Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #16  

Chris, glad to hear that Larry's back is better! I hope today is a better day for you!! Yesterday sounded like it was the pits! Funny about the bad weather and everyone panicing (I don't know how to spell that!). The same thing happens around here at times. I will admit when we lived out in the country, we would stock up on canned goods before winter really started. That way we weren't caught by surprise. We had many times when our power would go out, and we heated food on our kerosene heaters.

Meme, I might just take you up on sitting on the porch when it's warmer!! Ginger Michelle is a cute name for that adorable puppy!! I look at her pictures every time I log on here.

Mima, I'm a worrywart too!

Not sure what is up with hubby this morning. A bit grumpy. He left earlier and didn't say a word. I know he went to the store because my shopping list is gone.
I'm meeting a friend and her 3 grandsons for lunch at McDonalds today. Should be fun. The kids are pretty cute and well-behaved which is great because Sue and I can visit.

Have a great day everyone!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #17  

Hi everybody.

Meme - that puppy is just so cute. I bet you are enjoying her and her whole name is cute. Suits her.

Mima - you have to watch the type of fiber when you have IBS. I don't know about the problem you have. Bran is very bad for me. I just eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies. I am NOT a worrywort. I have always thought that it was just wasted energy to worry about stuff that hasn't happened. When it happens, you will still have plenty of time to worry After all, it may NEVER happen.

Fibro-fog just is such a horrid thing. I absolutley detest it. Haven't had it since I got rid of the yeast and my energy levels have been much, much better.

Tammy - Enjoy your lunch with your friend. Hubby might come home in a better mood (at least I hope so).

Chris - glad Larry is feeling better. Back pain is not nice. I like your humor. Had a good little chuckle. Put that day behind you - some days are just that way!!! Hope today is better. I hope your tummy feels better.

Joanne - where are you?? I hope you are doing ok.

It is miserable here. The wind is blowing so hard (I hate the wind) kept me awake last night. It is also snowing and it is cold. The only good thing is that this combination of things, makes me pain free. It's to cold for any moisture in the snow. The only time they close a school around here, is in the country. If the snowplows haven't been out, the bus can't get down the road! As for stockpiling - NO! I would find this funny as well Chris. It is all relevant to where you live.

I have to go see a new Dr. at 10:00 a.m. I sure hope he will be nice. Not many DRs. are taking new patients. Too many patients and too few Drs. A lot of the Drs. go to the USA. They make a lot more money there than they do here under the Canada Health Care System. However, the Drs. in Canada don't get sued like the ones in the USA. Every now and then you here about a case, but not that often.

Hubby is away tonight, so I won't have to cook. I have some chicken left from last night, and that will do me just fine.

I got my hours extended for another week or two. So I have to wait a little longer for the casual time to kick in.

I hope you all have a great day.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #18  
A matter of time

S/C/G: 301/250/145

Height: 5'4"

Anne, me?? Make someone smile?? How did that happen?

With Larry being home, my house is a mess. I need to get in the groove this morning and get things back in order. Guess that means getting off my butt, huh? Ok I am off to clean house.
CarebearsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #19  

Default Hey There

I have been kinda busy... Dr's appointments etc.Just the usual 3 month crap. He put me on a powder for colesterol. the side effect is going to bind me up. I got a feeling my IBS is going to kick in big time.The gas pains are the worse.I will just have to increase the fiber.
Christy is coming along ,SO FAR.Chewing on everything. I just threw away the second throw rug in the kitchun. They were W/M cheap so not a lot of loss. I won't replace them till she stops that distruction.She has chew tows but she went after the rugs.
Chris- Sounds like my humor.. My daughter and I were at a mall a couple months ago. Antigues looking. We were being watched so close I looked at the clerk and said "don't worry ,we only lift every third item".He was so shocked he started laughing.
Tammy- I am a worry wort too. Big cause of high blood preasure.. You will be so relieved when you retire. All your time will be your own..I remember the first time I went to the Library after I retired from nursing. They asked me to help out there. I said I have been waiting a long time to retire. Thanks anyway.
Meme- I think this dog was a retriever mix. I have found out it belongs to a neighbor 2 houses away.They have a short picket fence that he can jump real easy. That doesn't make me feel real good.The hubby says next time he will call the police.
Mima-I get those fog days. I know my B/P is up and go check on it. Awful feeling.. We may get some rain and more cool weather tonight.I wouldn't mind a frost. I had to put advantage on Christy today. The flies are already around. I am allergic to bug bites.
Happy- I hate looking for new Dr.'s. The one we have now is ok. I have seen better,but, when you are with a HMO the choise is not always the best.The hubby is a retired teacher ,so, the school system provides us with a group policy. It is a supplement to our medicare.
Tops tonight. I don't like the scale today. Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #20  
A matter of time

S/C/G: 301/250/145

Height: 5'4"

Well we finally heard from the People to People Ambassador Program. Katie, my step daughter, has been accepted and will be going to Holland for 10 days this summer. She will be on the bowling team. There will be clinics, competitions, and the works. I am so excited for her. This is a huge opportunity. Of course we have to get on the ball and get her a passport and all. July will be here before we know it.
CarebearsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #21  

Chris - shhhh! Don't say July will be here quickly. I need to get a passport for our trip to Denmark in May! The passport lineup at the moment starts are 4:30 a.m. and by the time they open the door at 8:00 a.m. there are over 250 people in the line already. Not everybody get seen the day they take it in, and so they have to do it all over again. This is , of course, because Canadians now need a passport to fly into the USA. Soon the lines should be shorter as people will have them and then I can just go get mine looked after. They have already processed millions of people in Edmonton area, so I am thinking there CAN'T be that many more!

Good for your step-daughter. She will like it. Friends of mine were in Holland last year and took some great pictures. It is really a pretty country.

Have fun cleaning the house. When my hubby is home, I don't seem to get much done.

Joanne - we used to have a black lab, crossed with a great dane He was just too big to handle in the city. He always got out of the yard, and the only one he really listened to was hubby. After about 9 months we had to send him to a farm. I know he would be happier, but it was sad for the rest of us. I remember how he used to chew up everything. I had bought a new pair of shoes, hadn't even worn them yet. There were in the closet, but I had left a sweater hanging on the knob of the closet door, and he pulled it open. Yep, he got my brand new shoe and chewed it to pieces. I hope he had a good time as the shoes went in the garbage.

Well, my new Dr. sure seems nice and he is young, so hopefully he will be around for awhile. My other Dr. was 78, but still had a good practice. I know he went out the way he would have wanted to go. He was still practicing on Friday and passed away on Sunday.

It is cold here, but the sun has come out, the snow has stopped and the sky is the most beautiful blue and so clear. The streets were all sanded so no big problems with driving. They do need the snowplows in some places and I guess they will get to that soon. Supposed to snow again tomorrow.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #22  

Anne, when hubby came home, he was a totally different person! I didn't ask about his earlier mood. Thought I needed to just let it go. I had fun with Sue and the 3 grandsons. I wore a sweatshirt with Mickey Mouse on it, so I was a hit. Glad that you liked the new doctor!! I think we might be shopping for one in the near future also.

Joanne, I've already been offered a couple of volunteer positions here in town. I might take them up on it sometime, but not for a while. I want some Tammy-time first. I didn't like our scales today, and I decided not to even go to my WW meeting. I have been totally off of the program for over a week.

Chris, congratulations to Katie!!!! That is so cool!! Tim received information about that a few years ago, and it would have been the same summer that he went to Europe with the Ohio Music Ambassadors. He was already signed up for that, and we couldn't afford two trips. Heck, we could hardly afford one! lol She will have such a wonderful time while she is there. Sometimes I just sit and look at the pictures that Tim brought back. They are so lucky to be able to go there!!

Bob mentioned that he thought he and I should get passports. I guess it won't hurt to have them. I don't plan on really going anywhere except maybe up into Canada. I guess we'll be needing a passport for there soon, but I don't know all the details.

Today was rather mild compared to the past several days. I think it was up to 25 degrees. No sunshine though, and only a few snow flurries.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 AM   #23  

They closed schools here today ... no reason to ... didn't even snow. So silly.

Hubby's aunt is 78 and her husband died right before Christmas. You may remember me saying his uncle died. They didn't have any children and although she has 3 brothers and a sister, they live in other states. She called and asked me if I would call her every night and check on her in case she fell or something. Now she is sick ... has bronchitis. I sent over some vegetable soup I made tonight (by hubby). Last night we had to go over and open a medicine bottle for her ... the stupid drugist had put one of those childproof caps on that you have to push down and turn and she couldn't get it open. Tell me why they'd put one of those on a 78 yr. old woman's bottle? She had even specified no childproof caps. Her Dr. just died, too. She wants me to try and find her a new one. I'll try mine first. It'll probably be hard because she's on Medicare.

On top of that, we just had election at church and they put me in as Coordinator of Education. That means I will be overseeing all the Sunday School, Children's Church, Sunday Night & Wednesday Night classes. We don't elect teachers, the Educaion Coordinator appoints them and we don't order material the Education Coordinator puts it together or gets what the teachers want if it is suitable. In other words ... it's another big job. Our church has been running between 120 & 150 and about 40-50 kids. You tack the choir, piano students, the business, housework and family on to that and I need another day or two added to my week. (Oh, yeah, I forgot about puppy training. That's taking a lot of my time now! Right Joanne!)

Congratulations on your S-Daughter, Chris. She must be a very good bowler.

That IBS stuff is bad news. I can't stand when that acts up on top of everything else I have. I think I'd just as soon my cholesterol be high and forget about it. Can't you take garlic and exercise or something. They say green tea is good for that, too.

Mima, your hubby is good at making things, he could probably put a lift in your house, it's easy to do. All mine did was cut a hole in the floor (this was as we were building). Then he made a frame out of steel (he made this at work, he works in a tool shop) and bolted it to the basement floor. He made a floor with four frames that sit inside the outer frame bolted to the basement floor. Then he hung a moterized hoist with a hand held remote in the attic & attached it to the top of floor part & it makes the lift go up or down and that's it. Alison would just roll her wheelchair onto the floor and push the button on the remote. Only thing I don't like about it is the motor is a little noisy. Otherwise, it works just fine.

Last edited by MemeToo; 05-15-2007 at 06:43 PM.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:14 AM   #24  

Wow!! How clever of hubby. We don't have a basement but we do have a garage. Maybe we will need it for us-we live upstairs. Sure sounds like a Brad project.
I woke up the night before with horrible gas pains and they continued half the day. I had been increasing my fiber with Benefiber but then I took a dose of metamucil. Plus I was eating lots of fiber foods. The funny thing is that I didn't have IBS symptoms while I was doing this. the hard part for me is the extensive diverticulosis and I can't get constipated-that seems to precede an infection. Woe is me!!!!!!!! need a balance.
DIL's bd is today. We have to give up a real fun crazy party with our Sunday school!!!!!Crazy hat party,
We have friends from MA who always come in Feb and now the cooler weather is coming back. Last year they froze.And they spend big bucks to rent on Sanibel.
Glad you liked your new doc, Anne.We have a much easier time getting passports-just go to the town hall. Hope it dies down for you.
but your health system seems good.
Soon, Tammy , soon.
I'm happy for you sd Chris-exciting. Bet you will be glad when hubby goes back to work.
I'm getting frustrated with Brad-all he does is trains. He's gotta start cleaning up. Most I can do is ask hime to do things-he is sure good about that.It;s that cave thing.
Bye for now-Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 AM   #25  

Default Hey There

Meme- Puppy training does take a big chuck out of the day. I hope I am getting somewhere. One clean week down!.. I have another problem- She is very aggressive at feeding time. I mean ready to attack! Give me some advise. I have never had a dog do this.. I can't afford a trainer..Just for that. Otherwise she is turning into a nice puppy.I am going to get some Bran today.. I drink G/tea all the time and garlic is a staple around here. My hubby is Greek and loves his garlic. It is in about everything I cook. Even eggs, or rather egg sub. I take Red yeast rice. I can't take the other colesterol meds.
Tammy- Tammy time is good. Enjoy every minute.People will try to get your time,but, don't give in. You have earned it.
Mima- At least your hubby has his hobbie. It is nice he will clean up and help you.A lift in your upstairs sounds good. The time seems to always come when we find stairs hard to climb.
Mine won't do much more than watch TV most of the time. He does work in the yard ,sometimes. Not often enough to make a big difference. Then he complains he is gaining weight and refuses to eat.I can't win.His mother did much the same thing. She stopped doing anything for herself in her 70's.My hubby slept at her place for almost 10 years. We couldn't stand her here. At that time I had her daughter with cancer,my mother to do for, and her. At the same time my hubbys brother was diagnosed with cancer and went into hospise. We had to put my MIL in nursing home in her 80's and she lived there for 10 years. Oh Yes, It was the N/H where I was charge nurse on the floor they put her on. Think that was fun?My life at that time was not happy.Enouh of my whinning.
Hello Happy..
Joanne
Old 02-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #26  

Default Hey There

PS- I need to check my spelling closer... Joanne
Old 02-03-2007, 03:22 AM   #27  

Hmmm ... reading your post, Joanne, reminds me how close all that's getting for me. I went through a little of that with my mom back about 4 years ago when she had her strokes. Some of you probably remember all that. Gee ... doesn't seem like we've been here that long, does it? Hubby's aunt I was telling you about will be needing looking after because she has no one plus his parents are nearly 90 years old. He has a brother but they depend on us more than they do his brother and SIL. Like tonight ... they asked us to go to Wal Mart and pick up medicine and milk for them. I don't know why that is - maybe because he is the oldest son. But more likely because he calls them all the time and asks if they need anything! Hubby actually apologized to me because I am having to do so much for his aunt. I told him it wasn't his fault. I said I felt like I have a mother to take care of again but this time at least she is sweeter! (That sounded ugly but I didn't mean for it to!) You know what? I'll be 60 this year. I'm just so glad I can help them out and I'll do it gladly and with patience because too soon it will be me someone will have to be helping out.
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #28  

Meme-you don't have to explain that comment to me-my mother was hard to deal with and I did most of it until she wanted to get out of the nursing home and my brothers gave in-so I said you take care of her-very hard for me to do-then she went back in the nh and she was more adjusted.
I would do just about any errand for my aunt but then she gives me Vera Bradley pocketbooks to pay me back-ha-I don't want anything.
The lady down here asks us to do stuff-but I get resentful sometimes. But she is a sweet lady and most of the stuff is for Brad to do. At least she didn't ask us to move the same furniture again. She is just now shredding cards from her parents stuff from the 1980's, Too much. Funny thing is that she has a man here who would like to marry her but she's holding out-he has too many health problems,
Looks like we all have to deal with someone one time or the other.
Bought some new fiber that was half soluble and half insoluble-28.95 at the health store. Flax.
Joanne-I can't take any of the statins so I take zetia for the cholesterol.it's a script.
Jill loved her presents.We had fun.
Mima
Old 02-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #29  

Meme, you are one busy lady!!! I'm sure the relatives are glad to have you helping out. It is alot of work on you, but you know that you are doing the right thing. My hubby will be 60 this year too. Party??

Mima, our neighbor man where we used to live has a basement full of trains. He and Brad should get together and compare notes.

Joanne, when I have people wanting me to do something after retirement, I'll try to remember what you've said. Thanks for the advice! Sounds like you were pretty busy taking care of family members also.

Met a friend for lunch today. We had alot of laughs.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:40 AM   #30  

Way to go Meme-I like to put the responsibility on Brad too.
things are heating up for the missionary's visit. Our good friends invited us to dinner-He joked that they were having steak and potato and Brad said thet;s too much. He said I wasn't giving you anything to eat-I just invited you here.
I finally found a jacket I wanted but it might be the same as my friend's coat. If it is, I will bring it back and get the other one. I think she will wear hers today. Brad thinks I am silly! Burlington coat factory! They had a ton of coats-ski jackets, ski pants!! For Florida??? That would be for the people who go on trips I guess.
We watched Cinderella Man-great movie. A good picture of the depression!
Have a great Sunday everyoen. mima