Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #46  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Karen, I am so sorry your son is having a flair up.
for me when all else fails I can drink ensure. if you are lactose intolorant there is sustical. but maybe the best right now is a TPN drip. I hope he feels better soon. AND whatever calories he can get in are good calories.

My update is that I seem to not be tolorating the imniosupressant. really too bad because I feel amazing! I truthfully have not felt this good ever, but I have had 2 bad blood tests. the plan is to be off the meds for a week and then go on a minimal dose and retest blood in 3 weeks after that.

I hope if nothng else I have gotten enough to help heal some of the bad stuff and I hope that I can tolorate a low dose...I know there are other drugs and I will cross that bridge when I get to it.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Default Carb Conscious Results

Howdy,
Great news. DS, sufferer of Crohn's for over a year and IBS for many years, has been off meds for several months in preparation for yesterdays trial meds infusions. They were the next generation of Remicaid. Doc told him he was too healthy, i.e. symptom free, and said to come back in June for further assessment. He has also gained 3 more pounds. This holy season of Easter has a particular sense of gratitude in our home. Rockinrobin, thank you for directing us a year ago.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #48  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

So happy for you and your son Karen. Continued good health!
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Gratis. Do not know if this is a temporary reprieve or permanent remission. Either way, it is a wonderful place to be.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #50  

I am therefore aware of the additional challenges that you are faced with.
ahmedayad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 82/70.5/70kg

Height: 165cm

I had colitis for many years going to the bathrooms every 20-30 mins.

Around 5 years ago I had my appendix removed. Studies have shown that patients with colitis and who have their appendix removed have a 60% chance of remission.

They can not find the link BUT like in my case the appendix was inflammation (in my specific case it had burst and healed causing problems).

I am back to normal. Look for Professor Terry Bolin.
dimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 350/tracker

Height: 5'10

I haven't read all of the posts, so forgive me if this was already asked/mentioned. But today, I took a walk with my brother around the block for 15 minutes and it was a really good walk I think, my heart was beating, blood was pumping. I felt great afterward for a few minutes, but then maybe 10 minutes after we got back I got a horrible stomach ache and ended up in the bathroom with awful diarrhea. Sorry for the TMI, but this is the colitis thread. I have horrible urgency issues, so I have to find a bathroom within SECONDS of feeling that rumble or like I have to go. Does this happen to anyone else? Now I am terrified of exercising outside of the home again, even for a short walk like that. I wouldn't be able to run all the way home and there aren't any bathrooms around.. I've gotten to a bathroom too late before and it's absolutely mortifying. Any tips would be really helpful, or at least just knowing that I'm not the only one..
tranquilize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilize View Post
I haven't read all of the posts, so forgive me if this was already asked/mentioned. But today, I took a walk with my brother around the block for 15 minutes and it was a really good walk I think, my heart was beating, blood was pumping. I felt great afterward for a few minutes, but then maybe 10 minutes after we got back I got a horrible stomach ache and ended up in the bathroom with awful diarrhea. Sorry for the TMI, but this is the colitis thread. I have horrible urgency issues, so I have to find a bathroom within SECONDS of feeling that rumble or like I have to go. Does this happen to anyone else? Now I am terrified of exercising outside of the home again, even for a short walk like that. I wouldn't be able to run all the way home and there aren't any bathrooms around.. I've gotten to a bathroom too late before and it's absolutely mortifying. Any tips would be really helpful, or at least just knowing that I'm not the only one..
The thread is old, last post was in 2011. But you are not alone. Most days I'm fine. I'm mainly diet controlled and avoiding medications as long as possible. But today I was about to go to yoga, and now I will be missing the class as I've had two episodes and I'm not willing to change getting there and having to run downstairs to the bathroom. I have only not made it to the restroom a couple times. Once was at work. I always keep extra undies/scrubs with me at work, just in case. Luckily being healthcare, people get it.
Some days suck more than others. What treatments do you use? Have you attempted diet control? For me quitting processed food made a huge difference. It's hard, but so worth it because I have a lot more control over my life.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

And today I'm frustrated because this is day #3 in a row with issues. My diet is fairly strict. I don't know what else to do. I really don't want to take immodium and end up on the constipated end of the spectrum. I go through bouts of no BM for a week, and then diarrhea for multiple days in a row sometimes. It had been getting better over the last couple months with the mostly paleo ish diet. I'm not sure if I just ate something to upset it, but three days seems excessive. My poor kid is bored in the living room, he was excited to go the gym and now he has to wait for me to stop being right next to the bathroom. :/
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:57 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

What a great thread!

I have been dealing with ulcertive colitis bouts since I was 18. I already had one useless exploratory surgery and narrowly avoid another after a flare this past March.

I have avoided actual medications for this problem for years and have a great holistic/integrative doctor that works with me. I try to eat healthy, although I notice when I get going for too long on wine, caffeine, nuts and bad processed food I am more likely to have a flare up.

I have been on a medical food called Ultra-inflammax for years now. I recommend this for everyone and I use it nearly every morning. It is loaded with tumeric and essential vitamins in a gluten free powder you can mix with water or make smoothies from. I like to mix in coconut water+kiefer and this has been immensely helpful.

Diet wise, it is hard during a flare up and I have to go on a low residue diet. But once things start looking better just keep to whole healthy digestible food with not too much fiber. It is really important to try and find your trigger foods and any underlying allergies you may have. Mine is spicy foods, hard liquor and popcorn.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote