Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #16  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

i think the most discouraging for me when i run, is i often get a cramp in my right side. i run through it, but it makes me want to put off running again for a while. is there a trick to better breathing that i'm not aware of. or is it just bc i'm out of shape.
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellart View Post
i think the most discouraging for me when i run, is i often get a cramp in my right side. i run through it, but it makes me want to put off running again for a while. is there a trick to better breathing that i'm not aware of. or is it just bc i'm out of shape.
If you haven't exercised for a while it's quite normal to get a stitch in your side, even seasoned exercisers get them. Just go slower, breathe deeper and relax when you run...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #18  
No description available.

Also play with what you are eating and drinking prior to your run. And never worry about slowing down if you need to. I think some beginner runners feel like they have to go faster than they can comfortable maintain for a certain distance. Go for time and stamina now. Speed can pick up later.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I've found the breathing technique that works for me when I get a side stitch is to breathe in for a count of 2(or whatever is comfortable to you) and then breathe out quickly as my right foot hits the ground, and repeat. That usually gets rid of it, but I wouldn't recommend doing a whole run like that.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellart View Post
Try not to eat or drink w/i an hour of your run. Don't go out too fast. A lot of new runners make this mistake. If you get a stitch try breathing out every other step on the opposite foot that you have the stitch in. This will usually eliminate it. I run 5-6 days a week and I've been doing it for years and all the sudden on last night's run I got a stitch. I think it's because I usually do morning runs and I did an evening run and had too much food in my stomach.
RunnerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #21  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi. I started out doing walking/jogging. I just recently moved it up to doing 2 - 30 minute jogging sessions and have had some VERY MILD chest discomfort on the left side. I am wondering if I should be alarmed or wait it out to see if it happens again or even give up the jogging? Thanks in advance.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #22  
No description available.

On the left side? I'm gonna suggest you touch base with your doctor for an evaluation before continuing running.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I started running last July and I have been consistently running 3/4 times a week. I still hate it though. I keep hearing about people who at first hate it and then grow to love it, but it hasn't happened for me. I chose running because it is free (money's tight), I can do it anywhere, and I have a limited time for exercise. I am thinking that I just don't like cardio workouts because I love yoga.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Hi--

Quick question: why do some people on this forum say you should only run every other day (i.e. a full workout say anywhere from thirty to forty-five minutes) and others run six miles five days a week?

I'm interested in becoming a runner (granted in small steps first!) but I see comments where people say you shouldn't run every day (since it's a high impact form of exercise) to those who say they run 5-6 days a week.

who is right?

*confused*

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #25  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It depends on your goals and what kind of running you do.

MTA: OK that was totally unhelpful.

You can not run HARD every day. If you run 6 days a week as I do, most of those days have to be easy runs (slow). If you go out there and pound hard every day you have a higher chance of hurting yourself. If your cardio in anyway resembles HIIT you can not do it every day.

If you run enough, eventually a very easy run becomes not significantly more stressful than walking. However it usually takes people a long time to learn how to actually run REALLY easy. (As an example my 5K race pace is ~7:20 minutes/mile and most days I run about 10 minutes per mile and some days I recover by running 11 minutes per mile.)

The key to remember with running is that the cardiovascular system adapts much much faster than the joints/bones/tendon infrastructure. So you can feel like you are running at an easy level and why not go farther or add another run tomorrow, and the infrastructure isnt ready. Build slowly if you want to add more days and you'll be fine.

My preferred method for adding a day is to "steal mileage" from other runs so that the total weekly mileage remains constant. So if I was doing 4 days of 5 miles = 20 miles I might go to 5 days of 4 miles for 2 weeks before building up ( or more likely 4-3-4-4-5).

Or start with other cardio for the same length of time on the other days and gradually work in a little bit of running and build it. The mistake people make is they have a "running route" and they just add another day on top of their existing week and it is too big a jump.

Last edited by ennay; 02-01-2009 at 10:27 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I had a lot of "side stitches" when I started training seriously for a 5K, and I got 3 pieces of advice that helped me:

1. Stay hydrated. My running coach last fall said that side stitches are a result of dehydration, and that I should make sure I was drinking about 64oz of water in the 24 hours before I ran. I don't know if any studies back her up or not, but I did find that my side was much less likely to stitch on days when I was good about water, and much more likely to when I wasn't.

2. When a really bad side stitch hits you, stop for a second and stretch it by putting putting the arm on the stitch side straight up in the air, and leaning to the side away from the stitch. I find I have to hold my breath while I do this for it to feel better. That was from my MIL the former nurse and current fitness and stretching nut.

3. Just ignore it and keep going. Also from my running coach. She pointed out that a run-of-the-mill side stitch wouldn't kill me, and that I shouldn't use it as an excuse to start walking. In a couple more weeks of running classes, I found I wasn't getting them anymore. I guess I just outgrew them.
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #27  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyozzy View Post
I started running last July and I have been consistently running 3/4 times a week. I still hate it though. I keep hearing about people who at first hate it and then grow to love it, but it hasn't happened for me. I chose running because it is free (money's tight), I can do it anywhere, and I have a limited time for exercise. I am thinking that I just don't like cardio workouts because I love yoga.
i've been doing it off and on for about 10 years. even in my on periods, like now, when i can go about 4-4.5 miles, i still hate it. the first mile to two miles are pure torture, but i do think it's the most accessible bang for your proverbial buck in terms of calorie burning. so i keep at it because yeah i kinda feel like i probably hate most cardio, so i may as well get the most out of the time i have to spend doing it.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 238/235.4/130

Height: 5'3"

I appreciate the advice on side stitches.

I've been running 2 miles on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays (sometimes I'll even go on Saturdays! Occasionally, I'll run for three miles, only when my friends go with me, though.

I know my mental attitude has a lot to do with how much I enjoy a run. For example, I have a lot more fun when I'm looking at the scenery and not focusing so much on the distance I have left to run. (Although, my friend says it helps her to think about the destination. To each their own.)

My resolution is to stop running occasionally on Saturdays, and start running every Saturday. Starting this week. =)
Crystallina 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 245/232/135

Default Prep work

I am going to buy a good sports bra today and a good pair of running shoes. Then I am going to start with my walk/jogs.

Wish me luck.......
txnikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #30  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation

back to the side stitch question. i have a bit of a weird situation. about two weeks ago i developed a side stitch about a mile into my 5 mile run. i have recently started going more slowly so i felt like it wasn't even very taxing to me at that point, but then the mysterious side stitch appeared. it wasn't severe enough to necessitate stopping, but it was there for the duration. and ever since that day, i have been getting side stitches as soon as i start running...and, here's the weird part: even when i'm walking. casually. short distances...as in walking from the kitchen to the bathroom i feel that very faint pang of the side stitch. WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON????
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote