Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning.

I woke to fbs of 92 this morning but a serious belly ache. I ate a bland breakfast.

Ruth, the soup sounds wonderful. Our asparagus is gone . I've never dried many foods, I will have to look into that.

I am planning on attending a softball game today, watching the gs play in his wading pool, and maybe an appearance at a barbque later. Off to take some more tums....

Hopefully I will be back later for personals.

Rie
Old 06-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Rie & Ruthie Y'all are so gifted to be able to preserve things. I have frozen foods before (not fruit) and never dried foods. My DH of 31 years loved doing that and I think he and I were both healthiest when we lived on a farm and raised most of our food. He passed away 11 yrs ago and I sure miss his abilities in those areas.

As for finding a way that works for me, I am just trying to get back to eating the way I did before my trip. I think I vacationed from diet as well. I have been eating my steal cut oats with different fruits the past few days and I find that really do feel good and satisfied during the morning. I also find that I don't get hungry at night like I usually do. I'm thinking that my woe is more like Phase 2 of SBD although I don't cut the fat as much as they say. It lets me keep my oats and fruit in the morning and then go more low carb for the rest of the day. I think I also need a glass of red wine at night before I go to bed as it seems that my FBS if low when I drink it and it is high when I don't.

Ruthie You inspire me as you are so busy at your age and I find that I could be busier if I just got things to where I felt like it more. I went to a ladies meeting at church today and totally enjoyed it. I think that will be one of those goals for me to work toward is being more active by getting involved in more things.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #78  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Patty, sometimes you just have to push yourself to get involved. There's a French expression along the lines of "the appetite comes with the eating". I went through a rough time when my husband became ill and just made myself get into things.

Well, I managed to put on two pounds overnight which I know is salt and the FBGL is 6 this morning - 102 in the USA. Sipping Caesars on Ernie's deck down by the Lake and a meal of lasagna may have contributed to the scale jump. I refuse to change my ticker unless the pounds are still here after 48 hours. Life happens - and I sure had fun!

Hope you have a great Sunday.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #79  

Good morning!

Fbs is at 82 this morning. I did my whole 60 minute aerobic workout, even though I am still feeling a little under the weather! It is dreary and raining here again. I am really tired of it.

Ruth, your evening sounds wonderful! 102 isn't terrible. I like the idea of "life happens". In keeping with that spirit, I am going to one of our favorite eateries with my parents tonight to celebrate father's day. I fully intend to eat a lovely meal of fried shrimp. They are lightly breaded so I have been able to eat them ok, carb wise, but probably not so good on fat and calories.

Yesterday I went to a softball game with friends and gs. Then we came home and little guy played in his kiddie pool while I read a book. After supper, son went to work and we played candyland and read stories. I was profoundly tired last night. I have been rising with the sun, which is about 5am here.

Trish, I agree that sometimes it is necessary to just make yourself get out there. My old behavior was all about eating large amounts of take out and comfort food at home by myself. One of the things I do now is I don't allow myself to scrunge around in sweats and without grooming. I do something with my hair and makeup every morning. It seems to make me more likely to go out in the world. Even if I stay home, I feel better.

Hoping our friend Fatmad is enjoying herself. Have a great day!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #80  

Thanks Ruthie and Rie for the encouraging words. One of the good things that I remember from when I was in Overeaters Anonymous was a little statement where we were told to do 3 things each day that we don't want to do. I often said that there were times thatjust getting out of bed was one. However, the strange thing of late is that I have been waking up feeling really good and ready to hop out of bed. Feeling so good, I've been shocked to see that my FBS is way too high on those days running anywhere between 140s to 160s. After 1 year of trying many different ways of eating that are even approved by ADA, I see think that my body is telling me that it cannot tolerate all those "starches"... at least on a regular daily basis.

One thing I've learned from the latest book I read says not to say "I want to lose weight", but to say "I'm willing to _____ in order to lose weight" or whatever the goal or desire is. So I thought about how I am willing to eat in order to get my FBS down to normal and to lose weight to be healthy. For starters, I have to quit saying "I don't want to low carb any more" and start saying with conviction that "I am willing to eat lower carb not necessarily low or no carb but I'm willing to go lower so I can lose weight and be healthy". I can live with this.

Got the new attitude now to keep it. Still don't want to count carbs, but at this point, I know what is low and what isn't. I'm not willing to give up dairy or fruit because I think they have their place in healthy eating. Althought there will be times when lifestyle calls for it not to be, I think that foods need to be as close to the way it comes naturally, most of the time I will not eat much of anything with flour or sugar. I had a very tasty egg salad for breakfast. Got DH his favorite Zaxby's chicken fingers for Father's day and came home and made his fries and made a bowl of fruit for him. Then made myself a nice size salad and topped it with my half of the chicken fingers, whole wheat crackers and a desert of a new frozen diet fruity type yogurt bar Tony bought today. Plan to have a shrimp stirfry for supper and perhaps have a small snack of Greek yogurt with strawberries and almonds later this evening.

Decided to start taking more cinnamon and chromium picolinate each day hoping it will help get the bs back down. I really don't want to double the Metformin if I don't have to. I'm going to start checking bs throughout the day until I get things back down to normal. Oh, guess one of those 3 things to do I don't want to do will be exercising until it becomes a habit.

Miss Mad hope she is having a great time.

Y'all have a nice Sunday evening.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 06-19-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 AM   #81  
Come on Spring!

Patty, I think you are on the right track. I am glad you are feeling a morning "high" - not BGL but energy. Yes, we can have carbs but we have to chose carefully. I think the ADA and our CDA are way behind the times. I argue a lot with my dietitian and she has finally given up pushing bread and orange juice on me. We are friends and she wanted me to work with her at the Clinic with the Managing Diabetes Group. After several discussions, we realized that just would not work out since I won't toe the line to the CDA philosophy.

Over in the Beck part of the Forum, someone posted that they were working on "one small objective per day aside from normal house duties". I'm going to start following that which means some of my ever-growing pile of "niggles" may get done. Today it will be trying out my new electric weed whacker.

Riemontana, I'm like you on the morning routine. Shower, hair and mascara and lipstick is my morning routine and I'm always dressed for the day by around 7:30. It's a self-respect kind of thing.

and everyone else. Come and post!

FBGL is down to 5.2 this morning but weight is still up there. I am sure it's water weight and know the taco bake last night kept me "salty". Today's food will be pretty pure. My raised garden bed is producing tons of leaf lettuce and huge heads of romaine. I wish I could share with you chicks because it sure takes a while for one person to eat a whole head of romaine! It does make a good stir-fry though. "Careful with the soy sauce, Ruthie!"

Time to get dressed and ready for the day. I need to take a mess of accounting stuff to town this morning to dump off at the auditor's office. After that, the day is mine!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #82  

Height: 5'2"

Starting another busy week--baseball tournament team tryouts for my son and 8th graduation for my duaghter on Wed. night. Not so perfect over the weekend as we ate out a few nights but I did not gain any weight so I am happy.
My house is a mess. I am a noncleaner and a big clutter queen so I have decided to join Flylady.com and I am on my way to a cleaner and less cluttered home. Doing it in small baby steps but hopefully by the end of the summer my home will look brand new. Off to start some errands this morning before making reminder blood drive calls for my mom who is running a blood drive at our church. She is in NYC today for a check up for her arm that she just had surgery on. Hoping that the feeling comes back and that she is able to use her arm, hnad and shoulder agian. Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #83  

Happy Monday.

Fbs at 94 this morning, probably because I didn't sleep well. I am waiting for a call back from the Dr office. I hope to get in to see about my stomach this morning.

I enjoyed an off plan dinner with my Dad last night. It was fun to also see all the families with Dads who were there for celebration.

Lyndy87, you sure have a busy life! Enjoy the graduation if we don't talk before then.

Ruth, my Dr is often torn between pride in how well I have brought things under control and rueful head shaking because he thinks I am a little rigid. he is completely supportive of his patients that do more extreme low carb than I do, though. I haven't met with the dietician since I was first diagnosed. I don't go on any of the diabetes sites, though because I get frustrated and confused at their dietary advice. Good luck with the weed wacker.

Pattygirl, Good luck to you as you continue to find your way. Along with Ruth, I have a problem with the ADA recommendations. I don't want to go back to the swings that come with that many carbs. That being said, what do you mean about not "giving up fruits and dairy?" I enjoy the dairy in my diet and eat some every day. My go-to evening snack is yogurt. I eat greek yogurt for breakfast often. I love low fat cream cheese and I use it on sandwiches. I have had more trouble with fruit, limited to some berries and melon. The serving sizes for apples, bananas, grapes etc are just too tiny I'd rather "spend" those carbs elsewhere. Just wondering and sharing.....

I think it is terrific that you are waking with energy. Probably not the bs, maybe you are just resting well.

I hope everyone has a great day. TTL
Rie
Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #84  

Good afternoon everyone. FBS was extremely high this morning, but DD called and talked until very late and made it to bed around 3:30 am and then mowers etc woke me this morning when they came around 8ish to do the lawn. I had to jump up and go talk to the man about replacing some dead/dying plants in the front yard. By the time I ate breakfast and checked it again, it FBS had come down about 21 pts. I also ate a few nuts before I went to bed which I've read some people should do if up at 3 am. However, I was upset with myself after I ate them because I know that rule of thought NEVER has worked for me. So FBS really wasn't fasting 5 to 6 hrs later. Oh well, I did lose a lb this week but it's a recycle lb not below those yet, but at least I didn't gain.

Rie The "I'm not willing to give up dairy and fruit" statement I made was because so many low carb diets call for cutting out milk products and fruit. I was thrilled this morning when I got a daily email from a healthy eating site telling what fruits are considered low carb and good for diabetics. Those are pretty much fruits that I already eat or like some of them named were cherries (too expensive to buy), apricots, pears, kiwi, berries, apples and oranges.

I never like Greek yogurt, but I've gone back to eating the steal cut oats and use it in the oats. I decided that I could and would develop a taste for it because it is so healthy. I think I need to spread my eating over the day into smaller meals and snacks. Not something I wanted to do, but if that has a big effect on my BS then I am willing to learn to do that as well. I've had a strong feeling for a while that I need to do it.

Well, my DH who stays up all night and sleeps during the morning should be stirring soon so I better get off this pc. Got some things I want to get done before he gets up.

Mad, Lindy87, Lindyloo and others reading.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #85  

Just a quick post. It seems that I have an ulcer. Maybe other things going on as well. Initial diagnosis was pancreatitis - which scared me- but a CT scan and other bloodwork ruled that out. Although they were talking about admitting me to the hospital, I am pleased to be home this evening with medications. I will have additional tests tomorrow.

The bad news is that because of the contrast they gave me, I can't take metformin tonight or in the morning. Kinda freaks me out. My Dr, knowing me, told me to relax that a couple of higher readings won't kill me. I will settle for the cottage cheese that is on the menu tonight and rest til tomorrow..

Take care all
Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #86  
Come on Spring!

Reimontana, sorry about the ulcer but glad you found a reason for your discomfort. Your doc is right - a couple of high readings won't do any damage. I hope the meds ease your pain and that further testing finds a speedy solution.

I'm bopping along with decent readings but still haven't dropped all the weekend water weight. It goes on overnight and takes three days to leave. What's with that? I've been eating healthy salads and delicious strawberries within reason so I know I'm on the right track.

No gym but I'm sure getting exercise with all the gardening I do lately. It's 300 feet from the back door to the end of my garden and I make many many trips, usually pushing a wheelbarrow so that has to count as exercise, right? I'm also making a conscious effort to walk quickly. I don't know if it burns more calories but it sure gets you there faster. It also makes you look more energetic which is a good thing.

It's the longest day of the year. Do something special for yourself today. I'm planning to slather my poor body with lotion after my shower.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #87  

Good morning!

Even though I don't like pain pills, I had a really solid night of sleep - the first for several days. It is keeping the pain under control and I feel less stressed.

I woke to a fbs of 77 this morning, without meds. Weird! Ruth, you and I keep commenting about the mysteries of our bodies. Perhaps it is because I ate so sparingly yesterday. Then again my fbs is usually up if I don't eat.... Oh well, I will take the reading thankfully today. I am headed back to the dr for another day of tests. I have really good insurance but I am still concerned about the bills that I am racking up. Oh well. Money isn't everything.

Ruth, I think your "workout" sounds wonderful. As someone who grew up on a farm, I remember that we never worried about "excercising" LOL. I remember being out in the sugar beet field hoeing weeds with my infant son in a snuggly carrier on my chest. I watched a jogger go by on the road. I thought (somewhat nastily) "come on out here and I will show you what excercise is!" So, lugging that wheelbarrow, pulling weeds, etc is a great workout. My son keeps telling me to get a pedometer so I can keep track of how much more active I am than I used to be.....

Well, off to the dr. TTL
Old 06-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #88  

Ruthie Sure sounds like exercise to me and I have seen gardening on lists of things to do to get exercise.

Rie Sorry to hear about the ulcer, but it is treatable and hope you have a quick recovery. I pray your other tests turn out well.

My FBS was down 10 pts this morning and I was down 2 more lbs. which also helps me to feel so much better. Although I'm still working on losing recycled lbs. Have to lose 4 more lbs before I can start losing new lbs. I'm not eating a lot of food at one time any more... gone to eating less at a time stretching food throughout the day and evidently it works. Make me kind of a grazer, but whatever it takes.

Tony's DD has been calling wanting us to move back to So. FL. We want to make the move, just have to figure out if it is possible with this economy like it is. It would be so nice to be around family again. Hope we can work it out.

Have a nice evening.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #89  

Height: 5'2"

Great day sticking to my diet so far. Running off to watch my son try out for the tournament team for baseball. Hope he makes it but it will make our lives crazy with practice and traveling to other towns at least 5 day/nights a week for most of the summer. Pysched about my daughter's 8th grade graduation tomorrow! Sticking to my Fly Lady goals also. So far a pretty good day. Even had a nap! TTYL
Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #90  

Hello all.

Just wierd: fbs is in the mid 70's all day - without metformin. Probably because I am eating very small amounts of food. Waiting til the morning for more test results. Dr. upped my pain meds and wants me to try to get comfortable. I don't like them but I understand his methods.

I am a little anxious from being away from work so long.

Lyndy 87. Too cool. Staying on plan while doing all the running you are doing is an accomplishment! Good for you. Enjoy the graduation.

Trish, great news on the fbs and the scale! It sounds like you are finding your way.

Fatmad, here's hoping you are still enjoying yourself. I can't wait for your descriptions of what you are doing!

Ruthie, hope the gardening went well today.

To anyone that I missed with this confused brain: have a good evening!
Closed Thread