Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Donna Glad to have you join us and look forward to getting to know you.

Saw my 228 even this morning so did good. I had a little more fiber yesterday but in smaller quantities. I even had pop corn last night. Air popped about half of what I used to and I use whipped butter now instead of regular and I melted 2 T of it and poured over the pop corn. I missed the salt a little and since I'm used to eating a little more but as I've learned from Intuitive Eating... if you wait a few minutes that desire for more will go away and I'm happy to say that it did pass pretty quickly and the feeling of satisfaction was felt. We are just in the habit in the country to want bigger servings so it is nice to know that we can break those bad habits. FBS was still in the 150s down a little from yesterday.

I found a thread on here of women who do fiber dieting and one of them suggested to someone else to look up diuretic foods which I did since I seem to be retaining fluid a lot lately. I already use some of the veggies but I was surprised to learn that oats is a diuretic food as well. I do like oats from time to time. Also found it interesting when I read the article that beside being recommended foods for edema it was also foods recommended for high blood pressure. My Daddy just got out of the hospital because he has been having problems with high blood pressure. He is perfectly healthy other than his bp and so is my sister. So I sent them a copy of the article.

Interesting thing about the fiber way of eating is that I have a book called "Reversing Diabetes" and I found it difficult to do because it kind of does away with the protein. One of the girls on it does high fiber/high protein and is losing nicely. I know from the article I read we diabetics need to not eat so much carbs at any one meal, but I might have to check into keeping up with the fiber as I thin that is a problem for me. I can always tell when I've eaten more fiber by whether I'm regular or not. I checked back over MFP totals and my fiber is way too low. So that is something that I need to work on. No roughage, no potty equals no weight loss and higher fbs readings.

Busy day. We haven't done out taxes yet. I'm bad about putting it off when I know we are going to have to pay in so I've got to get off my buttocks and get it ready for hubby to do. Also tonight is Bible study and we need to run by Walmart to pick up a few things before we go to church. Would go after but DH has a prescription to pick up.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, here is a nice list of high fiber foods. You may be able to incorporate these into your diet. You don't need to eat a lot. Every little bit adds up.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/50-fiber-rich-foods

I buy Fiber Select Wheat Thins, and eat a few of them each day, but that has to be counted in with my carb allowance. The fiber count does get subtracted from the carbs for a net carb count. We also buy prunes and I eat one or 2 a day when I think of it. I just happen to love beans, so I don't have a problem getting all my fiber in. I does give me other problems, if you know what I mean, but I don't care. I love them!

There are some vegetables that are high in protein, but I will never stop eating fish and chicken. I just need to watch my portions.

I haven't done our taxes yet, and we are getting a nice refund! Every year I say I'm going to do it early, but I know that the sooner we get that check the sooner DH is going to want to spend it, so I've procrastinated again.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I think I mentioned how my husband sabatages me, like with the rice pilaf that was left over. He also like to make ramen noodles and always makes 2 pkgs even though he isn't going to eat it all. One day this week he was making one of those envelopes of noodles and sauce. He was going to add extra noodles but I told him not to because I didn't want any. He added them anyway, then when it was done he said "You're going to have to eat some of this because I made too much." I left it sit there in the pan until he finally threw it out. Now, yesterday I made a big pot of vegetable soup and he said he wanted a loaf of italian bread to eat with it. He ate 2 slices, and guess who gets to eat the rest, or throw it out? Bread is my big weakness! Maybe I will give it to my step daughter when I give her a few jars of soup. I know he doesn't want me to be fat. I don't know what his problem is.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #34  

I thought I posted this morning before we left. This one will be more of a flyby.

Carol Sue Thanks for the link. DH and I went to Aldi and I got some beans. One of the diabetic books that pushes fiber has a recipe for making refried beans and then a dip. It calls for pink beans, but I'm going to use the black beans and Aldi's equivalent of Rotel tomatoes to make the dip.

I love beans and DH will eat some beans and we will be adding them to our food plan. He finally decided today to bring his stationary bike in from the garage to start exercising on. His has the handlebars that move. I don't like that + we never could get the seat adjusted so that it would not hurt me. I have a recumbent bike our bedroom and I use weights to exercise my arms like I learned to do when doing Walk Away the Pounds. It really is nice to see him starting to take interest in his health. I feel like we are finally on the same page working on our health together.

I was able to get my fiber count between 37 to 40 grams yesterday and I was surprised to see that my FBS was 118 mg this morning. Definitely a plus for eating fiber. My weight was up .8 lb, but that is no surprise with eating the fiber.

Fatmad, Rennie, Ruthie and others
Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #35  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Trish that is what I try to do also is 3 meals and a snack but most days (at least here lately) either I don't eat enough or I
eat too much, smh. I read something on one of the threads that said when we eat too much protein and not enough fat ( I think that's what it said) that it elevates the glucose levels. I think there is a lot to be learned about too much protein. I declare there is no balance it seems I think I read the fiber counting thread you are talking about. You have to be careful also with that because it can have the wrong effect on you also. Like I said can't win sometimes it seems especially with everyone being different. Trish good job on the fbs this morning

Hi Donna your numbers are great If you don't mind would you post a few of your meals so I can see if I can get those good numbers How's your fasting bs? Nice avatar

Carol Sue LOL on the other effects of the beans. It seems that every thing I eat in the last few months has been doing that to me Carol Sue I hope you threw the bread out

I was talking to my husband about my weight and asked him what he thought I'd look like at 130. He said I'd look sickly and he thinks 150 is as low as I need to go. 150 isn't a healthy weight though so we shall see. I stayed the same on the scale and fbs was 120. I ate really off point today. I did do a video off cable and broke a little sweat so maybe that will help some

Last edited by love2b150; 03-06-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #36  
~Rennie

Well I am up 1.4 to 166.8 ... fbs 130 ... I ate fries with ketchup and cake batter and a few chips yesterday so I expected it. I still haven't added all of it to MFP yet. Today I am trying the military 3 day diet. I saw it on MFP and figured why not. I've tried every other thing I've seen that I can afford. It has some weird combinations which a lot of people complained about but again that's what makes us all different. It's only 3 days and what didn't work for some may work for others. I had my first slice of bread in about 10 weeks and surprisingly I didn't want another slice. I ate a slice of toast 1/2 cup grapefruit and 2 tbsp of pb and a cup of tea and I am fine. Lunch is supposed to be 1/2 cup tuna, slice of toast, tea. Dinner 3 ozs of ham, 1 cup green beans1/2 banana, 1 apple, 1 cup vanilla ice cream.
I'll let you know how I do ... that's if I don't end up eating extras I should do fine in the a.m.

Last edited by love2b150; 03-07-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #37  

As expected, weight up a lb and fbs up too in 150s because we ate at Pizza Hut yesterday. I'm never sure how many calories and not sure of fiber either. I have to guesstimate it. So I'm sure calories may have been higher and I did figure 4 grams for the fiber. It could have been 3 but most of the personal pan pizzas were 4 so I went with it.

Today's meals will be cooked at home and I'm working at keeping the fiber in the 30s this week and to stay within my calorie count. I'm never 100% sure the calories are correct for the meal that I eat away from home. Hopefully, my exercise calories earned take care of those times since I don't usually use them when eating at home.

I'm finding that the fiber is more satisfying and does give more variety.

Edited to add that I just remembered that I didn't drink all my servings of ACV water. That probably makes a difference in the fbs too.

BBL for indies.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-07-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #38  
~Rennie

Trish when you eat out most of major restaurants have their nutrition facts online easy add on MFP
Old 03-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #39  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sad today but resisted the urge to snack. It was very hard taking my darling Disney on that last ride to the vet but she is now waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge with the rest of my doggies. Wee Jazz is forlorn but my friend Heather is bringing her dog over for a playtime - plus wine and zucchini lasagna for the humans. It's been a very hard week.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #40  
~Rennie

Ruth, sorry to hear about Disney Good for you on not snacking
Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Trish when you eat out most of major restaurants have their nutrition facts online easy add on MFP
This is true. However, when you build a Personal Pizza, you can't get the exact nutrition value. I had mine topped with pork sausage, red onion and mushrooms. They don't have a listing for that so I had to use the one for pork sausage and red onion which was all they have nutrition listing for.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Sad today but resisted the urge to snack. It was very hard taking my darling Disney on that last ride to the vet but she is now waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge with the rest of my doggies. Wee Jazz is forlorn but my friend Heather is bringing her dog over for a playtime - plus wine and zucchini lasagna for the humans. It's been a very hard week.
So sorry Ruthie. I didn't realize it was that close for your little darling Disney. Praying for you and Wee Jazz as you adjust.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #43  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I think I mentioned how my husband sabatages me, like with the rice pilaf that was left over. He also like to make ramen noodles and always makes 2 pkgs even though he isn't going to eat it all. One day this week he was making one of those envelopes of noodles and sauce. He was going to add extra noodles but I told him not to because I didn't want any. He added them anyway, then when it was done he said "You're going to have to eat some of this because I made too much." I left it sit there in the pan until he finally threw it out. Now, yesterday I made a big pot of vegetable soup and he said he wanted a loaf of italian bread to eat with it. He ate 2 slices, and guess who gets to eat the rest, or throw it out? Bread is my big weakness! Maybe I will give it to my step daughter when I give her a few jars of soup. I know he doesn't want me to be fat. I don't know what his problem is.
Carol Sue My second husband used to do that with me. I never really understood why. Whatever I couldn't have on a diet was the very thing that he would decide he wanted to bring home to eat. When I was in OA and was on their strictest low carb diet they had (back then you couldn't eat off in any way), we couldn't have pizza which didn't matter to me because I didn't like it then or perhaps I had convinced myself that I didn't. Anyway, he would go buy pizza and bring it home even though he didn't care for it that much either. I never could figure out why he would do this. There was a theory in our little OA group that husbands who did this may have wanted us to lose weight, but because of their insecurity, they were afraid if we got thin that we would leave them. Not sure if that is it or not. I'm not sure if they know or not.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 PM   #44  
~Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
This is true. However, when you build a Personal Pizza, you can't get the exact nutrition value. I had mine topped with pork sausage, red onion and mushrooms. They don't have a listing for that so I had to use the one for pork sausage and red onion which was all they have nutrition listing for.
Sorry I thought that pizza hut was like Papa John's (I think that is where I had to look up the individual toppings). I remember doing it pizza before and there are only two that are near us that deliver. Mushrooms and onion are close to being free calorie/carb wise I would hope Sausage usually doesn't have any carbs but the fat and sodium are the issue. I think that was a great choice for topping the crust probably added the most of everything

Quote:
Carol Sue My second husband used to do that with me. I never really understood why. Whatever I couldn't have on a diet was the very thing that he would decide he wanted to bring home to eat. When I was in OA and was on their strictest low carb diet they had (back then you couldn't eat off in any way), we couldn't have pizza which didn't matter to me because I didn't like it then or perhaps I had convinced myself that I didn't. Anyway, he would go buy pizza and bring it home even though he didn't care for it that much either. I never could figure out why he would do this. There was a theory in our little OA group that husbands who did this may have wanted us to lose weight, but because of their insecurity, they were afraid if we got thin that we would leave them. Not sure if that is it or not. I'm not sure if they know or not.
I don't know if I mentioned this here or not ... I had asked my husband what he thought I would look like at 130 something pounds ... he said sickly. I am not sure why he said that because he has seen me at that weight before but I have been heavy so long ... I think he is insecure when it comes to my weight loss. He was like that in 2010 when I loss 30lbs ... men are interesting
Old 03-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 138.6/122.4/120

Height: 5ft 5"

Quote:
my boyf makes a point of eating all the food i cant have 2-i think he think its funny and it sounds cruel but he gets pleasure out of it wen i have given in b4 and eaten junk food-whether they support weight loss or not(my boyf says i shouldnt lose weight but i want to b where im happy 4me)and maybe he doesnt like it wen i reach my goal because it would make him jealousnin a way..?does that make sense or do u think thats overreacting?i get no support from him at all for my dieting but i hage turned that around and i am actually more determined!dont give up and believe in urself!:-)
Closed Thread