Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #46  

That is scary if he won't give up driving!!!!

Nice you sis ahs a good amn to take of her.

I still can't bend due to my back and do stairs due to my knee.....tryting to get some rest..b ut it;s hard.

Last edited by Candicej; 06-21-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #47  

What names are MiMI and Tammy under on FB....

Last edited by Candicej; 06-22-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #48  

Default Hey There

Candice Mimio it might br Mima< Is Enerestine Maxwell and Tammy is here as Tammy I am Joanne D
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #49  

Knee and back are slowly getting better...Joanne how are you doing?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #50  

Default Hey There

I have felt better.. trying to hold out till 5th July for Dr. appointment..
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #51  

((((((HUGS)))))
Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #52  

The landscapers are supposed to finish up today..they never made it last week.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #53  

Default Hey There

Are you living in a different house this year? You seem to always have a project going..
We got a lot of rain yesterday. May or may not get more today.. Lots flooding in the county. I was not bothered by it.. Christie was o k with the rain . She went out as usual in the rain. Some dogs just won't do that.
have a good week.. I got to work harder on my weight..
Joanne
Old 07-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 169/164/120

Height: 5 ft 1 in

Hello! I am new to 3fc and am glad to find support with others who have fibro. I am currently trying to lose weight using WW. I used WW in 2001 very successfully, but stopped tracking and eventually gained weight again. Then a back injury and my fibro diagnosis came and I gained even more. I was successful in losing weight without a great change in my activity, but I am worried that I won't be as successful this time since my activity level is so reduced. I can walk for 15 minutes and do stretching to keep my joints loose and strengthen my back, but that is about it. Any time I have to walk a great deal in the day I have to use my electric scooter to get through it.

A short intro to me: I am happily married and have 2 kids; DS16 and DD14. I also have 2 dogs; one medium sized mutt that looks like a rottweiler was squished in a vice (he has a lean body and lean face, but the coloring of a Rott.) and one 17 lb Chihuahua/Pomeranian mutant (he is in my avatar). I used to be a middle school science and math teacher, but I quit due to the fibro. I am trying to get into training people on software part-time.

Last edited by Fibrofighter; 07-02-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: fix typo
Fibrofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #55  

Hello Fibrofighter.. I too am trying to get back into my WW way of eating.. It is not easy as our grown son and his wife are living with us and there are snacks all over the place.. I started new today. I will see how long I can last. I need to lose about 15 lbs to get back to goal.
I don't have Fibro but a list of other things.. I won't bore you with my complaints.. I don't like to think about them..
Stick around ,maybe, we can help each other..
My hubby is a retired teacher and I am a retired nurse.Our son is a out of work Architect. Thank God his wife has a good job.Things are not so good here in Florida in his field. Our daughter is a teacher.
Hello Candice.. Hope you are getting relief with your back.
Have a Good Day and 4th.
Joanne
Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #56  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone!

My mother was diagnosed with Fibro years ago, and also has degenerative disk disease.

Over the past few months we have found out I have two bulging disks, and when treatments for that pain weren't making me feel better the doctor turned to Fibro (side-note: I also have PCOS and Endometriosis). I just took my first Cymbalta this morning, and I feel better then I have felt in years! I thought that all of those aches and pains I had were normal, and that everyone felt like that. I'm almost in tears thinking about how I've been in so much pain without realizing why, and just trying to ignore it and live my life. This is all new to me. I'm almost in shock right now. When the doctor told me, I thought it was a sentence to be in pain for the rest of my life, and I cried all day. I see how miserable my mom is (the medications don't work for her, and the one combination that did had too many side effects and she was still miserable) and I was scared that the rest of my life would be like that...

I am amazed to find this much relief with the Cymbalta. I'm completely new to this, and I don't know what the future holds, but this definitely explains why it has been so hard for me to motivate myself to work out, because it always hurt so much. Hopefully now that I have a diagnosis and treatment plan, that will help me actually be able to start getting active again.

I wish that there was more information available about Fibromyalgia out there. I told some close friends I had been diagnosed with Fibro, and they laughed at me and told me that wasn't even a real thing. They thought the whole thing was made up. It really made me angry/hurt, and I didn't really know how to handle it. Has anyone else ever been in that kind of situation?

I'm trying to lose weight with WW at home (not paying for it, just using the program)....and I haven't been very successful yet because I just went off birth control (I've been on hormones for 13 years because of PCOS and I don't feel it's safe anymore) and I've been gaining wait even thought my eating hasn't changed. It's probably just water weight from all the hormone changes. I hope...

A couple years ago I lost 70 pounds and was down to 180, my lowest adult weight ever. I've gained all of that +12 more back over the course of the past 2 years. I've got to get it off because I feel unhealthy and because my boyfriend and I are beginning to talk about marriage and children (because of the PCOS I'm afraid of waiting too long to have children) and I don't want to try having a child at this weight. I would be scared for my health, and the health of the baby. I'm currently around 262, and want to get down to around 155. I have over 100 pounds to lose, and it's a little overwhelming...especially with this new diagnosis. The Cymbalta has given me hope though....and that's something I desperately needed.

Sorry for the long post guys >.<
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 169/164/120

Height: 5 ft 1 in

Hello Joanne! I do know it is a challenge to change eating habits when there are others in the house. I am in charge of making dinner, so I can control that and have options for me and them. Avoiding their snacks is the hardest.

DivineFidelity: I am so glad the Cymbalta is helping you. As far as the naysayers go, I was fortunate that no friends acted that way, but I have had several doctors who were less than sympathetic. As far as information goes, there are 2 organizations that I rely on: NFA (National Fibromyalgia Association) and Fibromyalgia Network. They both have websites and magazines. Fibromyalgia Network does not have ads and reports more on studies than NFA. You can get back issues from Fibromyalgia Network. I found them very helpful when I was first diagnosed. The book "The First Year - Fibromyalgia" by Claudia Craig Marek is very good. Since you are getting married, I recommend the book "Beyond Chaos" by Gregg Piburn for your boyfriend. It is written by a man whose wife has fibro. I bought both on Amazon. If you have any questions, you can send me a private message here.
I am surprised you gained weight coming off the hormones because I gained weight after starting them and this is what pushed my to try to lose weight again.

Happy 4th of July!
Fibrofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #58  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Fibrofighter: Thanks for the information. We're not new to all this, my mom was diagnosed a long time ago so she's been living with it for years, but I don't know as much about it as I probably should. Have you heard anything about changes in diet that can help? I've read so many conflicting things I don't know what to believe.
As for the hormones...My doctor said it's because I was on them for so long without any breaks. I originally did have some weight gain, but I was 9 years old and growing so it wasn't really noticeable. It leveled off after a couple of years though....and then I was on it for 10 more years after that. I think my body just isn't used to being without the hormones. My ritalin and Cymbalta both suppress my appetite though, more then is probably good. I have to force myself to eat. I just make sure I'm eating enough WW points each day, so I know I'm not starving myself. I don't even think about food anymore, I have to set an alarm on my phone to remind me to eat lunch. It's pretty bad, but as long as I make sure I'm eating I don't think it's a reason to stop taking the medicines.
I will definitely look into those books, especially "Beyond the Chaos". My boyfriend seems to deal well with it (i'm assuming I've had it since the pain and memory loss and sleep problems started which was years ago), but sometimes he can say insensitive things without realizing it, mostly about my forgetfulness.

I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of july! I ate a lot of broccoli, a little potatoes, and some fruit.....I didn't want anything else after that, I had to force myself to eat that much. Then we shot off fireworks, which was definitely fun.
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 256/232/175

Hi Fibrofighter! I'm Diona, and I got diagnosed with Fibro officially the last part of April. All in all, I think I'd been misdiagnosed for years...but hey. It's a new thing, now that it's acknowledged in the medical community as real. I found out a lot from my neurologist about what they know so far with the syndrome, and it is real. I am currently doing the South Beach Diet, that works for me quite well, as far as food and nutritional needs. And I'm taking Lyrica (finally!) but that has its drawbacks as one of the main side-effects is edema and the other main one is weight gain. I don't care, I'm going to succeed anyway! Still working at walking with some amount of coordination, and getting up to 20-30 minutes every 3rd day..when I start hurting I just tell myself that "this will not kill you and it will not hurt you other than pain, and pain you can deal with for a little while" Then I pretty much collapse and have a few down days, but it is getting easier!! Today I put on a top that I haven't been able to wear (too small!!!) and it is tight-ish. I put it back in the drawer with a grin and told me "This is your goal shirt! When you can put this on in a week or so, you can really celebrate how great you are!", then put on another top that I couldn't wear for over a year..and its a little bit loose on me! PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!!! Celebrate small victories...they add up to huge victories!
Diona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #60  

Hello Everybody.. Still having a problem with my eating..
I have a nasty heel spur. It has been injected and I have been given medication. I see the podiatrist Friday. Hope he can do something. It has been a month now.Lots of pain..It has limited my walking.. I don't walk the 4 miles a day anymore . Knees are gone and I can't have the surgery due to my health.
We have been getting some good rain.. We sure needed it..
Hello Candice, Happy. I hope you are well..
Joanne