was having peanut butter in the evening on my C25K days, but then I gained 1.5 pounds, so now I'm adding a cheese stick before. Do you have an IP nutrition support or exercise support you can contact?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 290/269/185

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
Rainbow and AMS,

I'm doing all this on Medifast, which I know isn't the same as IP, but closer than most other plans. From what I've seen on the MF board, they suggest adding 2-3 ounces of lean protein before running, if people notice their weight loss stop or reverse. I was having peanut butter in the evening on my C25K days, but then I gained 1.5 pounds, so now I'm adding a cheese stick before. Do you have an IP nutrition support or exercise support you can contact?
Riddy I do have a coach but she tells me if i increase my heart rate I may get out of ketosis. Sounds so strange to me though. How can exercise make you gain weight? Wouldn't it just be muscle anyway?? I may need to add another protein packet. I just feel they don't want me to work out at all!
AMS65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 PM   #57  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

I just got back on the wagon - for both exercising and eating well consistently. I started the C25K program again, but on W3D3. I did that yesterday and didn't have much problem completing it. Today I did W4D1 and it was much harder (but I think I let my brain tell me I was more tired that I was). I figure since I am not starting at the beginning, I may take some more time on some weeks to build up, but I am going to give it a go. I have always had 'run the princess 1/2 marathon' on my bucket list (its a run through Disney's Magic Kingdom) so I guess I need to start running if I ever want to consider that. I'm glad I can come here for support and accountability to stay on the plan.

Good luck guys. Great job so far!
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #58  
Shrinking Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS65 View Post
Riddy I do have a coach but she tells me if i increase my heart rate I may get out of ketosis. Sounds so strange to me though. How can exercise make you gain weight? Wouldn't it just be muscle anyway?? I may need to add another protein packet. I just feel they don't want me to work out at all!
I don't get it about the heart rate and ketosis. Medifast just says to limit exercise to 45 minutes/day, and only after being on the program for at least a few weeks. But they DO want us exercising.

Sounds odd to me. I'm sure your coach believes it is correct, but is there an 800 number or someone official at IP you can email for a second opinion?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #59  
Still Chubby

S/C/G: 79.8/72.5/66kg

Height: 172cm

gatorgirl6 welcome back to the wagon! You dived right in to the end of the week I'm working on. The princess 1/2 marathon sounds like a great goal to work towards.

the 5K runner app has W3D1 as:

5 minute warm up walk
Run 1.5, walk 1.5
Run 2.5, walk 2.5
Run 2.5, walk 2.5
Run 1.5, walk 1.5
5 minute cool down walk

I wussed out on the last 15 seconds of the last run. Legitimately, I could have carried on. I should have sucked it up. I need to toughen up mentally. So, I'm doing W3D1 again tomorrow. Fairly certain W3D2 is the same as day 1 anyway, but thats not the point. If I don't complete, I repeat.

Part of me is disappointed bc I'm such a wuss, part of me is impressed every time I get up at 6am and dig out my sports bra.
tinneranne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #60  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

tinneranne2, Thanks for the welcome. It looks like the C25K is slightly different from your 5K runner app, but not significantly.

I tried to do W4D2 today, but my back was sore this morning and once I started the running portion I could tell that it was hurting my back and if I continued I would be lucky to get out of bed tomorrow morning. Instead I walked a brisk 1.5 mi. I probably wont be able to run tomorrow either, but I will get back in as soon as possible. I also did 5.5 mi on the bike. I normally do around 4 mi on the bike after my run cause it helps keep me from getting sore. My back hurts worse now than before my workout, so it still may not have been a good idea - but I will nurse it for the rest of the day and hopefully recover.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote