Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default ?

Really? You're not supposed to take it more than 6 months? Is this a new thing because of the warning? I've been off and on this since January. I became concerned about bowel trouble because of a sharp pain in the left side. Yes, you'd think I'd stop but it's a pure motivator for me to keep going. The doc doesn't seem concerned about my use of the product and with the possible warnings back when I started I had them check out my organs and again a couple months ago just to be safe. We certainly had to up my intake of bulk fiber though to fix this other problem...and most certainly before Alli I never had any problems with these things.

I'm sorry your brother made things really difficult for you. He sounds rather like he might have a personality disorder of some type, and dangerous. Good for you for getting away from him.

I'm not a gym-goer, I'm uncomfortable being looked at exercising most of the time so I exercise mostly at home. I do have a bunch of equipment though, but my wii fit and other programs are getting the most work put in lately (new toys). I love to swim as well and find that really burns some cals...soon swimming season will be over though
NightAngel26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #137  

Wink hey...

Hey LouisaH... how ya doin? Well, I know that there are risks in this product, as I hope all are aware of who use it. Some of us here have tried pretty much everything out there and so might turn to Alli...and by pretty much everything I mean fad diets, weight watchers, Atkins, straight veggies, straight fruit...etc...etc. Just cutting calories, just cutting fat...just not eating...eh. The list is long. So it's understandable that they like something like this. It really works, it's the Only FDA approved product of it's kind. That's why I tried it. Can it be a problem? yes. Thank you for putting it out there. Also, it won't take all of the fat out of foods, just up to half....the reason it targets fat beyond the obvious is that fat calories are much more than other calories and so it cuts down on how many are absorbed overall. I do think that it takes away more than fat though, that it drains of other nutrients, so yes it can be risky there as well.

I guess after my long drawn out drawl....basically it does have it's risks, we're (the majority) are not taking it so we don't have to exercise or change our eating.....it's just a helper. I have seen people use it badly though, even the maker probably expected this. No offense, just felt the need to reply in some way.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

About the 6 month thing, I think my mom told me that, and also I read it in one article, so yes I have no idea if this is in the official directions.

In my opinion, if I needed to take it for long (for example lot of weight to lose, not my case) I would go on and off it, as in give the body a break here and there to restore itself.

The gym-going for me is recent, at the beginning I started working out at home because I had a terrible self-image and wanted to lose weight before joining a gym. I got to the point where I felt like I didn't look too bad in exercise clothes, and now I love the gym hehe.

Last edited by happynottsgirl; 07-28-2010 at 10:05 PM.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #139  

Hi all I used to use this product when it was prescription Xenical and it was aweful...I was afraid to try the otc version. I've been using a product that works in the stomach and not the colon with no side effects and works really well...there are products out there that are better.
Has anyone had the oil leakage with this stuff? Not fun...
Kobies Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #140  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annn View Post
Alli is scam. It almost ruined my friend's life...
Don't you love drive-by posts like this with no explanation? Really makes me question the poster's validity. Like perhaps they have no experience with Alli and just want to stir things up?

I tried Alli a couple of years ago but was not committed to it. I re-joined Weight Watchers a year ago and I've done pretty well, but I've been on a plateau for a few months. This is despite joining a gym and actually going! So I decided to re-try Alli. I bought the 60-pill supply just for a boost for a few weeks to finally get me over the plateau. And you know what? I think it's working! I'm not doing anything different than I have been.

Let me repeat that. I am not doing anything different than I have been doing. I've been counting my Weight Watchers points, working my butt off at the gym 5 times a week for months. Now I have added Alli, and I am seeing the scale move.

So yes, I think Alli works but it's not just a magic pill. No, I have not ruined any chairs or experienced anal leakage. Once I am done with this bottle, I will be done with Alli (at least for some period of time). I made the conscious decision to buy Alli to get me over the plateau I've been in, and it's been very motivating to see the scale move again. You really need that when you're following a weight-loss plan for a long time! It's easy to get discouraged!

So if you're interested in Alli, and you are really committed to the lifestyle change prescribed by all the Alli material, I think it can be a major blessing.

Last edited by Amy8888; 08-04-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #141  

I dont even 'use' Alli for the fat absorption disruption features. I take one each morning. It helps me grab an apple instead of a candy bar, or a serving of peanut butter on bread, b/c I am afraid of side effects. It is a reminder to me to be aware of the tiny portion/large calorie nature of fat-intensive foods. I do eat certain fat-rich foods, such as avacado pieces, etc....plus water and fat soluble vitamins, but I dont 'grab' these while at work....I plan them....just my two cents....=}
kim150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #142  

oh, btw i am a 45 year old female, and I run 12- 15 miles per week, with no health issues to date. I have appreciated Alli's contribution to my weight-control arsenal....I am at the border between obese and overweight per the
BMI charts....ugh...middle aged and still fighting.....((((sigh)))))))
kim150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #143  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

I've been using Alli since August 15, and I've lost 2.5 pounds. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm pretty happy with it. I usually eat 35-40 grams of fat per day, and I haven't had any disgusting side effects yet.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #144  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I started using Alli in July because I could not keep myself away from the fatty foods that I loved to indulge in. I saw Alli as a means to modify my eating habits, because I was just not able to say "I need to stay away from these foods because they make me fat and unhealthy." Alli makes me say "I need to stay away from these foods because if I don't, there is going to be some icky-ness occuring in my back end region!" I see this purely as a behavior modifier, but one that has really been beneficial to me. I have never had any of the side effects, mostly because I stay far away from high fat food. I feel that I am now in control of my eating and that I have the ability to say no to bad foods because I've been doing it for so long now. When this bottle is done, I'm done. And I believe the 6 month time period that people are referring to is just based on effectiveness, it generally doesn't have any effect on weight loss after the 6 month period.
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #145  

Default alli update..

so let's see... I've been on Alli since some time in January. What I can see is that it does work, that there has to be a good bout of exercise and eating control or it won't work and there will likely be side effects. I've taken to taking it irregularly because after a few months it appears to stop doing anything. I think the body gets used to it. I have to say though that going off of it seems to allow for weight gain of 5-10 lbs afterward, probably because he body has to get used to regulating it's own processes again. This of course is speculation, but I've been on and off of it and the effects remain the same for me.

for those who feel that exercise is the reason for the loss.... I've exercised alone in the same manner as I have taking Alli, and it makes a lot less of a difference...dieting also has about the same effect...I'd say they're right...Alli makes for 50% of the deal or so. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #146  

Exclamation oh and a little TMI for you...

just for a heads up..... I had been having side pains in my left side just at or under the bottom of my rib cage. They were sharp at first. I went in to my doc because I was worried about the possible side effects I've heard of and she said it was bowels, that on that side in that spot that's all there is really. So even though I was going to the bathroom...and a bit more frequently on Alli, apparently it doesn't necessarily clean everything out and you can imagine what happens then. So, they expressed my need for that fiber stuff you mix into drinks which I dutifully worked on. I'd say after that and some laxative it was much better. The reason I expressed this here is that never... NEVER in my life have I had a bowel issue, so I'm connecting it to the Alli. I can see why it might happen, after all it sort of makes our body double up on waste. Just a little info for anyone who might be in the same boat.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #147  

So after reading almost all of these post, old and new, I have ordered the starter pack, it isn't here yet but should be soon. My only hesitations are what and were I am eating at work! Because of where I work and limited options of bringing my own, we eat fast food 4 or 5 days a week I have recently started ordering salads each day except 1 day, and I'm not missing the hamburger and French fries all that much. However with the TE I am already scared to eat lunch and I don't usually eat breakfast.
Any suggestions to eating fast food while taking Alli?
Thanks,
SomethingHasToGive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #148  

Red face hey...

hey, so you're worried about fast food with Alli? Well, I hate to be a downer but it will probably affect you. Everyone is different though...but I'll tell you how it works for me....yes I do give in to the fast food sometimes...and sometimes more than I should. I find that small servings of it aren't too bad but when you go med and large it tends to get messy, especially with fried foods like french fries. I find pizza to be one of the worst as well but one piece seems to be mostly ok. If you eat 3-4 pieces in one sitting you can expect issues anywhere from before you even finish the meal to the next day in the afternoon.

oh, and yes I'm still taking it but I think my body adjusts to it so I'm trying a two week on, one week off method...the leveling out seemed to start after about three months for me...just no result, even if I ate junk nothing happened....quite strange. The two on one off seems to reset it for the most part.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #149  

Default ALLI and I are best friends!!!!

I have read reviews on 'alli' and I have had a great laugh by some who just did not 'do' or 'go' by or one who took an 'alli' pill with slimfast, then could not understand why they excess bowel movements! lol on a good note, since you KNOW the effects of 'alli', I eat a banana every morning, (which does help with 'loose stools') with a cup of coffee and maybe have a slice of toast. For lunch, I eat maybe 2 ounces of cheese or cheddar with fruit, grapes, an apple, now for dinner, it is free game. I have lost 23 pounds in three months and have gone from a size 22 to a size 16-18 pants. I do not go hungry, I plan what I have for dinner, bar b que chicken, pork ribs, with mashed potatoes, lasagne, spaghetti w/ meatballs. as long as you eat between 1000 to 1200 calories aday, and with small grandkids around all of the time, I know I do pass these calories. I usually take one pill a day. On weekends maybe two. It is slow weight loss, but the weight will come off. Bottom line, I am losing, not only weight, but inches. I have finally found something, that actually works and no hype. I do want to thank 'alli' for all the help it is giving me. ;-)
aaop2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #150  

Default hey...

aaop2011- hey thanks for writing about your experience. It's been a while since snyone posted on here. My use of Alli is sporadic as I find that it slows terribly over time and I have to stop and restart to get any change....either way certainly it's a useful tool in the battle of the bulge.