3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running FAQs (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/151805-running-faqs.html)

Ilene 09-18-2008 01:02 PM

Running FAQs

This sticky thread has been added to help our beginner runners and their most Frequently Asked Questions ....

So, veteran runners you can help our beginners by adding to this thread ... so post away and have fun sharing your insight ...

Lovely 09-18-2008 01:11 PM

Couch to 5K

I know this has been posted so frequently around 3FC, but the Couch to 5K program helped me get off the couch and start attempting to run. It is a very approachable program for people completely new to running. So if I may:

Couch to 5K

Ilene 09-18-2008 01:18 PM

Excellent first suggestion Faerie!!

MBN 09-18-2008 02:26 PM

This is more of a philosophical point -- but many beginners don't think of themselves as "runners". We have this perception of runners that are long, lean, and effortlessly lope along for hours. Well, they aren't all like that, and certainly no one started out that way!!

In reality, "runners" come in ALL shapes and sizes, all ages and levels. Some are really fast, and some are really slow, and others use walk/run intervals. But, they are ALL runners, and you can be one too. Once you've laced on those shoes, gotten out the door, and taken those first jogging steps (no matter how slow, no matter how long you last), YOU are a runner!

IMO, the most important thing for a beginner is just to get out there consistently. Start with run/walk intervals and work to increase the amount of time you are jogging. Don't try to go too fast. And just keep at it ... improvements WILL come with time.

Oh, and get some good shoes, preferably by consulting a local running specialty store. The right shoes can help prevent injury.

I'm sure the others will chime in, but I just want to encourage you to get out there and try it!

Kofarq 09-18-2008 02:44 PM

I have some questions now that I've started running and enjoying it. (C25K)
Can I run every day? (With one day a week off)
Do I do leg weights and lunges, etc 2 or 3 days a week and still run on those days, or do I alternate: run, weights, run, weights? (one day a week off) Do I run less on the days I do leg weights?
How do I incorporate arms/shoulders and core/abs?
Thank you in advance for any help, and also thank you to Ilene for starting this thread.

mamaspank 09-18-2008 02:49 PM

Stay well hydrated. That doesn't mean to drink a gallon an hour before a run. You will have the most miserable run of your life. Staying well hydrated is something to work on all day, everyday.

NetChick 09-18-2008 02:49 PM

A great starter running podcast...

Hi guys, brand new here!

I'm currently training for my first half marathon -- Starting with the Couch to 5km program, and extending my distance over the next four months. My half marathon (for Team Diabetes) is in Orlando FL in January.

What I wanted to share was a very cool podcast that goes along with the Couch to 5K! I've written a blog post about it on my blog at netchick dot net -- They won't allow me to post the exact link here, so scroll down the page a bit for "Couch to 5K" post!

Anyhow, best of luck to everyone out there starting to run. I never thought I'd be running a half marathon, but, here I am making progress a little at a time!

Kofarq 09-20-2008 11:05 AM

Can someone please answer this question for me? I have posted it before and on two other threads, but still haven't gotten any help with it.

Do I do leg weights and lunges, etc 2 or 3 days a week and still run on those days, or do I alternate: run, weights, run, weights? (one day a week off) Do I run less on the days I do leg weights?

Ilene 09-22-2008 12:35 PM

Kori you asked:
Quote:

It is not recommened you run every day. It's an exercise that is very intense and hard on the joints. The recommendation is to run every second day. If you wish more cardio do something that is easier on the joints like biking, elyptical, walking, swimming etc.
Quote:

You should not run on leg days. Just do your leg workout and another type of cardio.
Quote:

You CAN incorporate those body parts on days that you run...

Hope this helps and ask more questions if need be :D....

Nikaia 09-30-2008 10:53 AM

I have a question, if I may. I've tried C25K before, and am starting it again. I keep stopping around week 3, for various reasons, but the main one is this: Shin Splints. Is there some way to preemptively stop them, or prevent them? I seem to have a tendency toward them.

Lovely 09-30-2008 11:25 AM

Shoes

It was mentioned that it's important to have proper shoes for running. (Very much so!)

If you're completely clueless as to where to look for a specialty store, I noticed that the Runner's World website has a store locator:

Runner's World Store Finder

It's someplace to start :) Though it only has US & Canadian stores.

Ilene 09-30-2008 12:04 PM

Here is a good article on Shin Splints and treatments...

Mammy 10-19-2008 08:34 AM

Hey there Im new here.

I have tried running on a few seperate occassions
but each time I find I get this annoying cramping sort of pain in my right shin. Is that normal? :P

Ilene 10-19-2008 11:14 PM

Sounds like shin splnts see the post above yours for answers in the link posted...

Mammy 10-20-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilene (Post 2416053)
Sounds like shin splnts see the post above yours for answers in the link posted...

Oh thanks for that :)