Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #106  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

carol sue, my admin will see an endocrinologist, but there are actually skinny type 2's who lose weight and muscle mass. As i said, about 10 percent. She still have beta cells working, at least for now, but not well. He doc will do the final diagnosis.

So, about Metformin and timing taking it.....

Its a good idea to take the med with food, because of the gastric problems. However, it will not help much with the body's reaction to that snack or meal. Thats because we usually have peak blood sugar from the meal in an hour or two, and Metformin peaks in 4-8 hours, depending whether you have regular or extended release.
It doesn't work like insulin, so taking it with your biggest meal won't necessarily help.
It works in several other ways though. Like it keeps your liver from making glucose, and dumping glucose, especially overnight. So if you are most concerned about fasting sugars, take it with a small snack before bed.
It also helps to transport glucose into our cells, and lowers insulin resistance.
Some of the effects will be seen within a week or two, as your body gets used to having it and glucose levels adjust and lower.
Some of us take it twice a day to keep the level of drug a little steadier in our bodies, and that helps us not to have as many side effects.
Trish, did your doctor have any advice about the timing of taking your med? I would follow that advice first. S/he will want to see the effect at different times of day, so start a chart if you are testing your sugars, maybe fasting twice a week and after meals a couple of times a week to see how they are affected.
I am happy for you to take some time to try this med again. I hope it will work for you.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My thinking was that taking it with more food might prevent the loose bowels she was having. Just trying to be helpful, but not trying to replace the advice of her doctor.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #108  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue No problem with your advice as the doctor never tell us when we are to take our medicine. Pharmacist was the one who said take it with food, but didn't say when. I will try taking it with a bedtime snack as fatmad suggests. I've learned more from her about some of this stuff than anyone has.

Madeleine I'm so glad that you are with us again. You are so knowledgeable about these things. I've always heard that a good RN is as good if not better than a doctor on some things. Not to take from the doctor, but I felt that my doctor was so strange this last time. In fact, I told DH that if he keeps being "strange" that I won't go back. I'll find someone else. However, he has been so good in the past and he may have just been having a bad day so I'll give it time to see how it goes. I may have a problem because I feel very strongly about some things I will and will not do and that may be a problem, but this is my health and I take it seriously.

FBS was 132 and weight is back up, but I'm tired of trying to figure out what to cook and not to cook. I wanted a PB/banana toast this morning with my coffee so that is what I had. Not sure what I'm going to have for lunch. I thought of fish, but DH won't want that. So I'll have to see how it goes. I don't like a day with NO Plan. But nothing really sounds good to me right now. I'll see what he wants and go from there and work around it.

I have to be careful because I'm tired of thinking about this stuff. I may make me some lentils w/ barley and a salad for me and let him decide what he wants.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #109  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Hi ladies!

I have not been on in a while....sorry! I spend so much time in Facebook groups that sometimes I forget about other groups I want to check on. I had my sewing retreat and was bummed because it just did not go so well. To start with I overslept and my friend I normally drive halfway then ride with had to go ahead without me. I was not planning to drive 5.5 hrs alone and I was very tired, it was a rough day. Then I just did not seem to connect well with the ladies, the same ladies I've been on this retreat with before. I took a dress to work on that was extra complicated and kind of burned out working on it (I am still working on it). The drive home took longer than it should bc of traffic and accidents. On top of all that the eating was rough....everything was really carby and on Sat we had all these scones and sweet pastries for "tea" (lunch) and then they decided not to cook dinner and just eat the tea leftovers so it was almost a whole day of nothing but carbs and I felt awful. Anyway that was the retreat.

Time has just passed in a whirl since then, can't even think of what has been going on. Today we had someone come and take down/grind stumps on all the trees that fell from the ice/snow in February. $300+.....oy! I worked in the yard pruning bushes yesterday and overdid it then I woke with an awful cold today and had to skip my MOPS meeting. Fortunately I was able to take Olivia to preschool so I could rest. Mark is traveling so it's just me this week. Diet has been more off than on. Right now I need to restock at the grocery store but I'm too sick to do that so I'm just eating whatever is here. Mark decided to try low carb again. He isn't being strict but his eating is still significantly improved so he is losing (yay!). My loss is really slow bc I can't seem to stay on plan but I'm trying not to stess about it.

Carol Sue i read you write something about melatonin. I wonder if that is why I can never get my fasting level down? I take it every night.

Trish the lentil I mentioned that is really good for diabetics is a yellow chana dal lentil but all lentils are supposed to be low glycemic impact. The chana dal is just extra low....I got mine at an asian market but some people have found them in walmart (I did not).

Bonnie congrats on the weight loss!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #110  
Madeleine

going to eat lightly today, we have a goodbye dinner for our graduating students tonight, so I want to "save" myself for that. Its at a steak house, so should be no problem staying low carb, I just have to be careful not to be a piggy and take too large portions. They have a nice house salad dressing with no lemon juice, so I will have a lovely salad with my steak! can't wait.
but first, a day of work.......
Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #111  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Been way, way off plan lately - actually have not planned. The sugar and carb cravings have returned - carbs are an easy grab when you are in a hurry. I have three (yes really) funerals in the next three days and have decided to skip the after service "feast" which is always sandwiches, potato salad and sweets. Too bad I have "appointments". I guess white lies are OK to save your sanity, right?

Needless to say, I have been remiss in taking my meds since I got back from Cuba - not good at all. This morning's first task is to fill the dosettes and get back to the Victoza injections. I need to boot my own butt. Not only have I not lost any weight but saw 192 on the scale this a.m. I am heading into a stressful period with Mill hiring and tax filing and absolutely must get back on track with food and meds.

Someone mentioned Melatonin. I took it for a while to see if it would help with insomnia and found it OK for about a week. Then I started to get these very real and stressful nightmare - things like traveling with my kids and losing their passports, people breaking into my house. The dreams were very real and stayed with me most of the morning so I quit taking the stuff.

So, the first thing I'm going to do this morning is the meds and then PLAN low carb meals! Later I'll go out and buy salad stuff as I'm running very low on veggies. Right now I need to kill or recreate my lying ticker!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #112  

Madeleine Smart saving for the dinner. I hope you enjoy it. I always find it so much easier to stay low carb at a steak house. I'm sure you will do fine.

Ruthie Here is a for both of us since I need it as bad as you do. I do so really good a few days and then screw it up. We both can do so much better and we know it because we have done it before. So let's just help each other get up and go for it.

We are going for DH PT blood stick and then eat out and grocery shopping. I was just thinking this morning about how good I did on low carb in the past with Atkins as my guideline. I would not allow anything sweet or carby starch touch my lips. I have got to get myself back to that commitment again and I even exercised 5 days a week. The commitment has to be with, to and for myself. God help me to do this again.

I had toast, eggs and bacon and 1/2 banana this morning. I know it isn't Atkins low carb, but I can still eat low carb the rest of the day depending on where DH decides to go eat.

BBL
Old 03-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #113  

Just saw this on FB and thought I would share it. I do love my bacon. I've been thinking that even if I ate oatmeal for breakfast that I could still have a couple of pieces of bacon.

http://elitedaily.com/life/why-bacon...or-you/976614/

Sorry about the off word, but the article is interesting. I found it interesting the vitamins in bacon.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-26-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #114  

Did pretty good yesterday even eating at Five Guys Hamburger. I did eat some fries and a few bites of the bun but took most of the bun off (actually I got a little burger loaded minus the mayo and really enjoyed it. Walked Sam's Club and Walmart so that was most of my exercise. Last night was my second night of taking Metformin at night. I make a light dinner around 8:30 pm and take the pill then. FBS was 121 this morning. Weight up a tad but not a surprise since I ate out and also fries were extremely salty. Even DH couldn't eat many of them because of the salt. Was probably the main reason I didn't eat many.

I sure wanted a bag of chips last night. I got hungry for something and DH recommended the chips. I told him "No, I can't eat those because they are salty that I retain the sodium". Then I took a frozen lean pork chip out and put it in a pan and cooked it and added some of the spaghetti squah I had left over and added some butter to it and ate that instead and took the Metformin. One good success to build on.

I had oatmeal with strawberries, 1/2 banana, chia seeds, bacon and Greek yogurt. I need to get the yogurt in my diet. I got the Dannon Light and Fit 80 calorie cartons. Since I'm a creature of habit, I am going to get into a habit of eating oatmeal in the morning mainly because I like the benefits of eating it. It is so cholesterol friendly and since I've been so tired lately, I'm thinking I need the potassium in the banana and benefits of artery cleaning strawberries. I'll eat whatever we plan for lunch which will be our larger meal and then a late light dinner later at night to take the Metformin. I'll be eating more of a GL way of eating. I think I can live with that better as a lifestyle.

DH decided yesterday that we will start making our own pizza on Saturday. He is going to cook the sausage and I did purchase a couple of packages of pizza dough to make. I'm thinking about checking out coconut flour. I never liked the way almond flour worked. Has anyone tried the coconut flour? I'll look tomorrow to see if I can find some at our new store.

Sorry this is so long. Hope everyone is doing well. Remember we don't have to be perfect. I've decided that being close is a good place to start. I wasn't perfect yesterday, but I was so much better that I count it as a good day.

Oh, I'm tracking on MFP again too. So counting calories along with my plan. If I follow my plan, my calories will stay between 1300 to 1450 calories a day. I think that is good.

Edited: I changed my ticker to be where I am today, because I think I need to. It will take a while to get back down to that low number. Might as well be honest with myself.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-27-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #115  
Madeleine

I have gotten onto a carb jag, and can't get off. I will have to try a fast or fat fast to break the cycle.

I was up late on Thursday working and got to bed about 4 am. Since then, have slept about 6 hours total. Just napping mostly, and waking a lot.
plan today is to go for a nice walk in the sunshine and then an afternoon nap, and early to bed if possible.

We are eating out again tonight, a club dinner for DH.
Not sure about you Trish, but I find eating out one of the great difficulties of trying to lose weight. Servings are large, sometimes you pay to substitute foods (like salad instead of fries), you can't control add ons like sauces sometimes. So I am avoiding it when possible. Its a buffet tonight, and I hope I can stick to good choices.

TTFN have a good weekend friends.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #116  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, 193 this morning - do you think salty popcorn had anything to do with it? I looked up my old Wordpress journal and the last entry was 2013 when I was 192 - how's that for non-progress?

I think the first thing I need to do is start writing down everything I am eating and taking my meds, of course. I promise to try to post in here and update my ticker weekly although it'll kill me to change the ticker. (I guess my first goal should be to get back into the 170s!!!!)
Old 03-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #117  

I'm beginning to thing the 3 meals spaced out 4 or 5 hrs may not be the way to go. I am eating way too much at lunch time and feeling stuffed. I remember one time before that when I ate over ate at a meal that fbs was too high the next day. So I'm rethinking about whether I should be spreading the meals/snacks over the day rather than putting it all into only 3 meals.

Madeleine I agree that it is difficult sometimes eating out not knowing what they put in the foods.

Ruthie I recently checked over previous info I kept about a year age and I have gone backwards rather than forward with weight as well as bs numbers. My first big goal is to get under 200 lbs, but I'm going to go back to setting my goal 10 lbs at a time making my first new goal 209 lbs.

I went back to the beauty shop today. I had thought about quitting, but I really need the pampering and the time I spend with the ladies there. I really did enjoy my time there. That is time well spent for me.

I know I've been eating way too much lately or at least I feel that way. Or at least I feel that way. I think the reason I never liked a high fiber diet is that I don't like the stuffed, full feeling. Just trying to eat less and to eat healthy at the same time.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #118  
Madeleine

I did really well at the dinner out. Stuck to plain water to drink, ate a large plate of salad, and stuck to sliced roast beef and veggies, with a bit of gravy. I did enjoy a small dish of ice cream for dessert, but didn't get stuffed and managed moderation.
just read something interesting for rice eaters, and I wonder if something similar would work with pasta?
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...lories-rice-60
Old 03-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #119  

Madeleine Great accomplishment with the dining out. And I don't the little bit of ice ream for dessert will hurt. I think we really have to think moderation. I just don't like the stuffed feeling. I used to would never let myself get full and I've got to get back to that rule again. Thanks for the link. I will check it out tomorrow afternoon.

I am feeling a little better and plan to attend church in the morning since this is Palm Sunday. I can't believe how fast time is flying already this year. I took my WW books out as kind of a guide mainly because most of the veggies are freebies and I can have some fruit.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #120  
Madeleine

Trish, yes the ww points system is good, you can fill up on "Free" foods, have some fruit, and generally eat in moderation.
I was thinking about the link for the rice cooking, to lower the digestible carbs, and wonder if that is what they do with dream fields pasta, cook it, then dry it again. If that makes it partly indigestible, thats great.
Hope everyone has a good Sunday, I for one had the best sleep in days, and digestion is good. Quiet day at home, will do a trail walk with our dog.
ttfn
Closed Thread