Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Thanks Carol Sue. I just remembered when reading the New Atkins book, they say you can do it using lowfat if you want to. I think that is because there are people like my babysister and my DH who don't like eating fat.

I was reading something I have bookmarked from dlife on lowcarb fruit and veggies. I've decided that the key to all of this is eating fruits, veggies, and protein with some grains thrown in now and then and the fat can be more of a preference for some people. I notice that DH does get some fat, but he doesn't even realize it. I am thinking about doing the Egg/Fat fast I think they call it to break the stall and get the weight coming down. I think I will get me some really good range fed chicken eggs tomorrow to do it with. I don't think I could do it for too many days mainly because I don't want to get tired of eggs. But I could do it 1 or 2 days or even alternate days.

Stayed home today. I've decided to start taking pressure off of myself and learn to live in with the Lord and let the things "people" think I should be doing just fall where it does. I don't mean that ugly, but right now. I realized this morning that I've always tried to be what someone else thought I was supposed to be. I think that has even added to the weight problem. I think I need to find out who I really am and be happy with that person whoever she is. I sure don't like the one I've become in the past few years. Time to declutter my life in all areas. I think when I do that everything else including the weight will fall in place. I think I'm that caterpillar who is beginning to transform from the caterpillar to the butterfly. Lots of things going on in me right now.

Have a good day
Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #92  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hi everyone! Sorry I have been gone for a while I have been so busy lately and with everything I have going on it is making me crazy. Well to start off I am down 112 pounds I am now in a size 16.I have been working real hard. I get in at least 20,000 steps a day.
Now all the bad My son boss is Brazilian he got deported and now the person running the company don't want to pay them what they are owed so now his rent is late his phone and insurance is also late. He is about to loose everything he has. I had to take him to the Er twice this last week he had Tonsillitis the second time his throat was so swollen that he couldn't breathe he is now doing better. He is looking for a job.
Then My daughter who is married to another Brazilian walked in one day and told us she was getting a divorce cause he was cheating on her from the day they got married. So now we have all this to deal with.
This week has been horrible for us me the hubby and daughter has been sick with this stuff going around runny nose, sore throat, coughing, chills, fever, The flu came back negative. Now we are all trying to get better.
Now is aunt gets it and she expects me to take care of her not gonna happen she has been mean and rude to us she even told us we had to move out in three months what makes her think I am gonna do for her especially when she is treating my other two kids like crap. Then she tells my hubby that when my 17 year old gets out of school her *** is out too . I don't think we will be here when that time comes. I am sorry to say I have had my fill of it all and I am done will be looking for a place to be moving too. I cant take this no more she make more money then I do and she expects me to provide her meals every night I jest done I am done.
I am sorry to unload it all on here I had to go some where. Please forgive me I will be back.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #93  

Bonnie CONGRATULATIONS on the 112 lb loss. You look great. I am so sorry you are still going through so much family problems. I hope you are able to find a place soon where y'all will be able to move and be happy. Do keep in touch as it is always good to hear from you. This is also a good place to let off steam so you don't turn to other things like food.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #94  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Here is a pic of me and the hubby last week headed to a wake for his uncle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10881594_10152732297492918_2021233336317530252_n.jpg (29.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Bonnie, you look wonderful! I am so happy for you with the weight loss and feeling so much better. You and your handsome husband make a very nice couple. I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you have been having. I remember you telling me about how mean your aunt was getting toward you in spite of all you were doing taking care of her. Some people get that way when they get older, but that's no excuse. I hope you find another place for your family to live. I also hope your son finds another job.

Keep us postied on what's going on. We always look forward to hearing from you.

Trish, I was thinking about your new Metformin pill. Since you only take it once a day, I wonder if it would help if you didn't take it in the AM, but instead, took it with your largest meal. Maybe if it is taken when you have more food in your stomach you won't have the bad effects. Just a thought.

I didn't do great yesterday, but a little better. I have not been eating as many veggies as I used it, and that's because I'm trying not to eat when I'm not hungry, but my fingernails are starting to break and split. That was where I had seen the most improvement when I started eating all the vegetables. So I guess I will go back to it. I used to eat a big veggie lunch as well as put some in my eggs, and eat some with dinner. I have omitted the lunch. I guess since they are so low calorie, eating them is not causing my weight problem. Nobody ever got fat from eating too many vegetables! I should be cutting back in some other area.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #96  

Carol Sue You know I used to take the other Metformin at lunch time because it was my biggest meal. It worked better for me and I think that is what I need to do again with this new pill. I've already taken it today so will start doing that tomorrow. In fact, I used to take the bulk of my meds and supplements at the big meal. I will re-adjust those back to the way I used to do them. I used to take them at noon because I only ate 2 meals a day back then.

My weight was back down 1.6 lbs today, but my fbs was 146. I got hungry last night and ate a slice of ham around a cheese stick. I just can't do that because it always seems to cause the fbs to be a little up. So while the weight loss was good the fbs was not. But I will keep eating the way I am and maybe add some veggies to the nighttime eggs to help ward off the hunger and keep the fbs down. I think I'm going to start drinking ACV w/water before each meal to help lower the bs especially at lunch.

I've been reading a lot about how low carb veggies and fruits help balance bs. Springtime is such a good time for me to start using the fruits and veggies more. There are so many good things in both. And I agree Carol Sue nobody ever got fat eating veggies. I have a book on foods to eat to cause your body to become more alkaline rather than acidic. My doctor thinks that is ridiculous, but I have read a lot about the fact that diseases cannot live in an alkaline body. It is when our body becomes too acidic that diseases feeds off of. I know that when I married DH and moved to FL that I was so fascinated by all the different kinds of fruits and I almost became a fruitaholic, but I became so very healthy back then and the weight just seemed to fall off of me. I think this is why WW had the idea for a while and may still advocate it as I don't know what they do now, but you could eat most fruit and veggies and count them as zero. Perhaps if you get what you need with fruit and veggies, you won't be hungry for huge amounts of meat and starchy carbs which are where the pts are spent. Just a thought.

Edited to say: I think that our bodies need to have a balance of alkaline/acidity. If you have ever had a fish tank, you know that if the water is too acidic that the fish breakout with sores and die, but if you get it too alkaline they will die too. So I think there has to be a balance.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-23-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #97  

Here is a link to a list of Alkaline/Acidifying foods I thought you might like to see. I think this is going to help me understand what happens when I eat these foods.

http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm
Old 03-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #98  

Trish, I bookmarked that page. Thank you. I had a similar list bookmarked before my computer problems, but at that time I lost all my bookmarks. I was interested in it because it is supposed to be helpful with my psoriasis, but I know I will not stop eating meats that are acidic, but I normally choose poultry over red meat because that's just my preference. I don't think diet is the only thing involved in psoriasis.

I stopped in the grocery store today and looked for sugar free yogurt but this store didn't have it. I think I've seen it somewhere. I did find one that is much lower in carbs than others. It contains 8 gm of carb, 6 of which are sugar. That's not too bad. I bought 2 flavors to try them. It is Dannon Lite and Fit Greek Yogurt. I got 1 Key Lime Pie and 1 Strawberry. Now that the weather is warming up I would like to start freezing them again. Oikes has one that said no added sugar or artificial sweeteners, but I didn't like the flavors it came in. You might though, because I think they were berry flavors.

I have never been a big fruit eater. It's not that I don't like it, but just prefer other things.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #99  

I read on Yahoo home page today that they believe that saccharin that we were told years ago were carcinogen is not. In fact, they believe it actually kills cancers and they plan to make a medication with it to fight cancer. It seems that the rats that had cancer from it years ago had a protein or something was the cause of the cancer from the sweetener that we humans do not have. I thought that was interesting enough to share for what it is worth.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Carol Sue Don't forget there is no such thing as "sugar free" yogurt. All milk has natural sugars so there will always be sugars on the nutrition label. Check the ingredients for use of Splenda or Stevia, etc. And some yogurt is going to be less natural sugars than others... the Danon lite n Fit is a great one ... my absolute FAVORITE!!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #101  

Yes, Laurie, I think what I meant was no added sugar, other than the sugar naturally occuring in the milk. If it was yogurt with fruit it would also contain the natural sugar in the fruit. This one is the lowest carb count I have ever seen, and 12 gm of protein. I can't wait to try it frozen!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #102  

Ate at Arby's yesterday and ended up eating too many starchy carbs. Weight back up almost 3 lbs. Back to plan today learning to eat more alkaline foods.

Carol Sue I really believe that we need to think of it as eating both alkaline/acidifying foods where we probably should eat a little more alkaline than acidifying foods. I do think it is important to eat both. I think what has happened here in America in the last few years is that we have learned to eat a ratio of to many acidifying foods and some people probably never eat any alkaline foods. I am convinced that if we would turn that around that we would see ourselves becoming healthier.

I've decided that if someone took the WW plan where they say eat more fruit and veggies and then moderately added some of the other things like bread, protein etc that they would successfully lose weight. I think this was really how the WW Core plan was supposed to work, but I have never seen it that way before. On the Core plan, they were to eat more fruits and veggies less of the other foods but not totally avoid them, but only eat as much as it took to be satisfied. I believe that really would be a good guideline if done properly thinking of eating maybe at least 60% alkaline and 40% acidifying foods. May not have to do it to that extent. Might could even be done more like 55% to 45%. But you see what I mean.

Perhaps this is why you do so much better when you eat a lot of veggies. I don't know that I'm 100% right, but it is something to think about.

Shannon I'm sure you are extremely busy. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #103  

Trish, I don't think most people give a thought to whether their food is alkeline or acidic. The only time I heard much about it was when I was researching psoriasis, and mostly they are just guessing because they still don't really know what causes it or a suitable treatment for it. I eat a lot of vegetables because I like them, they are low calorie, and they are healthy. I don't eat much fruit. Just occasionally.

I have gone down a lb this week. My blood sugar is still higher in the morning and lowers as the day goes on as long as I eat low carb. I ate some mashed potatoes last night because I like them with pork and sauerkraut, but now, as soon as we both have taken our portion of potatoes out of the pan, I put the pan in the sink and fill it with water so I won't eat any more potatoes. That's the only way I can control my portion right now. As much as I hate to waste food, I don't want to wear it on my belly either! LOL Normally, I would finish all the potatoes in the pan. Today, DH ate some PB crackers from a little package and left the pkg with the last 2 sit on the counter. I usually eat them, but I put them in the bread box. Out of sight, out of mind. It's little things like this that I have to watch. It's just too easy to pop something into my mouth without thinking, and it adds up.

I think WW is a great plan and I did it while eating low carb. But I can't stick to it unless I go to the meetings and that's too much money for me.

The sad thing is, I don't know anyone who does not gain back after losing weight. You see it all over the forum...people who will post that they lost then regained and are back to start over. Maintenance is very hard, even harder than losing. Once we are an overeater it seems that it will never be a permanent change.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:46 AM   #104  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

hey friends, sorry to be MIA, had a busy weekend with guests here, and DD birthday, and busy at work since then.

Bonnie: you are doing so great. In spite of stress and difficulty, you are managing to lose weight. This means you can really maintain your lifestyle in spite of life's ups and downs and stay on an even keel with diet and exercise. I am in awe.

I went a bit off track on the weekend, mostly with alcohol intake, but am back to normal now. Weight is still up a couple of pounds but I expect that will be gone before the end of the week like usual after over-indulging.

In regards to low fat/low carb, I think it is very hard to do over time. Maybe low glycemic, but not low carb without the fats. Low fat dressings have sugar in them. Most plans play with the ratio of protein, fat and carbs, and lowering one is doable, but not two part of the equation.
I think concentrating on healthy fats, (olive oil dressings, avocado, salmon etc) and not eating fatty foods is fine, but a healthy balance is needed too. I don't think you have to eat fatty stuff on atkins. but you can. its ok to eat the fat in ways that you find healthy.

In other news, my administrator (she who has a diabetic husband who has lost a foot and a toe on the other foot to diabetes) has just been diagnosed as diabetic.
She is a skinny person, and recently has been losing weight, and losing muscle mass. About 10% of type 2 are actually thin people, with other factors influencing the diabetes. She has the advantage of knowing a lot about the disease. She is really upset and will have a hard time with this. Dealing with her DH is really hard on her already, and this will cause some real tension there. Fortunately, she will have lots of resources at work to help.

So thats the news for now, will check in again later in the week.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #105  

Mad, is your administrator actually type 2 or type 1? I knew a woman at work who was diagnosed with type 1 in her 40s. Weight loss does not usually occur in type 2.

I don't buy any low fat products. I don't use low fat dressings, and I eat full fat cheese but I also don't eat chicken skin and I cut the fat off my meat because I don't like the taste of it. I don't consider myself as eating low fat, but I do not intentionally add fat as many low carbers do. On a Low Carb forum I visit there is a woman who eats low fat low carb and has lost close to 100 lbs, so it can be done, apparently. I don't go to either extreme. Having said that, I admit I am not losing much weight, but if it means I have to add fat that I don't like, then this is how it will have to be.

Trish, I was reading my book about psoriasis this morning and there are a lot of things he recommends, such as colonic cleanse, that I will not do. And there are some products he recommends that are only available online as far as I can see. So I will try some of the dietary changes that he recommends but that's as far as it goes. I think this is why I had set the book aside in the first place. He recommends a diet of 80% alkeline and 20% acidic, saying that we do need some acidic foods in our diets. Some fruits are forbidden. I am not a fruit eater, but I have had some strawberries and oranges lately, because DH has been eating them. Those are 2 of the ones that are forbidden!! LOL I think apples and pears are OK, but are to be eaten alone, not with other foods, such as an apple cut up into a salad. One vegetable that I like is brussels sprouts and they are to be limited. But I don't understand why cabbage is OK. I don't know if this guy is a quack or not.
Closed Thread