Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #16  

Height: 5'2"

Beautiful day again today. Stuck to my "beachy" plans so far and am feeling pretty good. Any tricks on getting my first reading in the morning to be normal? My FBS is always extremely high in the morning no matter what I try. My A1C is back down to 6.7 and will lower next time since I am relly watching what I have been eating.
Going to my son's baseball game tonight. Should be nice and cool tonight. Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 06-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #17  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Lindy, I find that a lower carb dinner always makes my FBGL lower in the a.m. - sometimes too low. You'll need to experiment.

Reimontana, it will take a long time for the thinking about carbs and diabetics changes. The Canadian Diabetic Association recomments too many IMHO but I no longer bother arguing it with my clinic's dietician. She sees my results!

Re travel, if any of you ever head up to south eastern Ontario, I do hope you'll let me know. I live in a simply beautiful area and can show you and yours around. I've had several visitors from this site including dear departed Meowee, CottagebytheSea, Jiffypop, Beachgal, Leenie and Ilene. I even had a visit from Shad who is a New Zealander.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Lyndy87, good job on being on plan. Keep stringing those good days together and everything will take care of itself. I struggled with my morning fbs for a while. It was interesting because my doc is the one who helped me find a solution. For a while, I set an alarm and tested at 3am. His theory that I was getting fairly low at night was correct. In his words, essentially, my liver was going into a panic and flooding me with sugar before I woke up. The solution was a small carb=protein snack in the late evening. My go to is light and fit yogurt = 15 carbs. There is also the possibility of sleep apnea or other sleep problems. If I don't get a good night's sleep, my morning readings are up. Good luck.

Ruth, it is sad that there is so much different information out there. My son called last night after his wife got really mad at him. He went on a diabetic websight, got some recipes and made her a meal. She was really angry because it was too carby and thought he was being insensitive. He was confused. Too bad.

Thanks for the invite. Your home sounds lovely. How great that you actually met Meowee. She was such an inspiration to me and I finally stopped lurking shortly before she passed. May she RIP
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #19  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I am often baffled about the relatively high carb levels given by diabetic associations, especially as more info comes out about the benefits of lower carb. Even for those who don't agree with atkins induction levels, its pretty obvious that lowering carb levels and lower glycemic foods makes a difference. The dietitian at my hospital did agree about lower glycemic foods, but still thinks I need at leat 140 g carbs a day. My sugars don't come down below 7-8 with that kind of diet, even with carefully watching types of carbs, and the cravings and hunger are too much for me. I do fall of my planned eating from time to time, but I can get back on track and fell better there.
I expect that as time goes on there will be more info about lowering carb levels.
I allowed myself to go off plan last night and had battered fish and fries. Well, the fries were sweet potato fries, and after one bite of the crunchy crispy batter, (yum) I had enough and didn't have any more, at the fish and not the batter, and lots of coleslaw and salad. No cravings today. Was able to stay on plan no problem. Also walked the dog a couple of times, so had a good day.
thanks friends, feels good to keep in touch
Old 06-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #20  
Come on Spring!

Oh dear! Just remembered I had a ticket to a fish fry last night and forgot. I used my small propane BBQ and thoroughly ruined a small steak I was planning to use for fajitas. Low propane makes a gray steak!
I made a recovery though and had a frozen dinner which I "healthied up" by adding some more chicken and some asparagus.

The ticker is down to 181 this morning so there's hope to be in the 170s this month. BGL was a nice 4.6!

My body is feeling the effects of the week's physical exertion. I went to bed at 9 last night feeling pretty "poorly" but a good night of sleep has me back raring to go. I am off to town in a few minutes to get a weed whip and a power washer so I can tackle another busy day. Physical stuff certainly helps take my mind off mental stuff - like the looming audit of the Mill books.

We are selling another 40 loaves of bread at the Mill at ten this morning. I plan to stay away. I cannot have butter and warm bread in the house at the same time! I'll save my carbs for blueberries which are on special this week.

Happy weekend!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #21  

Going to the annual Fireman's parade this morning. Firetrucks and bands from firehouses from all over Long Island march in this huge parade through town. Later on they will have the fireman races were they compete (the bands compete in the parade also). Going to a friends house to watch as her home is on the route. Stayed on plan last nite even though I wanted to eat more for a snack, I just grabbed a cheese stick and went to bed. Yay me! Off now to wake up the kiddies now to get going. Have a great day!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #22  

Good Morning!

fbs at 82 this morning. I did my whole weight lifting routine and 40 minutes of light wii aerobics. It felt pretty good.

Yesterday I picked the asparagus on our farm with my gs. I took some pictures of my mom helping gs plant pumpkins. He will have fun growing them this summer.

We were supposed to go out for chinese food last night and it got cancelled. I ate very lightly yesterday with few carbs. Supper was fish and veggies. I thought that I forgot to take my metformin, so when I "remembered" at 830 I took it. I spent the next couple hours fighting lows. That was the first time that has happened in a while. I guess I should have tested before I took it. I was at 78 before supper. It was kind of scary because my son was at work and I was alone with the little guy. I need to be more careful.

Today is laundry and a barbque tonight.

Lyndy87 I would like to spend the day watching firemen Good job, you are really kicking it and staying on plan

Ruth, I am with you - fresh bread is my undoing! They often serve freshly baked breadsticks at my work and it is so hard to smell them as they bake. Congrats on the ticker!

I hope Trish, Fatmad, and everyone is having a great day!
Old 06-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #23  
Come on Spring!

Well, I ended up with a loaf of very wonderful rustic bread but am having just the crust end of it with Laughing Cow cheese, a sliced tomato and some basil and black olives with a lettuce and cucumber salad. The rest will be sliced and go into the freezer for another day. I feel so virtuous!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #24  
Come on Spring!

Fly-by post! Weight the same and BGL 4.6(82.8). The bread definitely was tempting but it's in the freezer.

Today will be a bit of a challenge as I'm off to a pot-luck supper tonight. I am taking a strawberry rhubarb pie and ice cream which I will find easy to resist. (I hate the way piecrust makes my teeth feel and always have.) I do know there will be meat, probably BBQ, and Heather is bringing a salad so I should be OK if I can hold the line on wine sipping.

I have a difficult week ahead for many reasons and want to be in control of the health part of my life. I also want to feel really good in my dress at the wedding Saturday.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #25  

Just a quick fly by"

FBS up this morning at 101 and I haven't a clue why. Perhaps because I just slept too long for once. I was in the low 90's last night and did my regular routine. Oh well. This disease is so strange sometimes. It is not A+B=C. I wish it was.

I hope that everyone has a good day. I am planning to get my plants out. It is sooooo late but our weather has been non-stop rain for weeks. TTLY
Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #26  

Stayed on plan today since I veered off in the wrong direction yesterday. I find it harder on the weekends because everyone is home and my schedule is off. Gonna look through a bunch of receipes I copied years ago to find something different for dinner tomorrow. I love to try new recipes. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #27  

Hi all.

I got my plants in, even though I was "helped" by gs. I am looking forward to cucumbers, tomatoes, mint/stevia tea in the near future.

My bs settled in the low 80's today, despite this morning's high reading. Well, dinner of fresh asparagus from our farm, and baked chicken.

Ruth, we think alike. When I am asked to bring something that I should not eat, I often take something that I don't like all that much. Although I like pie, I have never developed a taste for rhubarb. LOL

Debbie, everyday on plan is another day on plan, right!?. LOL hang in there! Let us know what you find for new recipes, ok?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby. Been OP all week and kept the 8 lb loss for the week. So weight is back down to 1 lb less than what I gained on vacation. Am eating healthier than I have in a long time. Will be making Sundays my weigh in days.

Finally had some rain today for about an hour or so... just glad to get it.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #29  
Come on Spring!

Not a good food day yesterday but this morning's reading is 4.2 so The body is a mysterious machine. Maybe it was the wine I drank at the simple little potluck that turned into a BBQ extravaganza for over 20 people. Joanne just kept inviting folks. So much for our planned quiet little four "girl" dinner. We sure had fun though and I met some new fun folks.

Slight challenge today as I have my quilting group meeting which is lunch. We bring our own but there is always some absolutely yummy looking dessert which I am becoming very adept at resisting. When people insist, I ask if they know what to do about a diabetic coma.

On with the day - gym first!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #30  

Hi all!

The weather is volatile here. We had a big tornado last year - very rare for our town and there are warnings east of here tonight. Here on this end of town, it is nice.

Fbs ranged from 80 - 95 today, not bad. I got in a 40 minute hard aerobic workout this morning without having too much knee pain. I guess I am on the mend. It felt good to just go for it this morning, even if it was not as long as usual. Working out makes me feel strong, so I am looking forward to getting back to my usual routine!

Ruth, good idea about the "diabetic coma" LOL. Unfortunately, I haven't told many people about my diabetes. I'm not really sure why....

Trish, You go girl! You are doing wonderful! What a weight loss.

I hope our friend Fatmad is doing well. I wish you all a pleasant evening.
Closed Thread