Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #1  
Fit by 50

S/C/G: 243/243/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Easing in

**I posted this originally under "exercise" because I managed to miss this Heading ** Sorry for the double post.

I've tried getting back into the exercise habit before (when I can turn off the excuses), but I always tend to get discouraged because I am so very out of shape and I usually end up hurting myself.

I was in good shape eons ago when I got pregnant for my son (ok, 13 years ago)... pulled my round muscle and wasn't allowed to exercise while pregnant. Ended up with an emergency C-section. My core has never been back. I did work out after he was born and was getting back in shape with the help of my local gym, until I found out I was pregnant again. I had made it back down to 160 by the time I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and had planned on continuing with the gym while carrying her - until I started bleeding. So, I was banned from exercising again. Repeat on the emergency C-section (even though premie). Now my core was REALLY shot. Had a rough first year with my daughter, so exercising was the least of my concerns. Then my hubby was in a bad accident with the kids and my life revolved around taking care of him, until I got sick from all the stress - triggered what I later found out was Fibromyalgia.

After the next 2, almost 3 years of being nearly bedridden from my pain and pumped full of meds from the doctors, I quit the pain meds and went to a pain clinic. They had me exercise there as part of my rehabilitation. I started walking a treadmill at home regularly... well then life had some more downs and eventually I moved out and started school again and divorced. Thus began another few years of being mostly sedentary (except for walking and biking between classes). Graduated and started helping my new man with his business.

I now work 6 days a week, mostly behind a desk. Have my two kids to take care of most of the time - mostly by myself. I don't get a lot of time (my biggest excuse) and am often exhausted at the end of my day - which is usually around 9, after kids have been fed and homework done - and they go to bed.

I've tried working out with a friend to coach me, but was told by my doctor to stop because I would bleed after every evening of exercise. I've been checked more times than I can count and my doctor has never figured out why, except to suggest a hormonal issue. I do have a metabolic disorder I was born with, so my hormones are regularly messed up and I do have to be careful about my protein intake, which means I am a carb hog.

Since I finished school, I've stacked on 40 pounds (in a year). It can't stay. I have to take responsibility and I KNOW that my biggest issues are lack of exercise and boredom eating.

I started working out last night with "YourShape" for the Wii. I did the assessment exercises and a workout. I want to try to work out at least 15 minutes a day and work my way up to 30 and so on. I will take a couple days off a week because of my schedule. I haven't bled so far, thank God.

I know my core is the worst but I am also fighting a lot of belly fat and overall heaviness. My doctor put me on fenofibrate for cholesterol and triglycerides and it damaged my right thigh muscle. I have pain it is today from the workout, but it's bearable. (I'm now on fish oil and CoQ10 and my levels are perfect).

I have a very hard time finding workouts I can keep up with that don't make me wish I hadn't done it the next day. I think I am going to stick with YourShape and add in some Just Dance for fun (I love dancing), as well as take walks and hopefully bike rides with my kids (although those will be more leisurely, I am sure).

I'm sorry for the book, but does anyone have advice with how I start out without killing or scaring myself out of it? I want to build gradually and it seems like so many routines are for the already fit. I'd even like to consider running again some day.

Thanks so much for making it this far! haha
BabyMama37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #2  

Leslie Sansone's Walking off the Pounds dvds are excellent. You do them at home, not outside. The beginning set is 15 minutes. There are 4 workouts on the dvd and it ends up with an hour. I found it at Walmart. You don't have to kill yourself working out. You just need to move.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #3  
Fit by 50

TY Quilter. Congrats on your success! WOW! I managed to take off 3 lbs this last week, and my soreness from my first workout wore off. I took my kids to the waterpark yesterday and got a little workout in by simply treading water in the deep end. There wasn't room for laps, but like you said, moving is better than not. I also took fresh veggies to munch on, since I knew the kids wanted cheeseburgers for dinner. I made them myself and use low fat ground beef - 90-10 and cooked them in the broiler instead of in a pan, so more fat loss there too. I kept it to one and regular serving sizes of the sides. I'm feeling good about the choices I am making and feel it's sustainable because I am not denying myself, only limiting.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:06 PM   #4  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

Diet for weight, exercise for fitness.

You can get started on your weight loss goals and improving general health by eating appropriately, even if you can't exercise. It's great that you have started this and it's important to continue getting your diet into a good place for you. Easing in is a great way to make permanent changes that will last a lifetime. I often go all in only to crash within a short time because I try to take on too much at once, so I fully support your easing in approach!

Regarding exercise, I would really stress getting a program set up by a professional, like your doctor or a physical therapist. Walking and swimming are great low impact exercises to get you started and improve general fitness and health. However, with so many complicating factors you really must tread lightly (pun!) when approaching exercise.

Again, you can eat healthfully and appropriately without exercising (though exercise is very important to overall well-being for sure), so you can do that while determining what exercise program would be safe and appropriate for your situation.

Best of luck for your continued success!
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #5  
Fit by 50

Hmpfh. Apparently the 117.4 was an anomaly. Actually at 119.6 and holding. So, a pound lost.

Didn't exercise like I should have this past week. It's so hard to fit it in when the kids are home. I did swim a bit when I took the kids to the water park, but not laps, because too many people were about. I did spend time treading water, so I was at least moving.

I have leads on a couple of bike for the kids, so hopefully I will make myself workout this week while the kids are gone and will be able to take bike rides with them when they come home.

I'm still trying to be aware of what goes in my mouth, but admit the weekend was difficult.

I think I have decided a bit of interval training is best for me. I know it's worked in the past and it will allow me to build up strength and endurance over time. So what if I can only exercise for five minutes at a time (huffing and puffing exercise), if I rest a few minutes and then go at it again, then at least I am still doing it. Before long I will be able to go longer intervals.