Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Although the Diabetes Self-Management Magazine (DSMM) gives the results of that one year research test, it also has an article on when avoiding burnout of controlling our blood sugar. In it one of the signs of burnout is not checking your blood sugar everyday. I agree that if I wasn't checking my FBS plus checking it later in the day it would actually mean that I am not eating right to control it.

I don't know how much of the higher readings I had the past month or so was stress because my doctor seems to think it is so important to walk and I was doing a lot of walking the past month to month and a half. All that walking should have compensated for at least part of the stress. Who knows, maybe it did. I guess it could have been worse.

Carol Sue, you might could call the doctor's office and leave a message to the doctor that you already had a lipid test and request the A1c. I can email my doctor's on their website and make requests. I've done that before. I don't know how that works where you are but it is worth a try.

As for Daddy, our goal is to get him back to using his walker. I don't think he is even thinking of walking with a cane or alone. He does talk about getting back to using his walker. Also, we don't want to have to move Daddy from where he is and we sure don't want him so far away. My cousin says everyone she has talked to who works at the place she told me about or who lives there or has anything to do with that place are happy there, but she was with a Veterans motorcycle group that went on Fridays. They took food and drinks for Happy Hour etc and spent all day with the Veterans who live there. I've worked in nursing home facilities and I'm sure they were only their best behavior for that group especially with it being State funded by Veterans. In fact, part of our state lottery money goes to fund the Veterans in this state. So naturally they are going to look good for them.

I like having him 20 minutes away because they don't know when we are going to just walk in. However, I have to say that my Daddy's mind is very sharp. This morning he didn't get his 2 pills he is supposed to get long before his other meds. It is his thyroid and 1 heart medicine that gets him going in the morning. It is important to take those 1st thing with water. When he asked the nurse why he didn't get it, she said she just put it in with his other medicine. He told her that he can't take it that way and why. He has already took care of it as far as he knows. He also told his regular RN who said she would take care of it. I still think it is better for him to be close.

I love popcorn for a snack but I can't eat it either. I finally quit buying it. I think I might either have a boiled or scrambled egg for a snack at night when I need it.

How is your foot doing? I hope it gets better. My knees and hip have been a little sore. I ended up doing 20 minutes on the bike hoping it is going to make it stop. We are also having rain today so it could be the problem too. Dang I hate it that I'm at the age that my joints predict the weather. LOL!!!

Edited to correct name of magazine. It is Diabetes Self-Management Magazine.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-28-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I think that statement made by DSMM is just a general statement based on their research, but it doesn't apply to my friend. I don't know if she would ever start checking her blood sugar if it got worse, but right now she feels she is eating and exercising properly to control it so she doesn't need to test. Her diet is very limited. She pretty much eats the same thing every day. I also remember a coworker's father didn't test. He ate whatever he wanted and took his Metformin. Now I don't think that's right, but because my friend got a good A1c two times in a row I feel she is in control without testing.

My foot feels a little better today, but I took a lot of OTC pain meds overnight. I have switched to a different shoe today to see if that would help. The shoes I was wearing were slip on sneakers which I prefer, but they don't have much support. Today I am wearing lace-up Nikes that give my foot a lot of support. It is achy, but tolerable. I have things to do and can't be just sitting around. Enough is enough.

Next week I am going to go to the lab and request that they don't do the Lipid Profile. If they refuse, then I will take further steps.

Today I was watching a medical show on TV and they said that a patient has the right to refuse any treatment, even if doing so is life threatening, so I feel that I have the right to not get the testing that the doctor requested without my consent. If he had discussed it with me I would have told him that the cardiologist already did that testing. I didn't even know he wrote for it until I got home and looked at the paper work.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-29-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #48  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol, you can always cross off the test you don't want when you go, since you still want the other one. And yes, you can always refuse any test or procedure. Your doc should have access to the labs from the cardiologist. I sure hope your foot gets better soon.
I have a free NOOM app on my phone, but there are advanced options you can pay for. I am food tracking and its tracking steps, I can also track BS with it.
I have been busy with work, but slept last night. Had trouble getting to sleep, until DH came to bed, and then I was able to relax and slept well. Funny how a honey makes you feel able to let the day go.

I have to be careful with the dairy, I am using the lactaid pills, but they only cover so much, so a larger servings needs more lactaid. I only have lactose free milk, so I have to take care of other things.
I have had servings of broccoli and kale and peas, and snow peas and pea soup, all without significant problems. They are fairly small servings so far, but adds variety to my veggie life. I am going to try cauliflower tonight.

So far it seems lactose and gluten are the big problems. that is enough to cut out without other things like veggies.

Have a good day all
Old 03-28-2018, 09:15 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 304.2/298/124

Height: 5'3"

wannabehealthy and fatmad The plan is working for me so far and I hope things stay on track. I do know that I have to weigh, measure, and count everything I eat. I have no ability to estimate things. I have goals for each meal and overall everyday and this makes things very doable for me. My blood sugars are relatively good and i've only gone higher when I had too many carbs in one meal, but that was before I knew how many to have. I've never been high by diabetic standards even on those few occaisions. My highest(168) was when I ate some "sugar free" candy that had sugar alcohols in it which act just like sugar. Mostly I stay between 100 and 130. I will wait and see how this affects me long term and praying my next A1C will be below 6.5.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:52 AM   #50  

I don't know if I mentioned this, but recently I have had a low-grade fever. I didn't feel sick, and I wasn't sure if my thermometer was working right. Last night it was 100.6. My foot was hurting, so in the middle of the night I took Tylenol and Motrin. After a while, I felt very warm and kicked the covers off. When I woke up this morning I was drenched in sweat. I took my temperature and it is 98.8. I wonder what that was all about? I will have to watch this now and see if it happens again. Something might be going on. At least now I know my thermometer is right.

Sounds like you're doing well with this, Momtopands! I know I would be very happy with those numbers. It should also help with your weight loss. Going to the Diabetes Education class was beneficial to you. It helped you understand what to do. I wish I could get into the habit of weighing and measuring. I bought a really nice food scale planning to do that, but it got put away and I never bother to bring it back out again. I need to find a place for it where it's handy. I "think" I know portions, but I might find I am way off in my estimates.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #51  
Madeleine

Momtopands: You should be pleased to be seeing good results, and you are learning what triggers your high BS.
I for one can't do the weigh and measure. I did it for a few month on WW and I didn't lose, though I didn't gain either. But psychologically I was going nuts. It felt like all I thought about was food. Day and night. I dreamed of it. And I binged horribly.
For others measuring helps them control their calories and they don't obsess. I'm a little jealous of them.
I know its not an easy way, and what I do is hard too.
This is a hard road, managing diabetes and losing weight.
I can understand why people sign up for Jenny Craig and let someone else do the cooking.
(can you tell its been a difficult week but I have stuck to plan? but dang its been difficult)
Old 03-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #52  

I have not eaten since dinner and I am struggling to go to bed without a snack. It's a hard habit to break.

Goodnight!
Old 03-30-2018, 12:27 AM   #53  

Just logged my food on MFP. We had McD's double cheeseburgers. I didn't eat a big breakfast because I wasn't that hungry and I was out of English muffins. I was shocked because today's food was helter skelter, but my calories were less than 1600 which is the highest I allow myself.

I've been seeing DASH diet. I know his is the diet that CHF gave Daddy when he got out of the hospital and my baby sister used it to get her blood pressure under control and lose weight. So I decided to google it. I bought a new version DASH for Weight Loss for my kindle. I will spend the week end reading the book more closely. I read one book I borrowed on the kindle that was written for beginners and it said if you want a starchy food that you normally wouldn't eat like potatoes that you just substitute it for a grain exchange food in a meal. However, I haven't read enough to know if that is true in the Weight Loss book.

FBS was the same as yesterday morning 166 and before dinner it was 104 and weight was in the same area. So I consider this a good thing. I'm interested in the DASH because I need to keep the sodium down in my diet and I read that it is good not only for heart patients or preventing heart problems, strokes but it also helps lower cholesterol, triglycerides and keep blood sugar levels good. It is just a great overall plan. I did read in one of the books that it isn't as restrictive on having to eat so much fowl and fish.

I went to the nurses station today and asked to meet the Director of Nurses today when I went to see Daddy. I just used the excuse that she was out of town when we met everyone else last week. I liked her very much and she was easy to work with. She is going to help us get Daddy's 1st to pills that are supposed to be given each morning alone established again. She is also going to help us get a form we can sign to waiver Daddy having to drink thickened liquids so he can have his milk and coffee. She will also see to it that he has a pitcher of water in his room at all times so he doesn't get dehydrated.

He found out a man he knows lives in the center and he rolled himself down to the man's room to see him. He has decided that he will take himself around through the halls of the home because it is good exercise using his hands and feet to push himself. He is ready for us to meet with the financial lady to start the procedure to stay there. It is good to know he is adjusting well to life there.

Carol Sue I bought some nuts for a snack if I needed it, but I haven't been hungry tonight. I think it is because we ate so late, plus with the weather being a little warmer I'm drinking tea and water which seems to keep me from being hungry. This has been the 1st night I haven't needed a snack, but that is today. I just hope that eventually I will have more and more evening without snacks.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #54  

Hi Trish. It sounds like your Dad is becoming more comfortable in this facility and things are starting to work out for him. If he does stay there will they continue with the therapy? He will have to see how the non-thickened drinks are going to work for him.

I have always heard good things about the Dash Diet. I have a book on my Kindle about it, but it was a free one from Amazon. I also realized I have Dr Fung's Complete Guide to Fasting and I want to read over that again. I'm finding out it's not so much what I eat but when that is my problem.

I went to bed without a snack last night and I did fine. I was not hungry. That snack is just a habit that needs to be broken. It's just extra calories and a boost to my blood sugar and insulin, not to mention the numbers on the scale.

I have too many things to do today. I wanted to get my hair cut but I don't know if I can fit that in. It was fine until a couple days ago. Now I can't do anything with it.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:06 AM   #55  
Madeleine

carol, you will have to see what your fasting blood sugar does. If it is reasonable, then no snack is good. If it is high and stays up after several days of no snacking, then controlled snacking would be good for you to prevent the dawn effect. By controlled, I mean planned and limited. Like 10 peanuts or almonds, or a piece of cheese etc.

Trish, I hope that things go well for your Dad and I'm glad he is getting around, even if by wheel chair. Good quality of life is important too, and having a friend in the facility and adjusting well will make that happen. The DASH diet, with calorie restrictions would be good for you. Can you do it with eating out as well? No reason you can't use it with IF or JUDDD etc too.

Weight is finally going down. Still struggling a bit with constipation, and occasional pain. Seems to be in concert, but I have the day off so far, (still on call) and will plan a good walk. Maybe that will get things moving.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #56  

Hi all. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I bought some small Salonpas Pain Pathes and put one on my foot overnight and was able to sleep through the night with little pain. Foot is a bit achy this morning but much better than it was. I was able to isolate the problem to the 5th metatarsal bone mostly. I think the all-over ache is from walking gingerly. I found a website that has 10 home remedies to try for two weeks and it no improvement, then see a doctor. So I'm going to go with that.

Mad, I have found that if I eat a light dinner and no snacks in the evening I have good blood sugar in the morning.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #57  

Carol Sue I'm glad you found the patch to help with your foot. I hope the pain will go away and you can be pain free again. At least from that.

The new DASH Diet for Weight Loss is quite different from the free DASH book I read from Amazon. Phase 1 is more of a low carb no sugar so no fruit and no grains for 2 weeks. Isn't much different from Atkins or Keto diets. Like my DGS said all these newer low carb diets aren't much different from Atkins. I was planning to start it tomorrow, but decided to have an omelet this morning with kale, riced cauliflower and an onion/pepper mixture although it is more onion than peppers with cheese and bacon.

Weight is up a little today, but not over 220 so that is good. It is up because I was eating according to the free DASH book I read which let you have fruits and grains. I figure a few days on this one and the weight will come back down. Phase 2 allows the fruit and grains back into diet plan. I finally have a plan that I don't have to count calories although I may and I can legally have some of the foods I really like and be doing a lower carb way of eating.

fatmad Yes, I can use this plan with IF, IE or CAD or just on its own. We are finally going to meet up with my best friend and her husband Tuesday to eat at Cracker Barrel and the nice thing on this plan is that I can have the baked or broiled (?) catfish with veggies and still be OP in Phase 1. Supposed to meet some new cousins next Saturday and not sure where they will choose, but I figure I can only drink a diet drink if they pick a place where I can't eat OP. People will be so busy talking and getting to know each other that no one will even notice. This is so very doable.

I like the fact that this diet plan corrects so many health problems including inflammation in the body. Hopefully I will go back to my doctor in 4 months with great blood work numbers all the way around. This is such a great healthy way of eating that I wish I could get DH to eat this way so he could get off of a lot of his meds.

DS son and grandson are coming to town today and meet us at Daddy's. Her DGS birthday is tomorrow and she hasn't seen him in a while. They don't do her right concerning seeing him. His mother disagrees with our politics and his mother isn't a Christian and doesn't believe in anything so much that I think they punish her by keeping him away. DS son will bring his son to see us once in awhile, but she seldom comes with him. However, we heard they are also having problems because she has a drinking problem. So not sure what is happening there. We always love her and treat her like the special person she is because she is family, but I'm not sure what she is going through. All we can do is pray for her.

More reading to do. Have a great day.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #58  

Trish, my foot feels very good today, best it's been, just a little achy. I think that's from holding my foot stiff to try to walk. Today I am able to walk a little more freely, and flex my foot the way it's supposed to. I don't know if it's from the pain patch, the Tumeric, or just that whatever is wrong is getting better, but I'm glad to be feeling better. I do have to make sure not to over do it. It's so hard when you can't walk. This is reminding me that I need to get back to my exercising regularly so I don't lose my mobility.

I made my food for tomorrow, except for the potato salad that I won't make until tomorrow morning. I don't have room in my refrigerator to keep it overnight, although I know it tastes better after it sits. I didn't make the sugar cookies I usually make, but now that my foot feels better I think I will make some. DGS looks forward to them, and so does his mom.

That's a shame that your DS daughter-in-law is hard to get along with. You do right by just accepting her into the family and doing the best you can. They will have to work out their troubles themselves.

I don't think it would matter if you ate something that was not on plan when out with others to eat. Just do the best you can and go on. I think our bodies are very forgiving like that. This version of the Dash Diet might be different since it's "for weight loss." The Dash Diet is usually for blood pressure control.

I bought a new bottle of Tumeric the last time I was at Walmart and I just noticed there was a $3 coupon attached that I forgot to use. I will take it back with the receipt on Monday and see if they will give me the $3. I have done that at other stores and Walmart is usually cooperative.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #59  

Carol Sue I agree that it probably won't hurt if I eat something a little off when eating with others. I would just like to do a clean 2 week Phase 1. I've never been able to do that on Atkins Induction. I have made 8 to 10 days before on AI, but I think knowing that I can have fruit at the end of the 2 weeks and grains when I want them in Phase 2 might help me actually make it.

I'm not going to see Daddy today. In fact, Daddy's pastor's wife text me today and asked DH and me to come to Bible study in the morning at Daddy's. I will see what DH says. We could do that as they have it at 10 am and only lasted about 30 minutes last week. We need to go to HEB tomorrow and most people will be in church when we leave visiting with Daddy. I don't feel really great today for some reason and I decided that DS needs to have some time with her DGS without us there. She doesn't get to see her DGS often and only for a couple of hours when she does. So we will go see Daddy tomorrow. I'm sure he was disappointed when I called and canceled, but he won't miss us when his DGS and DGGS shows up. He doen't know they are coming and DS decided to just surprise him. I need the day to get off the carbs I've had lately.

I'm so glad you are feeling better. Is your DS having Easter at their house as planned? I know that makes it so much easier for you.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:56 PM   #60  

Well, DASH didn't last very long for me. I drink coffee before breakfast, during breakfast and then after dinner. I drink unsweetened caffeine tea throughout the day because it keeps me from being hungry and eating all the time. DASH says you can only have caffeine with meals or snacks. You are also supposed to eat 3 meals and 2 snack and it stresses not skipping them. The concept of lower carb is good and I will do that but not their way. There are so many ways to do low carb out there that I think it can be done without giving up my coffee and tea that keeps me from eating.

I will just use MFP and eat between 50 to 100 g carbs a day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 04-01-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Closed Thread