Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 06:04 AM   #1  

Hi

I'm sooooooo upset!!!!! I sent notes out in all my Christmas cards that my mom
has alhzeimers and family members should contact me..not her..if they have
family news. Well they didn't and my favorite uncle passed away and my whole
family missed it cause they called and told my mom to tell us all! She can sound
so normal on the phone sometimes that people think they can trust her with
info..that is why I sent my address and contact info to them all! Duh!!!!!!! Anyway I
have my cousins phone # so I will try to call her tonight to extend my sympathy
and explain things! It was not close enough for me to go, especially with this
weather but the rest of my family is much closer and would have gone! Enough of
that..just had to vent!

------------------
Candice~the late night owl~
Old 01-30-2001, 06:15 AM   #2  

Here is Ally's Post from the other thread we must have been posting at the same time!

never had a mother-in-law. My beloved's mother died of cancer when he was 20,
but I suspect that he needed another mother in me and that was part of our
problems.
Tootie, you sound like a sweetheart, but you KNOW...that is part of our
problems. We are driven people, but seemingly driven to put other's needs before
our own.
Best thing is confrontation. Sit down with your son and his wife and get things off
your chest.
Meme...glad for a nite without terrors. I used to pray for those myself.
And now I can't remember who posted last on the weight loss of 2lbs. But I am
envious. I have hit a plateau quicker than usual. I had so many cravings and
came uup with a theory.
When my son had the flu, I think my immune system went into double overtime
to keep my system as healthy as it can be. And you know our immune systems
are working double time as it is thanks to Fibromyalgia. And if you are burning
the midnight oil in your immune system your body THINKS it wants sugar. It
thinks it is starving from all this work it is doing.
Today I felt pretty good. A relaxed weekend. Found off sugar urges but ate Fritos
during the SuperBowl.
And I slept well.
So, I am not starving right now, but as soon as I get the aches, I immediately
want sugar.
What do you think?
Old 01-30-2001, 11:04 PM   #3  

Boy it is quiet in here...could hear a pin drop on carpet!

Windy here...blow you away nearly. Rained almost all day yesterday and chance again today and tomorrow...doesn't help this fibromyalgia and arthritis any!

Jenna slept in her bed again last night...but wouldn't sleep in her bed here for her nap yesterday. I'll try her again today...don't know what THAT is about. She is eating a little better...not much but we'll take what we can get. I was really worried about her last week. Tootie...she won't be 2 until next month. She still doesn't talk much so can't tell us what is wrong. Her daddy stayed home with her Sun. morning and when Paula called after church to see what he wanted her to bring home for lunch he said it took him most of the morning to figure out what tot tots were! (She was wanting Pop Tarts) MEN! Most of them don't have a clue when it comes to kids! I'm just so happy she is eating something and sleeping now!

I'm still not over the crud...just tired all the time, too. My neck, shoulder and arm is killing me. But at least my knees are better.

Hope you are all feeling better...Candice...hope you are not still down. tootie...hope your wrist and all the other body parts you strained when you fell are healing. Happy and Ally...hope you are both doing better, too! Hang on a couple more months...spring is coming (I hope!)
Old 01-31-2001, 06:03 AM   #4  

Hi all. It is cooler here today. Had a bit of a sleet storm last night. Lasted about 1/2 hr. then was gone. Still above zero, but just barely.
Meme - is it still raining? I don't like it when it rains for days on end. Hate the cloudy weather. Here when it is cold, at least the sunshines. The cold can be looked after by warm clothes and warm houses, but for how much longer one wonders. Has your heating bill been high this winter? Is gas expensive?

Tootie - I sure hope you are feeling better and that the fall didn't damage anything else. Usually shakes you up pretty good, however, and things just hurt for a long time after. I hate it when I fall!

Candice - Did you get the rain or ice you were expecting? Or was it more snow. Something about the shovelling. Only had to shovel the walks a few times this winter - not me personally. Gave that up long ago, as throws my back out each and every time. Hubby gets the pleasure.

Ally - I seem to have a memory like a seive. Can't remember what you wrote. Thought I had that all down, but apparently not. How the heck are you? Hope your diet is continuing to go well. I am doing ok on the Formula and enjoy the meals, so am still motivated. I just hope it continues. I am now into week 3 and seems to be going ok.

Lucky - I sure don't know where you went. I hope that you are ok and have just left us for a short time.

The weather here is changing a bit, and I ache big time in my arms and legs. It is a funny thing, the arthritis seems to opposite the FM, keeping me in continuous pain. Meme, you know what I am talking about.

Take care ladies, and have a good evening.

Old 01-31-2001, 06:46 AM   #5  

I should sell out my body as a barometer. I layed in bed this morning and knew it was raining before I heard it. DIfferent ache than when it is snowing, and different than when it is freezing.

I have a friend at work also dieting and today we were talking about how we have been depriving ourselves of the amount of food we want almost all our lives. I think the only time I am not hungry, or thinking about food, or wishing I could have more food, or pretending that I am full when I could eat 5 more pieces of pizza is when.....I am in a new relationship and I am totally infatuated.

So, our new diet technique may have to do with singles bars.

HOwever, I can't drink anymore. I'm heavier than I've ever been and don't know if I can fake a "come hither" look.

I want the dieting effects of being in love, but don't want to turn into a Stepford Wife..."Why yes, please bring me your dirty laundry".

I remember the day my pregnancy was confirmed. I must've gained 10 pounds that day. A legitimate reason to eat for two. And when I found out I was having twins.....

I need to learn to desire less food. Got any ideas?
Old 02-01-2001, 04:26 AM   #6  

Hi Alley. I also could be a barameter. Make a **** good one too. The other afternoon my arms and legs started to ache for absolutely no reason. They really hurt, didn't even feel like being on this computer. That evening, around 8:00, a wind and sleet storm went barreling through. Lasted only 1/2 hr., and the pain was basically gone the next morning when I woke up. Weather is nice again. Heading for 42 above tomorrow. January went down in history here, as the warmest ever. I remember back 32 yrs. ago, January went down as the coldest month ever. Never got above zero once the whole month. That was the month I had my gallbladder removed, so at least I got to stay in out of the cold.

Now Alley. What is this about men? You want one? I think a goodly portion of the population would be glad to donate a man to you. Might not be exactly what you are looking for, but nontheless a male.

This might sound stupid, but I don't think you can replace "love" with food. I know that food fills a void, but when it comes right to it, we all(over) eat for different reasons. I also know that when we blah, we want nice creamy type foods - all the rich, dessert things. I am sitting here trying not to get up to make a cheesecake. It is, however, a recipe from The Formula, so it would be within my guidelines. Why are you hungry? Are you still zoning? What do you get to eat in a day. Maybe you are not eating enough. On The Formula I am not hungry, although, sometimes, I do get a craving for bread, but it leaves. I look forward to eating a Balance bar in the evening(snack), just because they are a bit sweet. I think you said you were afraid to eat them because they might trigger your carb. cravings. They don't do that to me. They are low glycemic (fructose) protein and fat, so you get the feeling of being satisfied with having something sweet.

Meme - are you ok? Not hearing much from you. No novels. I'm sorry, I thought Jenna was almost the same age as Ashley. When she was 1, boy she would scream when she had to lay down to sleep. I mean SCREAM. Have no idea what was wrong with her, and her mom just left her to cry to 10 min., then went into see her, and let her cry again for another 10 min. They worked on extending the time to 20 min. (That just about drove mom and dad crazy) and soon she just went to bed. Now no problems with going to bed at all. She hits bed by 8:00 p.m. and sleeps until 8:30 a.m., unless she has to go the babysitter, then she is up by 6:45 a.m. Hard life these little guys have, and you know, I can't remember if my kids did that or not.

I hope that you are over the flu. Sure don't want to get that going along with the other things, so hope everybody who is sick just stays away from me.

Phyllis - How ya doing? You ok. With web tv,(is that what you have?), can you get downloads from the net? I am not familiar with how that works, at all.

Candice - How are you doing? Still exercising? I am still walking, although my legs ache when I do. But I am starting (again) just slower. Walked for about 20 min. this morning and will go again on Friday. May increase to 25 min. Don't want to overdo it, or my knees will start that hurting again, and I am fed up with so much pain.

Are any of you watching the Survivor Part 2?

Well, hope some of you post tonight. Have a good evening.
Old 02-01-2001, 07:12 AM   #7  

Hi Happy....Quiet day here. Hard to get to any site tonight, must be everyone in my corner of the world is surfing tonight.
I read a book about personality types and found myself defined so well as a GIVER. I define myself by the relationships I am in. I would assume the loss of my most recent boyfriend has caused me some truama in terms of weight. I have had men in my life since I was a teenager who have helped define how much I could weigh. Without the need to stay slim and trim for my man, I am sort of at a loss. Like an uncaged dieter.
I think most of my life has been spent on a diet, a world of denial and deprivation. But the incentive was always the feedback and approval I got in relationships. Now, I am commiserating at work with other women in their mid forties...some still married, but the incentive no longer there. We are all getting sick of the deprivation factor. ****. The Zone is like any other diet....remove all those comfort foods and concentrate on healthy eating. The hunger is there....I have found myself making HUGE salads as though more lettuce will fill that hole. Today at lunch I thawed a bowl of Chicken Gumbo and ate it and went back to work satisfied. But also knowing that it was out of the Zone. It was warm and spicy and rich.
I think I have dieted my whole life for the approval of a man and now I don't know who I am anymore.... But I do know that what I see in the mirror scares me. I feel like I woke up and found myself middle aged and fat. How'd that happen?
I feel like I need an emotional carrot. If you lose 20lbs, you will find Mr. Right.
And I don't even know if I want a man.... I'm just starting to get to know myself. Don't want to blow that.
It's too early for PMS....but I feel like I have it.
Old 02-01-2001, 08:16 AM   #8  

Hi Alley. You sound so down on yourself today. You are who you are in your own right. You are a mother who loves her kids, and busy with work. It makes sense that you would want someone in your life, just for you. I, myself, have always been independent. I have also been lucky enough to be married to a wonderful man for 27 years. I have friends who are divorced and want to meet a man so badly that sometimes, I worry about them. Men are people to - they have the same hang-ups and fears as we do. You know the saying 'Once bitten twice shy", well that applies to both sexes. I am sure that you will meet Mr. Right - but not at the bar. Those are usually guys who want a one nighter.

Boy am I ever off on a tangent. Keep plugging along on something, and write your worst fears here - we will try look after you as best we can.

Take care, Alley.

Old 02-01-2001, 09:06 AM   #9  

I don't know who I am either and most days...I don't want to know!!! I look in the mirror and think...who are you? I usually define myself in relation to others...somebody's wife, somebody's mother, somebody's grandmother, somebody's teacher and on it goes. But who am I REALLY! Mind boggling questions, all!

I am a 53 year old woman (soon to be 54) with the crud/cold/virus/flu/whatever right now...thought it was gone but it came back. I'm tired of being sick and sick of being tired!
Old 02-01-2001, 04:06 PM   #10  

Hello Ladies

I'm not getting much of anything done these days!LOL Pulled another all nighter and not to bed yet! What is up with that??????

Hope we all get to feeling better soon!

My son was here today to help with something on the computer and my brain is being dysfunctional!!!!!LOL (I know..I know...nothing new!)

How can you all WRITE SOOOOOOO MUCH

------------------
Old 02-02-2001, 03:07 AM   #11  

Candice...it hasn't been so very long ago that YOU had a looong post!!! Did you forget that one? My brain has always been dysfunctional...

Jenna is back to her old self again. Eating and sleeping normally THANK GOD!!! And I mean that literally...I truly believe it is because of prayer! You wouldn't believe the turn around in that baby in the last few days. She is back to being her old sweet self...happy and content!

Now...if I could just get back to being MY old sweet self. The crud/whatever is some better. I have had a headache for 3 days now but it feels like it is finally backing off, too. So maybe I'm on the mend...with everything except the fibro and arthritis, anyway! The Drs. office called the other day and told me the blood tests I had done last week showed that my blood count is back down again...I could've told them that! Guess I need to load up on protein again...but all I've been craving lately is carbs!

Did any of you see Oprah's show Tues.? She had Dr. Phil (McGraw) on there and I've heard rave reviews on the show...was about facing issues on why you are overweight or something like that. He is supposed to tell you what to do to lose it next Tues. I missed this week...want to try to catch it next week, though.

How's everyone's diet going? Mine is going going gone! I'm back on track now, though. (I hope!) I haven't been able to exercise because of my knee, haven't been able to Oxycise because of my cough and haven't been able to focus on losing weight because of all the "stuff" going on around here...but...hopefully, I'M BACK! I'm going to try to Oxycise tonight, at least see if I can do it without coughing. I have Jenna, of course, plus I will have Ross (4) after preschool as my daughter has gone to Kentucky today, then daughter and hubby will both be coming in around 6 or 7 for dinner...and during all of this going on I have piano lessons scheduled! Don't know how I'm going to juggle it all and I may be too tired to do anything else but go to bed!

Hope I didn't write another "novel"!

MEME

Old 02-02-2001, 06:12 AM   #12  

Oh God, I almost tooted in my pants. That was a good one.
See, that is what I am scared of . Getting back out in the dating world and finding someone with his dicky in a sling.
I continue to read my book on Enneagrams. If I am a Giver, I should find someone who understands that I tend to lose myself into trying to figure out who THEY want me to be and that what I really, really want deep down is for the person to treat me like I am treating them.
In other words, all the giving I have done in past relationships is done for a reason. I'm not just a doormat. I want something in return and when I don't get it, I get manipulative and distant and I strike out on my own.
But as I spend this single time in rumination and I look in the mirror and try to figure out who I am....it's that old fat lady looking back at me that is driving me nuts. I wish I could look at her and find contentment, but I look at her and want to cringe.
I think I am going to try a different diet next week and try to peel off a few pounds. I get this way in diets when I feel like I am depriving myself of every food I love and am still not losing weight.
I have yo-yo dieters syndrome. I don't need much to keep me alive at this point. I have slowed my metabolism down to slug level.
Meme...I like that Dr. Phil too and if I remember I will tape Oprah next week (and that would mean I have to study the timing instructions starting right now). BUT, I like Dr. Phil cause he is a real guy, chubby and bald. If he knows why we gain weight and why we can't lose it and how to rectify that.......how come he is bald and chubby?
Ahhhhhhhh. He has gone beyond that. He likes himself the way he is.....
Old 02-02-2001, 03:56 PM   #13  

Ok gals.....clean up your act! Leave it to the single gals to talk about the implants and things falling off!

Tootie..you could have pulled a Lorrane Bobbit!LOL

Meme..you tire me out just thinking about your plans! Glad Jenna is ok!

I have never written a loooooooong- loooooooong post!LOL

------------------
Old 02-03-2001, 04:50 AM   #14  

Hi Fibropals, How are you all doing today? We are having spring here, I think. It is 52 above and the sun is shining and it is an absolutely beautiful day. So far we have not had winter. It makes one feel good when it is like this. This is called a Chinook, a warm westerly wind (not gale, just a light wind). Unfortuneatley, lots of people have been known to commit suicide during Chinooks. They are most prevalent in Southern Alberta, but Central Alberta gets the tale end and we rejoice.

Candice dear - Tootie is single and so is Alley. Meme lives with Viagra Man and I am not sure about you - or me (lol)How are you feeling these days. I started walking and have been going twice a week to a gym to do so. To slippery outside, plus I get to have coffee Next week, if my knee holds up, I may increase it to 3 times a week. Also have been doing stretching exercises, but now my back hurts today. I have to remember to go slow (very,very,slow) with them or else I will not be walking at all next week.

Meme - Thank goodness Jenna is back to normal. How in the world do you do all that. If I have company for the weekend it takes me 2 days to get over it. I could sleep and sleep, and then midweek I wake up and feel not so bad.

Alley - I sure don't know what I would do if I got thrown back into the dating game. Probably nothing - I don't know if I could be bothered with that game again. Hopefully, I will never need to find out. My Dad died when he was 59 and my Mom was 58. She lived her life alone and happy and she passed away 1 month before her 82nd birthday. When she was 78 she had to go to a nursing home, as she had Alzheimers Disease, but until then she had tons of friends (lived in a seniors apartment, not retirement home) The only difference between this apartment and a normal one was that the rent was a lot less, and they checked on everyone everyday. Asked her why she never wanted to meet someone else, and she just said no, she would just compare them to your dad and that wouldn't be right.
So, I will probably be like my Mom.

Phyllis - Do they have senior apartments where you live. My Mom was 65 when she moved into one. She always felt safe and happy there.

Well another novel for poor Candice to read. http://www.arthritis.ca/programs%20a...sp?mode=static Hope this works. It is quite a good article on FM.

Old 02-03-2001, 06:08 AM   #15  

Happy Ground Hogs Day.....believe it or not this is my wedding anniversary. Makes sense.
I remember when I was making my final decision about whether or not I could make the marriage work. A marriage counselor told me that if the marriage continued it was because I was willing at accept that nothing would ever change. I continued at that pace for another two years, then called it quits. I remember single friends warning me that the single life ain't all that great. Too many women, too few decent men. And all men want to choose the prettiest, youngest. Not too many wanting to step into a ready made family. But I took my chances. Said being single was better than living in misery. Have to remember that. This was a choice I made voluntarily. I had a long term boyfriend, surprisingly....but he could not be relied on, he wanted to rely on me.
So...this void is something I wasn't prepared to fill.
I seem to be filling it with preoccupations of food.
I decided that tomorrow I am going to a dept store and am buying some jeans in a size that fit me. Too bad I can't trade all those size 12s in my closet. SOme weekends I choose to stay home cause I am only comfortable in my sweat pants.
I have got to get out of the house. Not in search of men, in search of me.
I think I am going to make a big pot of chicken soup. Eat that and salad next week. I do much better if the meal is all prescribed. No choices.
I have been tweaking and increasing my ZOne portions. I can see this as a lifestyle for eating, not for dieting though.
Have a nice weekend girls.
Closed Thread